Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 12:29   #61
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Wonderful review GTO. Though I am least interested in the mini-Xylo/Quanto, I read through the review and was laughing all the time. Great attention to detail. Wish Mahindra had folks at their office to read through reviews of cars at teamBHP to avoid repeating mistakes done by them/other car makers. That in itself makes the car so much more likable.

Thanks for a superb write-up.
Madhav
Old 9th October 2012, 12:40   #62
BHPian

GTO why everyone is cribbing about the body roll, is it more than Safari, Scorpio, Xylo, Sumo (also the grande) and for that matter Innova & fortuner. I drove a Innova couple of days back for around 200 kms and realised that the guys sitting in the back were spilling their drinks every time I negotiated a curve on high speed and tell you the truth the speed was close to 70-80 kmph. I also realised that the Innova barely makes it to 130 kmph on a clean stretch.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:40   #63
BHPian

Fabulous Review GTO

its comprehensive enough for anyone to decide for or against it.

i have few questions

1. can we upgrade the tyres to 225
2. will the comfort be better if we get the 2nd row seat padded with foam
3. can there be any jugaad to tilt the 2nd row back rest further back.

Last edited by ad75 : 9th October 2012 at 12:45. Reason: spelling
Old 9th October 2012, 13:13   #64
jp1
BHPian

I booked a Quanto. Is it possible to upgrade the tyre from 205/65R 15 to 215/75R 15 ? I know that Xylo comes in both versions. Tried to check with the dealer, but they are not sure. If this upgrade is possible in Quanto, what are the changes required, both Disc and tyre or only Tyre?

I know that this may affect fuel efficiency and error in ODO meter and I am ok with it.
Old 9th October 2012, 13:29   #65
lsp
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the wonderful review!!

I did a test ride of the Quanto myself sometime ago and I would agree to most points. AT the end of my test drive I sat in the last seat and concluded that it would be ok for short drives for an average sized adult but not for long durations.

One thing that worries me a lot is the fate of the last seat occupants in case the Quanto is hit from behind by a vehicle with a high bonnet eg TFort/other SUVs or (even more dangerous) a tempo, bus or a truck. There is no room for safety and the occupants would be in a very bad shape.
lsp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 13:45   #66
BHPian

Thank you GTO, for the detailed review. One of my colleague was considering about buying one. I asked her to wait till we have an Official review from Team- bhp. Now the onus is on me to forward that for her to decide

Last edited by Aarman_008 : 9th October 2012 at 13:47.
Old 9th October 2012, 13:46   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What about the handling? Hows the ride in the city and the highways?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Did you get a chance to drive it on the highway? If yes, did you find it underpowered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran.Syed View Post
Did I miss the body-roll part or it just wasn't there
Request to please refer to my engine post. It has been sufficiently covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Would be interesting to see the future XYLO numbers as this tend to cannibalize them to some extent.
Definitely. But as Andy Grove said Cannibalise yourself or someone else will do it for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Is that rust you see there between the running board and the body or just a prominent and unpleasant gap ?
No, it's the picture. There wasn't any rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishygk View Post
How is the braking ability and ride quality as compared with the Bolero, do you think its better?
That's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place

One area where the Bolero does score is body roll. It's got a shorter & wider stance. But between the two products overall, there's no doubt that the Quanto is the superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Firstly how bad is the roll over problem
In two words : Very Bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
the other aspect of a powerful and smooth powerplant may quell some doubts about a 3 pot
Make no mistake, the Quanto's 3 cylinder diesel is among the better 3 cylinders out there. The overall result is far superior to what VW has achieved in the Polo diesel.

Quote:
A key question is mileage with Mahindra advertising an ARAI certified mileage of 17.4 kmpl, it may be a dampner for many since the real world mileage would be much lower.
The Quanto's ARAI rating is 4 - 5 kpl more than all other body-on-frame UVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Will this engine fit Verito in case Mahindra decides to discontinue Renault Engine?
Nope. The Quanto's engine will fit other RWD body-on-frame UVs but not a FWD monocoque sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
From TAXI Segment Buyers shoes, both M&M Quanto and Tata Sumo Gold fall is same price bracket, if you had to choose between a Quanto and Sumo Gold, which one you would? and why?
The Sumo Gold has one single advantage over the Quanto : Soft ride quality. In every other area, the Quanto owns it. The Quanto is far more modern, has better interiors, engine, performance etc. I'd pick the Quanto over the antique Sumo Gold any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Why didn't Mahindra use Logan's engine in the Quanto? That would have further lowered the Quanto's development costs (and more importantly, development time).
Not enough power to move that heft. Layout suited to FWD, not RWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
The Xylo AC odometer cannot be reset. Is it the same in the case of Quanto?
I didn't find a way to reset it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
any info on any variants in the pipelines (4cyl and/or 4wd?)
If rumours are anything to go by, a Xylo-engine & 4x4 drivetrain will debut in the Quanto next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Petrol+CNG/LPG seems to be famous nowadays with Taxi operators
With a factory-fitted CNG kit, the Quanto will end up a 5 seater. CNG markets are primarily Delhi & Mumbai only. No CNG in rural India.

Why would Mahindra spend all that time and effort developing a petrol engine for a variant that'll account for 2% of sales? Just doesn't make business sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Wouldn't I stretch myself a little and get the Ertiga Vdi at a lakh and a little more premium over this?
The Ertiga is definitely worth the 1.xx lakh price difference over the Quanto. I'd personally stretch and buy the Maruti if I needed this kind of vehicle.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 13:55   #68
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb review.

The Quanto does fill a gap for a smaller Xylo the SUV projection is of course just a marketing effort.

What I find odd is how they manage to mess up the ride and handling both. Somehow except with the Mono XUV one really is never comfortable with the high speed manners of all their ladder frame chassic options. It is further suprising that they have not mastered the art after so many years in what should be a bread and butter aspect for them.

The interior packaging is really good, but fear that the seat / seat covers will tend to look shabby quite soon.

Irrespective of a few -ves the Quanto should sell well and in many ways is a segment leader being a rear wheel drive ladder frame product in the segment.

AS GTO pointed out the 3 cylinder Engine should give M&M further options for other lighter vehicles. - A segment they need to move to.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 14:05   #69
Senior - BHPian

GTO, A fantastic review.
You mentioned about the braking being mushy, was it not confidence inspiring? Not quite sure if you actually got to test the ABS System (if there was one).

Somehow the looks make it a complete turn off but the mind says it will be a good VFM Package.
Old 9th October 2012, 14:33   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_L View Post
Most of the product development time Mahindra has spent on the engine development - which actually shows better results and which may help them in long term for other vehicles also.
Absolutely spot-on. This engine is the real deal. I'm impressed how Mahindra gets all their engines right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
GTO why everyone is cribbing about the body roll, is it more than Safari, Scorpio, Xylo, Sumo (also the grande) and for that matter Innova & fortuner.
The body roll is as bad as the Safari, maybe a bit worse. You can't even compare it to the Innova which is so much more planted in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
can we upgrade the tyres to 225
Yep, but 225 would be overkill.

Quote:
will the comfort be better if we get the 2nd row seat padded with foam
Definitely.

Quote:
can there be any jugaad to tilt the 2nd row back rest further back.
Easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Is it possible to upgrade the tyre from 205/65R 15 to 215/75R 15?
That's nearly an 8% difference, though the Xylo comes with the same tyre size and it might just work. Check with an expert Mahindra shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
You mentioned about the braking being mushy, was it not confidence inspiring?
Braking was on par with other Mahindra & Tata UVs. Nothing to write home about, did the job.

Quote:
Not quite sure if you actually got to test the ABS System (if there was one).
We did actually when braking from 100 kph. Except for nose dive, the brakes worked as expected. No, the rear didn't step out.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 14:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Great review as usual GTO.
Not sure what all products would get stumped by Quanto. But one product would sure take a hit "Bolero". It has always had a fan following for being cheap and well built. Given that this might be priced even lesser, it will surely impact Bolero's sales.

But dont think Mahindra would be much bothered about that, as long as they are on the top.
Old 9th October 2012, 15:19   #72
Senior - BHPian

Nice car, but apart from the engine i didn't find anything much interesting. The wide wheel wells look more and stance of the car make it look disproportionate. It looks like they took up a Xylo and cut it out more at the rear than the front. The bonnet length is normal but the body behind is shorter and taller. Somewhat like this.

Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-xylo.jpg

Edit: Picture taken from Mahindra Xylo website.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 9th October 2012 at 15:19. Reason: Edit.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 17:01   #73
BHPian

A great review. Only wish the vehicle was worthy of such a review!!
Old 9th October 2012, 17:10   #74
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review GTO. Ideal for taxi market due to better mileage and price than Xylo. Side seats in the third row become useless for long travel with so much body roll.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 17:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

GTO thats a concise review with covering even minute details of the car and not to forget beautiful pics too
Quanto looks like a very practical choice, M&M have just not done a good job on the design. Looks as though the rear of the xylo is just chopped off. Only practicality is given preference over form. Same was the case with the first xylo. M&M sure will manage to sell Quanto in good numbers for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks