Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2013, 15:56   #1666
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
No need to go anywhere else, pull out our monthly sales threads and you shall see. Just before Storme was launched, Safari was doing close to 1500/month. After Storme's launch, some months have seen even sub 1000 numbers. Last month it was 1200 odd I guess. So yes, both of them combined are selling less than Dicor alone!

Look at Scorpio, Duster, even XUV numbers. More than the industry slowdown, I guess it's the growing competition that's hurting TML.

I agree, the industry is going through a tough time but if the drop in sales was *only* due to industry slowdown, everyone should have put up similar numbers. Sure there were/are blips for everyone, but it looks particularly bad for TML.

I hope they launch those new SUVs they are developing with JLR soon and don't make the same mistake of overshooting the targets/timelines as with Storme.
My younger brother is with Tata Sons. He tells me even though Tata Motors are doing poorly in India, its not really hurting them and is in fact a blip. Because they are doing really good overseas, which is where the real margins are.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:08   #1667
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My younger brother is with Tata Sons. He tells me even though Tata Motors are doing poorly in India, its not really hurting them and is in fact a blip. Because they are doing really good overseas, which is where the real margins are.
Their stockholders / investors don't seem to be viewing it that way. Their performance would have been way better if not for India Sales figures. Their Business partners in India like the dealers and Ancillary Suppliers too are faring poorly due to this continued run of poor sales. It has settled at 60% of the earlier values and is almost resigned to that level.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:28   #1668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
JLR doing good after the acquisition is a blessing for Tata group as a whole. The bad run in domestic market is somewhat overshadowed by the good run JLR is having everywhere else. But that doesn't mean there are no problems in TML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Their stockholders / investors don't seem to be viewing it that way. Their performance would have been way better if not for India Sales figures. Their Business partners in India like the dealers and Ancillary Suppliers too are faring poorly due to this continued run of poor sales. It has settled at 60% of the earlier values and is almost resigned to that level.
Add to that, they also increased (doubled!) the dealer margin to 5% from 2.5% in July this year - to retain them.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 16:31   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Well, share prices are not always a very good gauge for company performance, especially in India where markets seem to over react to every blip.

Financially, TML is doing pretty well. Their high margin overseas business ie JLR which contributes more than half of their entire revenue is going great and generating damn good profits. Its also on a strong growth path, and has lined up all necessary investments for future growth without the parent company having to help out much. In fact, JLR has already started pumping back money into TML which could now be used to help improve the Indian business.

The commercial vehicle business, their second biggest money earner, is doing as best as it can in what is one of the worst down turns in the CV market. The CV side is also ready and poised to launch a slew of products and seem pretty ready to take on further challenges.

Its only their passenger car business that is suffering. But as this is only about 15% of their business by revenue, its not hurting the company too much, as a whole.

Even in the passenger car business, the new management seems to have settled down, and seems to have a handle on the issues. Unfortunately, none of those issues have any short term, quick fix solutions. Thus the only thing to do is ride out this bad patch, with discounts and facelifts. What they need is a completely new product portfolio, which will hopefully leave behind all the baggage that has been hampering sales like poor quality control, some design issues, product positioning mistakes, lack of exciting products, lots of sales and after sales issues etc.

Last edited by julupani : 7th October 2013 at 16:33.
julupani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 16:40   #1670
Senior - BHPian

I am personally very happy with the Storme, my first Tata Motors product. I am also very happy with National Autowheels, my first and only experience of a Tata delership and service center. I am a Tata boy, always will be at heart. Its in my genes. So I guess I am biased! Unabashedly so.
Old 7th October 2013, 20:50   #1671
BHPian

Quote:
I am personally very happy with the Storme, my first Tata Motors product. I am also very happy with National Autowheels, my first and only experience of a Tata delership and service center. I am a Tata boy, always will be at heart. Its in my genes. So I guess I am biased! Unabashedly so.
I agree to that one and to add to it I am very much enjoying the exclusivity. IMO people are refraining from storme because of tata image and hence not every Tom, d*** and Harry is going around in one, unlike the duster, xuv, ecosport etc.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 15:09   #1672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Looks like they are following the Aria model. Launch the product at an exorbitant price, then offer permanent 1 lakh plus discounts.

They should learn Mahindra. XUV was launched at a mouth watering price and they kept sneaking in price increases after the product was a roaring success.
True. XUV W6 launched at 10.8lakhs ex-showroom Delhi. Current list price is 12.01lakhs ! Even if you factor a discount of around 10-20k, prices have gone up substantially since launch ( which was not very long back )

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
I agree to that one and to add to it I am very much enjoying the exclusivity. IMO people are refraining from storme because of tata image and hence not every Tom, d*** and Harry is going around in one, unlike the duster, xuv, ecosport etc.
- a few have even asked me where I got my "Safari" modded !

Point is people hardly know such a vehicle exists.

So apart from TML having priced the car wrongly, atleast now I dont know what stops them from aggressively marketing the car ( and that doesnt mean putting up funny ads on TV ) but a whole lot of other activities to build awareness so that atleast a part of the Scorpio crowd can be aware such a competent vehicle exists.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 09:39   #1673

Just got to know from the dealer that the prices of Storme has gone up - in Blr for EX varient on road price difference is 20K.
Old 9th October 2013, 19:11   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anishaug View Post
Just got to know from the dealer that the prices of Storme has gone up - in Blr for EX varient on road price difference is 20K.
Again a proof of poor planning on TATAs part, as the festive season is flooded with discounts and offers. M&M's launching of XUV W4 may further eat into Storme sales.
I still think the effective price (after discounts) won't go up for another few months.
Old 9th October 2013, 20:58   #1675
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The discount will also be increased so net net, I think one can still save money.
Old 10th October 2013, 09:47   #1676
BANNED

Here is the current price break up that I got yesterday for a friend who is buying an EX.

Prerana Motors- 11.4 lac ex showroom.

KHT Motors- 11.59 lac ex showroom.

Concorde Motors-11.38 lac ex showroom.

The on road price is around 14.25 without any discounts and around 13.9 with the current discounts.
Old 10th October 2013, 12:42   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Even the dealer here in Gurgaon told me that I was lucky to have booked my storme last month as the prices have been increased by around 16K for the EX model. However, the Tata motors website is still showing the old prices for Gurgaon.
Old 10th October 2013, 14:04   #1678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Here is the current price break up that I got yesterday for a friend who is buying an EX.

Prerana Motors- 11.4 lac ex showroom.

KHT Motors- 11.59 lac ex showroom.

Concorde Motors-11.38 lac ex showroom.

The on road price is around 14.25 without any discounts and around 13.9 with the current discounts.
Man I got my EX for 12.5 Lacs on road as a company purchase. Which means as an individual, one could have got it then for 11.5 Lacs on road. This was in March (just the day before the new SUV tax). Surely the prices cannot have increased 3 Lacs in less than 6 months?
Old 10th October 2013, 14:16   #1679
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man I got my EX for 12.5 Lacs on road as a company purchase. Which means as an individual, one could have got it then for 11.5 Lacs on road. This was in March (just the day before the new SUV tax). Surely the prices cannot have increased 3 Lacs in less than 6 months?
I do know how much is road tax in Pune, but here in bangalore it is 18.7% for cars priced above 10 lakhs. Hence the higher on road price.

It is 15.4 for cars below 10 lakh price
Old 10th October 2013, 14:42   #1680
BANNED

Quote:
Man I got my EX for 12.5 Lacs on road as a company purchase.
What is the current ex showroom price at Pune? Can you please enquire and let me know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I do know how much is road tax in Pune, but here in bangalore it is 18.7% for cars priced above 10 lakhs.
19.98% including surcharge and other taxes.

Most Viewed