Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 11:48   #136
BANNED

Re: Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
No, Zen was sold with the name 'Alto' only in the European countries. Nothing to do with the Suzuki Alto or our current or past Alto. Confusing on part of Suzuki to brand the Indian Zen as Alto in Europe.
It is not necessary that a new generation of any car shares any component of the previous car. Therefore the "Zen" qualifies as a generation of the Alto as it was sold under that name.

Quote:
There was no Alto K10 in Japan.
Does not matter. As long as it was sold somewhere under that name. And the K10 shares the body of the Alto, so it's basically the same car with a different engine option. So again it qualifies.

Quote:
The Zen Estilo had only one thing common with the older Zen - The Name! Most of the stuff were borrowed from Wagon-R.
So in any case it has nothing to do with the Alto. We are after all discussing the Alto.

Quote:
Ah, did I mention that the Suzuki Cultus which was sold as Suzuki Swift in many parts of world was actually our age old Maruti Esteem. I am already confused by now!
AFAIK the Cultus was the sedan version with AWD. The Swift was the hatchback version of our Esteem. So basically the Esteem is the Cultus without the AWD or the Swift with the boot.
Old 5th May 2014, 12:33   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
It is not necessary that a new generation of any car shares any component of the previous car. Therefore the "Zen" qualifies as a generation of the Alto as it was sold under that name.
Agree. But then what was Cervo Mode?

Quote:
Does not matter. As long as it was sold somewhere under that name. And the K10 shares the body of the Alto, so it's basically the same car with a different engine option. So again it qualifies.
No, the K10 is not just another engine option in an Alto. The K10 is full 125mm longer than the Alto (!!) with redesigned front & rear ends and a larger & longer engine bay to accommodate the K series engine. Also the instrument panel is different. The gear shift is cable operated and the suspension is retuned to take on the additional load of the heavier car. The tyre is upsized too.

Quote:
AFAIK the Cultus was the sedan version with AWD. The Swift was the hatchback version of our Esteem. So basically the Esteem is the Cultus without the AWD or the Swift with the boot.
Our Esteem (or Maruti 1000 previously) was the Suzuki Swift world wide but Suzuki Cultus in the Japanese home market. Going by your own logic of being sold under the name, the Suzuki Cultus was sold as Suzuki Swift world wide during the 90s. The hatchback Swift was also manufactured & sold in Japan but only after year 2K. But the name 'Swift' was there in business since much before.

My point is that for arguments sake, we may consider all the above cars to be an Alto (except of course the Cultus/ Swift) but that is the marketing point of view; since many cars were sold with different name plates (with existing Suzuki family cars which were entirely different) across the world. The evolution lines have been different and hence they were technically vastly different too. Not an isolated case with Suzuki but many other manufacturers like Fiat/ Honda/ Tata. If you choose to go by only names, I can recall that the Tata Aria concept car, a super car showcased long back by Tata has nothing similar to the Aria we have now. Leave alone a super car, it is an SUV!
Old 5th May 2014, 22:17   #138
BANNED

Quote:
My point is that for arguments sake, we may consider all the above cars to be an Alto (except of course the Cultus/ Swift) but that is the marketing point of view; since many cars were sold with different name plates (with existing Suzuki family cars which were entirely different) across the world. The evolution lines have been different and hence they were technically vastly different too. Not an isolated case with Suzuki but many other manufacturers like Fiat/ Honda/ Tata. If you choose to go by only names, I can recall that the Tata Aria concept car, a super car showcased long back by Tata has nothing similar to the Aria we have now. Leave alone a super car, it is an SUV!
Not trying to argue with you. Was just trying to add something. Manufacturers like Suzuki, Honda, VW, Ford etc keep the same names for several generations and the 1st and present generation are totally different. Look at the 1 gen Civic or Golf.
Old 7th May 2014, 21:40   #139
BHPian

Quote:
No, Zen was sold with the name 'Alto' only in the European countries. Nothing to do with the Suzuki Alto or our current or past Alto. Confusing on part of Suzuki to brand the Indian Zen as Alto in Europe. The original car was Suzuki Cervo Mode (SS20) sold in Japan.
There was no Alto K10 in Japan. The Alto & 800 shared the same 3Cyl-796 cc driving unit, while the K10 had the K-series engine shared by the current Wagon-R & Estilo which displaced 998 CC by way of 3 Cylinders.

The Zen, which saw very minor changes in the entire 14 years of its existence, came throughout with a 1.0 litre engine; well 993 CC/ 4 Cylinder to be precise. Though some changes were made in the year 2000 in the wheel profile and some technical upgradations to comply with the Euro-II norms which included making use of an electronic fuel injection and 4 valves per cylinder, but the engine block remained the same for the entire period, even with the 2003 face-lifted Zen. The Zen Estilo had only one thing common with the older Zen - The Name! Most of the stuff were borrowed from Wagon-R.

But one thing is for sure that by selling so many cars with names borrowed/ interchanged within the Suzuki family of cars, that too from diverse segments, has confused the Indian buyers. Ah, did I mention that the Suzuki Cultus which was sold as Suzuki Swift in many parts of world was actually our age old Maruti Esteem. I am already confused by now!
I am a bit confused now. I always saw the Alto VX 1.1 (stopped I think in 2006) of India sold as Suzuki Alto in many European countries, not the Zen.
Now in certain European countries I get to see A-Star being sold as Alto.
However, Suzuki cars are very rare to be seen in European streets as compared to cars from Toyota, Chevvy, Honda, Ford and VW.

Last edited by subratasenn : 7th May 2014 at 21:42.
Old 15th August 2014, 14:03   #140
Senior - BHPian

Folks! Maruti Suzuki has rolled out yet another Limited Edition, now it's the Alto 800. This limited Edition offers benefits of INR 66,666/-.

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-marutialto800limitededition1024x779.jpg

Quote:
The hatchback comes with body decals and a roof mounted rear spoiler. Inside, the special edition car packs art leather seat covers, a Mulity music system with speaker and central locking with remote keyless entry.
Link: http://indianautosblog.com/2014/08/m...ampaign=buffer

Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 13:48   #141
Senior - BHPian

Folks! These are the pics of the Limited Edition Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 taken by me today at Vipul Motors Noida Sector 63. Not much of a change in the overall appearance, just some small add-on accessories like graphics, spoiler et al.

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-photo1791.jpg

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-photo1785.jpg

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-photo1786.jpg

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-photo1790.jpg

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-photo1784.jpg

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-photo1783.jpg

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-photo1787.jpg

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-photo1789.jpg

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 22:30   #142
BHPian

I want to replace the 2 spoke steering wheel of my Alto LXi with 3-spoke unit from Alto k10 or Alto 800. Suggest me their approximate costs involved & any other benefit they do than improving on looks & feel.
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:48   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
I am a bit confused now. I always saw the Alto VX 1.1 (stopped I think in 2006) of India sold as Suzuki Alto in many European countries, not the Zen.
Now in certain European countries I get to see A-Star being sold as Alto.
For Europe Maruti 800 including the SS80 were Alto. The Indian Zen was the Alto of the next generation. Subsequently the Alto, which was introduced in India in 1999/2000 was the European Alto till it was replaced by the A-Star, that too as an Alto.

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd January 2015 at 23:50.
Old 28th April 2015, 14:45   #144
BHPian

Hi,

I have booked the Alto 800 LXi. The dealer is charging me Rs. 1500 for left ORVM and Rs. 7000 for security system. Just wanted to check whether the prices quoted are fine or is the dealer overcharging me. Does anyone have a recent Maruti GA price list? The one available in team bhp is a bit dated.
Old 29th April 2015, 18:37   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
Hi,

I have booked the Alto 800 LXi. The dealer is charging me Rs. 1500 for left ORVM and Rs. 7000 for security system. Just wanted to check whether the prices quoted are fine or is the dealer overcharging me. Does anyone have a recent Maruti GA price list? The one available in team bhp is a bit dated.
ORVM price is OK but 7000 for a security system is a bit on the high side.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 23:39   #146
BHPian

Hi all,
My 10 month old Alto 800 vxi just underwent the 4th service at 18,000 kms. The problem I am facing is that when the car ignition is turned on I hear a hissing sound from rear left side for about 10 seconds. The first time it happened I thought something was wrong with the wheel but that wasn't the issue and it happens every time the ignition is turned on. Can someone please throw some light on this issue.

PS: Hissing sound isn't coming from the dashboard or engine bay or the AC vents. Tried searching for this issue but could only find posts related to hissing noise from dashboard or the engine bay.

MODS: Please delete if irrelevant to this thread.
Old 1st June 2015, 18:06   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1992 View Post
Hi all,
My 10 month old Alto 800 vxi just underwent the 4th service at 18,000 kms. The problem I am facing is that when the car ignition is turned on I hear a hissing sound from rear left side for about 10 seconds. The first time it happened I thought something was wrong with the wheel but that wasn't the issue and it happens every time the ignition is turned on. Can someone please throw some light on this issue.

PS: Hissing sound isn't coming from the dashboard or engine bay or the AC vents. Tried searching for this issue but could only find posts related to hissing noise from dashboard or the engine bay.

MODS: Please delete if irrelevant to this thread.
That should be the electric fuel pump. It turns on when ever the ignition is turned on and cuts off automatically.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 19:15   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
That should be the electric fuel pump. It turns on when ever the ignition is turned on and cuts off automatically.
Ok, now its clear as to why the sound seems to originate from the side where fuel lid is present. Thanks for helping me find the cause.
Does this usually happen post 20,000 kms (approx) as I never heard it before. (It appeared first time after the 4th service). Also can this be ignored or is it advisable to visit the service center?
Old 4th July 2015, 14:54   #149

Looking to have 2nd car. Changed a job recently and daily commute has goe up. 80 kms a day. I drive 1.6 sports fiat. Got offer of 3.3 lxi-cng alto 800.(has sonly player, 3m coating, underbody coating) and is 14 months old. 10k on the odo. Will be using nly in city. For long drives-only fiat!!

The main criteria is milage. Fiat give 13-15kmpl.

Other option i am thinking about is Jazz diesel. Will be at least 8 lakh on road for mid variant in my view.

Any suggestions?
Old 7th July 2015, 17:36   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranil7 View Post
Looking to have 2nd car. Changed a job recently and daily commute has goe up. 80 kms a day. I drive 1.6 sports fiat. Got offer of 3.3 lxi-cng alto 800.(has sonly player, 3m coating, underbody coating) and is 14 months old. 10k on the odo. Will be using nly in city. For long drives-only fiat!!

The main criteria is milage. Fiat give 13-15kmpl.

Other option i am thinking about is Jazz diesel. Will be at least 8 lakh on road for mid variant in my view.

Any suggestions?
My daily commute is 90Km per day and I use the Alto 800 CNG LXi. I just completed 5000Km within 2 months of my purchase. Its really a good city car. I have not faced any issues till date. You can go for it. You can also check out K10 CNG or Celerio CNG. At 80 Kms per day running, CNG is the most economical fuel.

During my second servicing of 5000 Km just 2 months after my purchase, the SA told me "Saar, gaadi ka bahut maaja lootte ho aap"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks