Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 16:28   #76
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

Yesterday I was at Landmark Honda showroom, SG Highway, to get extended warranty and zero depreciation insurance on my Brio. The guys were very busy making preparations for the deliveries starting today, Tuesday, the first day of Navratri. Somehow I managed to get hold of an SA who told me the expected pricing of AT would be approximately 60K to 70K over their manual versions. I wanted to see a demo car, but he said the launch is on 18th and they will get TD car a few days after that (I believe they had the car but did not want to disclose anything before the official launch).

He also said all the specifications/equipment levels remain the same. I am a bit disappointed by this. Brio is definitely under-equipped compared to its competitors. Honda should have grabbed this opportunity to fully equip the AT by adding things like ORVM blinkers, driver's seat height adjustment, rear wiper, bluetooth integrated music system, adjustable headrests, etc. With these additions, coupled with a 5-speed autobox and Honda reliability, Brio would have become an attractive option.
Old 16th October 2012, 16:58   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranavDesai View Post

He also said all the specifications/equipment levels remain the same. I am a bit disappointed by this. Brio is definitely under-equipped compared to its competitors. Honda should have grabbed this opportunity to fully equip the AT by adding things like ORVM blinkers, driver's seat height adjustment, rear wiper, bluetooth integrated music system, adjustable headrests, etc. With these additions, coupled with a 5-speed autobox and Honda reliability, Brio would have become an attractive option.
Brio AT is already a very attractive option in this segment (actually most attractive one as others dont even stand anywhere near as it has much better transmission than the i10 AT coupled with more powerful engine.) In terms of build quality also it is ahead of the i10. i10 has more features surely but it is still behind Brio in refinement, fuel economy, quality, cabin space, comfort etc.

Out of your wishlist only adjustable headrests would be a welcome change for me. BT and other cosmetic things you can get outside. Rear wiper is good to have but not a must have (I had it in my i10 but rarely ever used it, even here in Bangalore where it rains like forever). Seat height adjustment is also rarely used as such and probably is useful if multiple drivers share the car.

The one car that can give Brio AT run for its money would be Chevy Beat diesel AT if they can conjure it. Till then it will have a free run I think. We should see a fall in i10 AT sales but dont know if there would be any way to confirm that really.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:16   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Brio AT is already a very attractive option in this segment (actually most attractive one as others dont even stand anywhere near as it has much better transmission than the i10 AT coupled with more powerful engine.) In terms of build quality also it is ahead of the i10. i10 has more features surely but it is still behind Brio in refinement, fuel economy, quality, cabin space, comfort etc.

Out of your wishlist only adjustable headrests would be a welcome change for me. BT and other cosmetic things you can get outside. Rear wiper is good to have but not a must have (I had it in my i10 but rarely ever used it, even here in Bangalore where it rains like forever). Seat height adjustment is also rarely used as such and probably is useful if multiple drivers share the car.

The one car that can give Brio AT run for its money would be Chevy Beat diesel AT if they can conjure it. Till then it will have a free run I think. We should see a fall in i10 AT sales but dont know if there would be any way to confirm that really.
You are right. Certain things are used rarely and some can be obtained aftermarket, but having them from the company directly would give an impression of "complete package."

The Beat diesel AT is a good expectation. Let me tell you something about i10 AT experience. In March 2012 I visited Sharma Hyundai to look at Santro and i20. As I was talking to the SA there I noticed the i10 car on display was actually an AT. I casually asked him about automatics and he said "Sir AT is for oldies or handicapped if you want fun drive a manual.: Then he said: I can give you 20K discount if you want it ( and I hadn't even asked for i10 pricing, I was simply interested in either Santro or i20).

While I agree with manual-fun part, the former part of his logic is extremely idiotic. You will find many elders who are as enthusiastic about driving as younger ones. In today's crowded and chaotic traffic conditions, AT definitely helps, whether young or old.

If someone is a diehard Hyundai fan, he/she can expect nice discounts on i10/i20 ATs after Brio AT launch.
Old 16th October 2012, 18:25   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda manages to 2000+ Brio MT a month while Hyundai sells 7000+ i10 MTs every month. IMO the sale figures of i10 and Brio will be along similar lines. Brio may sell marginally more (within the 2:7 ratio) considering it may offer better FE (BTW the ARAI ratings are identical for both).
Old 16th October 2012, 19:16   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Honda manages to 2000+ Brio MT a month while Hyundai sells 7000+ i10 MTs every month. IMO the sale figures of i10 and Brio will be along similar lines. Brio may sell marginally more (within the 2:7 ratio) considering it may offer better FE (BTW the ARAI ratings are identical for both).
Actually i10 has stepped down quite a lot lately. When I bought mine (in 2009) it was doing around 12k a month and was comfortably among top 3 selling cars in India. Now its barely in 10 or not even there sometimes.

i10 has so many variants that helps achieve that 7k figure (over Brio). The starting variant costs lot less than Brio. Also Honda simply does not have reach of Hyundai! For example, In the city of Jhansi (population 1+ million) there is no Honda dealer! Nearest is in Gwalior (about 100 km away). But there are I think 2 Hyundai dealers! So more people will buy Hyundai cars (and very less will buy Hondas). My dad still bought the Brio there. He couldnt resist it.

Honda should work on extending their reach to maximize the potential of their cars.

Last edited by joslicx : 16th October 2012 at 19:17.
Old 17th October 2012, 09:20   #81
BANNED

@noopster; From my experience with the Santro AT (same box as the i10AT) 4th only comes in at >60kph. So useless in town. In the Brio you have D3 which is equivalent (2, 1 are mostly descent and climbing ratios). According to renuks D3 gives much better response in town, almost no lag. Thus only 4 is not accessible.

In town driving I think these ratios should be adequate. I should be able to comment more by early next month. Only point I will not comment much is the economy, let the engine run in a bit.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually i10 has stepped down quite a lot lately. When I bought mine (in 2009) it was doing around 12k a month and was comfortably among top 3 selling cars in India. Now its barely in 10 or not even there sometimes.

i10 has so many variants that helps achieve that 7k figure (over Brio). The starting variant costs lot less than Brio. Also Honda simply does not have reach of Hyundai! For example, In the city of Jhansi (population 1+ million) there is no Honda dealer! Nearest is in Gwalior (about 100 km away). But there are I think 2 Hyundai dealers! So more people will buy Hyundai cars (and very less will buy Hondas). My dad still bought the Brio there. He couldnt resist it.

Honda should work on extending their reach to maximize the potential of their cars.
@joslicx, almost all petrol only variants are suffering, except the cheaper ones at the beginning or crest of their life-cycle. Indian market is dangerously tilting towards diesel cars (even you could not give up the temptation).

Despite most your observations (like the number of dealers/ variants, etc.) being correct, many people will be inclined to buy the Brio (Honda badge). IMO in the long run the Brio car may take time to catch up with i10 (for the reasons you have quoted), though the Brio Auto will definitely sell more than i10 Auto on merit basis.
Old 17th October 2012, 15:26   #83
BANNED

Honda have messed up big time. Many dealerships shall be getting sales units before demo units. Seems their world is getting limited to Delhi and few other metros.
Old 17th October 2012, 15:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

^^^ But Sir, most people going for the auto won't care for the test drive. Even you haven't had a test drive yet to check whether it fits your requirement, & are putting the money on the car as it's got the better gear box & want to replace your older car.

I believe most autos sell this way only.
Old 17th October 2012, 17:01   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
^^^ But Sir, most people going for the auto won't care for the test drive. Even you haven't had a test drive yet to check whether it fits your requirement, & are putting the money on the car as it's got the better gear box & want to replace your older car.

I believe most autos sell this way only.
Why you say so? IMHO, a proper TD is important, irrespective of whether the car is MT or AT. I agree with Sgiitk. Probably a case of over-confidence (from Honda).
Old 17th October 2012, 17:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Why you say so? IMHO, a proper TD is important, irrespective of whether the car is MT or AT. I agree with Sgiitk. Probably a case of over-confidence (from Honda).
I am talking about the behavior of general public, not of the auto enthusiasts, who can even buy a market dud if they like the car.

latest example - my friend was looking for a small petrol car around Rs.5 Lacs. I suggested him Brio as 1st Option, & i10 & Swift as the other ones, & also the Beat diesel. He booked the Brio without a test drive... despite me emphasizing him to go for test drive. What would you call this behavior?

Last edited by CARDEEP : 17th October 2012 at 17:30.
Old 17th October 2012, 19:44   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am talking about the behavior of general public, not of the auto enthusiasts, who can even buy a market dud if they like the car.

latest example - my friend was looking for a small petrol car around Rs.5 Lacs. I suggested him Brio as 1st Option, & i10 & Swift as the other ones, & also the Beat diesel. He booked the Brio without a test drive... despite me emphasizing him to go for test drive. What would you call this behavior?
Blind faith or herd mentality.
Even I had to book my i10 AT without a TD - as none of the 4 Hyundai dealerships in Kolkata had an AT TD vehicle.
Old 17th October 2012, 20:42   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I agree with that bit. But those folks will normally go either with the volume seller, or a brand which they consider as premium. Anyway, in this case I guess your friend's choice is a good one

In my opinion, folks who go for something like Brio AT should definitely try the car before they put in the money, especially since AT is still a bit of a novelty in this segment, especially for those who shift from a regular MT.
Old 17th October 2012, 21:09   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Honda have messed up big time. Many dealerships shall be getting sales units before demo units. Seems their world is getting limited to Delhi and few other metros.

I am most probably going to book the car tomorrow (S-O-AT -Urban Titanium) and send my Dad over to pay the advance of 50K tomorrow. He is going to have demo cars in the showroom by tomorrow, not sure about the TD cars though.

One Question : I asked him what would be the cancellation charges if for some undue reason it happened to occur. He was vague on that reply and was saying some deduction would occur equivalent to Insurance Amount for the car. But I'm not very clear on this approach.

Is this true? What happens when I pay the advance amount but fall through the deal later? What action can/do i take? Am I entitled for a full refund?

Also, I was looking to fit the Arm-Rest, as an aftermarket fit immediately, since I am sure I need it in an Automatic car. Does anyone know where it can be obtained in Mumbai(esp.Western Suburbs?)

It is called as Queen ArmRest and saw a person fitted in his Brio on the Automotive India Forum and it looks spectacular.

Something similar to this:
http://shop.cardekho.com/styling/arm...ift~10886.html

Last edited by Fraz33r : 17th October 2012 at 21:10. Reason: Added content
Old 18th October 2012, 13:37   #90
BHPian

"The Honda Brio S (O) AT is priced at Rs 5.74 lakh while the top-of-the-line V AT comes at Rs 5.99-lakh (all prices are ex-showroom, Delhi). These prices are approximately Rs 75,000 more than their corresponding manual transmission variants. Brio has also introduced a new EX MT variant in the manual transmission line-up, details of which will be revealed soon."

Source http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...5-74-lakh/3136
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks