Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2013, 21:01   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Considering a 320 D, requires inputs on ownership experience

Honestly, there are many other options around.

If you feel that the 3 maybe a bit of a compromise, might I recommend a VW Passat or a Superb - will give you good levels of driving pleasure, space for the family, and also an idea of German maintenance

The 3 is a wonderful car - it might be apt for your family as your child is only 9 years.
Yes, the RFT does compromise on the ride quality, but honestly - the Fortuner isn't really better (a family man should be looking at an Innova TBH).
The performance, BMW peace of mind with their superb packages, handling, and features makes it a sure shot winner over the Fortuner.

Might also be worth checking out the old 520d post discounts if there are any in stock.

As for long trips - there shouldn't be any issues as long as you take good care of the car.
Our E60 525d has run similar milage, and has given us no issues in its 5-6 years with us.

Another option: Honda CR-V? You have low running, and the CR-V definitely offers a better ride, handling, and overall levels of satisfaction.
Old 3rd November 2013, 21:57   #317
BHPian

I am a huge fan of the 320D. I have driven it for few hundred kms on multiple occasions, one of them being a need-for-speed run on the express highway. It is indeed an ultimate driving machine. The control, grip and handling is of different level. However, on my way back I was sitting on the back seat. At the end of the ride I decided to buy a bimmer only when I can buy another car for my family. No kidding. The back seat can be very harsh on the occupants. Its a drivers car. Period.
ashtorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 10:10   #318
BHPian

I have booked a res 320d baseline with xenon. Expecting tha car to reach kolkata by 15th november. Only sore point is the ICE. Base system is very bad. Any upgrade possibility?
Also any sense on getting BSI for 6 years 120K @ 565K?
Old 4th November 2013, 14:43   #319
Senior - BHPian

the Bavarian will definitely satisfy the driver inside you and it is a recommended purchase.

However, if you are going to be compromising on what you want the most, please might I suggest a Pajero Sport instead of the Fortuner?
You will be losing out on features and equipment, safety, refinement and ride quality extending to comfort. All of this because you think you will be able to ferry a few more? Remember the trick is to simply find a mitsubishi dealer/service center that you can trust and maintain a close relationship with.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 17:39   #320
Senior - BHPian

BMWs are always have been driver's car, I believe. I never owned one but know someone on our forum who would help you with queries. So please get in touch with R Sudarshanan or PM him. He will help you with many real questions and answers. He has a BMW 320D in his stable since very long time
Old 4th November 2013, 22:06   #321
BHPian

Doesn't look like a boat any more, its a ship, with drmothit, you, me and few more here I am sure. Even I am osculating between these two choices for a long time now.

Let me put it this way, you need a dependable girl you can take home to your mother and get married, and, also a girl who is high maintenance, arm candy one you can take to the club and make everyone jealous in a sec, the adrenaline rush it can give you is amazing . Everybody wants to combine both but its an eternal and illusive answer I think none have ever got, in cars too.

Cannot tell you about the ownership cost on 3 series since I don't own one as yet, but will sincerely advise you not to buy a new one, it will depreciate at least 30% in one year. You get good, low run well maintained and possibly still under BIS, 2-3 yrs old 320d for 17-20L, on the sidelines I suggest to go for the petrol 325i, 328i, 330i maintenance will be less you may not need BIS also, since your mileage is less (also considering this will not be your only car), you might get one for as low as 14-15L if you are lucky, but this will only be your drive.

Now coming back to your family needs, just go and buy a new comfortable Toyota, period. Don't even think of combining your family needs with your driving pleasure, with the 3 series only you will be happy in your family!
Old 4th November 2013, 23:10   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Now coming back to your family needs, just go and buy a new comfortable Toyota, period. Don't even think of combining your family needs with your driving pleasure, with the 3 series only you will be happy in your family!
On the other hand what I am planning is buy the BMW new and enjoy the BSI for 5 years. Buy the Toyota as a used vehicle. 3-4 year old with 50k on odo can be had for 15L approx and this beast is meant for much more than that. So you can keep using it care free for almost a decade more.
Old 4th November 2013, 23:21   #323
Senior - BHPian

If you were to ask me, this is how I would put it:

If you have the money to afford the thrill of owning one, get the BMW

A car for everyone in the house-
Nissan Teana: This thing is the most spacious, comfy, lounge-like car this side of an E-Class (if you can live with the quirky styling and the lazy V6) heck its even got an ottoman captain seat and a panoramic roof. Oh and I'm sure one can find big discounts on it
Pajero Sport: nuff said everyone knows about its capabilities. Figure out a way to conquer the fear of owning a Mitsubishi and this is the one.
Ssangyong Rexton:The first Korean car that's made me think hard. Amazing ride quality, good motor, not too flash use of led's.
Volkswagen Passat: Should have a better rear seat and ride quality than the beemer but to me, it lacks the x-factor.

In the end, none of the cars in this list will have you compromise on things like comfort, safety and features for everyone in the car. You won't feel cheated that is
Old 4th November 2013, 23:59   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
On the other hand what I am planning is buy the BMW new and enjoy the BSI for 5 years. Buy the Toyota as a used vehicle. 3-4 year old with 50k on odo can be had for 15L approx and this beast is meant for much more than that. So you can keep using it care free for almost a decade more.
Yes even this reasoning holds good, my take was since we never give up on fresh power change to a newer beemer will be lurking in the mind, will doubt any 3 will stay beyond 3 years max, you will want to change. But right now the present 3 will stay for about 4 more years before the all new one comes in, but the depreciation is killing, if you upgrade a pre-owned 3 to another pre-owned 3 in 3 years you might lose only about 5-7L (considering you bought it for 15-17L now and 3 years later too at the same price), but a new one will shave 12-17L straight.

Well Toyota is Toyota, as you said will make sense buying used too (I have a used Corolla for 3 years now and cannot find a good enough reason to change it), I should have suggested both used in fact. You will be able to wrap it up in 15+15L, win win, 30-37L you get both!
Old 5th November 2013, 00:08   #325
Senior - BHPian

The fortuner is not ideal for highway runs. There are lots of instances even in this forum where the fortuner has toppled. I am not sure, but i believe that the fortuner sold in India does not have Body(Vehicle) Stability Control, while the fortuner sold elsewhere has this.

In my opinion, the Pajero sports is more suitable with its car like driving experience.
Old 5th November 2013, 08:08   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Would really appreciate some information about the Secure packages. From what I understand it works just like any other 0% depreciation insurance. So can I buy any regular insurance and give a miss to secure?

Also what would be your pick amongst Havana and Imperial blue for the 3 series?
Old 5th November 2013, 09:06   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The fortuner is not ideal for highway runs. There are lots of instances even in this forum where the fortuner has toppled. I am not sure, but i believe that the fortuner sold in India does not have Body(Vehicle) Stability Control, while the fortuner sold elsewhere has this.

In my opinion, the Pajero sports is more suitable with its car like driving experience.
Second gen Fortuners have VSC. Fortuner can munch miles on the highway, please check with Guderian and MonaroCV8 on the forum for an opinion.

The driver in you will appreciate and love the 3 series.

The family and the MoH would love the Fortuner or Pajero Sport due to the practicality and not having to compromise on any front. ( headroom, shoulder room, luggage space)

It is a gamble with Pajero Sport. The OP lives in Bengaluru, I think Mitsubishi have a decent A.S.S there.

To hell with practicality,we have got only one life, go with the 3 series.

Last edited by F150 : 5th November 2013 at 09:15.
Old 6th November 2013, 01:38   #328
BHPian

My replies below:

2. Is RFT's a definite NO, should I replace them with a regular tubeless, would that void warranty

I have been using the 320d for the last couple of months and have done around 3000 kms including an out station trip. I have been pretty satisfied with the ride quality. Not had any complaints from passengers either about ride quality.

Tubeless May be better, but IMHO, RFTs are not a 'definite NO'

3. Whats a BMW secure. is this required.

No, you can get similar but cheaper insurance deals. I have a zero depreciation insurance package from a different company.

5. Would the fifth passenger be a tight fit...? I do once a year trip of some 2500 kms, want to ensure that the 5th passenger is not un-welcome.

Doable but not fun. It does get a little crowded. Ok for short trips but for longer trips, not as convenient.

6. What else do I need to be prepared for.

Lot of attention. Yes, it still does attract a second look despite the number of luxury cars on the road. With angel eyes, that should increase further.

Last edited by Sunnysm : 6th November 2013 at 01:40. Reason: Spelling error
Sunnysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 09:29   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Car I have decided is going to be the 320D. Variant would be baseline only because my budget is already over stretched and adding the BSI to this is going to make it even more difficult. So cannot consider any higher variants. I am being offered a earlier baseline which didn't come with Xenons ( all other features are exactly the same) at a good deal. Thinking if its worth considering this.
I also have a similar deal from BLR dealer on the base version w/o Xenons. There is a new Base version with Xenon, but costs Rs 4.5 lacs over the ones w/o. Now, justifying that kind of price increase just for Xenons / Corona rings appears a bit too much to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post
And the difference in price is not much.

I did read on some other forums about people who have replaced halogens by Xenons. It costs over 2000 Euros, so paying an extra 50k is worth it.
It costs nearly 4.5 lacs for the new base version with Xenons!

Note from Team-BHP Support: Posts merged. Please go through forum rules. Use multi-quote instead of creating successive back-to-back posts.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th November 2013 at 10:49. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 6th November 2013, 09:48   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
I also have a similar deal from BLR dealer on the base version w/o Xenons. There is a new Base version with Xenon, but costs Rs 4.5 lacs over the ones w/o. Now, justifying that kind of price increase just for Xenons / Corona rings appears a bit too much to me.
Out here the difference is more around 2-2.5L. If it is 4.5L at your dealer then go with the one without Xenons with eyes closed. Adding BSI for 5 years to this, you are still left with 1.5L cash. No brainer if you ask me.

Most Viewed