Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2018, 15:52   #1606
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Finally took the delivery of the 320d luxury line yesterday after a long wait for this colour and interior combination. I wanted your opinions on a couple of things.

1. Tyre pressure was suggested to be kept at 36 keeping in mind that this car would be doing 2-2.5k kms/month highway travel. Isn't that a bit much considering the recommended is 32?

2. Dealer said Run-in was not required at all and I could redline from the first day. Should I still maintain <3500 rpm for 2000 kms?

3. BSI or is it not required? (3 year/40,000 to start with)
4. To change to the black high gloss grille or not?
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-20180107_172739.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img20180106wa0003.jpg  

shovan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 17:05   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
Finally took the delivery of the 320d luxury line yesterday after a long wait for this colour and interior combination. I wanted your opinions on a couple of things.

Congratulations! Is it the one with the new digital instrument cluster? If yes, do share pictures.
I would go for the black grill too but sometime after you've become bored of the chrome. This colour definitely seems different from the imperial blue I've seen. Or is it the light and the camera?

Would love to know your experience in buying it along with deal you got?
Old 8th January 2018, 17:21   #1608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
Congrats, superb color

Quote:
1. Tyre pressure was suggested to be kept at 36 keeping in mind that this car would be doing 2-2.5k kms/month highway travel. Isn't that a bit much considering the recommended is 32?
I maintain 31 or sometimes 30psi

Quote:
2. Dealer said Run-in was not required at all and I could redline from the first day. Should I still maintain <3500 rpm for 2000 kms?
Dealer is stupid, my idrive (328i) had mentioned this;

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-photo.jpg

^ Check your users manual for more info about your engine, tyres, brakes running in guidelines

Quote:
4. To change to the black high gloss grille or not?
YES, but as your's is luxury line you and has some chrome elements on the front bumper so this mod should not be your immediate plan !

Last edited by karan561 : 8th January 2018 at 17:24.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 16:14   #1609
BHPian

Got a call from BMW yesterday saying that their contract with Parsoli motors in Gujarat ended on 31st December and they are in talks with other people. So basically need to call the BMW helpline anytime the car needs any work and they will figure out what to do with it.
Old 9th January 2018, 18:58   #1610
BHPian

Black Beauty

I had this aspiration to buy a either a BMW/Mercedes before i turned 45. Since September i started coming across adds in the papers for the BMW X1. So from there on started my journey.

Contacted both the dealers in Mumbai. First had a drive of the of the X1 and then followed it with the 320d. There i had the first experience of a RHWD car and it felt different. So it has to be the 320 D. Post that had numerous long test drives and ones in traffic area also.

I also test drove the mercedes benz C 220 d and the Audi A4 2.0 TDI. the benz car sent was dirty and the engine sounded very vocal. the salesperson was also not very keen to sell nor on discounts. I guess MB are the highest selling so dealers dont need to push that hard. Most of the new registration in this segment in my area MH01 seem to be MB over the last few months.

The audi a4 was different experience. the dealer was keen and arranged for many test drives. i personally found the car really good and with current discounting is almost in the Skoda Superb category. the premium plus edition satisfied most requirements and it was a very close finish between the both. Most of the reviews over last 6 months did vote for the a4 as a better overall package. Aslo when you floor the pedal there is significant wheelspeen with the car struggling to deal with so much torque. But coming from a skoda we found the experience reasonably similar and also feedback regarding audi A.S.S was not very positive.

This was my first experience buying a luxury car and was advised by all to be patient and negotiate hard. In BMW 320d there are 3 variants Prestige/Edition Sport(introduced in mid 2017) and luxury line plus (few more features like MID ect)

Then there are demo cars which are unregistered/display cars ect. So one has to call for the vin no and do the due diligence.

In November received a call that the prestige edition had received further discounts and would be available around 35. But i was keen on the either of the higher 2 variants. I was offered a 2016 luxury line for 42 but decided against it since it was almost 2018. So finally decided on black edition sport on which i got a great deal and the car was manufactured in July 2017

Was in close touch with Akshay who really helped me with the vin no. Since he had also purchased car from same dealer it helped.

I did not take any BSI package/extended warranty. Understand that this can be done before the first service. No other changes made. Am continuing with the RFT for now.

The dealer has someone called BMW genius. Post delivery he came to my place and we went through the car features ect in detail.

Last week took it nearby hill station mahabaleshwar will share the experience shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img6632.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img6629.jpg  

amidoc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 00:55   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Congrats, superb color

^ Check your users manual for more info about your engine, tyres, brakes running in guidelines
Thanks! The manual does explain the run in perfectly. Will have to stick to <3500 rpm and not exceed 160km/hr for 2000 kms.
The grille change and de-chroming will definitely be on the top of the mod list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Congratulations! Is it the one with the new digital instrument cluster? If yes, do share pictures.
I would go for the black grill too but sometime after you've become bored of the chrome. This colour definitely seems different from the imperial blue I've seen. Or is it the light and the camera?

Would love to know your experience in buying it along with deal you got?
Thanks! Yes this is with the new digital instrument cluster and the touchscreen iDrive. This is the Mediterranean blue, the same shade which is offered on the new 530d.

There was a price war and Infinity just couldn't match Navnit's price in the end. End of year discounts really worked in my favour.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-20180109_165331-2.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-20180109_165343-2.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-20180109_165633-2.jpg  

shovan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 22:47   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Got a call from BMW yesterday saying that their contract with Parsoli motors in Gujarat ended on 31st December and they are in talks with other people. So basically need to call the BMW helpline anytime the car needs any work and they will figure out what to do with it.
I just posted a long winding post on another thread meant for Parsoli about learning of the closure of Parsoli Motors for BMW sales and services!

I will have to now get in touch with BMW India as to what are they proposing for current BMW owners in the state! My BMW has thrown up a brake fluid change for Jan 2018 so for me to find an alternative is important. Any suggestions from other BMW owners? My FNG who is very competant says he'll manage the brake fluid change with original BMW consumables but I dunno. How complicated is the job? One advantage is that I didn't renew my service package after the 40k got over. Currently the car is approaching 50k and will finish 4 yrs in Jan 2018. Any suggestions is a welcome. Need help in sorting this out.
Old 25th January 2018, 15:37   #1613
BHPian

Hi, I am looking to buy a pre owned 320d through one of my friend who knows the owner. the model is 2015 Dec luxury plus. According to owner this has 7 years, 1L kms warranty and has 4 years BSI. The car has run around 25k kms. Since this will be my first premium car, need advice from fellow experts.

1. What should be the ideal price of this car.?
2. Is BSI and warranty transferrable to new owner?
3. i will be driving the car in a new city, so i hope the new service center will honour both warranty and BSI?
4. Anything i should be looking in particular before i decide.
5. is there a way i can look for service history.

Thanks for fellow members in advance. I am really excited for the car but want to tread carefully as this is first time i am purchasing a used one too
Old 25th January 2018, 15:56   #1614
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
My FNG who is very competant says he'll manage the brake fluid change with original BMW consumables but I dunno. How complicated is the job?
It is not complicated. In fact, there is a lot of DIY information available for these cars and if you can show your mechanic a few good videos on it, he should be able to do it easily. Spares, both genuine and otherwise are available as imports and at cities like Bombay and Ahmedabad pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
1. What should be the ideal price of this car.?
2. Is BSI and warranty transferrable to new owner?
3. i will be driving the car in a new city, so i hope the new service center will honour both warranty and BSI?
4. Anything i should be looking in particular before i decide.
5. is there a way i can look for service history.
1. While it is tough to guess the price without looking at the car, I would negotiate for something around 26lac for it assuming it is in mint condition.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Service, accident and owner history. It is pretty easy to abuse these cars.
5. Yes, you can take it to the dealership and they will, for a fee, tell you the history and inspect the car.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 10:17   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Looks like BMW has removed a few variants of the 3 Series from its list, as far as the configurator goes. I think the information is reliable because all small or big changes are updated in the configurator pretty much in sync with the news we hear. The only variants available now are:

1) 330i M Sport
2) 320d Prestige
3) 320d Edition Sport
4) 320d Luxury Line

Thankfully though, it reduces the confusion between Sportline/Edition Sport, but makes the 330i the most expensive variant you can buy now. Suddenly the Luxury line makes all sense.

For the Ahmedabad BMWers, what I have heard from a very reliable source is that the dealership has been taken by the Old Chevy dealer (Gallops motors) and they have already started the workshop at the old Chevy garage. Showroom should be up and running in a month or two. This is most probably in a joint venture with Infinity Cars BMW Mumbai.
Old 6th February 2018, 13:13   #1616
BHPian

BMW Experts - need a little advisory regarding cold starts. My daily home to office commute is 600 meters in the morning. My car is F30 - 320D (3 year old). The engine never warms up in the morning and I was told by the service advisor that my service intervals are shorter because the car does too many short drives. I can walk to work but often I need the car during the day as well for short visits here and there.

Do I need to warm up the engine every morning as it takes good 10 minutes of idling before the needle moves to 1/3rd temp? Appreciate your advise.
Old 6th February 2018, 13:20   #1617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
by the service advisor that my service intervals are shorter because the car does too many short drives.
I don't think idling for a while is going to help and you will get same results on service intervals or on your driver profile when they hook your car to the server.

What you need to do is, find some excuses to take her longer
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 13:31   #1618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
BMW Experts - need a little advisory regarding cold starts. My daily home to office commute is 600 meters in the morning. My car is F30 - 320D (3 year old). The engine never warms up in the morning and I was told by the service advisor that my service intervals are shorter because the car does too many short drives. I can walk to work but often I need the car during the day as well for short visits here and there.

Do I need to warm up the engine every morning as it takes good 10 minutes of idling before the needle moves to 1/3rd temp? Appreciate your advise.
Get a small petrol beater car for your daily commute and save the 320d for weekend and long drives
Old 6th February 2018, 14:54   #1619
KMT
BHPian

Walk to office, get some free excercise and use the BM on weekends.��
600m from office is a real luxury.��
Old 6th February 2018, 15:39   #1620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post

Your SA is correct. You can assume the service interval comes down by half or one-third if you only use the car for short trips. Your battery is also likely to go dead sooner. Beyond this you need not worry about the overall longevity of the car and you don't have to force yourself to warm it up or take a longer route. Enjoy the short commute

The good news is BMW has condition based servicing, so you will know when the car needs the service and don't skip it even if it feels too soon. Maybe once in 2 weeks if you can use the car on a highway, then it will keep everything in good shape. For the battery (~ Rs40K to replace), you can use a battery charger to top up the battery charge once in awhile.

Can you share the details of service intervals and what service is carried out? I'm just curious.

Last edited by androdev : 6th February 2018 at 15:42.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed