Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:39   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review

I have booked a "Anniversary Edition Alto 800" for my better half. will be getting it delivered this week

Make : Maruti suzuki
Model :Anniversary Edition Alto 800
Variant : Lxi
Fuel : F8D
Booking Date : 27/11/2013
Color : Purple Haze
Expected Delivery Date : This week
Freebies : Lots !!!! Bumper to Bumper insurance+ 30k cash discount+ 10k work accessories ( PVC Mat + Reverse Parking sensors + Central Locking) + 1k on my auto cars and 2k refund on her maruti drivng school fees from where she learnt to drive
Accessories Ordered: LT Mirror with garnish painted to body colour + Door sill Guards + Stereo systems
Price : 3,51,000 OTR at Chennai Inclusive of 30k discounts
Booking Amount : Rs.1,50,000
Dealership : Vishnu cars, Chromepet , Chennai

Since wifey is a first time driver, didnt want to pool in a lot of money for the car. Our alternatives were hyundai Eon Era +, Nano Lx. Our criteria was a Basic smallest car with power steering. Everything else we would get was a bonus

Test drove Nano and found it hard to drive without power steering. Eon and Alto 800 were neck to neck.

The anniversary edition edged Eon out because of the Girly Gilrly New Colour (Purple Haze) and awesome A.S.S at MSM chennai.

Wifey liked Eon for looks and Interior comfort. But No girly colour available, hyundai A.S.S is always on the higher side

So chose Alto 800 our best bet as i have had awesome service for my swift from MSM Chennai. And they are giving me 1000 points on my autocard too for referring the wifey !!!

We had to nevertheless bargain hard keeping two dealerships in tow to get these offers at the month end deal and also had to get it as our car would loose out on depreciation due to getting it in december.

Alto 800 was more comfortable for the wifey to maneuver and plus the purple haze colour was only limited to 3 cars per dealership so would be a unique color on road

Colour of the car ( Not Mine)

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-untitled.jpg

Last edited by geeash : 2nd December 2013 at 09:47.
geeash is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 18:34   #122
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Alto 800 fom Narayani Motors, Bhubaneswar. I found the braking inadequate even in city driving conditions. I had to stand on the brakes to slow down the car. Is this a problem with the TD car or the Alto's braking is like that ?
Old 9th December 2013, 20:56   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
Took a test drive of the Alto 800 fom Narayani Motors, Bhubaneswar. I found the braking inadequate even in city driving conditions. I had to stand on the brakes to slow down the car. Is this a problem with the TD car or the Alto's braking is like that ?
You may TD another car as Alto's braking isn't this bad! It's OK for day to day commutes.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 09:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

^^Alto's braking is not bad at all! I find it to be quite adequate for speeds up to 100 kph! There must have been something wrong with that particular car.
Old 19th December 2013, 12:35   #125
BHPian

just booked the torque blue LXi version for my mom.
on road price is 3.3L (with extended 3 & 4 year warranty)

the VXi version was there but not in torque blue color.

the VXi cost 3.5L on road.
the additions from LXi are(along with prices)
  1. side beading(1200),
  2. spoiler(4500),
  3. Left OVRM(1250),
  4. music sys(4990)+ labour(300)
  5. two front speakers(1990)
strange thing is that adding these extra mods to the LXi would still make it cheaper than VXi by 6k.

i really don't get why would anyone want to get the VXi for a deal like this!!
ariendj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 13:21   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
i really don't get why would anyone want to get the VXi for a deal like this!!
Factory fitted power windows my friend . No Autocop power windows can match the quality of the factory fitted power windows .
Old 19th December 2013, 13:27   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Factory fitted power windows my friend . No Autocop power windows can match the quality of the factory fitted power windows .
the LXi has front power windows too just like the VXi

now my doubt is few things like parcel tray and central locking!!
can anyone with VXi version or those who have seen confirm if the above two are present on the VXi !
Old 1st January 2014, 17:27   #128
BANNED

So the 800, Zen, Alto, Alto K10, A-Star & Alto 800 are all basically Altos. Though all are not available, at any given time (after the launch of the Zen) there were at least 2 generations of the Alto sold side by side. Maruti should sell only 1 version with 3 trim levels (LX, LXi & VXi) with the options of the F8D and K10 engines.
Old 4th January 2014, 17:50   #129
BHPian

Tired of fumbling for the inconvenient location of the power window switches, my friend found an innovative solution to it. He drilled a small hole & fit in a green LED light with resistor on each switch.
Necessity is really the mother of Invention!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-led-lights.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 18:43   #130
BHPian

By any chance, do any of your guy's steering rattle? My Dad's 5800+ km Alto 800 surprisingly rattles! And the rattle is specific when I do lock-lock from right to left and not from left to right. What I'm wondering is, is this a prevailing issue in all Alto 800s? Or is this a carry-over issue from the Swift? And by that, are there carry over parts from Swift to Alto 800, I'm wondering again. Pl advice people.
Old 23rd January 2014, 23:27   #131
BANNED

I have been seeing a lot of Alto800's on the roads but none with alloys. Does Maruti offer alloys as an accessory on this car. Has anyone upgraded to alloys from outside and has anyone upsized to 13".
Old 24th January 2014, 02:15   #132
Senior - BHPian

If I may ask the people buying Alto800 :

What made you'll choose it over the Nano Twist?

Apart from the Disc Brakes (although I did read in a few posts that the brakes weren't great).
Has anyone listed out any detailed comparo of sorts? - ofcourse, the neutral kind, not the fanboy version.

-Regards
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 22:31   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I have been seeing a lot of Alto800's on the roads but none with alloys. Does Maruti offer alloys as an accessory on this car. Has anyone upgraded to alloys from outside and has anyone upsized to 13".
I have added 13 inchers to my Alto 800.
Presently on Michelin XM2 and 'Compact' alloys.

Did it from outside, right after the delivery of the car.

Last edited by ariendj : 24th January 2014 at 22:37.
Old 5th May 2014, 09:45   #134
Team-BHP Support

Spotted this brand new Alto 800 at our company's parking lot. Looks beautiful in person. This snap doesn't do it justice unfortunately.

Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-wp_20140503_10_04_34_pro.jpg

I recall the SS80 was offered in a similar shade of blue.
Old 5th May 2014, 11:03   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
So the 800, Zen, Alto, Alto K10, A-Star & Alto 800 are all basically Altos. Though all are not available, at any given time (after the launch of the Zen) there were at least 2 generations of the Alto sold side by side. Maruti should sell only 1 version with 3 trim levels (LX, LXi & VXi) with the options of the F8D and K10 engines.
No, Zen was sold with the name 'Alto' only in the European countries. Nothing to do with the Suzuki Alto or our current or past Alto. Confusing on part of Suzuki to brand the Indian Zen as Alto in Europe. The original car was Suzuki Cervo Mode (SS20) sold in Japan.
There was no Alto K10 in Japan. The Alto & 800 shared the same 3Cyl-796 cc driving unit, while the K10 had the K-series engine shared by the current Wagon-R & Estilo which displaced 998 CC by way of 3 Cylinders.

The Zen, which saw very minor changes in the entire 14 years of its existence, came throughout with a 1.0 litre engine; well 993 CC/ 4 Cylinder to be precise. Though some changes were made in the year 2000 in the wheel profile and some technical upgradations to comply with the Euro-II norms which included making use of an electronic fuel injection and 4 valves per cylinder, but the engine block remained the same for the entire period, even with the 2003 face-lifted Zen. The Zen Estilo had only one thing common with the older Zen - The Name! Most of the stuff were borrowed from Wagon-R.

But one thing is for sure that by selling so many cars with names borrowed/ interchanged within the Suzuki family of cars, that too from diverse segments, has confused the Indian buyers. Ah, did I mention that the Suzuki Cultus which was sold as Suzuki Swift in many parts of world was actually our age old Maruti Esteem. I am already confused by now!

Last edited by saket77 : 5th May 2014 at 11:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks