Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 21:34   #226
BHPian

2nd Free Service Update

Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20131013_152022.jpg

The ODO is @ 10,600 as of today. No issues to report. There is a squeak from one of the front seats but that is from day 1. It was rectified by me, but it has resurfaced. Else, everything is fantastic. Car is doing duty on real bad roads day in and out. F.E. is hovering around 12-14 kmpl, pure city runs.

Went for the 2nd free service yesterday, when the final bill came around 3.5k. There was a goof up yesterday with billing due to my fault, hence, I don't have the details yet, but the following jobs have been done:
- Oil and oil filter change.
- Air filter cleaning.
- Differential oil change.
- Gear oil change.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 17:58   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Hello All,

We got a chance to explore interiors of Mahindra Quanto at Autocar Performance Show at Mumbai couple of days back. I must say Mahindra has managed the internal space very well for a sub 4 meter car.
Also one can get a decent boot space if the jump seats are removed.

Especially the jump seats in third row are practially comfortable even for adults short trips. Infact we found that 3 row seat in Quanto are more comfortable than those in Rextron.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 09:56   #228
BHPian

I had to pick up a friend of mine and his family who are shifting to India from Australia yesterday after having lived their for a decade, and he arrived at the airport with 4 huge suitcases and a family of four. Dropped him at home in my quanto and he was amazed by its pick up and pulling capacity inspite of the load. There were five people ( 3 adults and two teenagers ) and the luggage which would have been around 200kg.!. HE FELL IN LOVE WITH the vehicle and is planning to get one soon.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 14:21   #229
BHPian

Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20131121_202144.jpg

I had the opportunity of sitting in the rear (middle row i.e. since I have removed the rear-most ones) for quite some time today. The rear seat design isn't good for long drives that is for sure. The suspension? Well, apart from one particular road which was just filled with unreal craters, I couldn't get what the fuss really is about. It isn't as comfortable as the innova, but I couldn't really see what the hulla-baloo is about. I had my uncle and aunt who are old, with me in the rear seats. My aunt mentioned that the seat is uncomfortable, but nothing else. My uncle.. well he was very impressed. I guess, we as a family are a little more immune to this car's suspension manners..

Anyways, let's get back to the car itself.

The issues:
- Left middle blower has broken.
- Brake pads need replacement (this was expected due to the rough use).
- A/c filter is choked.
- The driver side seat was squeaking. Just realized today, that I was fixing the squeaks on the wrong seat. Stupid, stupid me. Have currently fixed it by some ingenuous DIY. Hoping it lasts, since my last ingenuous DIY lasted for a month only.. If it recurs, then I will have to remove the seat to solve the squeak. Only good thing is, the squeak is very minor and is heard only if the car is going through a very bad patch only.

No rattles!

Some important points:

1. There have been reports from other Quanto owners that their cars have some odometer errors (the odometer is registering 0.1-0.2 kms extra for every km actually traveled). Did a thorough check on this issue. Not present on my car. The odo is registering GPS indicated kms only.

2. Performance on slopes: I had never driven the car on a slope, until today. Lack of displacement is apparent. The engine does have the grunt to pull.. but you just need to modulate the throttle and clutch a wee bit more. The scorpio/xylo I have driven on this particular slope are pretty comfortable.

3. This car (or maybe the one which I have) is particularly robust. No rattle in a mahindra! Wow! Impressed, considering the kind of abuse I put it through.

4. The clutch is hard. I am not complaining. Let's see how long it last's though.

5. The F.e. has settled b/w 12-14 kmpl for city runs only. I have sent for a highway run, but I didn't check on the f.e.

Have decided to switch to an independent garage for my servicing needs post 3rd free service.

Car has completed it's final free 20k service. Following are the details of the bill:

1. fuel filter replaced = 1324
2. engine oil (5ltrs) = 1294
3. oil filter = 143
4. consumables = 222

Total bill including taxes = 3331.xx

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 10th December 2013 at 14:22.
Simple_car is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 13:51   #230

I'm yet another Quanto owner. I purchased it in Feb 2013, and have clocked 13000 km so far, in 10 months. Mainly city driving, one trip to Chennai (and back) and one trip to Mumbai (and back).

I had an Alto prior to this. Overall, I am satisfied with the Quanto so far, but I have two issues:

1. The AC is not effective enough. It is just not powerful enough to cool the interiors. I don't know if this is something specific to my vehicle, or if it is a general Quanto glitch. I have given the car to Sireesh Auto Bangalore today, and they are checking.

2. A more serious issue is w.r.t. the speedometer. Suddenly, the speedometer tends to fall to 0 km/h. It happens approximately every 30 minutes. More worryingly, when this happens, it affects the engine in some way. When the speedometer is in this "zero state", no matter how hard I accelerate, the engine does not cross 2500 rpm. It is as if something is "pulling against the engine" and preventing it from crossing that rpm/speed. It remains like this for a while, and then suddenly goes back to normal - it suddenly jumps from 0 to my correct speed (50, 60, whatever).

I am worried about issue '2' above. Has anyone experienced this kind of issue on any vehicle? Had it been just a speedometer issue I wouldn't have been so concerned, but it is linked to a problem with the engine.

Let us see what Sireesh auto comes back with. I will keep team-BHP posted.
Bangalorean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 15:23   #231
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangalorean View Post
I

2. A more serious issue is w.r.t. the speedometer. Suddenly, the speedometer tends to fall to 0 km/h. It happens approximately every 30 minutes. More worryingly, when this happens, it affects the engine in some way. When the speedometer is in this "zero state", no matter how hard I accelerate, the engine does not cross 2500 rpm. It is as if something is "pulling against the engine" and preventing it from crossing that rpm/speed. It remains like this for a while, and then suddenly goes back to normal - it suddenly jumps from 0 to my correct speed (50, 60, whatever).

I am worried about issue '2' above. Has anyone experienced this kind of issue on any vehicle? Had it been just a speedometer issue I wouldn't have been so concerned, but it is linked to a problem with the engine.

Let us see what Sireesh auto comes back with. I will keep team-BHP posted.
considering the two signatures of the issue, my guess is that the "speed sensor" has gone kaput - vehicle speed feedback to the ECU is affected and the same faulty value gets displayed on the instrument console.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 15:31   #232
BHPian

Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-20131216_125155.jpg

This is what happens when you trust Mahindra A.S.S. with your car. I cannot say that I didn't see it coming, but the fact is, I needed to complete the first 3 services of the car with them. I guess in a way, I was lucky, since I was planning to get the car serviced outside post the 3rd service, post which it would have been difficult to claim warranty.

The check engine light came on, and my driver rushed to me complaining that the engine was overheating (subjectively speaking i.e., since the temperature gauge was still showing normal temperature). OBD reader was hooked into, which showed nothing, and a brief inspection in the engine bay revealed that there was a coolant leakage just below the intercooler. I think that the clowns at A.S.S. didn't fit the hose back properly. The coolant level was still adequate, so I could drive the car till the towing van (the car was in a very narrow gully, where the towing truck wouldn't have fit).

Long story short; I am posting the sequence of events which occured:

1. The A.S.S. diagnosed the problem as HMF sensor failure (another term for MAF sensor) and improper intercooler hose fitting.
2. The intercooler was already on order with another A.S.S. (for warranty replacement), so the same wasn't done at this one.
3. Post this, about 4-5 days later, the check engine light came on again.
4. Fed up, with the dealer's attitude (they accused me of changing the coolant this time!), and Mahindra's lack of interest in responding to my mails, I called up customer care and raised hell.
5. Post this, the car was attended to on priority, and the intercooler which was taking more than a week to order, arrived the same evening, and the car was given back to me the next day.

I am not going to name the dealer, since I have given my word to Mahindra, that I am not interested in defaming them or their dealers, just so long they treat my case in a fair manner.

The actual story is pretty long and I have left out a lot of points, which I will be writing in detail in my ownership review.

In brief, I would give Mahindra's road side assistance a 9.5/10 (would have been a 10 if they didn't goof up the dealership names), and a average 7/10 to the customer care response. I was treated fairly only after I had to raise my voice, but in the end, I am happy that they did do a swift and efficient job to my satisfaction. I still have my doubts on their diagnosis of the situation (more in the ownership review), and hence have postponed my decision to service the car at the FNG for another 20k kms. If what I suspect is right, then the problem should reoccur soon enough. If not, then, I am going praise the Mahindra's diagnostic ability, and learn a new thing.

Otherwise, the car has completed 22k kms, and runs fine. No issues to report otherwise.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 22:26   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangalorean View Post
I 2. A more serious issue is w.r.t. the speedometer. Suddenly, the speedometer tends to fall to 0 km/h. It happens approximately every 30 minutes. More worryingly, when this happens, it affects the engine in some way. When the speedometer is in this "zero state", no matter how hard I accelerate, the engine does not cross 2500 rpm. It is as if something is "pulling against the engine" and preventing it from crossing that rpm/speed. It remains like this for a while, and then suddenly goes back to normal - it suddenly jumps from 0 to my correct speed (50, 60, whatever). I am worried about issue '2' above. Has anyone experienced this kind of issue on any vehicle? Had it been just a speedometer issue I wouldn't have been so concerned, but it is linked to a problem with the engine. Let us see what Sireesh auto comes back with. I will keep team-BHP posted.
On issue number 2, I suspect it may be an issue with the alternator.
Can you tell me if this occurs at night too.. And if yes, do you see the lights dim or brighten?
Old 6th January 2014, 13:56   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
On issue number 2, I suspect it may be an issue with the alternator.
Can you tell me if this occurs at night too.. And if yes, do you see the lights dim or brighten?
Sireesh auto returned my car last week, and it seems that the issue was rather minor. As per the technicians there, there was some dirt or foreign matter obstructing the sensor somehow, which was causing the speedometer to drop to zero suddenly. When that happened, the fuel flow to the engine was getting affected too.

It has been one week now, and I have not encountered the problem after that. I hope I've seen the last of it.
Old 21st January 2014, 10:10   #235
BHPian

Revised version of quanto with new seating capability is about to be launched.

The new quanto primarily has more flexible seating options, where in you can fold (60:40 + many other options) the 2nd row seat and also allow better reclining capability.

This is available in ALL variants of quanto, though some options like middle row handrest, etc is available only in the high end.

I think these can be fitted in exisiting quanto's also, according to the presentation from mahindra..

The cost -- approx 40 K more , not so great :-(

The comparison with other cars seems to a botched up affair.. lacks finesse

attaching the extracted images from presentation of this..

@Mods: The orginal pdf file was about 6mb... could not upload it because of size limitation. Hence have extracted the images and compressed it. The image quality is not good (just about readable). If somebody wants the original, let me know, i will mail it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip New-Quanto-images.zip (1.22 MB, 310 views)
haria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 18:47   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Revised version of quanto with new seating capability is about to be launched.

The new quanto primarily has more flexible seating options, where in you can fold (60:40 + many other options) the 2nd row seat and also allow better reclining capability.

The cost -- approx 40 K more , not so great :-(

The comparison with other cars seems to a botched up affair.. lacks finesse

attaching the extracted images from presentation of this..

@Mods: The orginal pdf file was about 6mb... could not upload it because of size limitation. Hence have extracted the images and compressed it. The image quality is not good (just about readable). If somebody wants the original, let me know, i will mail it.

As per the ACI Report, it is supposed to continue with the same pricing http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ts-370181.aspx

And what is the real world mileage of this vehicle with full load and AC in City and on Highways ?
soumobakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 19:02   #237
BHPian

Looks like a very welcome improvement. I am sure it will increase the desirability factor of the Quanto by a couple of notches. The only reason I didn't go for the Quanto was the rear seat.
Old 21st January 2014, 19:42   #238
BANNED

Mahindra, today, announced the launch of a new flexible seating configuration for its compact SUV, the Quanto. Christened ‘Yoga seats’, the new design will allow users to adjust seats in 36 different combinations for maximum flexibility and convenience.The new seating system hasn’t changed the price of the car and will be available across all variants.

Source: Carwale
HyperRetard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:15   #239
gemi_kk

Mahindra Launches Quanto with Yoga seats

Mahindra has launched their dud Quanto with Yoga seats. I hope these seats are like the ones found in Jazz. But they seem to be different.

source : http://www.indiainfoline.com/Markets...ats/5853382381

Quote:
Mahindra designed their compact SUV Quanto's “Yoga Seats”. These seats, when not in use, can be folded away leaving a flat, levelled surface on the floor of the car that could be used for lugging or accommodating a fully grown person. That flat floor has been highly appreciated by all who have tested it.
Quote:
The new seating arrangement in Quanto is designed to allow a 60:40 split second row with 40% single dump, 100% double dump, or 100% single dump seats. The second row reclining seats now also comes with better quality material, cushioning, and center armrests. The third row jump seats are also taught “yoga” and can now be easily folded out of the way. Mahindra claims that the new seating geometry facilitates seating arrangements in 36 different configurations.
36 Different Configurations
  (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:39   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
And what is the real world mileage of this vehicle with full load and AC in City and on Highways ?
I have been using the quanto for the last 13 months and 11000 km, and recently with Shell diesel for the last approx 2000km. My recent mileage has been 20.8 with full load and ac on, on the highway and hovering around 17.9 in the city, with b2b traffic once again ac "on" always.
vipinendran is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks