Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 16:28   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Finally saw a Quanto from close quarters yesterday when one was right next to me at a traffic light. While overall it didn't look too bad, let's just say the rear styling is a little "eye-catching"! Also couldn't help but notice that the 15” wheels look too puny for a pretty sizeable car.

BTW no offense to anyone but here's my little take on the car's (slightly awkward) rear-end styling as arrived at by some high profile designers at M&M:

Step 1: Take our popular SUV Xylo
Step 2: Place our beloved SUV Scorpio, about 500 meters behind the Xylo
Step 3: Start the Scorpio and rapidly accelerate to 100 kmph
Step 4: Ram the Scorpio into the Xylo's rear at aforementioned speed (Maintain safe distance from collision site at all times)
Step 5: Upon collision, separate the Scorpio from the Xylo
Step 6: Voilà! Another star SUV results
Step 7: Name it Quanto!
That is so mean

Its actually not that bad. But i get frustrated when people call it SUV !!!! . Call it worlds tallest hatch, or UV without any S. but just because you could not figure out where to keep the spare tyre, dont call it SUV.
Old 18th December 2012, 17:12   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
That is so mean

Its actually not that bad. But i get frustrated when people call it SUV !!!! . Call it worlds tallest hatch, or UV without any S. but just because you could not figure out where to keep the spare tyre, dont call it SUV.
That's what I said too. Overall it looks quite passable to me. Just that the design cues from the Xylo or the influence thereof is undeniable.

As far as the SUV thingy goes, consider it a typo. I meant the world's tallest hatch too!

BTW that's one of the things M&M is expected to do as a car maker right?! Figure out where to keep the spare tire.
Old 19th December 2012, 17:59   #153
Senior - BHPian

Today Silver Jubilee Motors, Pune had their TD vehicles in our office campus. There was an XUV5OO (W8), Ssangyong Rexton, Verito & of course the Quanto (C8). I managed to take the back to back test drives of the Quanto & the XUV, so would try to compare both these vehicles (Unfortunately since it was within the campus, could not take either of the vehicles beyond 4th gear).
1. The clutch travel of the Quanto is more car like, whereas in the XUV the travel is really long (you have to literally lift your heel).
2. Also the gear lever position in the Quanto was quite comfortable compared to the XUV.
3. When pulling from second gear, there were too many vibrations in the Quanto & were also very intrusive. In XUV the engine did not break any sweat in any of the gears & pulled quite effortlessly. Also the engine noise of the XUV is very subdued, inside & outside.
4. The Quanto feels very airy. Both driver & co-driver have separate arm rests (which is quite nice). Dead pedal position is also good in the Quanto.

Overall Quanto is a very good package for rough roads & countryside. If the three pot engine proves itself on the reliability front, then this is this is surely going to fill the coffers of M&M
Old 24th December 2012, 13:09   #154
BHPian

Yesterday checked Duster and Quanto back to back with my family.
Quanto seems to have more space in the back compared to Duster. 3 can sit comfortably in the backside and still have some space left to stretch the legs.

The jump seats in the back are definitely for kids. Seating adults even for short trips is not at all recommended. So we should consider Quanto as a strict 5 seater with a big boot.
Old 24th December 2012, 18:19   #155
BHPian

Is there a way to fit reclining middle row seats as in the ertiga? I mean remove last two seats and make the middle row more comfortable? Is such a modification simple?
Old 24th December 2012, 19:50   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Is there a way to fit reclining middle row seats as in the ertiga? I mean remove last two seats and make the middle row more comfortable? Is such a modification simple?
I doubt it's simple. Any aftermarket modification like this will invariably result in annoying rattling. Best to stick with what m&M are offering and hope they come up with a upgrade.
Old 24th December 2012, 20:14   #157
Senior - BHPian

I think the best move by Mahindra would have been to really launch a 'mini suv' like the Premier Rio at the price of the Quanto. The Indian market lacks a 'mini Pajero' and would have solds in heaps and buckets.

The Quanto just does not appeal to someone who is looking for something in the lines of the Duster but with budget constraints. If the Quanto was like a mini pajero, I would have gladly got it as my second car. Now its going to be a Swift again.
Old 24th December 2012, 20:26   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I think the best move by Mahindra would have been to really launch a 'mini suv' like the Premier Rio at the price of the Quanto. The Indian market lacks a 'mini Pajero' and would have solds in heaps and buckets.

The Quanto just does not appeal to someone who is looking for something in the lines of the Duster but with budget constraints. If the Quanto was like a mini pajero, I would have gladly got it as my second car. Now its going to be a Swift again.
Using the quanto c8 for the last one month and 1600kms with two long drives chennai bangalore return and chennai chidambaram return. I have found the performance amazing to say the least. It has no bodyroll and in fact the height of the car worked to my advantage during night driving when most headlights which would blind me when driving my honda city would cause no problems at all in my quanto.

I guess most people's perception of the vehicle is based on others perceptions rather than a logical analysis. In fact I am surprised as to why " Experts" talk about its handling and dynamics when I had no such issues on the highways and twisted roads. The quanto is great value for money especially when compared to the Duster's overpricing and hype

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th December 2012 at 07:11.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 21:02   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post

I doubt it's simple. Any aftermarket modification like this will invariably result in annoying rattling. Best to stick with what m&M are offering and hope they come up with a upgrade.
Does the xylo have a reclining middle row bench? It might turn out to be a simple transplant..

I've seen something along these lines done to a tata sumo's last row somewhere in these threads....
Old 25th December 2012, 06:14   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

Does the xylo have a reclining middle row bench? It might turn out to be a simple transplant..

I've seen something along these lines done to a tata sumo's last row somewhere in these threads....
Hmm, yes... That is an interesting option.
I think it (Xylo) does, if I remember the ad correctly, I remember the model with long legs stretch out across the reclined seats of the first and second rows. I think the Xylo does advertise a full flat bed made up of the first row passenger seat and the 2 row.
Would be nice for the Quanto if that transplant were possible.
Old 25th December 2012, 11:57   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post

Hmm, yes... That is an interesting option.
I think it (Xylo) does, if I remember the ad correctly, I remember the model with long legs stretch out across the reclined seats of the first and second rows. I think the Xylo does advertise a full flat bed made up of the first row passenger seat and the 2 row.
Would be nice for the Quanto if that transplant were possible.
I don't know about a full bench replacement as it also needs space at the back and I don't know if any thing may obstruct it like the wheel arches etc.

However one thing that the sales guy told me is that the captain seats can be installed from the xylo. If I remember it right it was about 30 k.
Old 2nd January 2013, 01:52   #162

saw a lot in hyderabad and in gujarat
-looks kind of grow on you
- height is imposing, hence could give you a commanding position
- really the power of the engine should be adequate (a bit on the sluggish side)

more importantly

- what would happen if this car was subjected to moose/elk test
-or any other standard safety tests

with high speed roads coming up in our country its high time we start to think and voice these issues.

I do not want to demean our local manufacturers but on the other hand want them to step up to the next level and give us cars which can pass stringent international tests.
Old 4th January 2013, 21:03   #163
BHPian

Just enquired and found that the prices have increased by about 10k for the c6 variant. So the price on road is 8.69 for the c6 variant in Bangalore - thanks to the super high taxes here.
Old 9th February 2013, 20:48   #164
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
It has no bodyroll and in fact the height of the car worked to my advantage during night driving when most headlights which would blind me when driving my honda city would cause no problems at all in my quanto.
No bodyroll ? That's surprising, considerin that the Xylo and the Scorpio are famous for body roll.

Quote:
The quanto is great value for money especially when compared to the Duster's overpricing and hype
+1. Mahindra and TATA provide value, which is what causes our "junta" to squirm at. The Duster is no doubt overpriced along with poor interior quality (dash, rear ac vent, door beads,etc). I personally like the Quanto's value proposition, however, the proportions are a damp squib. The Duster beats it hollow on this count, at least.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th February 2013 at 12:57. Reason: fixing the incorrect quote tags.
Old 9th February 2013, 22:07   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I am surprised as to why " Experts" talk about its handling and dynamics when I had no such issues on the highways and twisted roads...
Depends on how you drove over those places & the kind of maneuvers you did with your Quanto. Having TDed, I could say the car definitely has body roll. This is one car that my friends & I did NOT want to TD for long distance. We were all eager to hit the showroom back.

Quote:
The quanto is great value for money especially when compared to the Duster's overpricing and hype
Quanto definitely is a VFM offering from the specs & features. But Duster beats the Quanto black & blue when it comes to dynamics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
...The Duster is no doubt overpriced along with poor interior quality (dash, rear ac vent, door beads,etc)...
Hmm..interesting point. If we compare Duster as a stand alone product & compare the quality of plastics for the price it costs, YES - the plastics are low quality. But Quanto neither has great plastics compared to Duster, but we are OK to live with it at the price it offers.

If we compare both Duster & Quanto on the plastic quality, price NOT withstanding, Duster has better plastics.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th February 2013 at 22:10.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks