Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2012, 16:01   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

I remember earlier BMWs especially the 3 series having this kind of air intake plumbing under the bonnet. In fact those twin kidney grills acted more like air-scoops for the air intake. I hope my memory serves me right!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 16:42   #92
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
OT: Would love to see what this 1.5L can do to the 3920 mm Thar.
Yup. This should save atleast 50k to 60k in excise duty and this money can be used to make the interiors more people-friendly and ergonomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Wil be used only in sub 4m verito, not in regular one.
And when is THAT expected to launch ?
Old 10th October 2012, 17:04   #93
BHPian

Every time I read an official T-BHP review, I always used to think, what more additional details do the mods come up with in the next official review. And I am not disappointed.. Cmon, how on earth, one would try to find the unfinished seat edges????

TOP CLASS GTO..

For me Quanto is one hell of a practical vehicle and even though its not refined as say Duster, Mahindra will have it volumes go up, probably more than its parent itself. Urban user will not be pleased, but surely there are many out there who will want to grab this one.

Do they have Captain Seats option available for the second row?

Cheers,
Greg
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 17:44   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Do they have Captain Seats option available for the second row?
No Option of captain seats at all in Quanto
scopriobharath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 22:26   #95
BHPian

Mod team note:Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill
Well here is a thought! The Quanto is a hit with my wife! So, much that she has booked a test drive and seems to seriously want to purchase it herself.
The only real reason we are prioritizing this car over the duster is the 1-1.5 lakh price difference. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

How do you guys rate the quanto for the typical city runabout - driving in traffic, managing a tight parking, navigating pickups and drops, carrying a bicycle to the beach etc?
I tested the Quanto today and I must say that I am impressed with the way it moves. I was able to potter around Jasola area in Delhi easily in 3rd gear in traffic, without needing to change gears like in my Aveo. The vehicle doesn't feel heavy or underpowered at all. The acceleration on open road was commendable for a 3 cyl 100bhp diesel lugging a heavy body and the gearing was well spaced out to give it long legs too. The overall driving experience was quite good.
Regarding body roll, I didn't feel uncomfortable at all, even on the very rough patch under the Jasola flyover. Since I could not drive it on a highway, i cannot say about high speed manners yet (though i would guess that if driven at a steady easy speed, it should be quite comfy). The driving position is commanding and higher than even the Innova. Features and quality wise, it's just about ok and definitely can see improvement.
As a multi purpose vehicle for a normal family of four, it makes perfect sense. It's easy to manoeuvre in the city and driving in stop go traffic, especially with the commanding view. The only fly in the ointment is the rear view, which when reversing, can be quite tough.
Regarding carrying a bicycle to the beach, I guess you will have to invest in the roof carrier that can be bought as an accessory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc
GTO why everyone is cribbing about the body roll, is it more than Safari, Scorpio, Xylo, Sumo (also the grande) and for that matter Innova & fortuner. I drove a Innova couple of days back for around 200 kms and realised that the guys sitting in the back were spilling their drinks every time I negotiated a curve on high speed and tell you the truth the speed was close to 70-80 kmph. I also realised that the Innova barely makes it to 130 kmph on a clean stretch.
I agree! I drove the Quanto today and did not feel any more body roll than what comparable vehicles have (except probably the Duster). I also agree that even a Fortuner is uncomfortable on a badly levelled or undulating road. So, what's the fuss about body roll in the Quanto? I think it's also psychological; the vehicle is short and tall, with small wheels. So, it's natural to think that it might roll more than something that's longer and with bigger wheels.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th October 2012 at 22:47.
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 02:37   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Is there any chance this mCR100 engine will get into VERITO?. Though Verito has renault's proven engine, this Mahindra's own engine will make a difference for sure.

Ignore, if already discussed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Wil be used only in sub 4m verito, not in regular one.
The smaller version is supposed to be launched later this year, right? Looking forward to that day.........
Old 11th October 2012, 09:50   #97
BHPian

Thanks GTO, an excellent review. Will no doubt help address queries of many prospective buyers. Rating it 5 stars

Actually, I'm disappointed with this whole package - Quanto. I had high expectations and was waiting for it for more than 18 months, but the end result has been sort of anti-climax .

Probably the 2nd or 3rd generation of Quanto will be more better, but that would be a good 12-18 months away, I guess.

I think I will give Quanto a miss and look at some other options *sigh* maybe a spacious hatch like vista as my budget tops @ 7.5 L ( At this price in Blr, I can just about get the lowest version c2 of quanto, which at this stage I'm not sure whether it's worth paying that much)

Last edited by haria : 11th October 2012 at 09:57.
Old 11th October 2012, 17:06   #98
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
The acceleration on open road was commendable for a 3 cyl 100bhp diesel lugging a heavy body and the gearing was well spaced out to give it long legs too.
Agreed.

Quote:
I drove the Quanto today and did not feel any more body roll than what comparable vehicles have (except probably the Duster).
The Quanto has amongst the worst body roll I've ever experienced. Of course, that's not to say that the Safari or Scorpio also don't suffer from excessive roll.

Quote:
I also agree that even a Fortuner is uncomfortable on a badly levelled or undulating road.
The Fortuner also has a bumpy ride. However, just because a 20 lakh vehicle has a disadvantage, that doesn't automatically make the problem acceptable for a 7 lakh ride. It's like saying "Yeah, I can live with an unreliable Hyundai Verna. After all, the Mercedes E-Class also has reliability issues. What's the big deal?" This line of thought is completely absurd. A disadvantage is a disadvantage, whatever the price point.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 19:09   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed.

The Quanto has amongst the worst body roll I've ever experienced. Of course, that's not to say that the Safari or Scorpio also don't suffer from excessive roll.

The Fortuner also has a bumpy ride. However, just because a 20 lakh vehicle has a disadvantage, that doesn't automatically make the problem acceptable for a 7 lakh ride. It's like saying "Yeah, I can live with an unreliable Hyundai Verna. After all, the Mercedes E-Class also has reliability issues. What's the big deal?" This line of thought is completely absurd. A disadvantage is a disadvantage, whatever the price point.
Well said GTO, you know how to hit the nail and where it has to be hit. Price points apart a disadvantage has to be a disadvantage.
Old 11th October 2012, 19:21   #100
Senior - BHPian

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16767808.cms

Quote:
India's largest utility vehicle maker, Mahindra & Mahindra has managed to get booking of 5,000 units of compact Sports Utility Vehicle 'Quanto' within three weeks of its launch.
Cash register starts to fill-in

Quote:
"This gives us the confidence that the customers appreciate the Quanto's distinctive looks, flexible 5+2 seating & go anywhere capability," Shah added.
Old 12th October 2012, 09:52   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

I agree with you; there is no reason why a lower priced vehicle having bad handling is to be pardoned. What I wanted to say was that in my experience of the M&M / TATA products (whatever little that I have so far), the body roll of the Quanto seemed at par with the rest. I am yet to try it out on a fast stretch to see how much it rides waves and wobbles. That would be the make it or break it point. My decision will be squarely based on that, as my wife tends to get sick in an excessively rolling vehicle. Which is also why I haven't bought a Scorpio or Safari so far. And which is also why the Duster is such a tempting option. To tell the truth, the only SUV that I have really enjoyed being in is the Range Rover Vogue! But then; it's way way of out of any budget that I can even dream of!
Old 12th October 2012, 16:24   #102
Senior - BHPian

Wasnt the development cost of Quanto 100 crores? or was it more? if its 5000 bookings that they have got, they have recovered 25% of the development cost in the very first month!
Old 12th October 2012, 17:02   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Wasnt the development cost of Quanto 100 crores? or was it more? if its 5000 bookings that they have got, they have recovered 25% of the development cost in the very first month!
That's the "incremental" cost for Quanto. What about the cost of the Xylo platform that has to be allocated here..
Old 12th October 2012, 21:33   #104

Hi Friends,

Past seven years I have been driving pre-owned Zen (Carb). Year back I fitted CNG kit because my monthly driving had increased and was somewhere around 1200km/ month. The car is now returning more than 25km/kg. But with the installation of CNG, the car has become heavier and lowered GC thus making it not worthy of outstation trips. Therefore a need for a new vehicle arises, preferably Diesel, because lower running cost and low end torque (for hill driving).My budget is in the vicinity of Rs 7 lacs. I have shortlisted the Mahindra’s Quanto "C4" on the basis of following positive factors:
- Spacious Interior and huge luggage space (after folding of rear seats).
- Excellent driving position. (after sitting so low in my zen)
- Diesel Engine with decent/respectable specification.
- Manufacturer with long term market presence and large product portfolio.
- Spares can be easily bought from the market.
- Rugged ladder frame chassis design.
- Nice ground clearance, making the vehicle capable of being driven to some less explored destination.
- Lot of options for modification such as Bull bar, Sleek Luggage carrier, Extra lights, tyres e.t.c. to give the looks of macho SUV.

I am a sedated driver, on highways I use to drive between 80-100 kmph and in city I try not to exceed 60. Thus believing that the negative factor i.e Body Roll, will not affect me, that much.
I request the fellow bhpians to advice whether there are any other factors which I should consider and also, is there any other vehicle available which falls within the above criteria and budget?

Thanx
Old 13th October 2012, 14:27   #105
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
......a need for a new vehicle arises, preferably Diesel, because lower running cost and low end torque (for hill driving).My budget is in the vicinity of Rs 7 lacs. I have shortlisted the Mahindra’s Quanto "C4" on the basis of following positive factors:
- Spacious Interior and huge luggage space (after folding of rear seats).
- Excellent driving position. (after sitting so low in my zen)
- Diesel Engine with decent/respectable specification.
- Manufacturer with long term market presence and large product portfolio.
- Spares can be easily bought from the market.
- Rugged ladder frame chassis design.
- Nice ground clearance, making the vehicle capable of being driven to some less explored destination.
- Lot of options for modification such as Bull bar, Sleek Luggage carrier, Extra lights, tyres e.t.c. to give the looks of macho SUV.

I am a sedated driver, on highways I use to drive between 80-100 kmph and in city I try not to exceed 60. Thus believing that the negative factor i.e Body Roll, will not affect me, that much.
I request the fellow bhpians to advice whether there are any other factors which I should consider and also, is there any other vehicle available which falls within the above criteria and budget?

Thanx
- exactly the type of private customer that mahindra expects
- other than a few, 90% of the market (does not care about / willing to live with) body roll, poor steering feel, bad shift quality etc; because realistically, 90% of people want ease of driving in traffic & reasonably quick ride
- as GTO pointed out, the taxi market will turn upside down with the arrival of this; taxiwallahs dont need to baby-sit the quanto over rough surfaces, dirt roads etc; huge luggage options - back seat folded, roof rack.
- should be a hit in semi-urban, rural locations where no guarantee of tarmac surface - the body on frame will be a peace of mind
- for the aam-junta "butch looks" is what an *UV is about - whatever looks imposing in the rear view mirror is considered "tough" on any terrain; I am sure there will be buyers who want a "tough" image but dont want to spend so much on the xylo/scorpio, zeroing in on this.

Last edited by venkyhere : 13th October 2012 at 14:29.

Most Viewed