Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2012, 23:52   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Thats really disappointing and frankly a little befuddling. Brio has one of THE most powerful 1.2s out there and the only one with 5 speed. One can only presume that it has been tuned for maximum economy.

My mom has an i-10 auto and like I mentioned there, the transmission sucks the life out of the punchy and eager engine. I found that mashing the gas pedal sends the T/C into full unlock with the resulting revving and buzzing. Squeezing the throttle seems to yield better results

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html
Narain proved that brio is much faster and better than swift. No Arguments there
Old 28th October 2012, 00:08   #152
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

Was waiting from many months for this car to launch, took a TD last week and was totally disappointed. The front seats are too low and the brake pedal is pretty high. No Seat height adjustment on a 7+ Lakh Rupee car is a complete deal-breaker.
Hope the Brio based sedan has seat height adjust and easier ingress/egress at the rear.
Old 28th October 2012, 09:42   #153
BHPian

Also interesting are these test figures, in fact more telling than the 0-60, because these don't depend on launch technique and are more representative of the acceleration any driver would see by just pushing the throttle wide open. (I've rounded the figures up from x.xx to x.x format)

20-80km/h, in kickdown:
  • i10 AT: 8.1 seconds
  • Brio AT: 8.4 seconds
40-100km/h, in kickdown:
  • i10 AT: 12.0 seconds
  • Brio AT: 12.4 seconds
clearly, the Brio AT is a poorer accelerating car than the i10 AT, at all speeds from 20km/h to 100km/h. Since I already find the i10 AT unacceptably sluggish, the brio AT does not look attractive anymore.

The only hope is that in actual driving, it demonstrates much greater transmission and torque converter refinement than the i10 AT. That, combined with greater comfort for tall drivers (the i10 AT's high pedal and inadequate seat travel is torture on tall people).
Old 28th October 2012, 09:58   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr

Narain proved that brio is much faster and better than swift. No Arguments there
He meant the automatic. That the manual is quicker than most hatches and even many sedans is beyond doubt.
Old 28th October 2012, 14:22   #155
Team-BHP Support

Drove the AT two days back, and was highly impressed. I'm no regular AT user and hence no comparison with i10.

1. Superb refinement. Can't hear engine. Shifts are smooth as well. This was under normal city driving. No acceleration runs.

2. Effortless city drive. Controls are light and fall right into place.

3. Rear entry is a bit tight for my height. Banged my head while trying to sit at the rear.

4. Rear headroom is not sufficient as well. Legroom was good.

In all- I really want to purchase this for parents. Will wait till the discounts are applicable to AT models too.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 04:51   #156
BHPian

Need some information from anyone: (Did check in the accessories required thread but wasn't satisfied with answers)

How important is it to get the anti-rust treatment done from the dealer for a new car?

Reason being: I drive a car in US, which faces the worst weather in terms of salts deposited, and i have not seen anyone doing it.Is it advisable? or is just one of the "Scam" of making money by the dealer?
Old 30th October 2012, 07:21   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Need some information from anyone: (Did check in the accessories required thread but wasn't satisfied with answers)

How important is it to get the anti-rust treatment done from the dealer for a new car?

Reason being: I drive a car in US, which faces the worst weather in terms of salts deposited, and i have not seen anyone doing it.Is it advisable? or is just one of the "Scam" of making money by the dealer?
Absolutely not neessary, esp for premium cars like Honda. For my vw, the 3M person even advised against it.

For your Tatas and Marutis and like, I am not sure if I can say that so convincingly. I'd just still get it done, just to be safe. So both my alto as well as i10 had underbody treatment done.

Last edited by joslicx : 30th October 2012 at 07:23.
Old 30th October 2012, 09:59   #158
BANNED

@Fraz33; Forget the Anti-rust (just a way of making money) unless you are on the sea face. If so then look for something like Dinitrol.

As for accessories Honda have a Mode package which is what I am getting (minus the handle chrome) and adding the 5th alloy and reverse sensors (this is in additional accessories). My car was supposed to be delivered yesterday, now it is still in transit with the delivery either today evening, or tomorrow morning!

None of the accessories are in-stock but have been promised the lot at the first checkup (1 month).

Last edited by sgiitk : 30th October 2012 at 10:00.
Old 30th October 2012, 10:38   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Fraz33; Forget the Anti-rust (just a way of making money) unless you are on the sea face. If so then look for something like Dinitrol.

As for accessories Honda have a Mode package which is what I am getting (minus the handle chrome) and adding the 5th alloy and reverse sensors (this is in additional accessories). My car was supposed to be delivered yesterday, now it is still in transit with the delivery either today evening, or tomorrow morning!

None of the accessories are in-stock but have been promised the lot at the first checkup (1 month).
Congratulations Sir. That would probably be the first Brio AT on this forum. Very much awaited I'd presume. Did you go for V AT or S AT ?

Mind telling what all is there in Mode package? How much does it cost and is it possible to get the contents from outside (not Honda OEMs necessarily)?
Old 30th October 2012, 10:53   #160
BANNED

The mode package includes: Chrome Door Protector, Corner Protector (Front & Rear, the latter misnamed Chrome Protector), Side Step Illuminated Garnish, Rear Cargo Protector and mats. I have not taken the first and the last is part of the package. I have added a fifth alloy and the Reversing Sensors to the package. Total cost is about 29k. There is also an Active Package. I have gone for the V AT. The car is about 30km from Kanpur on the NH2, so may be delivered today evening or tomorrow morning.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 16:11   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The mode package includes: Chrome Door Protector, Corner Protector (Front & Rear, the latter misnamed Chrome Protector), Side Step Illuminated Garnish, Rear Cargo Protector and mats. I have not taken the first and the last is part of the package. I have added a fifth alloy and the Reversing Sensors to the package. Total cost is about 29k. There is also an Active Package. I have gone for the V AT. The car is about 30km from Kanpur on the NH2, so may be delivered today evening or tomorrow morning.
Congratulations Professor ! Looks like yours will be the first Brio AT on the forum. I am eager to get one for my better half as she has an inclination only towards automatics. Which color have you gone in for ? Is it the same as that of your Civic ? Also, curious to know why you have gone in for an additional alloy wheel for the spare. I know this holds good for your Civic too. Apart from a 5 tire rotation pattern one can follow, is there any other benefit in going in for the 5th alloy?

Please do post pics and a detailed review of the car once you get it. Wishing you all the best with the new baby !
Old 30th October 2012, 21:23   #162
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback sgiitk; My car is currently in the registration, and most probably day after tomorrow is the delivery date.

I met with the Sales guy, and was finalizing accessories and got some weird piece of information;

I asked him what is the process for registration, he said the car is in the yard in Vasai and as soon as it is registered, it will be in the showroom(since octroi needs to be paid). However, I was just checking his lot and found two VAT's sitting there with a temp reg plate on it (both being the same) one was Silver(which i presume is mine and the other an UT, which got booked prior to me by someone in their own management).

Unfortunately, I was not able to capture the VIN of that car and hence could/would not confirm if that was mine. Might try to take a look tomorrow as well. Just want to make sure my car is not given for a TD.

My best guess is, he is not aware of what he is talking about, can anyone through some light on the octroi process.

FYI, the active and mode package looks like this;

Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review-capture.jpg
Old 30th October 2012, 22:15   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
can anyone through some light on the octroi process.

Attachment 1007999
Fraz33r, octroi is paid as the truck enters the municipal limits. Most dealers have octroi agents who manage this process. So tax is paid by them, truck proceeds with papers and tax amount settled on a weekly / monthly basis with agent as agreed.

Hope this helps.

Nikhil
nsbhagwat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 09:46   #164
BANNED

Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

I picked up my car last evening. The car arrived at the workshop in early afternoon, and I got a call at 4:00pm from the Sales Manager. So went and picked it up at about 6:30pm.

Given the interest in the Brio AT I am posting this. Pictures are also now posted.

These are my initial observations:

The OTR price was about Rs.650k incl a corporate discount, and 50% NCB with Rs.7500 voluntary excess.

1. To clear some confusion the D3 setting has reverse braking, as do the fixed ratios of 2 and 1. The manual very explicitly mentions, engine braking, more engine braking and even more engine braking.

2. The 3 month service is no longer there . So 1 month check up, and then 6 months and every six months. Oil change 10,000 or 6 months. Now oil must be API-SM (was SL for the Civic), and SAE20 is also kosher. Had to be 30 for the Civic. The oil looks like a syntehtic (very low viscosity, and nearly clear colour).

3. The engine is Over Square (bore 73mm, stroke 71.6mm) and hence has the normal characteristic of such engines, high revving (Red line seems ot be about 6700) and poor torque at low speeds.

4. After being used to hung parcel shelves (Zen and Santro) it will take some getting used to a shelf which has to be rotated out of the way, esp. since the boot opening is small a the top.

5. I find the suspension a bit stiffer, and will have to learn to be a bit softer on IITK speed bumps. The steering though somewhat over servoed in my view is very precise. I am sure my wife will love it.

The manual covering only the Thai and Indian models is much easier to decipher than the near Universal one with the Civic. I found a couple of errors already:

1. The manual talks of no need to press the release button for movement from R to N, N to D and D to D3. The last is not true. To go to D3 you have to press the button.

2. Fog light bulb replacement seems to have been written for LHD vehicles. The rotation of steering required is opposite of what is specified, i.e. for passenger bulb, turn right and not left, etc.

Photograph Captions:

1. Three quarter view
2. Front Interior
3. Dash Panel
4. Engine cover with Brio AT on it ( still do not know how the MT and AT engines differ unless the gearbox mounts are different which is very unlikely)
5. Tyre placard. The car is shod with MRF ZVTVs. Someone has woodenly converted 2.0 bar to 29 psi against the more common 30. Note rear pressure is lower than the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review-img_1133.jpg  

Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review-img_1136.jpg  

Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review-img_1135.jpg  

Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review-img_1134.jpg  

Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review-img_1141.jpg  

sgiitk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:04   #165
BHPian

Congrats sgiitk;

Even I got my brio's delivery this morning. I was supposed to receive it yesterday, but due to some ups and downs at the RTO @andheri got it done late yesterday evening. Did not want to accept delivery late and hence opted for today morning and the car is home.

First Impression: Amazing. As you said steering is butter smooth and precise loved it.

Will put up a review soon with pics. Finally got the rear parcel tray and mats for free. As per him, there are no freebies on AT's from Honda since everyone wants to cash in the Diwali fever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks