Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 09:57   #1546
BHPian

I agree with NST. My AC even at max (blue) setting doesn't chill, it only makes it comfortable. Also when the rear AC is also on, the air flow becomes low and so does the cooling. What to say about the rear AC, it takes ages to cool in Delhi's heat. I would love to understand this "gate" thing so that I can get the same done at the earliest.

On a separate note, these guys haven't still been able to figure out the reason for the high beam pointing to the sky (literally) after replacing the headlights. Don't know what to do?
Old 6th September 2013, 10:08   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post

On a separate note, these guys haven't still been able to figure out the reason for the high beam pointing to the sky (literally) after replacing the headlights. Don't know what to do?
Search Dadu's thread here on Safari headlight levelling adjustment and do a DIY adjustment, I think storme should be pretty similar
Old 6th September 2013, 10:34   #1548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with NST. My AC even at max (blue) setting doesn't chill
Isn't the Blue the economy mode ? Shouldn't the green option be better ?
Old 6th September 2013, 11:09   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Can you pls. throw some light on what 'gate' settings are you referring to that made your AC a chiller & what did you complain the A** people that made them do this setting. My storme's AC is not a chiller its just Ok & i don't like that. (Even in blue light mode)

I just wish it was better just like my corolla's AC which brings a smile on my face and chills the cabin even when set at 25 deg.
I had exactly the same opinion as you when I got my own Storme. Please read about it in the early pages of my Beastie' ownership thread. Also, I used to clearly get outside smells inside the cabin even with the recirculate mode on. I honestly used to feel that the throw of air in all the speeds was less compared to my Baleno as the benchmark (which has a lovely and silent AC - actually everything about the Baleno is lovely, but that's OT ).

Also, the blower (for the amount of air its actually throwing) in the Storme is really loud - #4 especially. I complained about all of this to the National guys. I did this a couple of times and they did some tests and came back saying nothing was off. Then I gues the 2nd (or 3rd) time they told me there was some gate or flap inside which should be in a certain position but which often comes open to varying degrees from the factory, and that they had now adjusted it properly.

After that the AC has realy been a chiller. Believe me when I tell you I rarely if ever move to the #2 position, and even in #1, I am mostly in the green ECO setting. I do not know if the air flow volume/throw has improved but the cooling has seen a massive improvement. Also outside smells just the hint of a whiff comes in now, so am not complaining. Some outside air must come into the cabin even in recirculate mode, otherwise everyone inside would eventually asphyxiate.

Hope this helps!
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 11:14   #1550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Isn't the Blue the economy mode ? Shouldn't the green option be better ?
Blue = Cool
(compare with Red = hot)

Green = Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
there was some gate or flap inside which should be in a certain position but which often comes open to varying degrees from the factory, and that they had now adjusted it properly.
Doc, could you try & find the correct name of this gate ? Will be easier for us to explain to our A.S.S

Last edited by condor : 6th September 2013 at 11:15.
Old 6th September 2013, 11:19   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Doc, could you try & find the correct name of this gate ? Will be easier for us to explain to our A.S.S
I just called up Mr. Mahadev, the Service Team Lead at National. He's going to get back to me with the details once his head electrical guy is back (he's on a breakdown right now). Will post the details here for sure. AC is very important part of the Safari's allure, and in the early days I was really feeling let down after having read all the stories (most of them here on Team BHP) about the Safari's AC being a chiller.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 15:13   #1552
BHPian

I can answer that on doc's behalf as our stormes faced almost similar problems like twins

The gate that doc is talking about is the flap controlled by the recirculation mode. Even if the recirculation is switched on, some part is still left open to allow for some percentage of fresh air mixing. This as told by tata guys is a mandate to every manufacturer, they can not completely shut this gate in recirculation. the amount of opening in recirculation can be adjusted though and in many stormes is too much open hence the foul smell creeps in. and so there is a loss in cooling.

Another problem which may affect cooling is premature cutoff from compressor, which sounds like a tick and can be felt in a stationary vehicle. This happens because of faulty thermostat which cuts off the compressor before chilling the cabin. I had notified this problem also and TASS promptly check and rectified both of these.

Since then I am chilling happily ever after , I mean the ac is chilly.

Cheers

Last edited by stormerider : 6th September 2013 at 15:14.
stormerider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 17:21   #1553
Distinguished - BHPian

In my case, I dont find outside air coming in too much, as checked by outside smells. I am mainly un-happy with the controls - how the control knobs affect cooling.

but Stormerider & Doc, thanks. Will check my SA.
Old 6th September 2013, 17:43   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case, I dont find outside air coming in too much, as checked by outside smells. I am mainly un-happy with the controls - how the control knobs affect cooling.

but Stormerider & Doc, thanks. Will check my SA.
Did not understand the part in bold bro. Also the earlier comment about needing ACC and us Storme owners understanding what you meant?
Old 6th September 2013, 21:06   #1555
Distinguished - BHPian

Doc, a 1-2 step increase / decrease - as measure on the temp control knob does not show a proportional change in temp - the temp seems to remain the same.
Old 6th September 2013, 23:41   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Doc, a 1-2 step increase / decrease - as measure on the temp control knob does not show a proportional change in temp - the temp seems to remain the same.
Agreed, when you turn the temperature knob from blue towards red, not much change in temperature, it still remains a lot cooler than expected and starts the warm air as soon as we cross half mark.
But there sure is difference which I have felt driving around in Jaipur in summers. If changing temperature doesn't work, I either turn the blower to a different setting, as hands are kulfi by now, or just turn it off for couple of minutes.
Old 7th September 2013, 13:15   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Agreed, when you turn the temperature knob from blue towards red, not much change in temperature, it still remains a lot cooler than expected and starts the warm air as soon as we cross half mark.
But there sure is difference which I have felt driving around in Jaipur in summers. If changing temperature doesn't work, I either turn the blower to a different setting, as hands are kulfi by now, or just turn it off for couple of minutes.
LOL My temp dial is always set on coldest position, and I simply do what stormerider does when it gets too cold - I shut off the AC for some time. I like to think of my Storme as a truck, and LOVE the way the whole truck, gear knob, and even side seat shakes when I shut it down. As far as I am concerned, the less complications the better!

UPDATE on A/C GATE/FLAP :

Spoke to the electrical guy at National about what he had done on my truck's A/C. The recirculate button (orange light on the left) activates a motor which turn a flap which closes off external air from the outside. COMPLETELY. No, it is not even partially open, as per spec.

The flap in my truck was not clsing (not even moving). Some asjustments to the motor took care of that. No parts were replaced.

When I quizzed the guy about how people inside would breathe if the flap closes of outside air completely, he told me there are two more external air flaps for allowing a certain amount of outside air into the cabin. If not he said, it would have been imposible to close the doors. Sort of like a breather.

These two flaps are to the back of the truck. Initially I thought these were the modified grab rail thingy type things just above the rear quarter glass on each side (the one that is different to the one found in the Dicors). But he said no. These flaps are at the bottom, near the spare wheel. He did not seem to be clear about where they open into the cabin, but I am guessing through the slats on those detachable fiber windows just besides each jump seat in the 3rd row. That seems to be the most obvious location.

Hope this helps. Would love it if somebody else could also confirm.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 14:52   #1558
BHPian

Guys, has anyone installed the reverse parking camera on their truck yet? Tata motors have started offering a camera with a display fixed on the dashboard for 5400 inr. Was planing to get the same done. Any option available?
Old 7th September 2013, 15:20   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, has anyone installed the reverse parking camera on their truck yet? Tata motors have started offering a camera with a display fixed on the dashboard for 5400 inr. Was planing to get the same done. Any option available?
I was getting a 4 sensors + camera with display in IRVM unit (clipped over OE IRVM) for about 7,500.

The better alternative (for me) is just the 4 sensors with a red LED display with sound and distance which is a small black unit that can be pasted either on the dash or the IRVM. This is for around 2-2,500.

I like the second option better as I have most people saying the camera is pretty much useless for depth perception as well as the sides and what immediately below bumper level (like a kid or a dog or a hydrant), as well as nearly useless in rains and the dark (even the IR ones are not much better).
Old 7th September 2013, 15:59   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

I was getting a 4 sensors + camera with display in IRVM unit (clipped over OE IRVM) for about 7,500.

The better alternative (for me) is just the 4 sensors with a red LED display with sound and distance which is a small black unit that can be pasted either on the dash or the IRVM. This is for around 2-2,500.

I like the second option better as I have most people saying the camera is pretty much useless for depth perception as well as the sides and what immediately below bumper level (like a kid or a dog or a hydrant), as well as nearly useless in rains and the dark (even the IR ones are not much better).
Please dont install the xenos rear camera and sensor...it does not display the distance and a splash screen is displayed for 5 sec when reverse is engadged and this cannot be disabled. :-(.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks