Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2012, 20:57   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

It's very tough to decide between the Brio & i10 MT. Both are extremely competent, intelligently packaged hatchbacks. However, when it comes to the AT, I gotta hand it to the Brio. One, the City's 5 speed gearbox is awesome. Can only imagine what it does in this hatchback, two segments lower! Second, there are too many complaints on the i10 AT's mileage.

Thanks for reviewing the Brio AT, Anshuman. This report is very insightful, just like your threads always are. Rating it a fully deserved 5 stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Honda says that the scooped diesel engine will not be offered in the Brio.
I don't buy that. If they want volumes, and Honda certainly does, the Brio will definitely come with a diesel engine. It's not going to cost them anything to offer it in the hatchback (over and above the sedan) either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
I did read somewhere Honda has bitten the bullet and is working on diesel engines
Haven't you seen this video

GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 21:08   #17
BHPian

Excellent review Anshuman. I am looking to buy an automatic next year and Brio will be the ideal car, unless Ford decides to bring their 1.0L ecoboost with their DCT. That would be a killer.
Old 11th October 2012, 21:13   #18
BHPian

Haha GTO. "Diesel hain bus kya yaar!" :P
If this is the clatter which would be there in the diesel version we buy IMO its not acceptable. Other diesel hatches in the market are more silent than this as far as my knowledge goes. Honda should look into it.
Old 11th October 2012, 21:23   #19
BHPian

If I were to go in for an automatic hatch then my choice would be the brio over the i10 or i20. I don't think Hyundai can even come close to the quality and reliability of a Honda(no offense to the Hyundai owners!).

I own a 2008 accord AT and it's simply a breeze to drive around in that car feels like your driving a wide hatch!! But due to the huge engine it returns a pathetic mileage but it's fine for such a huge car. For my use of about 40-45km a day I am stuck with a diesel hatch back.

Wish Honda comes up soon with a diesel and launches an AT hatch am sure there are a lot of us who would jump to make the bookings even without a TD!!
zwift1819 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 22:06   #20
BANNED

Good review anshuman. I may add that the i10, i20 and Dzire eCS have not even a proper four speed but a 3+1 gearbox. The +1 or OD is not fully integrated. i10 is the same as was there on the Santro, i.e. ancient. What foxes me is the Dzire, since Maruti does have a proper four speed on the AStar.

While this should do 12kpl or so in town The Santro has never done even 11, and as for the i10 it is probably worse. i20 due to the 1.4 Gamma engine does only 8 or so. Hyundai does not even offer an extended service pack on this (shows their faith in the car), and are charging about 1.75l premium.

I am waiting for a call from the local GM Sales to book my V AT.

Honda should be on to a real winner!

I only wish the silly Instant kpl bargraph was not there. Saw/faced it on a friend's Jazz and took instant dislike to it, esp. since the Eco light is there.

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th October 2012 at 22:14. Reason: Last line added
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 22:19   #21
BHPian

Awesome work on the review of this most awaited AT in the hatchback segment. I was eagerly waiting for its launch. Would definitely take it for a spin and report my impressions of this tiny AT. Cheers!!
Old 11th October 2012, 22:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
the Indian version gets a traditional 5-speed torque converter unit. This gearbox is the same as that of the Honda City
Does the gear box come with the Torque Converter Lock that is present in the Honda City?
Old 11th October 2012, 22:40   #23
BHPian

Excellent review.

Thinking of buying this for my wife. Only point that bothers me "unsettled ride quality on irregular roads". The road near my house is really bad, and it doesn't look like it will improve any time soon.

Will probably leave the decision to wifey!

Quote:
It's only when you start driving with medium accelerator inputs that you start discovering the gearbox' shortcomings. With the accelerator pressed halfway, the otherwise well-sorted transmission ends up feeling puzzled. You'll frequently find it revving the engine by holding onto a gear unnecessarily, or upshifting when the same isn't required. I had to make the Brio AT upshift at times by releasing the accelerator pedal and, conversely, pressing it a little harder to drop a gear.

The Brio AT felt perfectly at home cruising on the Greater Noida Expressway at 100 kph. The engine was spinning at a relaxed 2,100 rpm, with the car feeling perfectly planted. 5th gear is a lot taller than on the Brio MT which sees 100 kph @ 3,000 rpm. Highway fuel economy should be satisfactory. Just like the Brio MT, the AT's top speed is electronically limited to 140 kph. When cruising on the highway, I missed paddle shifters the most, as I couldn't figure out a way to accelerate in the same gear; even the slightest pedal pressure makes the gearbox drop a gear, when it could very well have accelerated in the same gear.
How bad is the "shortcoming" while driving with medium accelerator?
My wife always drives with medium accelerator! Did you experience noticeable jerks/sudden acceleratoin or decelration?
Old 11th October 2012, 22:43   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Does the gear box come with the Torque Converter Lock that is present in the Honda City?
When it's the same gearbox there is no reason not to have the lock.

Also the lock is usually not for all gears. The Endeavour AT has the lock only for 5th and 4th I think.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 22:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Super review, Anshuman.

I love the fact that the hatchback segment is now seeing some good AT's on offer. A 5-speed AT on a tiny yet zippy car like the Brio is icing on the cake. I guess the Brio takes priority over the Jazz for Honda in India else a Jazz At would be super sweet!

The medium acceleration puzzling the gearbox issue may not trouble someone who uses it as a city vehicle. But a manual override (or a simple S mode) would have gone a long way in making it more fun to drive. These days I am driving almost exclusively in tiptronic mode on the Vento on my daily commute which has some nice twisting village roads.

But for sheer convenience, a little Brio with AT is just fantastic. I predict decent sales!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 22:51   #26
BHPian

Thanks for the review Anshuman. I own an i10 AT and its nice to see Honda launch an automatic in this category with 5 speed gear box. I get mileage of 11kmpl with i10 (though most of them claim only 9 to 10kmpl) and am curious to know Brio AT mileage in real conditions.

Two things, as mentioned by you, which are a necessity is missing in Brio AT
- Dead pedal
- Gear modes aren't illuminated at night
Honda, how tough is it to provide these two features?
Old 11th October 2012, 23:06   #27
BHPian

Excellent Review. Does not understand the Logic of Honda of not offering the Auto on Jazz. An auto jazz will make the best AT under 10 Lakhs in India. or hopefully the rumored next version jazz will have AT.
Old 11th October 2012, 23:15   #28
BHPian

Most awaited review for me, thanks anshuman for a fantastic review. Very disappointed to see that still there is no rear washer, wiper and defogger. Very bad elimination from Honda . But still very desirable product from Honda.
Old 12th October 2012, 00:08   #29
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda says that the scooped diesel engine (link) will not be offered in the Brio. It's being readied for the Brio-based sub-4 meter sedan coming next year.
Had earlier read reports that its going to come in March 2013 but an hour back i was watching the Autocar Show where Hormazd Sorabjee mentioned that the Brio diesel will take much longer than expected. Also Brio based sedan will have slightly longer wheelbase than the Brio hatch!
Old 12th October 2012, 00:15   #30
Team-BHP Support

Nice! Looks like the ideal upgrade for my parents - from the WagonR. Only negative is the that the rear is still the ugliest in the market. But choosing black should solve that problem.

How good is the driving position and ease of entry/exit for the elderly? Also - how good is view and the ease of driving compared to a small car like the WagonR?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks