Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2013, 00:45   #211
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

I have taken the delivery of the quanto c2 variant (base model). I have driven about 200 kms since, and I am posting initial impressions only, since I will not be driving the car much. The review otherwise is spot on:

1. The engine for a 3 cylinder is definitely refined. Good linear delivery.
2. Ride is bumpy. I would advise to take the bad roads a little slowly (I checked the tyre pressure)
3. The suspension is very silent, and that just encourages you to drive over the bad roads fast.
4. Tyre noise is very well controlled. I know the tyres are new, but I definitely think this has to do more with the car.
5. 'Feels' like it can take abuse very well. As such everything in the car is designed more for the cab drivers.

Now, here are the features which are peculiar with the c2:

1. The seats are fully vinyl, but at first glance appear to be made of fabric. The driver side seat loses lumbar and height adjustment, though the lumbar support was adequate.
2. There is no MID above the centre console.
3. There is no tachometer.
4. No nifty storage space under front passenger seat and behind the handbrake.
5. There is an anti-slip mat provided on the area where the airbag is located (front passenger).
6. The in cabin lights are also different.
7. No steps for climbing into the cabin. You realize just how good the ground clearance of the car is.
8. No spare wheel cover.
9. No fog lamps (I have gotten it installed from the dealer).
10. No central locking. The locking in this model is very unique. The front doors (driver and passenger) and the rear door (for the jump seats) when open, you cannot press the lock manually (like in the older 800's) and close the door. You can lock only when the door is closed. The back doors on the other hand, the locks can be pressed when the door is open, after which if you close the door, the door will lock.
11. No ICE.
12. The steering wheel design is different.

Biggest grouse for me with respect to this car: The mid-row passenger seats are not foldable. This is the biggest let down.

Some minor modifications that I have done:
1. Remove the rear-most jump seats.
2. Got the fog-lamp installed from dealer (please note, that the stalk for lights is different in this model than the one shown in the review. Hence, the fogs come on when you just flick the switch to mid position)
3. Installed a rear parcel tray (custom built).

Accessories which I have planned to put up in the car:
1. Rear camera and parking sensors.
2. Complete floor matting (the car was delivered with a laminated floor covering the fabric mats)
3. Some decent seat covers.
4. Steering cover
5. Spare wheel cover (cloth).

Anything else I am missing out as far as accessories are concerned? I am not going to install ICE.

All in all, a very under-appreciated car.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 10th August 2013 at 00:58.
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 08:10   #212
Senior - BHPian

Hi Simple car,

Even in the old 800s, the front door locks behave the same way. It's a safety feature. Even if you lock it before shutting it, it would pop back to open once shut.
Old 10th August 2013, 13:38   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Hi Simple car,

Even in the old 800s, the front door locks behave the same way. It's a safety feature. Even if you lock it before shutting it, it would pop back to open once shut.
Dear driv3r,

I know that. What makes quanto different is that you won't be able to push the lever down if the door is open. In the 800, you can still push the lever down (even if the door is open, though it will pop back once the door is shut).

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 19th August 2013, 23:21   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I have taken the delivery of the quanto c2 variant (base model).

All in all, a very under-appreciated car.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Hi Simple_car,

can you share some pics of your car interiors as well as breakup of the on road cost?

Thanks
geekyengineer
Old 20th August 2013, 00:07   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
Hi Simple_car,

can you share some pics of your car interiors as well as breakup of the on road cost?

Thanks
geekyengineer
Dear geekyengineer sir,

Sorry for not posting the pics on this forum. I had already posted them on another. Here are the pics:

1. The front view. It's difficult to differentiate this car from its elder sibling. The fog lamps are dealer fitted (which are crap btw).
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20130814_162903.jpg

2. The side view. Notice the great ground clearance.
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20130814_162950.jpg

3. The rear most area. I have removed the jump seats and installed a custom parcel tray. If you spot a gap between the tray and the plastic moulding, its ok, I have designed it specifically.
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20130814_163105.jpg

4. Front cabin
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20130814_163230.jpg

5. The anti-slip mat in storage areas
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20130814_163322.jpg

6. That's me sitting behind the driver seat adjusted to my height. I am 5'11". The pockets are those of the seat covers.
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20130814_163406.jpg

7. The central area. Please note the laminated floor (dealer fitted) and the black mats which I installed on my own.
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20130814_163334.jpg

8. The speedo console. No tacho, and fake 4WD marking.
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20130814_163520.jpg

9. The non-airbag steering wheel which is now fitted in almost all mahindra non-airbag vehicles. Covered by a cheap steering cover. There is a rear view camera display screen.
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20130814_163532.jpg

10. The apollo hawkz H/T tyre the car came fitted with.
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20130814_163634.jpg

I have forgotten the break up. But the final on road price was 7.54 with company registration in navi-mumbai and insurance. This included the laminated flooring and side strips.
I had a deal of 7.5 as well, but that was without any accessories.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 21:37   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Dear geekyengineer sir,

Sorry for not posting the pics on this forum. I had already posted them on another. Here are the pics:

I have forgotten the break up. But the final on road price was 7.54 with company registration in navi-mumbai and insurance. This included the laminated flooring and side strips.
I had a deal of 7.5 as well, but that was without any accessories.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Thanks Simple_car for your prompt reply. Please also consider starting an ownership thread for the benefit of the forum members.

Thanks
geekyengineer.
Old 29th August 2013, 14:19   #217

I bought Quanto c6 two months back and have driven it 2300 kms till now.
I upgraded from Alto to quanto so points which i immediately felt about Quanto are below.

1. Its too big and needs special effort to drive it in crowded places. Dint realize it much in my test drives. Initial days it felt somewhat scary but once you start getting used to of its big size then its really powerful machine for urban driving.

2. Ride is more settled with 6-7 people on board.

3. Have done couple of outdoor trips around pune with full load in hilly areas, dint find the ride/handling so bad as projected in forum. On the other side i find it easier to drive in hilly areas because of power on tap and visibility around. (Please note i am used of driving alto). I never crossed 80 km/h limit so dint feel body roll much. Surly a best economical package for weekend drives

4. Mileage i am getting is 13-14 in city and 19-20 on highways.

5. As stated by many, high driving position is great aide in finding gaps ahead in traffic and escaping high beam in night.

6. The hard clutch is pain while driving in bumper to bumper /crawling traffic when you drive mostly on clutch.

7. While climbing slopes in very slow speed (stop and Go type) , You have to shift to 1st. Stop and go on 2nd gear is not possible (used to work for me in alto).

8. The lumber support on driver side doesn’t stay in position 2 for long and often slips to position 1 if pressed against lower back. Works fine is position 1 and 3.

9. First 2 rows are very specious and 3rd row works well as emergency seats. However people who have history of travel sickness should avoid 3rd row seat on longer/hilly ride.
sapan.turkar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:28   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan.turkar View Post
I bought Quanto c6 two months back and have driven it 2300 kms till now.
I upgraded from Alto to quanto so points which i immediately felt about Quanto are below.
==============
9. First 2 rows are very specious and 3rd row works well as emergency seats. However people who have history of travel sickness should avoid 3rd row seat on longer/hilly ride.
Congrats on your new Quanto, welcome to the club of happy quanto owners who have taken the plunge to own in inspite of the fact that it is not as flamboyant as some of the other cars, but a very practical and sane choice.
Don't worry The hard clutch on mine eased out a lot after the 2nd service (7000km) and the bounce on rough streches of road, has reduced a lot ( Intially I thought I was getting used to it ), but drove my friend's new c6 on the same streches and found it to be much more bouncier than my 7 month old c8, tyre pressure remaining the same. Wish you many more happy miles.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:26   #219

Thanks Vipinendran,

For me while deciding on quanto , it was not much confusion as hardly there were option for seven sitter. My basic criterias were
1. Seven seater as have big family
2. Practical mileage so that i can use it as my daily office transport.
3. Budget around 8 lakhs.
4. Smaller length (as i have small parking)
5. Good Low end and mid range Power. I hardly ever cross 80 kmph

Vehicles i considered

1. Tata Safari ( rejected because of shot heighted 3 row and low mileage)
2. Scorpio (Personally doesn’t like the look)
3. Bolero (Personally doesn’t like the look)
4. Chevrolet Enjoy ( Diesel was expensive and review of petrol were not good). Also it was just launched so dint want to experiment.

The final shortlisted were Eritga Petrol and Quanto.
Things i like about Ertiga Petrol was that it was easier to drive. Just felt like car. Things i liked about Quanto was lot of space, feature and low end torque. Finally i made all my family member to sit in fully loaded both cars and did test drive. My Family found Quanto more comfortable. Also i found 2nd row of ertiga very restricted when third row folded down and found entry in third row bit annoying as 2nd row occupant was required to come out to fold it.

Hence Quanto was finalized.
sapan.turkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:16   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan.turkar View Post

Hence Quanto was finalized.
You would definitely enjoy the quanto especially if you want to take it during the weekends to the interiors of our wonderful India. I have taken my Quanto to three 1000km+ trips in the interiors of Tamilnadu, villages around( Tanjavur, Ramnathapuram, Dindugul ) on roads ( if you can call then so ), places where a big hatchback/sedan can only dream of going
Go ahead and keep driving.
Old 17th September 2013, 15:43   #221
BHPian

Dear Simple_car,

I am also inclined on buying a quanto and that too a base variant, can you let me know what is the real time mileage that you are able to obtain?

Real time mileage is the only un-addresed point for me as of now, i am pretty much sold on other aspects (practicality wise).

Thanks
Ryder
Old 17th September 2013, 22:02   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder View Post
Real time mileage is the only un-addresed point for me as of now, i am pretty much sold on other aspects (practicality wise).
Dear ryder sir,

Real time mileage varies from 12-15 kmpl depending on the driver (me/dad/family driver). All this is within city mileage only.
Keep in mind that the car runs on relatively traffic free roads. I have not taken the car for any highway runs.

Happy to know you like the vehicle.

The car has completed 5.5k kms and its first service. No issues to report.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 17th September 2013, 22:14   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Simple_car,

I am also inclined on buying a quanto and that too a base variant, can you let me know what is the real time mileage that you are able to obtain?

Thanks
Ryder
My Quanto C6 has completed 9k, and completed its second service too.
The mileage now is consistently 13.5 to 14.5 in Bangalore city (I live on Sarjapur road).
On highways, if driven with a light foot, the mileage was about 18kmpl on my recent visit to Jog Falls. If driven with a heavy foot, expect about 16.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 12:18   #224

Quote:
......... can you let me know what is the real time mileage that you are able to obtain?
Thanks
Ryder
My Quanto is giving me 14 kmpl in city with 20% AC ON and on highway i am getting around 19-20
Old 20th September 2013, 17:08   #225
jp1
BHPian

My Quanto C6 has done around 7k+ kms. So far quite happy with the vehicle.

Earlier I was driving a Bolero, so my comparison with Bolero as below
- Interior space much better than Bolero, especially 1st and 2nd row
- Body roll - may be little more than Bolero, but not as bad as projected
- Highway driving , Acceleration, way ahead of Bolero. Overtaking on highways was a real problem with Bolero, but with Quanto, it is a breeze with turbos. Quanto has 1500 cc engine whereas Bolero has a 2500 cc engine. Bolero runs out of steam at around 90 to 100 kms whereas Quanto at 100 is quite comfortable, but mileage starts dropping once you start cruising around 100.
- City driving, Bolero is much better in bumper to bumper traffic due to low end torque. For Quanto, the RPM has to be kept above 1500 for the turbo to kick in. Gear shifts required more often in Quanto
- Mileage in city 12-13 kms whereas the Bolero used to give 8-9 kms/litre, Mileage on highways 15-16
- The most important feature lacking in Bolero was ABS, the main reason for me to switch from Bolero to Quanto, with ABS sudden braking can be done confidence. Braking efficiency seems to be the same in both vehicle.

Anyone tried to fill/check air in spare wheel (c6) while it is mounted? I don't think we can do it without taking out the wheel from the mount and remove the cover fully. It is a real pain. Anyone has a better idea to solve this problem?

For those who wants to compare Quanto vs Duster Vs Dsire, there is a video on facebook /Quanto page
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-dscn27581.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-dscn27601.jpg  

Last edited by jp1 : 20th September 2013 at 17:15.
jp1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks