Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2014, 18:07   #286
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

Hi,

JATCO supplies AT/CVT to Japanese automakers including Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki, as well as to manufacturers around the world such as Renault and GM.

http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/company/understand.html

Does Honda procure it from someone or makes them on their own?

On a side note:

Longer-term durability and reliability of some CVTs -- especially those mated to higher-horsepower engines -- has been an issue. Nissan Motor Co. CEO Carlos Ghosn recently singled out the company’s CVTs, from Japanese supplier Jatco Corp., as particularly prone to recalls. Volkswagen Group of America recently settled a class-action lawsuit regarding failures of CVTs in 2002-06 Audi A4 and A6 vehicles.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...-redo-with-cvt

Thanks,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Expect the CVT to show up very soon in the Brio, smaller, lighter and better FE. The Thai Brio has a CVT.

Last edited by pradkumar : 30th May 2014 at 18:16.
Old 31st May 2014, 10:04   #287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post

Longer-term durability and reliability of some CVTs -- especially those mated to higher-horsepower engines -- has been an issue.
The Brio does not exactly fit the bill of a high hp engine.
Old 12th August 2014, 00:20   #288
BHPian

While the wait for my Brio AT is taking forever, I thought I'll get some inputs on a few upgrades.

1) For tyres, I do not plan to upsize, but I might get better quality tyres. My priority is Comfort>Puncture-resistance>Braking.

Hankook or Yokohama or Michelin or stick to stock if it comes with Goodyear?

2) Will the tailgate spoiler (Honda accessory) really improve high-speed handling or is it merely cosmetic?

Last edited by ashwin489 : 12th August 2014 at 00:22.
Old 12th August 2014, 09:30   #289
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
1) For tyres, I do not plan to upsize, but I might get better quality tyres. My priority is Comfort>Puncture-resistance>Braking.

2) Will the tailgate spoiler (Honda accessory) really improve high-speed handling or is it merely cosmetic?
1. Stock is mostly MRF. Not as bad as I first thought.
2. It is of no real use, just cosmetic.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 13:17   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stock MRF are too noisy, I have replaced them with Yokohama Earth1 for my wife's Brio on the day of delivery itself!

Spoiler is of no use, mere cosmetic contraption!
Old 12th August 2014, 18:17   #291
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Stock MRF are too noisy, I have replaced them with Yokohama Earth1 for my wife's Brio on the day of delivery itself!
Michelin and Bridgestone also tend to be noisy. I have ZVTS in both my Brio and our daughter-in-law's Amaze. A bit noisy but no too bad. The Michelins in my Civic are also noisy.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 22:55   #292
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys, but back to my first question. I tried searching for an answer on the forum, but couldn't find a concrete answer.

If my priorities are Comfort>Puncture-resistance>Braking, which one would be my best bet? Hankook Optimo, Yokohama Earth, Michelin XM2, Goodyear or MRF?
Old 13th August 2014, 00:38   #293
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My fiance has a Brio with stock MRF zvtv and I drive a Beat with stock Good Year tyres. Based on my experience, I can safely say that Good Year tyres are way better than MRF zvtv in terms of comfort and braking. MRF zvtvs feel very hard, I can feel the smallest pebble coming under the wheels. I was once driving the Brio on concrete road in heavy rains and the car slipped off the edge of an uneven concrete patch. Grip levels are too bad.

Good Year on Beat: Done a lot of heavy braking and never once has it felt inadequate even with 5 passengers on board. They are hard as well but not as hard as MRFs.

Puncture resistance: MRF has punctured more than Good Year though I would not blame the tyres for it. (Car with MRFs was driven in Bangalore on bad roads [lots of broken glass, nails etc])

Previously, when we owned a Zen we had replaced the stock tyres with Michelin XM1+. They were the best ones I have ever used so far and I would recommend the same to you. Not sure about XM2 (if the qualities of XM1+ are inherited) or Yokohama (never tested) .
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 10:00   #294
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs guys, but back to my first question. I tried searching for an answer on the forum, but couldn't find a concrete answer.

If my priorities are Comfort>Puncture-resistance>Braking, which one would be my best bet? Hankook Optimo, Yokohama Earth, Michelin XM2, Goodyear or MRF?
I will cut out Hankook from the list - too unknown. For puncture take the desi brands, Overall Michelin.. I see Bridgestone missing from your list.
Old 10th September 2014, 15:30   #295
BHPian

I got my Brio AT delivered a few days ago. Have to say I regret my purchase badly. Extremely poor acceleration, not sure how Honda managed to mess this up so bad. I guess the transmission is to blame, as it sucks the life of you and the car.

The short test drive (in traffic) before booking did not make me realize how slow this car is. I guess I was just excited to finally get my hands on an automatic during the TD, after selling off my old powerful AT. How I wish I had not been "practical" and picked up a Polo TSI.

I am not sure how I can sell this off at a minimal loss, as I have only temporarily registered it. Biggest mistake of my life!

Note to potential owners: avoid this car if you plan to take it anywhere close to a highway.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 10th September 2014 at 15:40. Reason: more venting
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 15:33   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got my Brio AT delivered a few days ago. Have to say I regret my purchase. Extremely poor acceleration, not sure how Honda managed to mess this up so bad.

The short test drive I took before making a booking did not make me realize how slow this car is. I guess I was just excited to finally drive an automatic during the TD, after selling off my old powerful AT.

I am not sure how I can sell this off at a minimal loss. Biggest mistake of my life!
Are you sure this particular car doesn't have any issues? Because you found it to be OK during test drive.
Old 10th September 2014, 15:50   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Are you sure this particular car doesn't have any issues? Because you found it to be OK during test drive.
The short test drive I took was in traffic, after driving to the car showroom in a MT car. I guess I was biased to begin with, since I liked the looks of the car and wanted an AT that was reliable.

I am certain that the car is functioning as designed. I don't think any ECU upgrades will improve things; experts please pitch in.

After spending so much time waiting for car, I am just lost and I can't wait to get rid of it.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 10th September 2014 at 15:54.
Old 10th September 2014, 16:42   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After spending so much time waiting for car, I am just lost and I can't wait to get rid of it.
Good that you have only temporarily registered it. Hope you have not removed the seat covers (plastics) etc. Is there a waiting period for this car? If it has, you may be able to sell with very minimal loss.
Old 10th September 2014, 16:42   #299
BANNED

@ashwin489; Try D3, the lag is dramatically reduced.
Old 11th September 2014, 06:06   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@ashwin489; Try D3, the lag is dramatically reduced.
D3 doesn't cut it for me :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Good that you have only temporarily registered it. Hope you have not removed the seat covers (plastics) etc. Is there a waiting period for this car? If it has, you may be able to sell with very minimal loss.
I removed every bit of plastic on the first night itself. The car did have a waiting period a couple of months ago, but I'm still a little confused going through with it. The problem is I am not sure if a replacement exists, given my parking situation.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 11th September 2014 at 06:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks