Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 08:07   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Nope, look at the Scorpio LX 4WD as a reference point.

It continues to appeal to 4WD enthusiasts and while it sells in its own niche,
Give people an option in that range, and see !
Old 7th December 2012, 13:42   #152
BHPian

Great Review Tanveer, rated 5 stars.

For me the short comings or easy to fix for Tata, but simply not bothered are:

No Auto AC:- Cmon, you now woke up and gave it to the Manza, why not for the safari
No Trip Computer - Do you think you are selling in the 1990s?
Question on Quality and safety - Your comment that the rear seat fell off on hard braking is hardly comforting
Rear Jump Seats - They Look absolutely pathetic.

Given these, and that the top end of the Storme will be > 17 L on road, am seriously wondering why will people not opt for the rexton paying a few lakhs extra or even the XuV. IMHO these guys will wake up long after the situation is beyond redemption and then try to provide goodies. Does it really take a very talented marketeer to research and come up with the finding that "Hyundai has run away to success because it provides goodies like nobody else".

I am truly baffled with the product development team at the TataS!!
Old 7th December 2012, 15:22   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post

Given these, and that the top end of the Storme will be > 17 L on road, am seriously wondering why will people not opt for the rexton paying a few lakhs extra or even the XuV....
XUV, I understand. But Rexton? There is 4L+ cost difference in the ex-showroom cost of the top-end Storme and the base-version Rexton. Translated into an on-road pricing, this gap widens even more. Rexton being superior on Features, Specs, Technology etc is understandable, but on the topic of Rear Seats

Sharing an image from another thread here.
sachinayak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 20:47   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
XUV, I understand. But Rexton? There is 4L+ cost difference in the ex-showroom cost of the top-end Storme and the base-version Rexton. Translated into an on-road pricing, this gap widens even more. Rexton being superior on Features, Specs, Technology etc is understandable, but on the topic of Rear Seats

Trust me, the Safari rear jump seats are among the worst kind of torture invented by mankind. Any kind of front facing seat, no matter how cramped is better than the abomination fitted in the storme.
That said, those two seats have only one purpose : Allow tata to get away with less strict emission norms. The moment you make a vehicle a 5 seater, you have to meet much tougher emission norms.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 15:21   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Trust me, the Safari rear jump seats are among the worst kind of torture invented by mankind. Any kind of front facing seat, no matter how cramped is better than the abomination fitted in the storme.
That said, those two seats have only one purpose : Allow tata to get away with less strict emission norms. The moment you make a vehicle a 5 seater, you have to meet much tougher emission norms.
But don't they have to meet safety standards to add those seats?? IIRC, I read somewhere on the forum that all the seats need to have seat belts to meet these standards?
Old 9th December 2012, 08:04   #156
BHPian

Saw a couple of Storme's on the road.

The First time when i saw it, it was coming from the opposite direction and i must say it looked amazing !! I literally slowed down to have a proper look at it. Very imposing a stance it has.

However the second time when i saw it, it was from the read end and all the euphoria created died in a minute. Tata could have done so much better with the tailgate.
Old 9th December 2012, 10:15   #157
BHPian

Quote:
G
No Auto AC:- Cmon, you now woke up and gave it to the Manza, why not for the safari
I think it will come in soon. Manza and Strome seem to have different teams, R&D and development. Moreover if Tata had no time to make changes from single DIN to double DIN even after asking people their opinion, then I guess it was too late for Tata to integrate climate control in Storme. Imagine the extra development energy and time to figure out new wiring design, fuses, ecu integration, dash redesign. I believe they might have already started working on the first facelift and this could come in another 6-10 months.

Quote:
GNo Trip Computer - Do you think you are selling in the 1990s?
I am surprised as well but I think it should be there. The meters look the same and one of the sticks below the odometer like in current safari should do the trick...but you never know

Quote:
Question on Quality and safety - Your comment that the rear seat fell off on hard braking is hardly comforting
Tata's are now known for their QA - its non existence to be precise. Hence to handle such things, we have a checklist for every member here :-). Tata wont change..we need to see these niggles and fix these.

I have a 3L dicor and I love it more than the 2.2 somehow. But now wondering to upgrade to a Storme. But like they say, All other manufacturers do R&D and launch the product. With Tata, they first launch and let customers do R&D and then Relaunch :-)

Last edited by rajismine : 9th December 2012 at 10:18.
rajismine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 10:17   #158
Senior - BHPian

When M&M developed the XUV, they paid particular attention to reducing weight through use of composite materials and polymers/plastics at key areas. So the wheel arches instead of having a plastic cladding over the metal arch, has just the cladding instead. This is what I am led to believe and apart from that a totally new monocoque body that sits lower down to the ground and has lower stance by avoiding the ladder frame chassis. Now this requires some investment into R&D of a new platform.

But has Tata skimped on R&D because of tight budget post JLR acquisition and the resultant lack of design is evident on the Storme. Carrying over the old dies for the side panels, top and even rear? was clearly the result of working on a limited budget. They had enough and more time to develop a new platform for the Storme and they cleverly sidestepped that process by transferring all the old safari panels to the new one. My strong feeling is that the tapering tall narrow design of the rear is naturally conducive to higher body roll. And they were constrained to even change that old design.
Old 9th December 2012, 12:30   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post

But has Tata skimped on R&D because of tight budget post JLR acquisition and the resultant lack of design is evident on the Storme. Carrying over the old dies for the side panels, top and even rear? was clearly the result of working on a limited budget. They had enough and more time to develop a new platform for the Storme and they cleverly sidestepped that process by transferring all the old safari panels to the new one. My strong feeling is that the tapering tall narrow design of the rear is naturally conducive to higher body roll. And they were constrained to even change that old design.
When Tata really OWNS Land Rover, why not use some of those engineers or know-how to improve product design. A similar analogy would be what Bajaj managed to do with the Pulsar 200NS.
Old 9th December 2012, 13:02   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post

I test drove the Rexton - and have the following observations:

1) Interior quality is pretty good, better than Fortuner. Feel it is quite good looking as well
2) The engine is a gem, the vehicle feels top heavy, is weighty
3) The manual version (only version that gets the low range box) is deprived of many important features, like ESP, Traction Control, ASR, Roll-Over Protection, HDC, extra pair of airbags, powered seats, leather seats, etc and is still 21.70 Lacs on road in Mumbai. It is more cramped than Storme or XUV5OO from the inside in spite of being a bigger vehicle.

So compared to that the Storme is not that bad a deal (only on the basis of features and what you get vs. the price you pay, as I cant comment on the driving behaviour as I haven't driven the Storme yet). And lets not forget, the Rexton is also a pretty old platform.

Also, Mumbai folks waiting to look at the Storme, I just got a call from Concorde motors for the Mumbai launch (12 Noon, 11th Dec at the prabhadevi showroom). So finally we can test drive it I presume. And as with all things Tata motors these days, they obviously made it most inconvenient for interested folks to be there at the launch - its on Wednesday at noon - bang in the middle of the work week!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikhyath View Post
When Tata really OWNS Land Rover, why not use some of those engineers or know-how to improve product design. A similar analogy would be what Bajaj managed to do with the Pulsar 200NS.
And that is the problem with the JLR acquisition. By itself, JLR is a fantastic company, great brands, great tech, great reputation and Tata has enriched JLR with their support (monetary and otherwise) and the success is there for the world to see. But as an acquisition, it is still very difficult to identify how it fits in the Tata Motors portfolio. But having bought the company and probably setting it on a path where the breakeven would have happened or in sight, one might wonder if a dispassionate but practical and effective Tata manager might take the view that the traditional Tata Motors UV and Passenger Cars platform (especially this!) is just a piece of junk, more so when you compare with what they have in their portfolio with JLR - and needs to be junked appropriately. A long term view might see the Indian car market evolving to a point where a very highly localized LR model can see significant volumes (5 years back who would have thought that a 16 lakhs on road XUV will have 5 k sales per month and still have weeks long waiting period). Maybe that's what Tata should be working at. And just maybe, that's what Tata is actually working at and hence the apparent lack of interest/aggression in the current UV and passenger cars portfolio. There are no all new models planned for either the UV or the passenger market and they are just milking existing platforms with new variants (Storme, Manza Club Class, the mythical Nano Diesel). And if that is the case, one has to admit, it is smart thinking from Tata motors, aimed at the future. Of course, those who have loved Tata Motors products will find such a turn of events disappointing as given everything and all said and done, Tata Motors products have always been cheaper and VFM. That is a worthy reason to love the company!

~And nevertheless, like a Tata fanboy, here is my Christmas wish list for Mr. Behram enriched Tata motors: A 4*4 with a proper low range box, diff locks, an uptuned version of the 2.2 Varicor, good GC, good interiors, stock AT tyres made on a shortened version of the X2 platform (no 7 seater)!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th December 2012 at 15:25. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the multiquote option when replying to multiple posts in the same thread.
bobbafett is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 16:24   #161
Senior - BHPian

I had an opportunity to drive a brand new vx 4x2 a few kms and here is my personal observation.

1. There is something with the seat, my knees were getting locked with the steering. I had to pull back the seat to avoid that, but not comfortable.

2. The seats are harder and firmer not cushion like mine on 2.2 perhaps better over long run

3. The engine was really smooth and silent for a new vehicle. Better damping and NVH control.

4. The plastics were falling off e.g. the plastic cover of the front seat near the base.

5. The cover of the tool box is now beneath the rear seat on the RHS side and the flap which covers it is gonna be painful to tuck in if gets out of shape.

6. The ride was firm for sure and inspires better control on the vehicle though there is pitching.

7. The gear shifting is almost similar to 2.2 i didn't find that much difference though Read Notchy but works

8. The rotary dials on the AC are a welcome change though i will doubt its longevity. Feels like a CH toy with rotary dials (read not crude)

9. The quality of the plastic vents felt crude to me.

10. On a straight road the vehicle still drifted to the left. Perhaps some settings. (But cmon its a fresh vehicle)

11. The quality perse has improved 20-30% over the current 2.2 for sure. a welcome change.

12. The gremlins of 2.2 Timing belt. Would it be there, i guess so after all its the same engine who knows.

13. The good news is that there will be lesser suspension issues in Storme due to less moving parts and bushes viz a viz 2.2

14. The steering feedback is really nice R&P at work. Goes where you point to.

15. The body roll is controlled. Lesser that 2.2

16. The best part is that the doors shut close real nice and soft

After short ride experience what do i think. Yes better though but it didnt feel much different you know honestly except for few positive welcome changes.

Will I buy it ? Sigh if there was a LX 4x4... but in absence of it ! NO

The top end VX 4x2 will prolly retail about 15+ lacs and 4x4 close to 17 lacs in Pune.

(Exshowroom + Octroi + 12 % RT + 3-4% Insurance + Rs.xxx for extended warranty)

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 9th December 2012 at 16:47. Reason: Edit Possible Price added
Rahulk76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 11:52   #162
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*Rates Thread a well-deserved 5 stars!*

I have no doubt that the Storme is the best Safari till date. The Safari has lost none of its strengths and has only gained new ones.

I am also disappointed at the lost opportunity. Slapping a new body onto the contemporary X2 chassis would have made for an "all new" Safari; one that would've created a lot more buzz and had a wider appeal in the marketplace. Tata has focused so much on the regular passenger car division that it's handed the UV segment to Mahindra & others on a silver platter.
Thanks to Tanveer for a great review. I agree with GTO 100% - a new body on the ARIA chassis would have given the XUV a run for its money.

I can match much of the "features" in the new Storme to that in the ARIA - driven around 8,500 kms on my Pure 4x2 now. The emphasis is on the improved handling and the superior braking. These I can vouch for on the ARIA as well. The suspension is marvellous, handles bad roads with ease. The interiors could have been better appointed as the ARIA - the VX Storme 4x4 costs close to the Prestige 4x4 ARIA - wonder why a similar instrument cluster could not be ported instead (for example) ?

With the XUV, it's a wait and watch - 2 years or so and the abuse handling capabilities will be out in the open !
Old 11th December 2012, 19:33   #163
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai launch was to happen today, was informed of the same at Wasan Chembur Showroom yesterday. They said the car would be on display today, have not gone to check it out - nor do I plan to - so don't know if this has actually occured.

Had gone to the showroom to pick up new mats for the Aria and in the end did not pick them up as they could not get the Credit Card Machine working.
Old 12th December 2012, 17:40   #164
BHPian

OK - MH pricing is out and LX crosses the 10L mark in Mumbai ! So, Bangalore will also, most likely :( The interesting piece is that the VX 4X4 in Mumbai is about 40K more than Safari VX 4X4 which I think, its good.
Old 12th December 2012, 18:54   #165
Senior - BHPian

The Pune pricing is out as well.

With octroi the difference between LX and EX is around 90K OTR.

Without octroi the difference is only 60K.

Wonder why have two variants so closely priced.

The VX is a good 2 lacs more than the EX OTR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks