Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 23:33   #256
BHPian

Re: Major Issue in Mahindra Quanto - Mahindra shows a "don't care" attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaand View Post
Hi,

I recently bought (Dec 2013) a Quanto C8 at Sireesh Automobiles, Bangalore. After driving it for a couple of days I found that there is an inherent vibration issue in the vehicle at slow speeds (under 2000 rpm) while driving in 1st or 2nd gear. So this makes the vehicle highly unusable in city traffic, especially in peak traffic.

Complaining to Mahindra was of no avail. Though they are aware of the problem, they just sent me an email saying that "the vehicle is behaving as per design" and washed their hands off it. The pleasure of buying & owning a new car was completely soured by Mahindra's attitude towards my plight.

2 reasons for putting this on your forum is:
1. To forewarn buyers so that they are made aware of this issue before they invest their hard earned money on the Quanto.

2. After talking to the service advisors at Sireesh Auto, I find other Quanto owners are also facing the same problem. Couple of other Quanto's that I drove also have this issue. I want to know if Quanto users in your forum have faced this issue and if yes, I would like to know if they have taken any corrective measures to resolve it?

Regards,
Anaand
Anaand - I have a quanto and I noted this observation too. My full ownership thread is at - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rs-report.html

The part about the vibration is reproduced below:
---------------------------------------------------------------
- Engine performance & driveability in the city
The engine is, for the most part quite smooth - specially considering it is a 3 cylinder. However, there is a significant vibration at approximately 1000 to 1200 rpm. Now, what this means is, in the first gear you are sure to feel this - and this is visible even in 2nd gear when going a tad slow. It feels like you are lugging the engine a little. This is the only bother I have at this point regarding the engine.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Well. That's the design of the engine and I don't think much can be done. HOWEVER, the good news is that somewhere around 5 to 6k kms, the vibration has smoothened out quite a bit. Now, after 15k kms, I only see a slight hint of the vibration around 1000 to 1300 rpm, but it is definitely way way less than what it was when it was <1000 kms.

In short, the engine smoothens out quite a bit, and I suggest you to just munch the miles a little and enjoy the car to its potential!

So,
deep_bang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 00:37   #257
gemi_kk

This kinda vibration does exists in 3 pot petrols too. If you upshift at low speeds, you will be able to reproduce the same.

This is inherent to 3 pots as two pistons would be moving up and one down at the same time, This causes the shaft to shake a bit, causing more engine movement which ends us as vibration in cabin.

In 4 cylinder configuration, 2 cylinders move up and 2 down, so there will be good balance. So the vibration is negligible.

And this is the reason why 3 pots aren't as famous as the Ivtec's.
  (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 10:27   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Anaand - I have a quanto and I noted this observation too.
=============
In short, the engine smoothens out quite a bit, and I suggest you to just munch the miles a little and enjoy the car to its potential!

So,
Thanks for tip...this lifts a considerable load off my mind. My car is done around 2k now.. as you suggest let me clock more miles and check.

But strange, Mahindra did not give me this advice!

Regards,
Anaand
Old 8th May 2014, 14:28   #259
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Quote:
I found that there is an inherent vibration issue in the vehicle at slow speeds (under 2000 rpm) while driving in 1st or 2nd gear. So this makes the vehicle highly unusable in city traffic, especially in peak traffic.
The same has been mentioned in our official review too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the flip side, most Quanto owners will complain about noticeable engine & drivetrain vibration between 1,000 - 1,300 rpm which can be felt throughout the vehicle. This shuddering is typical of most Mahindra & Tata UVs and is only at the initial stage; it smoothens out after 1,500 rpm. The vibration is most prominent when you lug the engine.
Best solution is to avoid lugging the engine (too high a gear at too low a speed).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 09:03   #260
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I recently bought (Dec 2013) a Quanto C8 at Sireesh Automobiles, Bangalore. After driving it for a couple of days I found that there is an inherent vibration issue in the vehicle at slow speeds (under 2000 rpm) while driving in 1st or 2nd gear. So this makes the vehicle highly unusable in city traffic, especially in peak traffic.

Regards,
Anaand
Hi Anaand
Congrats
I also drive a quanto mostly in city traffic and I dont find it difficult to drive. Vibration has reduced considerably after crossing 5k. You have to keep the rpm around 2k when you start moving and the vibration can be minimized considerably.
jp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 11:25   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
M&M Quanto AMT Launch expected by 2014 festive season ( Sep-Oct 2014).

http://carsizzler.com/news-detail/00...ve-season.html
Hi,
Can we get any heads-up on features/performance before launch?
Is it possible to upgrade the existing engine in the vehicle to the new semi-automatic at a reasonable cost?

Regards,
Anaand
Old 13th May 2014, 14:56   #262

Dont worry about vibrations. I have also experienced that engine becomes smooth around 5.5k. Try to keep the RMP always above 1500. The only problem i face in heavy traffic with quanto in its big size.
sapan.turkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 22:06   #263
Senior - BHPian

***Rumour*** - Probable Facelift Spotted

I was travelling along the Western Express Highway today and I spotted a Quanto all wrapped up in that typical black and white wrap.

Could be a probable Facelift. I dont have a camera mobile, so could not take any pictures. The vehicle was parked in the Mahindra office at Kandivali,
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 15:23   #264
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra is rumoured to be gearing up to launch the Quanto with an automated manual transmission by the end of the year.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 17:01   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Mahindra is rumoured to be gearing up to launch the Quanto with an automated manual transmission by the end of the year.
Who is the supplier for the AMT? Is it again Magnetti Mareilli?

PS: Sorry found the answer... it's Ricardo.
http://www.ricardo.com/en-GB/News--M...-with-Ricardo/

Last edited by ajman28 : 26th September 2014 at 17:03. Reason: Found the information after posting
ajman28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 13:58   #266
BHPian

Mahindra is clearly barking up the wrong tree here.

The Quanto was a dud and will remain so even after the addition of the AMT. Mahindra has to redesign the awkward proportions of the Quanto. They are better off spending the R&D money on the aesthetics rather than this AMT exercise.

If the Mahindra market research team have been doing their job right, they would have surely concluded that the most obvious reason for the failure of the Quanto are the ugly looks. Then why respond with this AMT jazz instead?!
Old 28th September 2014, 12:22   #267
BHPian

Some people never get tired of flogging their dead horses. Everyone except the folks at mahindra knows that this product will never sell, in its current shape & proportions.

Slightly OT,but another similar case is that of Nissan evalia. Even a small kid can tell that this vehicle won't sell here with such an ugly rear-end.But Nissan is stubborn that they will keep trying & sell it here some day!

Wonder why some companies don't learn from others mistakes or their own previous mistakes and keep on doing the same thing again & again?
Old 28th September 2014, 16:29   #268
Senior - BHPian

Guys you have to appreciate the fact that from an auto companies point of view
1. There is already a sunk cost in product development and so such incremental initiatives are just a small delta worth the effort

2. This is also M&M 's way of testing out the AMT - Mhawk engine combo in a low volume model before bringing it into the Bolero/Scorpio/XUV

This is indeed a smart move
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 13:38   #269
Team-BHP Support

The Quanto AMT has been spotted testing.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-quanto1.jpg

Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-quanto2.jpg

Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-quanto3.jpg

Source: IAB
Aditya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 13:35   #270
BHPian

Spotted this AMT Quanto today at Kathipara Bridge, Chennai. The driver drove fast and when caught up with him in a signal I could see that the interiors are not camouflaged and U303 sticker pasted on the windscreens.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-quanto2.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto : Official Review-quanto1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks