Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 18:48   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Viddy, I do NOT think there is any point in trying to make this guy understand on what Quanto is good or bad at. He "wants" to believe Quanto has NO bodyroll and is desperate to prove the "experts" wrong!!

!
I think vipinendran's main point is that the body roll is the same as in other SUVs like scorpio - which is what I am also trying to say. So lets acknowledge his point.

Vipinendran - it would be great if you started your own thread on your ownership. This will go a long way to help all bhp'ans.

Last edited by deep_bang : 13th February 2013 at 18:52.
Old 13th February 2013, 20:36   #182
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

chill pill ....
guys, lets not turn this into a "i know better" thread
some of our opinions are based on factual numbers & tangible evidence , most of it is based on our 'feel' - nobody is right or wrong here.
we are all here to share our 'views' so that we all get to 'think' from the 'other' perspective, it may or may not change our 'view' but atleast it sets us thinking.
Old 13th February 2013, 20:57   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I think vipinendran's main point is that the body roll is the same as in other SUVs like scorpio - which is what I am also trying to say. So lets acknowledge his point.

Vipinendran - it would be great if you started your own thread on your ownership. This will go a long way to help all bhp'ans.
Thank you for the suggestion Deep Bang, My first service is due during Feb end and if the Mods permit me I promise to come out with an ownership threard.
Old 13th February 2013, 21:08   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
chill pill ....
guys, lets not turn this into a "i know better" thread
some of our opinions are based on factual numbers & tangible evidence , most of it is based on our 'feel' - nobody is right or wrong here.
we are all here to share our 'views' so that we all get to 'think' from the 'other' perspective, it may or may not change our 'view' but atleast it sets us thinking.
Yes point well taken, different views do give us new insights, and yes that is why I admire bhp, a great forum to present and share ideas.
Old 14th February 2013, 10:28   #185
Senior - BHPian

This is not the only thread where topic has started going offline there are many threads where out of context things are discussed and members have been pushed to corners for not agreeing with expert's views. I remember the thread on BEAT diesel where some funny comments were made on the 3 cylinder engines by non-technical guys. My first driving lessons were on a Mahindra Jeep at a very small age on NH-4 and NH9, only many years later I started taking car driving seriously and now quiet well versed with driving dynamics of a car, I can vouch for the driving dynamics of this car as good.

Last edited by bblost : 14th February 2013 at 10:44. Reason: Minor edit as a quoted reference has been deleted.
Old 15th February 2013, 09:45   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Unfortunately, there was no imagination involved when I drove the Quanto.

100% agreed that the Quanto is raking in the numbers and is a VFM product. But it is nowhere near a perfect product. Compromises have to be made and in case of Quanto, the compromise is the handling and drive feel. Even the Duster has compromises but drive quality is any day superior.

Maybe my point of reference is little higher and I am expecting something which is not possible. Since I drive a Figo, the yardstick is a higher and if I go in with 0 expectations, the Quanto may actually be an excellent handler.
I drive a Figo too and I also own a Scorpio, and I will be a fool if I drive one like the other. Vehicle size has got a lot to do with the roll and Quanto vs Duster does not match in that department. I would say that Duster is a sedan with high ground clearance whereas Quanto is a shorter MUV, so they in between but have different genes. Quanto is wider and all that width is available where as Duster wastes it's width in wheel arches making the person sit more central, hence Quanto has more pronounced body roll. Height wise, 1950 vs 1695, that's another contribution factor. Now, how can you reduce the perceived body roll of Quanto? Make it lower, that means no third row seats, Make the cabin less wide, positioning seats more centrally, that would mean less space. Making e suspension any stiffer will decrease its capacity to handle bad roads. Any other ideas?

PS: I am a MAHINDRA Fan
gharika is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 14:02   #187
Team-BHP Support

I believe Quanto is a ladder on frame design & Duster a monocoque. That explains a lot I believe. (Please do correct if I am wrong :-))

Was watching a C8 driven right ahead of me. Some part of the rear suspension was visible. How is the GC like when fully loaded?

Last edited by Sheel : 15th February 2013 at 14:03.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 14:32   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I believe Quanto is a ladder on frame design & Duster a monocoque. That explains a lot I believe. (Please do correct if I am wrong :-))

Was watching a C8 driven right ahead of me. Some part of the rear suspension was visible. How is the GC like when fully loaded?
I have gone a few times fully loaded (meaning 7 real people!) and did not feel that the GC was any lower. It would obviously be lower, but one would not feel it, and i certainly dont think it would hit any really bad humps too anyway.

And yes, Ladder on frame designs are bulkier and thats what makes them not-so-great on the driving dynamics. However, there is a whole thread on whether Ladder on frame is better or Monocoque for SUV's. The general summary I got from that thread is that Ladder on Frames are more sturdier and typically SUV's need sturdiness and thats why most SUV's all over the world are Ladder on Frames.
However, well tuned Monocoques can be far far better on driving dynamics, and good designs tolerate abuse quite well. The cost of design is what makes it more expensive.

I feel that Mahindra can tune the Quanto's Suspension better, and sort of lower the car a little bit, dramatically improving the car's dynamics.
The other possibility is that Mahindra wants to use the XUV's monocoque platform and roll out products, while in the mean time use their Xylo's platform to churn nearly decent products - not the best, but not bad either!
Old 15th February 2013, 21:41   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
I drive a Figo too and I also own a Scorpio, and I will be a fool if I drive one like the other. Vehicle size has got a lot to do with the roll and Quanto vs Duster does not match in that department. I would say that Duster is a sedan with high ground clearance whereas Quanto is a shorter MUV, so they in between but have different genes. Quanto is wider and all that width is available where as Duster wastes it's width in wheel arches making the person sit more central, hence Quanto has more pronounced body roll. Height wise, 1950 vs 1695, that's another contribution factor. Now, how can you reduce the perceived body roll of Quanto? Make it lower, that means no third row seats, Make the cabin less wide, positioning seats more centrally, that would mean less space. Making e suspension any stiffer will decrease its capacity to handle bad roads. Any other ideas?

PS: I am a MAHINDRA Fan
I feel the USPs of the Quanto are 1. High seating position 2. The width which gives it so much space on the inside and 3. Optional 3rd row seats for accomodating the typical Indian family requirement where relatives and friends pop in often, altering these i feel would make it look like any other vehicle and remove its unique position in the market.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:10   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I started taking car driving seriously and now quiet well versed with driving dynamics of a car, I can vouch for the driving dynamics of this car as good.
deehunk: I presume you are talking about quanto in the last sentence ?

am curious here: when someone says driving dynamics are bad/handling is bad, what exactly does it imply ? i mean, does this imply the car wobbles ? or is bumpy ? or doesn't respond properly ? is there some measure/degree of comparison or is it a pure judgement call or "feeling" ?
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:08   #191
BHPian

saw a quanto near silkboard junction yesterday..
what was special was :

3 adults in the front two seats)
4 adults + 2 kids in the 2ndrow
2 adults and 2 kids in 3row
roof carrier containing some 3-4 kit bags type luggage.
all windows were up, so i presume AC was on..
talk about fully loaded

when the signal turned green, the car just zipped away.. must say i was darn impressed, at least with the pulling power....
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:50   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
deehunk: I presume you are talking about quanto in the last sentence ? is there some measure/degree of comparison or is it a pure judgement call or "feeling" ?

When someone reviews a car from all perspectives it can never be a favorable review that's why team bhp stands out in ripping up a car and making a fair judgement. My way of judging this car was

1. Basic purpose of a buyer - If he wants 7 members of his family in one place
2. Can the passengers feel comfortable compared to cramped cars in this segment
3. Is it comfortable for the driver to have 7 occupants and drive the vehicle with AC On in city traffic and highways.
4. The maneuvering skill required for the driver - this is a SUV, can it be driven easily considering the body roll of a tall boy
5. The fuel efficiency of vehicle

I liked the vehicle as it satisfies the above basic criterion, if you look for something more, yes this segment will definitely mature in the days to come. You have mentioned your own experience, so how will you judge the car?
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:01   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
deehunk: I presume you are talking about quanto in the last sentence ?

am curious here: when someone says driving dynamics are bad/handling is bad, what exactly does it imply ? i mean, does this imply the car wobbles ? or is bumpy ? or doesn't respond properly ? is there some measure/degree of comparison or is it a pure judgement call or "feeling" ?
I am not sure how much can you quantify body roll! That's when a comparo gets in. There are some people who would say body roll will be felt only when you drive it like a race car or something. But even under normal driving we can test body roll by a quick zig-zag maneuver and taking a sharp U-turn at less than 30 kmph to test it. It's a wrong perception that body roll comes into play only while hard cornering.

Plus, when Quanto is driven over broken roads, it does get bumpy.

Quote:
...when the signal turned green, the car just zipped away.. must say i was darn impressed, at least with the pulling power....
Quanto has AMAZING low end torque. It can pull really well from a stand still, but the top end is not in the same league.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd February 2013 at 12:03.
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 16:35   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Quanto has AMAZING low end torque. It can pull really well from a stand still, but the top end is not in the same league.
True, I was right behind a Quanto at a traffic light. That was the first time I saw a Quanto on road. Thought of catching up with it to have a better view. It just flew; I had a hard time to get upto it. And I was in a Santro, which says a lot about the Quanto's low end torque.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 16:38   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
saw a quanto near silkboard junction yesterday..
what was special was :

3 adults in the front two seats)
4 adults + 2 kids in the 2ndrow
2 adults and 2 kids in 3row
roof carrier containing some 3-4 kit bags type luggage.
all windows were up, so i presume AC was on..
talk about fully loaded

when the signal turned green, the car just zipped away.. must say i was darn impressed, at least with the pulling power....
I saw a Nano with 5 ....6...7..I lost count and the guy was racing me. I was in a Santro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks