Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2024, 18:02   #2326
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
My 320d's EGR cooler was also replaced today under this recall campaign.
Hi Dr.AD, I gave my car for some body shop work at Deutsche Motoren and was supposed to get it back today. The SA called up and said my car (based on VIN number) is showing up for EGR replacement and that they will do it FOC and return it tomorrow evening or Friday morning since part is available.

While I am happy they are doing it, it's the second replacement for me. Just before your message above I got my first one done at Navnit Motors in Aug 2019.

Will BMW do a recall twice? Are DM guys trying to cover up some other issue?

Since I won't get the part back (as they will have to send it to BMW) any idea how to check whether they really replaced it and not just bought time. They can always show someone else's EGR part, right?

Has anyone's car been called twice?
Kelly66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 18:43   #2327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
Hi Dr.AD, I gave my car for some body shop work at Deutsche Motoren and was supposed to get it back today. The SA called up and said my car (based on VIN number) is showing up for EGR replacement and that they will do it FOC and return it tomorrow evening or Friday morning since part is available.

Has anyone's car been called twice?
Wow! Amazing coincidence that you asked this today when I had the exact same experience just today! I was about to post this in next couple of days.

My car went for some routine work (HSRP installation, actually) at KUN BMW (former Navnit Motors, where my car has been serviced since Day 1), and they said the exact same thing. My VIN check showed EGR Cooler recall again. And they had the part in stock and they replaced it the same day.

Even I am surprised that the same recall is happening twice (or in fact it is thrice for me, since first time was way back in 2019, and then there was another recall again in August 2023, and this is the third time now). It does look like BMW is not getting that EGR cooler design right, and there is still some problem that they are trying to solve.

While I am also a bit perplexed that a part needs multiple recalls, I think it is genuine and you should rest your fears or doubts. I am happy that they did this proactively, on time, and free of cost to me.

Quote:
Since I won't get the part back (as they will have to send it to BMW) any idea how to check whether they really replaced it and not just bought time. They can always show someone else's EGR part, right?
Kun BMW (and earlier Navnit too) have a system where they take a video of work done (with clearly showing the old part out and new part installed in the car) and they send me that video (they have some link sharing system) through official message. I got that video today too.

Overall, I found BMW dealers and their systems to be fairly trustworthy, and unless you have a strong evidence or reason otherwise, I would believe they changed the part. Think of it like this, if they did not want to change it, they need not have told you anything at all. They proactively told you about this recall, and BMW closely tracks part numbers of parts replaced and new parts under this recall campaign. So they can not just buy time. Unless they change the parts and recorded the part numbers and closed this recall, this recall will keep showing in the system if they just buy time, and there is nothing that they gain from this. So unless you have some strong reason, trust it is all fine and enjoy your car!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 20th March 2024 at 18:48.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 19:11   #2328
BHPian

Quote:

It does look like BMW is not getting that EGR cooler design right, and there is still some problem that they are trying to solve.
Thanks for your quick reply. It is reassuring indeed.

The SA told me that this EGR issue would be coming up because of contaminated fuel and he was trying to sell his additive worth Rs.1000/- for every tank full. I know some BHPians are mixing these additives but seems very expensive for every top up.

Quote:
Kun BMW (and earlier Navnit too) have a system where they take a video of work done (with clearly showing the old part out and new part installed in the car) and they send me that video (they have some link sharing system) through official message. I got that video today too.
DM did share a video while making the job card. Will ask them share a video of the work done too
Old 20th March 2024, 22:57   #2329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Even I am surprised that the same recall is happening twice (or in fact it is thrice for me, since first time was way back in 2019, and then there was another recall again in August 2023, and this is the third time now). It does look like BMW is not getting that EGR cooler design right, and there is still some problem that they are trying to solve.
BMW is running this EGR campaign for a while. They inspect the EGR for any blockage. If yes, then only replace the EGR. Otherwise not.

BMW India has set a frequency of 3 Months or 3000 Kms; whichever is earler.

On my X1 20d, this campaign has been performed 4 times already. Every time they find EGR on my X1 20d okay and DO NOT REPLACE it.

Your car would be doing it same.

Part cost Rs 60,000.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 08:11   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
BMW is running this EGR campaign for a while.

Part cost Rs 60,000.
Yes, including labour it is 75K. I was told this campaign may not last long. Is this EGR blockage because of contaminated fuel? After the campaign we will have to spend money from our pocket, unless BMW fixes the issue with these replacements.
Old 21st March 2024, 11:10   #2331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
BMW is running this EGR campaign for a while. They inspect the EGR for any blockage. If yes, then only replace the EGR. Otherwise not.
True. That specific component is "EGR Cooler", which is part of the EGR system. This is a faulty component and is under a global recall .

Quote:
On my X1 20d, this campaign has been performed 4 times already. Every time they find EGR on my X1 20d okay and DO NOT REPLACE it.
OK, I see. Not replaced even once in four checks is a bit surprising. Mine was checked three times by now, and replaced two times out of the three.

Quote:
Yes, including labour it is 75K. I was told this campaign may not last long. Is this EGR blockage because of contaminated fuel?
Nope, I do not think this has anything to do with fuel quality. This is a global issue, and a global recall. This component ("EGR Cooler" to be specific) is faulty and BMW has replaced it globally under a global recall.

Here is another thread on this topic: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ible-fire.html (BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!)

Here is one more old news but related to the same topic: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/bmw-re...hem-catch-fire

Quote:
After the campaign we will have to spend money from our pocket, unless BMW fixes the issue with these replacements.
I do not think you have to worry about having to pay for this. This will be covered under the recalls, at least for a foreseeable amount of time. This is a not a use related defect. As mentioned in above threads, BMW has admitted that this is a faulty component and they will keep replacing it under their recall campaign, free of cost to the customers.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 21st March 2024 at 11:16.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 11:21   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. The wear indicator will be closer to 5mm or so. You will still have some life with the pads after the wear indicators are exposed.

As you mention that you don't brake hard, that could be the reason for the 60K life that iDrive is predicting for the pads. It calculates the wear based on how hard you brake and at what speeds you brake etc.
Hi graaja, I was getting some slight squealing noise occassionally while apply brakes. I have driven around 39600 kms and my front stock brake pad is still showing 60K km to go and rear stock is showing 45K km to go

Couple of days ago I got my EGR cooler replaced FOC and asked them to check the pads. Front pads are 4.5mm thick and Rear pads are 5 mm thick. Although the body shop guy was saying there is some uneven wear in the brake disc, the technician said it was fine.

They cleaned and lubricated the brake pads and they went for a test drive without me and said there is no noise, but after about an hour of driving I can still hear a slight squeal albeit less frequently. Is it possible for the disc to wear out before the pads do?

Anyway, I will be going for my annual service in July and will check my rear shock absorber (since I replaced the front shocks in Nov 23) as well since someone mentioned this noise could be from the shocks. Will also check the brake disc thickness.

Any thoughts from you and other friends will be helpful.

PS: Just finished reading every post of your amazing "Fat to Fit journey". Will reply there soon.
Old 25th March 2024, 08:37   #2333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it possible for the disc to wear out before the pads do?
PS: Just finished reading every post of your amazing "Fat to Fit journey". Will reply there soon.
Mostly the discs last for two sets of pads. In my car, just once the front discs wore out with one set of pads. So, I think there is a possibility of the disc wearing out in your case too. The best would be to get the thickness checked.

The brake pad life indicator on the iDrive is useless. The displayed life can go from 20K kilometers to 2K kilometers in a day when the wear indicator on the pads is exposed. I usually do a visual inspection of the pads to gauge the thickness.

Saw your post in the Fat to Fit thread. Thank you for the kind words Will respond in detail there.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 19:42   #2334

Quote:
Hi graaja, I was getting some slight squealing noise occassionally while apply brakes. I have driven around 39600 kms and my front stock brake pad is still showing 60K km to go and rear stock is showing 45K km to go
Just got my all 4 rotors and break pads changed from Infinity Lalbaugh. the iDrive status is worthless as previously mentioned. mine was showing 32000 left on rear pads, however I told the SA to have a look on all of them. and all of them required replacement. this is the second replacement of pads, so the wear of rotors is expected obviously. 'It's just the sensors aren't reading the break pads either properly.

SA also told that sensor is displaced, which I expect that should come as warning or some sort, but northing on that lines.

Also, got the EGR replaced along with.

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-egr-removed.jpg

This is the EGR valve by the way, which was cleaned and replaced during the process.

did anyone notice the throttle response change with EGR replacement ?? just curious to know

Last edited by raghavrayudu : 27th March 2024 at 19:57.
raghavrayudu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 08:13   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavrayudu View Post

SA also told that sensor is displaced, which I expect that should come as warning or some sort, but northing on that lines.

did anyone notice the throttle response change with EGR replacement ?? just curious to know

Will get the brake disc thickness checked in July. THe pads are still fine based on the thickness measured.

After EGR replacement, vehicle felt lot smoother while accelerating.

Most Viewed