Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2015, 18:07   #151
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranil7 View Post
Looking to have 2nd car. Changed a job recently and daily commute has goe up. 80 kms a day. I drive 1.6 sports fiat. Got offer of 3.3 lxi-cng alto 800.(has sonly player, 3m coating, underbody coating) and is 14 months old. 10k on the odo. Will be using nly in city. For long drives-only fiat!!

The main criteria is milage. Fiat give 13-15kmpl.

Other option i am thinking about is Jazz diesel. Will be at least 8 lakh on road for mid variant in my view.

Any suggestions?
3.3L for a used alto is on the higher side I feel.
If you can extend your budget to 8-odd lakhs (for diesel Jazz) why go for Alto?
Old 11th August 2015, 19:12   #152
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Which accessories / modifications do you consider are the most important for an Alto 800?
I have added the following after market fitments to my Lxi:
a) LHS Mirror
b) Remote Locking system
c) Audio head unit, Speakers and Antenna
d) Full Mat, Seat Covers
e) Rear Spoiler
f) Sun film coating with 70% visibility
All of the above are Maruti Genuine Accessories.
Anything else can you suggest?

I have retained the stock headlight bulbs and horn, and I have kept the same tyres. I also had a dilemma on fitting a reversing horn to alert the road users, but decided against it, and just using the usual horn for the purpose.
Comments welcome.
@Mods, if this is not the right place to discuss this, please excuse and move accordingly.

Warm Regards!
Old 19th November 2015, 21:31   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti's new promotion for the Alto 800. It is now the central character in a TV show that airs on SAB TV called 'Chalti ka naam Gaadi'.

Quote:
Needless to say, the show is sponsored by Maruti Suzuki, and aims to educate consumers about road safety, car maintenance, and more through regular situation plots. This is not the first time Maruti Suzuki has tried such a promotion. In 2013, Maruti Suzuki became the first company to sponsor a Bollywood movie. Mere dad ki Maruti was India’s first advertiser funded film.
Source: Rushlane
Old 18th December 2015, 11:13   #154
BHPian

I am planning to get the Alto 800 as a 2nd car. I checked with 2 of the vendors in Bangalore and they are offering a 35000 discount on top of the corporate one. The price difference between the variants comes to around 12,000. This for a music system, LHS mirror, body color handles and a few other nit bits. The price for the Vxi comes to around 3.8 L.
This car will be 99.9% for the office<->home trips.
Will have a test drive tomorrow to confirm.
Old 18th December 2015, 11:28   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I am planning to get the Alto 800 as a 2nd car. I checked with 2 of the vendors in Bangalore and they are offering a 35000 discount on top of the corporate one. The price difference between the variants comes to around 12,000. This for a music system, LHS mirror, body color handles and a few other nit bits. The price for the Vxi comes to around 3.8 L.
This car will be 99.9% for the office<->home trips.
Will have a test drive tomorrow to confirm.
It is an easiest car to drive within the city (but hits the ceiling at 80 in highways with full load). However, 3.8L seems to be a bit on the higher side, given that there is now new competition from Kwid. Are they not offering any more discounts?
In 2014, I got same 35K discount for Lxi, it was not even December and there was no such new competition. Plus I got full mat and sunfilms as freebies. Please push for more. And please go for the Air bag version.
Old 18th December 2015, 11:41   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
It is an easiest car to drive within the city (but hits the ceiling at 80 in highways with full load). However, 3.8L seems to be a bit on the higher side, given that there is now new competition from Kwid. Are they not offering any more discounts?
In 2014, I got same 35K discount for Lxi, it was not even December and there was no such new competition. Plus I got full mat and sunfilms as freebies. Please push for more. And please go for the Air bag version.
Thanks. This is the initial quote from one of the vendors. The other dealer's quote was 5000 less. I am yet to discuss with them in detail which I will do when test driving tomorrow.

By the way, how are the mileage figures?

Last edited by aneezan : 18th December 2015 at 11:47.
Old 18th December 2015, 12:25   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Thanks. This is the initial quote from one of the vendors. The other dealer's quote was 5000 less. I am yet to discuss with them in detail which I will do when test driving tomorrow.

By the way, how are the mileage figures?
I am getting around 16 kmpl - My every day drive involves bumper to bumper traffic, completely within the city with AC on all the time.
When I go on highways, I am able to manage up to 18.5 kmpl. Again with AC on all the time, sedate 60 - 80 kmph driving in 5th gear.
I can see people give out unrealistic figures such as 22, 25 etc on various forums, but I have never managed to achieve such figures.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 13:31   #158
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting around 16 kmpl - My every day drive involves bumper to bumper traffic, completely within the city with AC on all the time.
When I go on highways, I am able to manage up to 18.5 kmpl. Again with AC on all the time, sedate 60 - 80 kmph driving in 5th gear.
I can see people give out unrealistic figures such as 22, 25 etc on various forums, but I have never managed to achieve such figures.
Coming from the prev gen Alto 800 myself, I can vouch for the figures you've mentioned. I used to get around 16 to 17kmpl in the city. On the highways, it was around 20, since the A/C usage was on and off depending on the temperature outside. Have never managed more than that.
I still regret selling it.
Old 2nd January 2016, 07:46   #159
BHPian

An insolent motorcyclist with all his motoring verve managed to shatter the right side ORVM of my Alto 800 yesterday. Took it to the MASS where the service advisor asked me to go for replacement of the whole ORVM assembly, which costs a dearly 1500 INR.

Ain't there a mirror replacement alone available rather than the whole ORVM?

Kindly give your inputs!
Old 16th April 2016, 23:01   #160
BHPian

I am planning to buy the alto 800 for my folks. Its a replacement to our family 800 uniq which is about 8 yrs old and which doesn't have power steering. The only reason for maruti is our good relationship with the service shop which is close by and gives free pick up and drop. So a comfort factor has set in for my folks which is hard to dislodge now.

Now at the sales side, the only discount i am getting is 30k on Lxi. Is it too low? Should i ask for addl freebies on Lxi?

Last edited by gopa99 : 16th April 2016 at 23:05.
Old 16th April 2016, 23:39   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
I am planning to buy the alto 800 for my folks. Its a replacement to our family 800 uniq which is about 8 yrs old and which doesn't have power steering. The only reason for maruti is our good relationship with the service shop which is close by and gives free pick up and drop. So a comfort factor has set in for my folks which is hard to dislodge now.

Now at the sales side, the only discount i am getting is 30k on Lxi. Is it too low? Should i ask for addl freebies on Lxi?
The Discount for Alto 800 is Rs. 35K + Corporate Discount + Exchange Bonus

Source: http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...=list&Itemid=9

Try haggling across dealerships.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 23:50   #162
BHPian

Quote:
The average mentioned by you in city bumper to bumper traffic is decent according to the standards of Alto 800 but an average of just above 18kmpl on highways is not that good. I have a previous gen Alto still at home, which has clocked approximately 1,17,000 kms as of now and we still manage to get around 21-23 kmpl with A/C on-off depending upon the weather and temperature.

The figures ''22-25'' aren't really unrealistic at all. You just have to avoid a hard right foot and try to be in the right gear. That's it!

Higher gear-low rpm is not really a good idea and it won't really help you procuring a good average. "Right speed-right gear" is the key!

In a recent highway trip I managed to get around 23 kmpl and found it to be suspicious keeping in mind the age of my car (i.e. 8 years and 1,17,000 kms). I tried talking to few experts on the forum and they said it was absolutely ok!

Also avoid resting your left foot on the clutch pedal, it also affects the mileage vitally.

Alto 800 is a gem of an engine and an average of above 22 kmpl can be easily procured if tried. Try to do what I suggested you and I wouldn't be surprised when you too mention those unrealistic figures, the next time you hit a highway.

Best wishes
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 11:38   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
The figures ''22-25'' aren't really unrealistic at all. You just have to avoid a hard right foot and try to be in the right gear. That's it!

Higher gear-low rpm is not really a good idea and it won't really help you procuring a good average. "Right speed-right gear" is the key!

Also avoid resting your left foot on the clutch pedal, it also affects the mileage vitally.

Alto 800 is a gem of an engine and an average of above 22 kmpl can be easily procured if tried.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will remember them in my next drive.
I will implement them over the next few weeks, measure a few tank-tank averages and update you if there is any interesting observations from side!
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 15:54   #164
BHPian

Some pictures of the 2016 face-lift of Alto 800 have come out. Seems like the car now has slots for fog lamps which were not there earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-2016marutialtofaceliftfront.jpg  

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-2016marutialtofacelift.jpg  

subhro1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 16:33   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
Some pictures of the 2016 face-lift of Alto 800 have come out. Seems like the car now has slots for fog lamps which were not there earlier.
Good that they are not waiting until the next gen Alto, and decided to do a minor facelift. Interesting to see fog lamps in the Alto 800. If they add some beige to the interiors of this small car, it would make it look a little roomier than it actually is.
The number of variants seem too many for this car - they should probably remove certain variants. Give the airbag + ABS, as standard, and do not give any variants without these please. This would set the industry moving towards increased safety in <5L space.
If you add an AMT version, then there will be several customers. Please do it before Renault does!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks