Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 00:42   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
Nice! Looks like the ideal upgrade for my parents - from the WagonR. Only negative is the that the rear is still the ugliest in the market. But choosing black should solve that problem.

How good is the driving position and ease of entry/exit for the elderly? Also - how good is view and the ease of driving compared to a small car like the WagonR?
I second that... Even I am looking at Brio AT from my parents primary vehicle perspective and any expert/informed opinions on how good it is for the elderly to get in/out of it, go around the town and most importantly "back" friendliness, would be really appreciated.
sankdadevil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 02:00   #32
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

Thanks Anshuman for a great review!

I am currently in queue, for an AT hatch for parents, and my guess is this will be an ideal "stress-free commuting" vehicle in Mumbai traffic which is what I am looking forward for my parents to do with Brio.

Do you think that the car should replace the stock tyres in any case? How is it going to affect since I dont expect them to do any sort of spirited driving.

I am constantly in touch with the Solitaire guys in Borivali and will mostly be booking the S AT (O). Unfortunately since I am not in India right now; I will have to put a blind faith on this decision as @blackasta did with his i10. This review definately helps and will keep everyone updated as to how this process goes.

Any sneaky updates on the price list would have been great.

BTW; Did any of the Brio owners try the DIY Defogger OR a DIY wiper?

http://www.frostfighter.com/prt2600.htm
Old 12th October 2012, 06:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review indeed - covered all points very well. Hope this takes Brio to the next level and it displaces some Swift buyers

Kudos to Honda for coming up with a 5-speed auto!
Old 12th October 2012, 09:48   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The Brio V MT and S(O) MT are offered for near 50k discount in Mumbai. Wonder if the AT will offer the same.
Isn't it too early to expect discounts, even before the car is launched. Possibly after the initial demand fades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevskartha View Post
Oh my, I think Honda is missing a point here. A Diesel Brio would have been a very, very tempting offer in our market. Guess that is not going to happen
They want to start their Diesel offerings by made for India Brio Sedan. Others will get the Diesel after Brio Sedan, but only at the time of Model change either Major refresh or new gen car.

Bigger cars like CRV and Accord will not Diesel engines for India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Just one query - the MT Brio's suspension seemed quite bouncy on both of my colleagues' Brio(s). Have done multiple drives, after due checking of the air-pressure, still the car feels bouncy (not sure if it is a documented aspect on the Brio thread). Have Honda done anything different for the AT Brio or is it still the same?
AT version's ride is identical to it's MT twin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
AT is quite ideal in these small city cars and I won't be surprised if the competition will soon follow this route.
Hopefully with a Diesel AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Excellent review Anshuman. I am looking to buy an automatic next year and Brio will be the ideal car, unless Ford decides to bring their 1.0L ecoboost with their DCT. That would be a killer.
This combo might be offered in Ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
If this is the clatter which would be there in the diesel version we buy IMO its not acceptable. Other diesel hatches in the market are more silent than this as far as my knowledge goes. Honda should look into it.
We cannot judge the sound level just through seeing a Video on a PC, lower the volume it will sound quieter, adjust the tone and it might sound sweeter. Please wait to experience the car in person before comparing it to anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Excellent Review. Does not understand the Logic of Honda of not offering the Auto on Jazz. An auto jazz will make the best AT under 10 Lakhs in India. or hopefully the rumored next version jazz will have AT.
1. Jazz is a very expensive car to manufacture.
2. Honda is not making much profit per car, thus limiting supply.
3. It's already at the end of lifecycle.

Next gen Jazz might get Diesel and AT options but that car still far far away.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th August 2014 at 10:37. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 10:11   #35
Team-BHP Support

We are seriously considering Brio AT as a city runabout. Our family will then become a Honda family - a Civc, a City and then a Brio!

Now will all Brio AT cars have the Love-O-Matic sticker on the side?
Old 12th October 2012, 10:21   #36
BHPian

Excellent review anshuman. It cant get any better than this.

I think this product could be a major turning-point as far as Indian automotive industry is concerned. If this product succeeds then there will be many OEM's launching an AT version for their product.

All the very best Honda, hope this one sets the sales chart on fire.
Old 12th October 2012, 10:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankdadevil View Post
any expert/informed opinions on how good it is for the elderly to get in/out of it, go around the town and most importantly "back" friendliness, would be really appreciated.
My "informed" opinion based on my own ownership is - it is NOT as easy to get in/out as tall boys like i10, WagonR would be! You have to "sit in" the car rather than "walk in". And also you feel like sitting way down on the drivers seat compared to say the i10. Still I wouldnt say that should be a deal breaker. My parents are currently driving the Brio and are absolutely happy with it.

go around town and back friendliness is "best in class" simply put, although I have not tested the Totota Etios hatch for it yet. Amongst the ATs (A*, i10, Santro) it is the best!

And while we are on this AT subject, how about Toyota putting a capable AT unit (maybe from its Altis) into the Etios sedan and hatch in the Diesel models!!! Wouldnt that be a turnaround for them (Ok this might be OTT here on Brio thread and mods can move it to appropriate thread if they feel so).

Last edited by joslicx : 12th October 2012 at 10:45.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 11:07   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
No, the stickers are just for Media Test drive cars, maybe for Showroom TD cars too.
Old 12th October 2012, 11:27   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Thinking of buying this for my wife. Only point that bothers me "unsettled ride quality on irregular roads". The road near my house is really bad, and it doesn't look like it will improve any time soon.
All Hondas come with a stiffer suspension (incl my Civic) but nothing you do not get used to. You cannot get excellent road manners with a soft suspension.

As for medium throttle my experience is that the TC smooths out a lot, and also if the road speed is higher than the engine speeds, then all ATs freewheel. This is why you need the ratios where you get engine braking for hill driving.

If you ask for a double or treble downshift then as I say the AT pauses for a second to gather its skirts and then runs! True for almost all.
Old 12th October 2012, 11:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

They want to start their Diesel offerings by made for India Brio Hatchback. Others will get the Diesel after Brio Sedan, but only at the time of Model change either Major refresh or new gen car.
A friend who was present for this media drive was telling me about what Honda mentioned on their India plans.

Q2 2013 should see the Brio Sedan launch and most likely the diesel engine launch as well. Then there will be a new gen City & a new Jazz, an MPV and a mini SUV all on this new City platform.

Apparently the current gen city has not been engineered to be a diesel car, and Honda will not just plonk in a diesel as it will not meet Honda's standards, especially on the NVH front. So expect a City diesel only with the next gen City.

Anshuman.. any more insight since you were present at this drive.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 12th October 2012 at 11:42.
Old 12th October 2012, 11:45   #41
BHPian

Quote:

We cannot judge the sound level just through seeing a Video on a PC, lower the volume it will sound quieter, adjust the tone and it might sound sweeter. Please wait to experience the car in person before comparing it to anything else.
Thanks sir for disabusing me of my belief. You are right cent percent. I am definitely very eager to test drive a diesel Honda. Also a diesel in bigger Hondas like the accord and Civic would be more than welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
All Hondas come with a stiffer suspension (incl my Civic) but nothing you do not get used to. You cannot get excellent road manners with a soft suspension.
Please correct me if I am wrong Sir, but few months back when i read about a Civic being treated for its rear 'soft' suspension. As in the car stoops a lot at the rear when under a load of 3 passengers and even 2.
I was under the impression that Hondas are sprung usually on the softer side.
Also when I drove the NHC i found the suspension quite soft. At speeds beyond 80kmph the ride got quite choppy. Once again I might be under a wrong impression. Could someone throw some light on it.
Old 12th October 2012, 11:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review, i have a question.

Tried looking at pictures and read through the review but was not able to make out, Does the automatic comes with all four Disc brakes or Discs up front and Drums at the rear.

Considering its norm to have Discs all around at-least in automatics i am expecting that.
Old 12th October 2012, 12:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda says that the scooped diesel engine (link) will not be offered in the Brio. It's being readied for the Brio-based sub-4 meter sedan coming next year.
I hope Honda changes their mind (for Diesel engine in Brio) in a year similar to this launch of Brio AT.
Honda had stated during launch of Brio last year that Auto would not be considered/available for Brio.
Old 12th October 2012, 12:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
S(O) variant will have it in contrasting colour (white or black) and the higher priced V-variant will have it in body colour.

Last edited by Daewood : 12th October 2012 at 12:07.
Old 12th October 2012, 13:15   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Tried looking at pictures and read through the review but was not able to make out, Does the automatic comes with all four Disc brakes or Discs up front and Drums at the rear.
That's a good question. When I look at this picture at full size, I can clearly see the outline of the disc in the front wheel, but I can't see anything at the back. This indicates to me that even the AT Brio has discs in the front and drums in the back. But I'm not sure, a closer image could help.

Also, I feel the shade of red in the AT Brio is slightly darker than the red of the MT Brio in the original TBHP review. However, this might be due to lighting conditions too. @Anshuman, can you confirm?

Most Viewed