Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 19:41   #76
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Happened to see it on Expressway yesterday. Looked exactly like the Premier Rio in dimensions. However, seems to be a better finished product than the Rio.

To me it is exactly as someone has reported in previous post. Chop off the rear of Xylo and you have Quanto. Can't they at least make some changes so that it looks distinctive.

Ertiga for example is from the Ritz/Swift platform still looks pretty nice compared to what Mahindra did for Quanto.

Still Mahindra vehicles sell, so something must be right !!

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 19:45   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Its quite a good mileage for this paper weight with wheels.
Thanks to GTO for a great review ! Mahindra has an answer to all market needs and I/m sure this will sell in large numbers, more so in the TAXI market.

I am confident that the mileage will also be somewhere in the 17 kpl on highways. My ARIA returned 13 kpl on a Delhi-Udaipur-Kumbalgarh-Jaipur-Delhi run recently, measured full to full tank, normal HP diesel. The ARAI mileage is 13.7 kpl for the ARIA !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayadalam View Post

1. Heavy Body Roll - Lack of confidence for passengers & the driver

Just like everyone else in the forum, now waiting for the Storme to get launched.
I agree with you 100%. The Xylo and the Scorpio are known to ride waves. The Storme should be an answer to your SUV desires. In my recent 1700 km + trip to Udaipur, I am amazed with the handling of the ARIA - as also the sure stopping power the 4 discs pack in ! The storme is a Safari shell bolted onto the ARIA's chassis - should handle like it too !

The STORME is being launched this festive season for sure - TATA service stations are training their advisors this week.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th October 2012 at 22:25. Reason: posts merged...
lifebuoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 20:23   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb review, right up there in the 5-star section of Team-BHP's quality standards. Rated as well, and very deservedly so.

Despite it's flaws, this mini Xylo will sell. And sell well till the Ecosport arrives. Reasons?

- It's a Mahindra, it's small and it's an excellent choice for the semi-rural, urban and semi-urban taxi segments. I expect to see a lot of Quantos running around these roads within the next 6 months.

- M&M's A.S.S. outlets, specially in the semi-rural areas. (despite their pathetic attention to A.S.S. services)

- Not many options in this price range (except maybe the Duster 85).

- Features offered at this price range are very good. Interior space is excellent, and could put a quite a few segment competitors to shame. A perfect option for those looking for a SUV-ish experience instead of premium hatches/ entry-level sedans.

- The latest SUV-owning craze which has dominated the markets since the past couple years or so. (Look ma, I own a SUV!)

As for me, the Quanto can never be an SUV in my book. Somehow it doesn't tick all the boxes for an SUV. Someone else had a perfect reference for the Quanto - "an over-blown hatch with superb GC." That's what it is and always will be. Despite being similarly short and carrying a smaller engine, the Ecosport retains a lot of the SUV-like character than the Quanto. I can't say why exactly - maybe it's the looks, or the features. Can't pinpoint it.

Sales will be good, much more than the Xylo, maybe match the Bolero on sales as well. It's a practical, well-rounded, well-featured option in a segment where it doesn't have much competition. M&M have scored another winner here. But it won't get my recommendation. If you want an SUV, add a few extra bucks and go for a proper SUV, IMO.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 22:46   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
One thing that worries me a lot is the fate of the last seat occupants in case the Quanto is hit from behind by a vehicle with a high bonnet eg TFort/other SUVs or (even more dangerous) a tempo, bus or a truck. There is no room for safety and the occupants would be in a very bad shape.
From GTO's review photos of the third row seats, it appears to me that occupants in the third row may not only be in a very bad shape, they probably would have no shape at all...if the Quanto is involved in a collision from the rear end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But as Andy Grove said Cannibalise yourself or someone else will do it for you!
Excellent quote and Maruti is one such company that is more than happy to have an intra-company competition, instead of mere inter-company competition.

Quote:
The Ertiga is definitely worth the 1.xx lakh price difference over the Quanto. I'd personally stretch and buy the Maruti if I needed this kind of vehicle.
This basically answers my query and moreover, sums up the entire review for many who have shortlisted a Rs 7-8 lakh MUV and cant decide between the Ertiga and the Quanto.

But what I like about the Quanto is its excellent driver visibility. I prefer a higher view of the road, as well as looking over and beyond a car/s ahead of me. Besides, there it is psychological to feel safer and more secure inside a bigger and taller MUV. After all, not many cars would want to jump/cut into your lane or barge ahead, if you are in a Quanto.

Also, a taller and bigger MUV (with car-like refinement and with 5+2 seating capabilities) is now available at about Rs 7 lakh.

Till now, I had the Ertiga in mind as my next car after the i10. Now, the Quanto is a worthy rival in terms of big cabin/boot space, decent comfort, 5+2 seating capabilities and within a price tag of Rs 7 lakh.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 23:06   #80
BHPian

Nice review GTO,

4x4 option for export market looks tempting for me. Mahindra is known for its better 4x4 vehicles over TATA. But have to wait and see when they are going to launch it . It's high time to take a serious note by TATA. There is huge market for compact 4x4s in India which is very well ignored by all the manufacturers.
Old 9th October 2012, 23:59   #81
Pal
BHPian

Superb review GTO and Parrys. It was crisp, well woven and very informative!

Big shout out to the project engineers for the following innovative engineering approach:

1) Dual swirl turbo
2) Intercooler air ducting design (probably due to design intent of I.C. placement/ lack of bonnet scoop to make less aggresive) Hope the two mouths seal well on bonnet shuts.
On other thoughts, don't ICs usually need to be dampened and bolted onto chassis? What about fin failures due to engine vibrations?
3) Integrated Rear washer on rear windshield (how did they manage to do that? Sealing? Tubes?)
4) AC running hrs! (gimmicky for a vehicle IMHO but interesting application could be used for home A/Cs)
and finally,
5) That little hook for holding a bag upright in the last row. Ah! You won my heart with its lovely thoughtfulness

As for the rough edges around the interiors - c'mon Mahindra! Just pull up the plastics manufacturers for lack of 'trimming'! One meeting job!
Pal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 00:57   #82
Senior - BHPian

Great review and kudos to Mahindra for coming up with a low cost variant. They know their customers well and anyone coming from a Bolero will be delighted with the refinement and modernity of the Quanto.

The right way to do it would be to cut length from both the front and rear rather that just the rear. That would liberate more room behind the 2nd row but Mahindra went for the cheaper option.

Urban yuppie need not waste time here. Stick to your i-20s and Jazzeses.

Quote:
There is a motorcycle parked right behind the Quanto here. See it? Neither could I. Be cautious while reversing; low slung cars parked right behind you are invisible:
Good point. An even more serious problem is children playing behind a parked car going un-noticed. There have been some fatalities that have resulted from similar situation.

Quote:
That's 500 kg of extra metal over the Renault Duster and 400 more than Ertiga
Whoa! imagine how much additional cost they are incurring due to that

Quote:
The rear is too short, and the doors & windows too big for a vehicle of this length. Notice the minimal rear overhang:
I think its because the doors and windows are straight liftoff from the Xylo...to keep costs low.

Last edited by Mpower : 10th October 2012 at 01:32.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 04:24   #83

Sharp and objective review, valuable to draw comparisons for potential car buyers.
GTO's reviews are meticulously detailed, reading them is never a waste of time, needful information and content for curiousity.

Quote:
A problem area with most Mahindra and Tata vehicles is their weight. Weight is an enemy of performance, efficiency & dynamics.
True, Mahindra and Tata try to offset these shortcomings with their pricing.
With Quanto, Mahindra should have had massive R&D cost cuts, utilizing the same/minimally modified tooling and equipment. Even the wheelbase hasn't been touched.
Weight is complimented by high centre of gravity hindering the dynamic stability. Some people will only look at the intimidation quotient at that price.

Quote:
The Quanto is a good utility vehicle for those on a budget, but it's no hatchback slayer.
Refined engine, low end torque boosted by twin scroll turbo kicking right after you release the clutch are all compelling, but those who travel in the likes of Swift i20, Punto, Polo on well paved roads would surely be disappointed because roughness of the tarmac as well as road undulations are not isolated from the occupants.

Quote:
the air-con compressor stops running. That's the last thing you want in traffic on a hot day.
Quite disconcerting, a 'micro hybrid' essentially needs a competent battery to keep the compressor running when the engine is killed, in addition to KERS if I am not wrong.

Quote:
I must add that grip from the Bridgestone B390 tyres isn't too bad, but the body roll & chassis behaviour will make you back off
Wheel upgrade might fill the arch better, but would further impede the handling characteristics in my opinion.

Quote:
The intercooler is mounted on top of the engine.
Impressive integration in comparison to Indigo's top mounted unit.

Quote:
Carpet is stapled to the floor. Staple pattern is inconsistent
Utter lack of standardization, things you cannot blame on cost cutting.
All the while the puzzle of Panel Assembly seems too tricky for our line operators, misaligned/ improperly fitted panels are commonplace for Indian cars. It also seems that there is a lot of variance in the dimensions, car to car, making interior and exterior panels stretch or squeeze to accommodate.
cawnpore ghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 08:54   #84
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for a brilliant review GTO.

A pleasant surprise to know that the NVH characteristics of the 1.5L engine is very much acceptable. Very interesting plumbing as well. Shows Mahindra put effort here.

Where they didn't care much is aesthetics. The rear is the smartest bit. But I can't help but think why they couldn't try and lower the roof by shortening the pillars. Sure, it would mean shorter doors, windows, windscreen etc. and added cost, but the vehicle would have looked much better.

Also, they could have added the bonnet from the face lifted Xylo. It would have made the Quanto look less bulky up front.

Wondering how M&M got it wrong on both the ride and handling. At least, they should have aimed for for a plush ride. It matters.

OT: Would love to see what this 1.5L can do to the 3920 mm Thar.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 09:37   #85
BHPian

Nice review .. not so nice a UV, compared to Ertiga. The Quanto looks like everything's been made to try and "fit" together using parts sourced from other vehicles. The vehicle seems to be a mish-mash of 3 design teams, each with strong egos, not willing to give up on their design elements. It's not "finished" or.. polished and seems cluttered when it comes to the interiors. There is no refinement or taste in the fitting of components and oh God, that remote looks like a cheapo-chinese made thingummie, available for 50Rs. on Street/Sunday Bazaars.

But, at the end of the day you get what you pay for and the proof's in this fact - it's a half baked and hurriedly put together design. I don't know how long these interiors will hold up - I am referring to those buttons, adjustment levers, etc that get a fair bit of use in day-to-day driving. With Mahindra's questionable servicing and after sales support, I see two possibilities:
  • This vehicle will mainly be used by Cabbies in Towns/Cities to carry employees during weekdays and the odd weekend trip to a nearby tourist attraction
  • The resale value will go down considerably due to high deprecation and maintenance costs
Not very impressed with the vehicle. Clean review though!
Old 10th October 2012, 10:30   #86
BHPian

To me the Quanto looks like a hurried offering. Also as pointed out by GTO, Mahindra seems to be doing brilliant when it comes to engines and leaves a wanting gap in other areas, XUV though could be a exception here (still styling looks like a overdone job to me).

IMO Mahindra could have modified the Scorpio instead of the Xylo to be in this compact SUV race. Chopping a MUV partially and sticking a spare wheel on the rear door does not make this a compact SUV any day. The tall rear door and the considerable height of the vehicle still shows its MUV origins.

Summing up, though the concept looks brilliant, execution looks a little hurried.
Old 10th October 2012, 11:08   #87
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post

IMO Mahindra could have modified the Scorpio instead of the Xylo to be in this compact SUV race. Chopping a MUV partially and sticking a spare wheel on the rear door does not make this a compact SUV any day. The tall rear door and the considerable height of the vehicle still shows its MUV origins.

Summing up, though the concept looks brilliant, execution looks a little hurried.
Man!!! This is a very good Idea.

Scorpio has been in a market for a decade. By now, Mahindra's have reaped all the investment with interest that they have put on Scorpio. If they could use the same platform and made a sub 4M car out of this, that would have risk free investment & would have been great.

I somehow feel that, they have invested heavily on building a platform for Xylo. As it is not selling well, they were not able to reap the investment from sales(Remember: Discounts on Xylo), so they have invested some more on the same platform (In stocks: Averaging) and they are trying to sell it.

In my opinion, i would always ensure that, the brand image will not be at stake (remember XUV 5OO) while offering any product. Esp a product like Quanto.

If i were in Mahindra's place, I would have invested some more and would have corrected the
==> vehicle weight
==> Height
==> 16 INch wheels
==> Shorter Bonnet
==> Another 2 inches for rear seaters (another brick in the wall)
and then would have shown in the market with the Logo "Mahindra RISE "
and these are my opinions. Not complaining about Quanto but emulating it to XUV level.
  (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 12:37   #88
BHPian

One good thing about Quanto being launched is that we can expect to see some Xylo's being modified with spare wheel covering its hideous rear end.
Old 10th October 2012, 14:07   #89
BHPian

Is there any chance this mCR100 engine will get into VERITO?. Though Verito has renault's proven engine, this Mahindra's own engine will make a difference for sure.

Ignore, if already discussed.
Old 10th October 2012, 14:56   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Is there any chance this mCR100 engine will get into VERITO?. Though Verito has renault's proven engine, this Mahindra's own engine will make a difference for sure.
Wil be used only in sub 4m verito, not in regular one.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks