Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 12:58   #91
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review

My colleague took a test drive of this car. The salesman said that he has got a corporate offer for technopark employees. Alto K-10 can be provided for the same price of alto 800 Vxi. I wonder why? Either they have got more than enough bookings for alto 800 or K10 is not moving out of their showrooms.
Old 12th November 2012, 14:12   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Either they have got more than enough bookings for alto 800 or K10 is not moving out of their showrooms.
Both, I must say. Alto800 is attracting other customers like that of AltoK10 etc. The 'novelty' (?) factor of Alto800 compared to K10 may be the reason. So, IMO, there are high chances that the K10 engined new Alto will come very soon.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th November 2012 at 14:17.
Old 13th November 2012, 18:34   #93
BHPian

I own the K10 and have driven the new 800. It looks like the cars are being priced almost the same which may be a bit confusing for new/ first time buyers. Here's what I feel:

The K10 is a 100% match for those who belong to the "I am the only person driving the car" category. It is a fantastic feeling one gets while driving this car.. almost as "free" as a bike.

The new 800 is more of a "for the passengers" type of car with a decent engine. It's not all that fun to drive when compared to the K10. It just does it's job.

I'd suggest that a test drive be taken of both cars by the actual person who does the driving and then a decision can be made.

If I were to put my money, I'd put it on the K10 any day!!!
vsathyap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 14:13   #94
Senior - BHPian

The car was displayed in the Park Square Mall, ITPL. The dash looks better than the current alto. Except for the fabric insert in the door, the interior looks same as the previous Alto. I like the exteriors of the previous Alto. The front looks really bad. Looks the the reduction in length was achieved via the bumper. The side profile looks bad because of the bumpers. The front is the worst looking part of the car.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 21:52   #95
BHPian

i own a 800 from 2004. I dont want to bad mouth the new car, but i personally feel that my 2004 800 is good by all measures.

I have split head rests and this was offered way back in 2004, we are in 2012, the seats and headrests arent split and this is called "FUNKY DESIGN"

Except for cosmetic changes and a copy of 800, alto, i dont see anything extraordinary in this technological mess that Maruti has created. It is such a mess on the road.

My 2004 800 commands respect from people more than this new stuff for sure. Not many takers in my city though.

Atrocious move by Maruti. Sad but true.
Old 15th November 2012, 13:05   #96
Senior - BHPian

Link to Zigwheels comparo of the Eon & Alto800:

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...parison/14758/

The Eon is eons ahead in the interiors & exteriors (space & styling) , but, the Alto800 trumps on engine refinement & handling .

It would be difficult for Hyundai Eon to match Alto800's numbers in near future. However, I would recommend up-sizing the tyres to 155/70/R13 with good set of alloys.
Old 15th November 2012, 13:21   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
i own a 800 from 2004. I dont want to bad mouth the new car, but i personally feel that my 2004 800 is good by all measures.

I have split head rests and this was offered way back in 2004, we are in 2012, the seats and headrests arent split and this is called "FUNKY DESIGN"

Except for cosmetic changes and a copy of 800, alto, i dont see anything extraordinary in this technological mess that Maruti has created. It is such a mess on the road.

My 2004 800 commands respect from people more than this new stuff for sure. Not many takers in my city though.

Atrocious move by Maruti. Sad but true.
I have driven may pre-2005 800s (including classic 1985) and I feel that this one is a decent improvement over the previous gen cars. Except 1985 model car all had issues with the door closing. They would never shut completely if pushed with nominal force. The AC never worked properly in Delhi heat except for 5-gear model. The AC control were pathetic and I could never adjust them for required temperature.

I think 2004 model had sideways protruding bumpers and they looked ugly.

The good thing was that it was fun to drive and I never felt the need for a power steering. For rest of the requirements the current 800 is definitely a improvement.

Looks are subjective and I feel Maruti could have invested more time and energy on looks of this car.

As for the integrated headrests are concerned, I agree that they are crapy and painful too. Most of the new gen cars are now using them in to cut down the costs (i10, Santro, Etios etc)
Old 15th November 2012, 13:26   #98
Senior - BHPian

The Alto 800 just seems to be everywhere in Kerala.

I read somewhere Maruti enjoys the highest market share in Kerala, compared to any other state. So, no wonder.

And I see a lot of Eons too. Mostly Era+.
Old 17th November 2012, 08:55   #99
BHPian

Quote:
I think 2004 model had sideways protruding bumpers and they looked ugly

I still have this car with me for the sole reason that i feel it is one of wonders made in the car industry. As you said, looks are subjective & for me this is a good looking car and it looks better than the new 800.

I still have people requesting to sell the car to them. This has made me further stubborn to take care of the car very well.

Quote:
The good thing was that it was fun to drive and I never felt the need for a power steering.
You are right when you say this. Car is a joy to drive in Bangalore. I hardly drive the other sedans i have.

Quote:
As for the integrated headrests are concerned, I agree that they are crapy and painful too.
This is one atrocious thing that some design engineer has convinced the car manufacturers accept. My goodness, I feel so let down seeing this design.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 17th November 2012 at 08:58.
nandans2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 16:01   #100
BANNED

Source: http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/2...livered-64869/

"2012 Maruti Alto 800 bookings hit the 44,000 mark".

Now I wonder how many WR sales were converted to Alto800!
Old 21st November 2012, 10:59   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Now I wonder how many WR sales were converted to Alto800!
I would not worry about Wagon-R sales getting affecting. It would be really interesting to see what this does to the EON. Hyundai is going all out to get some sales for the EON with aggressive advertising and really cheap gimmicks (newspaper ads with direct jabs to Alto800) to lure the potential customer.

If Eon still manages to cross the 7000 mark this month, then, its a really good battle on the cards. I also believe that the Alto800 may have cannibalized sales of its elder twin, the K10. Looks like Maruti is playing the waiting game with the K10. Once the Alto800 stabilizes in the market, I think they will be ready to plonk the K10B in the new model and say good bye to the old Alto design.

The customer will then have two options for the Alto - the 800 with the F8D and the "newer" Alto with the K10B. All this is still speculation and one can only wait and watch!
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:32   #102
BHPian

In my opinion, the earlier generation Alto has much more matured looks than the current design.
Its like the new alto was designed from parts bin of different cars, from figo to A-star.
The interiors of the old Alto were a huge drawback for current trends and they should have addressed this issue, atleast in the new version of Alto.

Btw why is Maruti going to care about this as long as its cash registers are ringing.
P.S: this is entirely my view on new alto 800, as i was a fan of old alto which i have driven extensively for 4 years.
Old 28th November 2012, 17:13   #103
BHPian

Why Maruti why?

I was a big fan of the old ALTO! Having one for the past 7 years!! You should never have wrecked the design! It was awesome as it was! This looks a kids job for a science project! Well anyways, In-case I am selling mine.. I will look for something else other than this hideous contraption!

And regarding the funky design seats! I got these seats while I Purchased the jeep! and it looks like this was introduced sometime back as well! Not sure. But the jeep owner I purchased the jeeps from said these were gypsy seats! This was back in 2009.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-jeep-inside.jpg  

Last edited by yamaniac : 28th November 2012 at 17:21.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:48   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Alto bookings crosses the coveted 50000 mark!

The new Alto 800 is expected to continue its record run as the first time car buyers community is expanding at a promising pace. As of now, every eighth car sold in India is an Alto

Old 29th December 2012, 14:21   #105
BANNED

Source: http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/c...-estilo-66129/

"the car maker could launch an all new small car that could be positioned between the A-Star and the Estilo... This car will be initially available in petrol-0nly guise. Speculations suggest that Maruti Suzuki could also launch diesel engined variants of this small car in the coming years. The small car is expected to be priced between INR 3-4 lakhs."

Came to know from a Maruti guy that the car in question here is the new Alto with K10 engine and a number of modifications in terms of look and features, and will replace both Alto K10 and Estilo, but not A-Star. Let's wait and see what Maruti has in stock.

Most Viewed