Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2013, 13:21   #1891
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I am taking my beast tomorow to the dealer to recheck on the seat belt squirrel squeak
They have no solution for that as its a fiber part and you cannot lube it. The only solution is what we Storme drivers have discovered ourselves through trial and error a long time ago.

And that is, lower the seat belt height by a notch till the height adjuster (offending squirrel) it is just a little over your shoulder level. That works .... almost.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 13:51   #1892
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I never abuse any vehicle of mine, bike or car or cycle.
If that is the case, the issue must be investigated, thoroughly.
Quote:
But what happens when the new part is an improved version of the old part
Unless the manufacturer regards this warranty replacement as an improved part or an official recall is issued, you cannot claim replacement for a pair. However, if you are interested in maintaining shock absorbers of the same age on all four wheels, you can buy one and have them replace it. A forum member gd_1418 did this for his Scorpio LX 4wd ball joint.
Quote:
I have a feeling the 4x4's because of their added weight and their transmission needs have better/sturdier coil springs, and they are thus probably now replacing the 4x2 ones also with the same.
Since you are in the middle of this, can you please check and post the part numbers of the springs of the 4WD and the 2WD variants? IF the replacement springs are from the 4WD versions, it clarifies it easily.

Quote:
That is indeed sad if true. I still love my Storme, but this shocker issue has unnerved me. Sure Tata are great with waranty replacement issues and all. Its the day my warranty ends that is causing me goosebumps now ......
Don't worry, it is nothing that major. If these replacement shock absorbers do not work, you will, at the most, need to invest in a pair of shock absorbers from Tein or Bilstein costing around 40k for a set of 4.

Quote:
How can these leakage issues not have happened then? Why only now? Has something changed in the interim? Vendor? Material? Specs?
How consistent. No?

Quote:
One thing I have heard ( from a vendor ) and recently read in another TML thread on their vendor management policies is that when it comes to actual parts procurement, TML procurement team is amongst the worst in the industry.
Yes, this "Was" correct. However, things are changing and will only get better with some time given to them. Horizonnext is not merely a word. It has a lot going for it and being done at all levels, but TML is an elephant, like any other auto major, and changes will take some time.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 14:04   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
If that is the case, the issue must be investigated, thoroughly.
Investigated how? What do you suggest? I don't think anyone is planning any investigation. It is being taken as yet another Storme with leaky shockers, and the only reason they have not replaced under warranty up till now is because of the added need to procure the additional coils. Once they do that they will fit and give the truck back to me to drive and keep an eye on the shockers whenever the truck goes back to them. Anything else you are thinking of or would like to suggest?

Quote:
Unless the manufacturer regards this warranty replacement as an improved part or an official recall is issued, you cannot claim replacement for a pair. However, if you are interested in maintaining shock absorbers of the same age on all four wheels, you can buy one and have them replace it. A forum member gd_1418 did this for his Scorpio LX 4wd ball joint.
Understood. If they do not agree, I would prefer going that route. As a biker, I just cannot wrap my head around two of my fork legs or two of my rear shockers being different ages. Don't think cars should be that much different.

Quote:
Since you are in the middle of this, can you please check and post the part numbers of the springs of the 4WD and the 2WD variants? IF the replacement springs are from the 4WD versions, it clarifies it easily.
I will try and get this info, and report it here.

Quote:
Don't worry, it is nothing that major. If these replacement shock absorbers do not work, you will, at the most, need to invest in a pair of shock absorbers from Tein or Bilstein costing around 40k for a set of 4.
What do a set of 4 stock Safari/Storme ones cost? I know that most Safari guys change their bushes at around 50,000 kms and that costs around 25k for the lot?

Quote:
How consistent. No?
Yeah.

Quote:
Yes, this "Was" correct. However, things are changing and will only get better with some time given to them. Horizonnext is not merely a word. It has a lot going for it and being done at all levels, but TML is an elephant, like any other auto major, and changes will take some time.
No doubt about it whatsoever. I am a die-hard Tata loyalist. I am a Tata boy having grown up in Jamshedpur, with dad a lifelong TISCO guy, and brother with Tata Sons, sister at one time TCS. I can never lose faith with this great company that has given our country so much.
Old 17th December 2013, 15:13   #1894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath
.., the issue must be investigated, thoroughly.
Hey - I smell a journalist around here

Quote:
Investigated how? What do you suggest? I don't think anyone is planning any investigation.
Not required, doc. A problem had been identified some 6-7 months back, and many Stormes have got this replacement. They are putting in the S/A of the 4x4 variant.

Quote:
I am a die-hard Tata loyalist. I am a Tata boy having grown up in Jamshedpur, with dad a lifelong TISCO guy, and brother with Tata Sons, sister at one time TCS. I can never lose faith with this great company that has given our country so much.

Not had anyone in Tata like you did, but so what ? Grew up seeing Tata vehicles and happy with our fourth Tata, almost 2.4L km in 13 years now.

Not every one has to like a Mahindra, do they ?
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 16:56   #1895
BHPian

My rear shock absorber is also leaking which I found when I took my UFO for alignment. Had taken it to tass yesterday only, got a similar reply, that they don't have rear assembly which will be replaced and I should get in touch by Friday. The ODO stands at around 21500 and I have driven it on almost every possible surface, be it good/bad/under-construction/no road.

Doc, we must tell each other about the problems we are facing, they come approximately at the same time on our twins.

Hand Brake is a problem which keeps bugging me as I park on our ramp daily. I mean I can literally push my storme with handbrake locked.
Whenever I complain comes a standard reply from TASS, all stormes have it. Then I have to haggle them again by telling, that this is no excuse to not tighten it.

Seat belt noise, as doc explained can be cured by lowering it by a notch.
Rear door rattle, have found a "Jugaad" on another thread, will try it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-here-186.html post 2788.

Last edited by stormerider : 17th December 2013 at 17:00.
stormerider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 17:01   #1896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
My rear shock absorber is also leaking which I found when I took my UFO for alignment. Had taken it to tass yesterday only, got a similar reply, that they don't have rear assembly which will be replaced and I should get in touch by Friday.
Doc, we must tell each other about the problems we are facing, they come approximately at the same time on our twins.
LOL its uncanny isn't it!

Bluetooth issues yet?

Replacement of headlight assembly?

Replacement of display console (entire thing - speedo, tacho, the lot)?
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 17:10   #1897
BHPian

Got my beast home today! Loved the 350 Km drive from the dealer to my place. The truck does have a smooth ride!

The best part of the journey was when I had stopped to stretch my legs. A man walked up to me and after enquiring if the Storme was mine asked the golden question: " Milage kya hai?"
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 17:10   #1898
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Neel. Welcome to the club! May our tribe grow.
Old 17th December 2013, 17:19   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Got my beast home today! Loved the 350 Km drive from the dealer to my place. The truck does have a smooth ride!

The best part of the journey was when I had stopped to stretch my legs. A man walked up to me and after enquiring if the Storme was mine asked the golden question: " Milage kya hai?"
Congratulations on your new ride. Wish you many happy miles!
Mileage- don't bother!

Quote:
LOL its uncanny isn't it!

Bluetooth issues yet?

Replacement of headlight assembly?

Replacement of display console (entire thing - speedo, tacho, the lot)?
1. Bluetooth checked by TASS once and still the same problem as yours! Have stopped using it and went back to my good old Plantronics Discovery 975.
2. Headlight had changed at around the same time and we had discussed it on this thread.
3. The remote is also moody, works when it wants to.
Have found the Head Unit's searching problem also, and a jugaad solution to it is take out the pen drive and add/remove a song/folder, it works again.

Display console's working fine, fingers crossed!

Last edited by stormerider : 17th December 2013 at 17:21.
stormerider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 17:27   #1900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got my beast home today!
Congrats ! Wishing you a long, happy ownership .. many each new mile lead to another smile !

Quote:
the best part of the journey was when I had stopped to stretch my legs. A man walked up to me and after enquiring if the Storme was mine asked the golden question: " Milage kya hai?"
My answer to such people:
"bhai saab, yeh mat poocho ki kitna deti hai .. Yeh poocho ki Kya deti hai ! "

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
3. The remote is also moody, works when it wants to.
Please check if the receiving sensor for the remote is a small bulb-like thing, at the end of a wire. You will need to pull out the HU for that. If yes, then position that part in a less hidden area (though still behind the HU).
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 18:17   #1901
BHPian

Guys, how does one determine the actual age of the vehicle from the VIN No? And can one insist on getting a vehicle from the latest lot from the factory? I want to know this info before I decide to book one (Storme).
Old 18th December 2013, 18:21   #1902
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, there is a easier way.

When driving, we keep the hand-brake dis-engaged. In this position, the grip of the hand-brake is horizontal. Hold the remote parallel to the grip of the hand-brake. The remote works for me every time when used this way.

condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 18:33   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Guys, how does one determine the actual age of the vehicle from the VIN No? And can one insist on getting a vehicle from the latest lot from the factory? I want to know this info before I decide to book one (Storme).
Get the VIN and post it in this thread to get details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...e-vin-111.html
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 20:20   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
As already guided by latheesh you can go through the thread. There are vin decoders also available online.

You can always insist on a vehicle from latest lot. Like in my case I had booked in December last year specifically asking for a 2013 manufactured vehicle. That meant i had to wait till february for the colour and trim of my choice.

Just make sure to mention at time of giving advance and take it in writing on the booking form from the dealer.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 20:52   #1905
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I don't understand how 3+ years of hard testing by Tata these shocker leakage issues never happened, and how only customers of the commercial lot vehicles are getting these leakage complaints?.
The reason maybe that for the prototypes, the vendor selects a good part to give to Tata so as not to tarnish their image, but once production starts, they just send the whole box over knowing very well about Tata's QA/QC policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, the quality of the so called millions of km of "field testing" is the same, for most Indian Cos', be it the Thar or the Storme, such issues are always brought up by the real users/end customers.
Hasn't this been Tata's story for a while now? The 2.2 VVTI was launced in late 2007. Three years later, there is an update to the Timing belt system. Things like Timing belt in a DOHC engine is not rocket science.

Quote:
One thing I have heard ( from a vendor ) and recently read in another TML thread on their vendor management policies is that when it comes to actual parts procurement, TML procurement team is amongst the worst in the industry.
A failure of part in a auto can be contributed to a two main reasons. One is a failure of design and the other failure of QC/QA.

Without doubt. If you look at most of the issues, that Tata owners face, most of them are due to sub-standard parts sourced from Vendors. Only a handful of issues can be classified as a design flaw.

Design flaws tend to come up when the vehicle is being tested over 1000s of kilometers, but QA/QC problems will surface mostly when the vehicle goes into production.

I once met this person who supplies rubber components to Tata. He also told me that Tata pays very poorly for parts hence they are forced to provide lower quality parts as they have to compete only on price.

The same vendor is forced to make a higher quality part for Maruti else they will get kicked out.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks