Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2013, 10:17   #1801
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I feel using the first technique, can over a period of time, deform the right side quarter section of the seat foam which gets stretched out and again rebounds everytime you slide out. It could also tear off.
@Narayan, this should not be a cocern, really (IMO). The duration when that happens - when you are getting down, is a few seconds each time. You are not sitting in that position /place long enough for a deformation to occur.
Old 11th November 2013, 11:13   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
There is one thing which is bothering me since pas month , when i start the engine in the morning ( cold start), there is a belt noise kinda squeal for a minute or so everyday & after that it vanishes. Just wanted to know why its happening & how it can be resolved.
Ditto on my Storme. Glad (?) to know mine is not the only one. Its only on morning startup and disappears within the first few minutes/kms. So if its a generic design thing, I can live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
when you get out of the beast , do you just turn to your right and slide out of the seat directly reaching out for the ground, OR, you place your right leg on the running board, stand up and then step down ?

reason for asking is : I feel using the first technique, can over a period of time, deform the right side quarter section of the seat foam which gets stretched out and again rebounds everytime you slide out. It could also tear off.

In a sedan/hatch, one doesnt put so much stress on the right side quarter section due to the low slung nature.

Just a small observation..
I slide out directly to the ground. Shorter guys would normally have to jump or reach for the foot board. The right edge of the driver seat takes a beating in all cars, not just SUVs. My 8 year old Baleno's right edge also is more fllattened, and the art leather (top line MGA supplied Autoform) has many creases. Just above that on the seat back there is a place where the top layer has eroded away - that is the place where the rivets on the back pockets of your jeans always rub while getting in and out of the car.
Old 14th November 2013, 08:14   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is a standard feature on most TML vehicles. My friend's Storme, which is a week old has the issue.

It is because of the cogged belt that TML uses. In fact, a lot of Jeeps in small towns too have the same issue. Nothing to worry, think of it as the Storme brushing its teeth before it moves out to the road..!!
''Storme brushing its teeth'', this statement has really made my day , now i have started loving that sound as if its my sweethearts morning yawn before moving on to the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Ditto on my Storme. Glad (?) to know mine is not the only one. Its only on morning startup and disappears within the first few minutes/kms. So if its a generic design thing, I can live with it.
Thanks ebonho glad to know our rides share the same. Yes i too can hopefully live with it now.
Old 14th November 2013, 13:02   #1804
BHPian

Have been busy for last 15 days or so searching for a plot for investment. In this while I have travelled for approximately 40-50kms daily on roads which were more like dirt tracks through farms or were under construction. Thankfully I never got in a situation that my 4x2 lx couldn't get me out of.
I have to say I am truly impressed by the ground clearance, articulation, suspension, level of comfort and the way it handled all that. Never felt tired and it gave me a lot of confidence to go anywhere on those roads(or no roads) without even looking at the dips or humps or whats coming our way.
And I could easily do decent speeds (appx 80 kmph) on some of the levelled dirt stretches where 100/200 ft roads are proposed.
loved the dust storm in the rvm's.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 23:17   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Let me hit the nail on the head.

Will you buy the Storme over the Scorpio?

Will you buy the Storme over the XUV?
I have been toying with the idea of getting a Storme as a replacement for my ageing 7 year old Aveo. To answer your questions:
1. Storme over Scorpio? Yes. Since the Scorpio ride is nothing short of horrible and handling is scary. In contrast, the Storme is leagues ahead.
2. Storme over XUV? Yes. Since the XUV feels cramped and stuffy inside. Also, being a body on frame design, the Storme can most definitely take on bad roads for a longer lifespan than the XUV. Even Range Rovers were body on frame designs till the most recent model, so it is meant to last. The latest Range uses very high tech production methods and aluminium members, which, of course, the XUV does not.
Old 15th November 2013, 08:26   #1806
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Since the XUV feels cramped and stuffy inside.
I am surprised that you feel cramped/stuffy in the XUV. As far as space goes, I honestly think XUV has more space than Storme. If not, then maybe on papers & in mm.

XUV is wider as well, whereas, Storme is tall and not as wide.
Old 15th November 2013, 08:41   #1807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I honestly think XUV has more space than Storme. If not, then maybe on papers & in mm.
SHeel, please check post 2 in this thread.

Storme is taller, Wider, heavier
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 08:50   #1808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
SHeel, please check post 2 in this thread.

Storme is taller, Wider, heavier
Thanks for this point out! I was under the impression that XUV has more space, but I think it (XUV) has more usable seating space, no?

Front seats, the Storme wins.
Old 15th November 2013, 08:58   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think it (XUV) has more usable seating space, no?
3rd row -XUV wins hands down

First & Middle - Storme all the way !
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 12:54   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3rd row -XUV wins hands down

First & Middle - Storme all the way !
This is the adult way of looking at things. The kids love the 3rd row of the Safari/Storme. Its party time over there. They found the XUV 3rd row very claustrophobic, the Aria 3rd row marginally (very) better. The Xylo has the best 3rd row (zero boot space though) and the Innova the best balance between 3rd row and boot space. The 3rd row on the Force 1 is funny because of the add height of the floor (the boot space is humongous though). The Scorpion frankly fails at the middle row itself, so never got down to even comparing the 3rd row.
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 13:11   #1811
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a quick check yesterday, with 9800 on the odo.

1. The a/c re-circulation flap's sometimes letting in a little more fresh air than required. Flap was found working fine, but under observation.
2. Locking mechanism of the 2nd row seats checked
3. Alignment check
4. A slight noise from the clutch pedal (not the clutch - the clutch operation was fine).

All well.

Quote:
This is the adult way of looking at things. The kids love the 3rd row of the Safari/Storme. Its party time over there. .
Yes - sitting facing each other to create some hungama
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 20:38   #1812
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The Scorpion frankly fails at the middle row itself, so never got down to even comparing the 3rd row.
Very True. Exepting for the MUV cateogry (Xylo, Innova, Aria) etc, the front facing Third row of most mid size SUVs except for Pajero Sport/Fortuner is practically useless.

When I bought a new Scorpio mhawk 4wd in 2010, besides the 1.5 lakh price difference, the front facing third row was the main reason, I picked it over the Safari VX 4WD. But I soon found out how flawed the Scorpio interiors are. The Third row ended up removed from the vehicle and kept in the garage. If the third row had to be used, the middle row, where I usually sat had to be moved all the way forward without any leg room.

Eventually I would just throw a mattress at the back with third row removed and kids would have ball just playing there. So, I too agree that best to go for side facing seats and keep them folded as they are best used for short trips.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 08:04   #1813
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, what's the correct idling rpm ?
Old 17th November 2013, 00:05   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, what's the correct idling rpm ?
Mine idles at around 900 after the engine has warmed up properly. A funny thing I have noticed nowadays when it's cold in Delhi, on 1st start the rpm fluctuates quite a lot between 900 and 1K.
Old 17th November 2013, 07:53   #1815
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
on 1st start the rpm fluctuates quite a lot between 900 and 1K.
That is for initial warming up as programmed in ECU. Even my Linea's RPM goes above 1,000 for a few seconds, and then, settles at 900.

Quote:
what's the correct idling rpm ?
900. My Linea's and Thunderbird 500's idling RPM is 900. Even my previous vehicles, MS Versa/Omni had the same idling RPM.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th November 2013 at 07:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks