Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2016, 18:08   #181
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Thanks @PraNeel, the issue with some shops in JC road is, auto-electrician they have sometimes doesn't do a clean job, I have seen some of their shady jobs in my friend's cars and they have created lot of damage, but not all shops are like that and finding those genuine shop is again a big task, but will definitely check out them, if you know any specific shop, please let me know.
In my experience one should clearly communicate the requirements beforehand and then only commence the work. If not satisfied with the initial discussion try another shop / person.

I have one reference of Salman (9740513395) for you to try. I found him to be OK.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 18:14   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
In my experience one should clearly communicate the requirements beforehand and then only commence the work. If not satisfied with the initial discussion try another shop / person.

I have one reference of Salman (9740513395) for you to try. I found him to be OK.
Thanks for the reference, i will call him next week, as i got a call from Mandovi that my vehicle delivery will now be on Saturday.
Old 29th September 2016, 19:41   #183
BHPian

Quote:
I booked Alto 800 LXI.
Congratulations!!!

Quote:
I am not buying accessories from maruti
Any accessory from Maruthi is expensive. Buy only those such as speaker covers, rear parcel tray and socket.

Ask the accessory sales manager if he can arrange to fit the remote lock in front your eyes without cutting any wires? If he guarantees that, then proceed and be vigilant.

Remember, an accessory that comes fitted from factory is always rated high than the ones you get fitted outside even if it is MASS.

It has been 4 months since I purchased my Alto800. Lack of time and funds put me off from installing the accessories. I am installing the autocop remote from outside next month. Will keep you informed.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 29th September 2016 at 19:42.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 00:32   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Congratulations!!!

Any accessory from Maruthi is expensive. Buy only those such as speaker covers, rear parcel tray and socket.

Ask the accessory sales manager if he can arrange to fit the remote lock in front your eyes without cutting any wires? If he guarantees that, then proceed and be vigilant.

Remember, an accessory that comes fitted from factory is always rated high than the ones you get fitted outside even if it is MASS.

It has been 4 months since I purchased my Alto800. Lack of time and funds put me off from installing the accessories. I am installing the autocop remote from outside next month. Will keep you informed.
Thanks, let me know how autocop works once you have it installed. I will talk to them regarding wire cut tomorrow,lets see what they say, last time they said there won't be any cuts, will update you soon.
Old 30th September 2016, 00:42   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I will remember them in my next drive.
I will implement them over the next few weeks, measure a few tank-tank averages and update you if there is any interesting observations from side!
Hello Hybridpetrol!

It's quite some time since you mentioned the issues related to mileage you were getting on highways. So, how is the car performing now? Is there any difference in mileage observed by you or it's still the same story ?

Regards
Aakarsh
Old 30th September 2016, 14:04   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Hello Hybridpetrol!

It's quite some time since you mentioned the issues related to mileage you were getting on highways. So, how is the car performing now? Is there any difference in mileage observed by you or it's still the same story ?
Hello Aakarsh!

Thanks for asking.
Well, I have actually stopped measuring the mileage figures since then. The last I measured was 15.6 kmpl for daily office commute which includes bumper to bumper traffic for nearly 10 km and 18.7 for highway driving.

A question. How do you handle A/C during bumper to bumper traffic? I let the engine running to get the A/C working continuously, which is probably one reason why the city mileage is so less - The engine idles too much.

Next time when I hit the highway, I will make note to measure full tank to full tank to see if there is any change.
Old 30th September 2016, 14:21   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Hello Aakarsh!

Thanks for asking.
Well, I have actually stopped measuring the mileage figures since then. The last I measured was 15.6 kmpl for daily office commute which includes bumper to bumper traffic for nearly 10 km and 18.7 for highway driving.

A question. How do you handle A/C during bumper to bumper traffic? I let the engine running to get the A/C working continuously, which is probably one reason why the city mileage is so less - The engine idles too much.

Next time when I hit the highway, I will make note to measure full tank to full tank to see if there is any change.
The city in which I live is not that hot all the time. So when there is a need of A/C, I switch it on and when it cools the cabin completely then I turn it off for a while. I keep the blower running though.

Waiting for your next highway trip so that I get to know the mileage you are getting.

Regards
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 10:16   #188
BHPian

Hi Guys, I need a quick help.

My Alto LX is at service station now with a loose gear lever. It happened when one of my friend was driving the car. I'm not in city to check exactly what has happened. What my friend told is, he heard a cracking sound and the gear lever became loose without slotting into any gear.

Now the concern is, the service center guy is quoting 6.5K for the repair. I spoke to him over phone and he is saying he has to open the gear box and replace some broken component. I'm not clear from his description what exactly is broken and why it happened. Anybody has any previous similar experience or any idea what this issue is? Kindly help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th September 2017 at 10:35. Reason: Properly formatted the post. Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 11:54   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
What my friend told is, he heard a cracking sound and the gear lever became loose without slotting into any gear. Now the concern is, the service center guy is quoting 6.5K for the repair. .
From the explaination of yours, I do not think it requires opening up gear box.

I am unable to recollect the part name, but it should be a ~600 rs or so part. I faced this issue couple of years back in my Alto and had got it replaced. Will try to find the bill and let know the part details.
Old 1st February 2017, 15:54   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
The city in which I live is not that hot all the time. So when there is a need of A/C, I switch it on and when it cools the cabin completely then I turn it off for a while. I keep the blower running though.

Waiting for your next highway trip so that I get to know the mileage you are getting.
True to my promise in September, here is my response after my reasonably longer drive.
Below is my recent trip in my Alto 800.
Day 1: Coimbatore - Bannari - Dhimbam - Chamrajnagar - KR Pete - NH75 - Dharmasthala
Day 2: Dharmasthala - Udupi - Murdeshwar - NH66 - Goa.
Day 3, 4, 5: Goa sightseeing in the same car
Day 6: Goa - NH66 - Kollur Mookambika - Udupi
Day 7: Udupi - Subramanya - Madikeri - Mysuru - Chamrajnagara - Dhimbam - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore.

Total Kilometers driven: 2227
Petrol Used: 101.52 Litres. Started with a full tank. After ending the trip, filled the tank the next day and calculated the litres.
Mileage: 21.93 kmpl.

I am really happy with the mileage figure I was expecting something around 18 only.

And thanks for your inputs for improvements!

Quoting one of your post:
Quote:
The figures ''22-25'' aren't really unrealistic at all. You just have to avoid a hard right foot and try to be in the right gear. That's it!

Higher gear-low rpm is not really a good idea and it won't really help you procuring a good average. "Right speed-right gear" is the key!

Last edited by hybridpetrol : 1st February 2017 at 15:56.
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 08:32   #191
BHPian

I've just booked a granite gray Alto800 lxi to replace my ageing M800. I am getting it for 3.4 lakh OTR with basic kit (seat covers, mats etc.) and zero dep insurance. Expecting it to be delivered within a week.

Just wanted to ask something regarding aftermarket stereo. I've ordered a Sony HU and speakers from Amazon. Does alto has a 6.5 inch slot in the front doors ? Will I need to get the door-pad cut ?
Old 26th September 2017, 10:30   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit View Post
I've just booked a granite gray Alto800 lxi to replace my ageing M800. I am getting it for 3.4 lakh OTR with basic kit (seat covers, mats etc.) and zero dep insurance. Expecting it to be delivered within a week.

Just wanted to ask something regarding aftermarket stereo. I've ordered a Sony HU and speakers from Amazon. Does alto has a 6.5 inch slot in the front doors ? Will I need to get the door-pad cut ?
There are dedicated slots/mountings for speakers in front doors. You have to just install the speakers. Plus they have grill for speaker. I dont remember the size of it but will confirm it
findviru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 19:22   #193
BHPian

I've got my car on 26th. Got the ICE fitted from outside. Not a single wire is cut in the wiring harness and yes, there were dedicated slots for 6.5 inch speakers in front doors.
Udit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:35   #194
Senior - BHPian

I have done a rough calculation on how much it will cost to own this car for 5 years. I have made the following assumptions / approximations which may not be accurate. Feel free to point out the mistakes:
1. Yearly running 15000 kms
2. Fuel cost Rs.65/Litre
3. Insurance cost for years 2-5 reduced 10% per year from the initial premium.
4. Yearly servicing costs Rs. 5000.
5. I have not considered the cost of replacement tyres after 40K kms but have added tyres and alloys in the initial cost.
6. Resale after 5 years 2 Lakhs.

What do you think. Is it still a good buy as a 2nd car?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-800-ownership.jpg  

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 3rd January 2018 at 12:37. Reason: Editing attachment
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 10:13   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I have done a rough calculation on how much it will cost to own this car for 5 years. I have made the following assumptions / approximations which may not be accurate.....
What do you think. Is it still a good buy as a 2nd car?
I think Alto comes with a good cash discount throughout the year. I bought mine for 3.37 lakh OTR (Lxi, with basic kit). I've run it around 4.5k kms and the efficiency figures are around 19-20 kmpl in city conditions without ac. I took it on a few long drives and the average it returned was around 22-23 without ac. I think it is more VFM than any other car in the market. The only dislike I have is the very uncomfortable seats (I've driven 11 non stop hours in those seats).

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-img_20171225_115927.jpg

Most Viewed