Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 13:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Not a looker but they have covered the utility aspects very well. I had mentioned that high floor height of Xylo also just a couple of days ago. I think this is un-necessary to have a flat floor. They seem to need a lot of wasted space between the floor and suspension components below. It makes the vehicle tall and shifts the CG.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 13:56   #32
BHPian

GTO & Team,

Terrific review once again. Thouroghly enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing!

1)
At launch Quanto is about 70-80% of what Mahindra wants it to be. I am sure Mahindra can sort those remaining 20-30% in a year or two. Still, at launch Quanto is a big VFM for somone looking for a family car.

Would be intesting to see market response in coming months.

2)
Mahindra seems to have gone a bit agrressive in wanting to be ahead of Tata in this race.

Over to Tata. Would be intersting to see Tata's response. Tata has more refined engines (aka Fiat's 1.3 Diesel and 1.4 Petrol as well) at it's disposal. Can Tata bring something special/better to raise the bar further in this segment?
Autocop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 14:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Over to Tata. Would be intersting to see Tata's response.
Fantastic review as usual. In fact T-Bhp reviews are getting better with every new review nowadays!

With reference to Autocop's concern about Tata, can't help but append the following picture, although it is slightly on this thread. This was clicked at Darjeeling and brought a smile to all of us !

Enjoy !
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-nano_spare-wheel-back.jpg  

arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 14:14   #34
BHPian

GTO,

From TAXI Segment Buyers shoes, both M&M Quanto and Tata Sumo Gold fall is same price bracket, if you had to choose between a Quanto and Sumo Gold, which one you would? and why?

In the process, would apprecite if you can share strengths/weaknesses of Quanto over Sumo Gold.
Autocop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 14:37   #35
BHPian

Vey nice and detailed review as usual.
IMHO, this Mini-Xylo can surely beat the Bigger-Xylo in sales.
But Mahindra could have definitely done something to have a different facia than Xylo. Otherwise, nice attempt.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:07   #36
BHPian

Did I miss the body-roll part or it just wasn't there ?

other than that, great review GTO, thanks for sharing.

My grandfather was looking for a "tall and small" car in the market. Tall here refers to the driving position and this seems just right for him. Anyways he will be chauffeur driven, so the drivers comfort isn't really a concern.

So guys, suggestion time. Should my grandfather go on and book the Quanto, or wait for ecosports? BTW, car has nothing great about anything in it.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:41   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran.Syed View Post
Did I miss the body-roll part or it just wasn't there ?
Quote below is from the review on body roll!

Quote:
What you won’t:

• Driving experience marred by excessive body roll and a slow, numb steering

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 15:51   #38
Team-BHP Support

1) I like the Quanto's looks! And the plastic cladding for the spare wheel has to be one of the best designs ever. Gives the car an unique look.

2) Mahindra's Quanto (sub-4m, SUV look & positioning, 7 seats) is a bigger innovation than Tata's Indigo CS (chopped boot)

3) Why didn't Mahindra use Logan's engine in the Quanto? That would have further lowered the Quanto's development costs (and more importantly, development time).

4) 4 Wheel drive and a bigger engine is an interesting prospect. This version should remove the jump seats and fix the backrest angle of the middle row.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 16:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A unique feature : Right below the odometer (reading 376 kms here) is an A/C counter (reading 616 here). The A/C meter displays how many minutes the air-conditioner was used for. Nifty for taxi owners & those who employ chauffeurs:
This is interesting! The Xylo has an AC odometer that increments when the AC is running i.e. engaged. While standstill it increments based on the minutes of standstill (don't recollect exact ratio). In my case, the AC odometer is about 1/3 of the driven km odometer.

The Xylo AC odometer cannot be reset. Is it the same in the case of Quanto?
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 16:03   #40
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the fantastic review.

What about the fuel efficiency figures? Because that is what would be a fine selling point for a product like this.

Also, IMHO the front end styling should have been reworked to make it appeal to the average hatchback buyer.

Another point is that I feel that the Quanto might just end up cannibalising the Bolero with its better engine, more modern feel and pricing.

Cheers.
Old 8th October 2012, 16:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

any info on any variants in the pipelines (4cyl and/or 4wd?)
Old 8th October 2012, 16:44   #42
BHPian

As comprehensive as it can get! Great Review once again GTO! The observations are in such a detail that a normal owner would take months to realize. You mentioned it very well that given a low stance and lighter weight the Quanto would have been more fun. Also, the gearshift throws remain a grey area.

I guess, It would be a huge hit in tier II & III cities (just like mine) where rough road abilities are a requirement rather than luxury (as you said). The quanto would be a success among the typical SUV craving crowd on tight budget and who would ignore the appearance/ride & handling/proportions!
Blow Horn Ok is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 18:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as ususal

I liked all the features mentioned by GTO

Things i personally dislike.
  • No "Petrol" engine on offer. Petrol+CNG/LPG seems to be famous nowadays with Taxi operators. I for a person, given my limited usage, prefer a petrol engine. Verito/Logan's Petrol motor can do the duty in the Quanto in a tuned state. It would reduce the price to 5 ish and also appeal to wider people. Secondly, I personally belive that sooner or later the gap between Petrol and diesel fuels will close. The so called subsidy will be removed for motor vehicles.
  • No third row AC - Personally for me. All 7 seaters / SUVs / MUV should have all 3 rows of AC. A Chance to launch a market first feature, but Mahindra failed to encash the same
  • Can Offer a CNG Kit, which is becoming popular with Indicas and Eecos.
This is basicaly targeted at people who are looking at a 5 seater with very occassional usage of 7 seater. I for one would better buy an Evalia or Ertiga for 10 lacs instead of the C8.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 8th October 2012 at 18:26.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 18:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Great Review GTO

I am really at loss of words at this offering. I was very excited when they announced the 100 Bhp engine. But the kerb weight saddened me at the launch. The Torque monster I was expecting the car to be was turned into a meek cat by the ginormous weight. I was hoping against hope that the sort out the handling, which they haven't. Price seems to be good, but the cheapest model with ABS retails at 7 lakhs ex-showroom delhi. On road it would be close to 8 Lakhs.

Would I adjust with sub par interior quality, overall refinement, ride quality, and lack of attention to detail when I m spending close to 8 Lakhs on road? I mean staplers on the carpet!! Seriously?

Wouldn't I stretch myself a little and get the Ertiga Vdi at a lakh and a little more premium over this? In the bargain I get a much more refined, contemporary looking and reliable vehicle with much better road manners.

I fail to understand why auto manufacturers come up with absurd reasons to have names like Micro hybrid etc? May be then the other cars should call themselves Manual Micro Hybrid (you can always switch off and switch on the engine at stand still manually).

This may do well in the taxi segment and tier II and III cities, but as GTO rightly pointed out a typical Hatchback or Sedan owner would not want to have a second look at this just because it offers more space and has better GC. The compromises at other areas are too much.
Mahindra should have reduced the kerb weight and the height. That would have given the car a much better performance and balanced handling and the car would have had a USP for itself other than the space.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 18:44   #45
BHPian

great review as always gto
it seems panel gaps and poor finish quality of TATA and Mahindra
but that does not mean that their products overall is not good
they do survive Indian conditions

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please type with proper punctuations for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th October 2012 at 01:44. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks

Most Viewed