Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:17   #361
Senior - BHPian

BHPians, urgent question here. Please help. Kindly check the image and the car key in it.

I turned it this morning and the key broke off from the fob. It wouldn't start the car with just the key. But push that black thingy on to it, it started and stayed alive.

I was able to drive it from my friend's house to mine. I am not in town where the car was purchased. Car belongs to my sister.

Is it OK to drive the car this way? I have to return to Chennai tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The hesitation in the transmission is a Honda trait inherited from the Civic (the original / source of the AT). So when I saw it I found in quite familiar. As for the Aircon it was pretty good till the compressor more or less failed on my Brio.
Not sure if it is my all in my mind, but the car behaves better with Shell petrol with regards to gear changes. Anyway as I have mentioned below, maybe that is all the small car can cool. Will check coolant level during service just to be sure.

Car performed excellently on the Chennai - Bangalore highway. Does bounce a bit but go-kartish handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
I have a 2013 model and this past summer in Delhi heat, I did not find any issues. It would cool the cabin pretty well and quickly.
I checked both the fans in the engine bay and it was running. No deposits on the condenser coils as well. I guess that is the capacity of the AC in the car. I'll ask them to check the coolant once it is gone for service.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review-brio_keys.jpg  

Last edited by SchumiFan : 3rd October 2017 at 08:45.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:06   #362
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
BHPians, urgent question here. Please help. Kindly check the image and the car key in it.

I turned it this morning and the key broke off from the fob. It wouldn't start the car with just the key. But push that black thingy on to it, it started and stayed alive.

I was able to drive it from my friend's house to mine. I am not in town where the car was purchased. Car belongs to my sister.

This is not the first occurrence. Looks like the quality has gone for a toss on the Honda cars! Did not expect the key to break off from the fob.

I would suggest not to take a risk on a long journey. Better courier the spare key and use it to drive down the car.
searacer932 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 21:55   #363
BHPian

Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
BHPians, urgent question here. Please help.

Car is perfectly fine to drive . Just remember every time you start it to hold the plastic immobiliser and the metal key connected together .

It is not that the quality is gone for a toss but the plastic tends to break after a few years of use . Recently happened to someone else I know and also it depends on your usage .

If you are careful it stays fine if you are slightly hard heavy user and you drop the keys a lot it cracks.

Order a new key fob from Amazon India, take the immobiliser parts and buttons from this old key plastic and put it into new fob and go to a local key replicator and get the new metal fob part engraved like the old key.

Viola problem solved. 400 for keyfob and 600 for engraving coding labour .

New key from Honda India costs 10000 just fyi.

Last edited by M00M : 3rd October 2017 at 21:58.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:15   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Car is perfectly fine to drive . Just remember every time you start it to hold the plastic immobiliser and the metal key connected together .

Viola problem solved. 400 for keyfob and 600 for engraving coding labour .

New key from Honda India costs 10000 just fyi.
Thank you very much for the detailed post. I was afraid after reading stories of some Chevy car's ignition turning off by itself when hitting a bump. If this thing stopped in the middle of the trip, it would have been disastrous.

But I saw a video in YouTube where a person shows the same way to start the car in case of a broken fob. Reading your post gives me confidence.

Rs. 10000 for a key fob sounds atrocious. I'll see if I can do the Amazon route. Thank you giving me that info as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
This is not the first occurrence. Looks like the quality has gone for a toss on the Honda cars! Did not expect the key to break off from the fob.

I would suggest not to take a risk on a long journey. Better courier the spare key and use it to drive down the car.
To be frank, I have sat on it multiple times after keeping it in the back pocket and I just got to know from my sister that the driver had fixed it with glue already since it has come off once before.

My sister has couriered the replacement key. So I am covered for tomorrow's trip. Thinking that Keyless start buttons will be way better and should be the way to go. Just remember not to leave the fob inside the car

Last edited by SchumiFan : 3rd October 2017 at 22:18.
Old 4th October 2017, 23:41   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Rs. 10000 for a key fob sounds atrocious. I'll see if I can do the Amazon route. Thank you giving me that info as well.
Enquired from Honda a few weeks back. Was quoted approx 5k for a new key for the Brio including taxes. Not sure where the 10k is coming from. Aftermarket guys quoting 1500 in total. Yet to decide which way to go. The keyfob is damaged but not broken off.
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 12:35   #366
BANNED

I have had a Brio AT for over five years. Was the first Brio AT in Kanpur. I think I need access to the flasher. It is working fine, but more often than not there is no clicking. I am told I may just need to clean the contacts. Where is it situated, and the best way of accessing it.
Old 12th April 2018, 11:54   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

With the new Amaze round the corner, any idea if Brio is also due for a facelift? I'm looking for an automatic hatchback but in a dilemma should I go for an AMT or not after reading so many issues with AMT. A Brio with new face would be lovely. I don't like the current face of Brio, moreover it's nearly 6 year old design. Needs a refresh fast.
Old 12th April 2018, 20:07   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
With the new Amaze round the corner, any idea if Brio is also due for a facelift?
I doubt that the Brio would get a facelift anytime soon, atleast in the next year or so.
The profile of the new Amaze might spawn an Ignis-que looking new vehicle which can be branded as a Brio in the future, but it might serve to be a replacement of the Jazz as Honda certainly would want to take it premium.

Next Generation Brio put on Hold

^^ Not sure how reliable this news is.

You are better off buying
1) The current Generation Brio. It is an excellent city runabout. We have one, , and have posted some photos. It is not, what you would call, VFM. Good scope for haggling.
2) The Current Jazz AT. Nice car overall, nothing to dislike except perhaps the 10L OTR price. Brio is about 2.2L cheaper.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 10:37   #369

Quote:
I have had a Brio AT for over five years. Was the first Brio AT in Kanpur. I think I need access to the flasher. It is working fine, but more often than not there is no clicking. I am told I may just need to clean the contacts. Where is it situated, and the best way of accessing it.
Hi Sir, I've been avidly following your posts on the forum. Reading the good ownership experiences on the forum for the Brio AT, I went ahead and got a fine pre-worshipped specimen for myself. The car is a late 2015 VX AT with ~26k on the odo. It went through its service record and found it to be comprehensive and the vehicle to be in top mechanical condition.
But I've noticed a couple of issues in the few weeks of my ownership:
1. The instrument cluster speaker is a hit or a miss (the turn indicator flasher and the seat belt reminder sounds work at their own will)
2. The a/c keeps tripping every 1-2 mins (works better while pressing the gas pedal). A little reading around makes me narrow it down to either the condensor fan not working properly or there being low refrigerant in the system.
3. Jerky shifts with a slightly heavy right foot.

I have not started to work on the buzzer issue and wanted to know if you have been able to successfully resolve this.
Further, while trying to diagnose the A/C problem, I saw that the Brio has two fans behind the radiator and both keep on tripping every 30 seconds or so. Shouldn't one fan keep moving for the condensor to function properly?
Lastly, do I need to be worried about the jerky shifts? I've checked the transmission fluid but it seems to be okay (although slightly low level at high temperatures). What is the fluid change interval and would you recommend any other maintenance tips for the torque converter unit?

Thanks,
Angad
Old 1st June 2019, 17:57   #370
BHPian

My brio turned 5 today with 59370kms on the odo.It crossed 50k in 3 years itself . Nowadays it's mainly used to go to the grocers hence the low mileage.Ownership report coming soon.
Old 1st June 2019, 20:09   #371
BANNED

Quote:
I am told that the whole display has to be changed. So goodbye fix, I can (or rather have to) live with it. Such is life.
Old 2nd September 2019, 22:05   #372
BHPian

Hi folks,
Just wondering if it's worthwhile buying a Brio automatic at Bangalore or go for a new car.
My requirement is a compact car with auto tranny. The brio fits in perfectly. The car will only be used in the city and boot space is not a concern at all.
A new car means I'll have to settle with one of the AMT hatches, which is kinda holding me back from booking one.
Since the Brio is out of production, I looked up the used car market and have zeroed in on a 2017 facelifted version with 22k on the odo. The asking price is around 5.7lacs.

So just repeating the question,
Is it worthwhile? As it's out of production
Is there anything particular to look out for at this age - 2.5yrs and 22k?

Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 23:45   #373
BHPian

Parts not an issue, lots of part sharing from other models, you can also order spares online.

Price on higher side.

Obviously, you will save on tax, which is highest in BLR for a new car.
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:33   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post

Thanks
It is a good option, though of course, you can always negotiate a bit on the asking price.

As for mechanical issues, there are none whatsoever on my 7 year old Brio. The car runs perfectly with the basic annual service, and continues to be eminently checkable and a perfect fit for Bangalore traffic. It has a very reliable engine and sound mechanicals, resulting in an ideal in-city commuter if your space or boot requirements are not too high. As a bonus, the car is pretty peppy and it has a good power to weight ratio, thus ensuring lots of smiles per mile. However, mine is the manual version, though I have not heard of anyone driving the automatic to have had any issues with the auto transmission.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 3rd September 2019 at 09:35.
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:30   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post

Thanks
I have a BrioAT, been using it for 4 years now. Few thing to keep in mind
1. Extended warranty (if not already taken, you can buy it from Honda).
2. Keep the expectation of fuel efficiency in check. Bangalore traffic is not helpful.

For me the car has been good till now and AT really reduces stress from commute.
Power to weight ratio makes it fun to drive when traffic conditions permit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks