Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 20:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Excellent review. Thanks!

Just curious - How does Quanto compare with SUMO.. ?
Old 8th October 2012, 20:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Good review as always. I do suggest my friends to go through T-BHP official reviews before buying or even going for a test drive of a 4 wheeler.

Just one question though, Wouldn't it make sense to throw 50K more and go for Bolero SLE? At least you will get something which 'looks' proper and not half baked. No?
Old 8th October 2012, 20:47   #48
BHPian

Thank you for the exhaustive review which covers all the bases as well as the corners of the recently launched Quanto. Your attention to detail is deeply respected. Rating the thread 5 Stars!

Coming to the review, It seems Mahindra have blown life into a dead segment in Automotive market in India. Premier must act quickly to react as market is changing and simply calls for Survival of the Fittest! My friend was about to buy a Rio but I would show him the review and encourage him to opt for Quanto. Apparently, People would be interested in this Chchotta Xylo which, I feel, is a good VFM package considering the average tally of Bolero, which is crude and rugged but still brings numbers. Majority do not consider what is underneath the car and just judge it by looking it. This is a strong answer to those who equate price with size and considering it's seating versatility, this could manage good numbers.

Once again, your attetion to detail is deeply respected and I thank you from the core of my heart on behalf of many BHPians who'd be benefitted from this review.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
S@ndy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 22:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

Superb review.

To me the Quanto comes across as a humble car that has a lot to offer to the aam junta and does not throw an attitude around for doing so. ( not too much on offer to the enthusiast unfortunately ) . I think it should do well and would be seriously in the the list for potential buyers for

1) Vista/Manza, Etios/Liva, base model Ertiga, Tavera, Figo, Beat
2) Xylo and to a small extent a Scorpio also

There are a lot of well thought out small features here and there which will appeal to a typical Indian family and if the showroom experience is good, Mahindra should have a lot of conversions.

The good thing about having a product across price bands is that the walk in-s into the showroom can always to shown the next higher product and enticed to go for it.

For e.g if a buyer comes in with a budget for a top model of the Quanto, they can always be enticed to go for a Xylo or the Scorpio the way a Scorpio Vlx buyer could be tempted to go for a XUV.

Bound to replace a lot of Indigos/Fiestas in the taxi market as well. I can imagine the value proposition of the base model Quanto with a roof mounted carrier - it has $$$$ returns wrriten all over it and will be a fleet owners delight
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 23:07   #50
BHPian

Well here is a thought! The Quanto is a hit with my wife! So, much that she has booked a test drive and seems to seriously want to purchase it herself.
The only real reason we are prioritizing this car over the duster is the 1-1.5 lakh price difference. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

How do you guys rate the quanto for the typical city runabout - driving in traffic, managing a tight parking, navigating pickups and drops, carrying a bicycle to the beach etc?
Old 8th October 2012, 23:19   #51
BHPian

Isn't the engine in the E-W layout? Will it somehow fit inside the bay of a sedan?
Old 9th October 2012, 00:23   #52
BHPian

Thanks a lot GTO for the fantastic and exhaustive (very detailed) review (You missed the century by just 3 snaps ). It is so long and including all the details that I could see in the later post people missed out few bit which were already given in the review (like body roll part and mention of future variants).

Form the review what I could understood is ...
1. Looking at the basic intention of Mahindra (developing <4m Xylo) We should not have expected any drastic change in external looks and interiors. So it happened.
2. Most of the product development time Mahindra has spent on the engine development - which actually shows better results and which may help them in long term for other vehicles also.
3. Due to focus on engine development, they could not focus on reducing weight and body roll. May be either due to constraints on budget/time or due to lack of experience (they are still learning ) at least in body-on-frame versions.
naren_L is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 00:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Incredibly detailed review, one of the best ever. A pity then that the car isn't so good. It reaffirm's my earlier conclusion that this doesn't have even a single USP. Its overpriced in my opinion and in very kind words, not to good. I would go for a premium hatch any which day.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 04:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

Height comparison between the QUANTO and XYLO
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-image3232101249.jpg  

TheARUN is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 09:17   #55
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the fantastic in depth review.

I've never seen a review as detailed as the current one neither in Auto Car India nor Overdrive. Quanto was one of eagerly awaited launches for me since I'm excited about moving from a hatchback to a mini SUV. Also my daughter for some reason quite likes the looks. So Quanto was an option.

The review has helped to decide against a Quanto for the following reasons :
1. Heavy Body Roll - Lack of confidence for passengers & the driver
2. Difficult Ingress & Egress - My aged parents will find it hard
3. Upright back seats - Discomfort for my parents who would naturally be seated there
4. Awkward proportions of the Quanto - I would have liked the nose to be shorter

Just like everyone else in the forum, now waiting for the Storme to get launched. Duster now seems to have gone slightly out of budget due to the price increase but still a choice. Though Storme is a proper SUV and my liking is on a mini SUV, pricing of the Storme now would be a crucial deciding factor. Who knows, may be there is a chance for me to own an SUV.

Cheers !!!
Old 9th October 2012, 09:35   #56
BHPian

Thanks GTO for this exhaustive review. I was waiting for this since the launch of the vehicle.

My personal observations:
The car/CSUV is really good. Its impossible to get such a car with all the features loaded at this price.

The car looks looks really cute from the sides and rear but the front part, I reserve my comments.

The ground clearance is awesome and the interiors are well appointed.

But, I, somehow, didn't like the drive. The bumpy ride and the body roll didn't give me that confidence to drive. This could have been taken care by Mahindras. Many people may not like this and decide against the vehicle.

Drive safe.
Old 9th October 2012, 10:45   #57
jp1
BHPian

Hi GTO
Thank you and the team so much for such an exhaustive review on Quanto. I was searching the web all these days from the date Quanto was launched and there is no review anywhere near to what we have in Team Bhp.

By the way I booked a Quanto C6 last week. That concludes my 1 year search for a replacement for my Bolero. I was very keen on Thar, but absence of ABS and descent interior, lockable cabin and the price made me avoid Thar. The next option for me was to go for another Bolero (I am driving Bolero from 2001, 2nd one as of now), but MnM did not do any meaningful upgrades on Bolero even though it sells around 10k per month. The new Bolero comes with a horrible engine and still they could not provide ABS on this vehicle. I wanted ABS at any cost as I had enough of scary experience with my Boleros on highways. I did not consider Scorpio as I wanted a vehicle around 4 mtrs in length. So with that requirement, I could only find Quanto, the next best option. Delivery promised in 3 to 4 weeks time.
jp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 11:04   #58
BHPian

Hats off to you GTO. Exemplary review once again. You are the best in business.
sharanvenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 11:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

3) Why didn't Mahindra use Logan's engine in the Quanto? That would have further lowered the Quanto's development costs (and more importantly, development time).

I am no expert, but some reasons could be :
1. Quanto is RWD, and the present engine is mounted longitudinally just like it is in the xylo. So, the layout of many components remain the same?
2. The Logan's engine is mounted transversely, and it may have been a challenge to mount it longitudinally.
3. Save royalty costs.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 12:19   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post

My friend was about to buy a Rio but I would show him the review and encourage him to opt for Quanto. Apparently, People would be interested in this Chchotta Xylo which, I feel, is a good VFM package considering the average tally of Bolero, which is crude and rugged but still brings numbers. Majority do not consider what is underneath the car and just judge it by looking it. This is a strong answer to those who equate price with size and considering it's seating versatility, this could manage good numbers.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Hi Sandy,

For family use, i think we need to look at the ride point of view. And from this point, it lacks a lot of things. For me, the main priority was/is Ride and Comfort.
Similarly, for average people, their mindset is more of finding comfort in their cars, especially for long drives. The VFM is always there but if we can get more from the same kind of money, then why not.
turbo_delight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks