Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 11:38   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
Hi Tanveer,

Once again, thanks a lot for the great review. Can I request you to also post your comments on the percieved, felt and actual safety capability of the Storme vis-a-vis its competition (Duster, XUV, Yeti, Rexton)
You cannot judge safety by feel. A tank like vehicle may feel very safe, but if it does not have crumple zones, it will just lead in more injuries in case of accident. So without NCAP ratings available, its hard to tell

Quote:
Despite all niggles reported, one of the main reasons I think the XUV is very impressive is because of its safety features. It scored a 4 star in ANCAP and that says Mahindra is serious about this aspect as well. Wonder what folks in Tata motors think about this aspect?
Tata has an in house crash test facility, so I do not expect the Storme to score very badly. For example Aria 4x4 does very well(but the 4x2 does not!)
Old 20th December 2012, 13:19   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
Hi ,

Just got the news that Tata is developing new dash for Tata Safari storme. if the news is true, its a good move. The source is IndianAutosBlog.com

http://indianautosblog.com/2012/12/t...n-system-57771
The source

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...scoop-9412.htm

But then if they are working in it why now. Dint they know that they are already late? And a new dash by mid 2013? What about people who are buying now?
A new dash will also need to have new AC vent location etc too.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 13:53   #213
Senior - BHPian

Great review once again!
The storme looks capable and I'm sure that this will not disappoint off road enthusiasts.
But Tata never seems to learn from their mistakes. Take the vista, it is a capable no-nonsense hatchback. But in terms of design its too close to the taxi indica and that is now the reason for it not being able to sell in more numbers. With the safari, the exterior design is almost identical to the earlier 15 year old model. Now why couldnt have tata pushed the envelope in design is beyond my reasoning. I'm not saying the car is a bad looker, but will the design even last 4-5 years, considering auto manufacturers opt for shorter product cycles these days.
I appreciate what they did with the Aria, but with the storme it has been a very lazy approach. Even the interiors should have been much better. Integrated 2 din audio systems have become the norm with even 5 lakh cars now, heck even the i10 has it! And most 10-15 lakh cars now get touch screen systems etc, but in the storme you will have to live the single din audio system. Yes, people may argue that this is a offroader and hence purists may not be bothered about such things etc, but when every other car has better interiors than the storme, how is it justified?
I wonder who is the target audience though, politicians have long moved on to fortuners. Apart from 4x4 enthusiasts this mammoth of a vehicle which does not look refreshing enough does not make sense to me.

Last edited by motorworks : 20th December 2012 at 13:54.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 22:56   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Great review once again!
The storme looks capable and I'm sure that this will not disappoint off road enthusiasts.
But Tata never seems to learn from their mistakes. Take the vista, it is a capable no-nonsense hatchback. But in terms of design its too close to the taxi indica and that is now the reason for it not being able to sell in more numbers. With the safari, the exterior design is almost identical to the earlier 15 year old model. Now why couldnt have tata pushed the envelope in design is beyond my reasoning. I'm not saying the car is a bad looker, but will the design even last 4-5 years, considering auto manufacturers opt for shorter product cycles these days.
I appreciate what they did with the Aria, but with the storme it has been a very lazy approach. Even the interiors should have been much better. Integrated 2 din audio systems have become the norm with even 5 lakh cars now, heck even the i10 has it! And most 10-15 lakh cars now get touch screen systems etc, but in the storme you will have to live the single din audio system. Yes, people may argue that this is a offroader and hence purists may not be bothered about such things etc, but when every other car has better interiors than the storme, how is it justified?
I wonder who is the target audience though, politicians have long moved on to fortuners. Apart from 4x4 enthusiasts this mammoth of a vehicle which does not look refreshing enough does not make sense to me.
Motorworks, completely agree with your view !!
Regarding 4X4 enthusiasts, I being a safari owner myself, I doubt the off roading capabilities of this vehicle given that it weighs over 2 tonnes :( . Also, pure 4X4 enthusiasts will go for a jeep anyday given its shorter chasis and over hang. A safari even with let's say 5 people on board is a nightmare for off roading, given the weight. So, overall it appears like waste of time and money investing in the storme..... Had it been a proper 7 seater with front facing seats and with good interiors, improved braking and no rattle vehicle.... It would have been a success !!
power ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 12:29   #215
BHPian

Hi,
From a reliable source I came to know that Storme Kerala launch is tomorrow at concord motors, Eranakulam
g_prajeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 15:20   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Another classic from the brand! Sets your heart racing!

swiftnfurious is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 18:47   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Was waiting till the end to see if the ad had the Tata UV advert tradition of having a jump and landing hard.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 11:40   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Another classic from the brand! Sets your heart racing!

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=66Xzn9WGB8M

The ad just makes a case for the nimble dirt bike, over buying a big fat bouncy Safari for all your off roading fantasies!

No Seriously, hadnt it occured to me before, the enduro bike seems like it could be so much more fun!
bobbafett is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:29   #219
BHPian

This is going to be but since we spend so much time lampooning TML, I thought we should also note their good deeds. I have just cancelled my booking for the Storme due to launch delays and timing issues. My SE though disheartened took it sportingly. He not only got the cancellation fee waived but took the trouble to deposit the cheque in the nearby HDFC bank. The full amount of Rs 51K was smoothly transferred to my account. My salute and thanks to my SE and TML.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:32   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The source

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...scoop-9412.htm

But then if they are working in it why now. Dint they know that they are already late? And a new dash by mid 2013? What about people who are buying now?
A new dash will also need to have new AC vent location etc too.

Jay Kay,

A 2-DIN touch-screen HU with GPS functionality(according to the link) can hardly be termed as a new dashboard! By that definition, I am planning to install a new dashboard for my Swift over the next month.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 11:29   #221
BHPian

Storme reached Prerna motors stockyard....after pdi it wil reach showroom by evening or tomorrow. Guys u can check and upload more info.
kdeepakk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 11:49   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it was expected at Prerana stockyard, but will not go to showroom for another 10 days / 2 weeks atleast. It will only come at the time of launch.
Old 24th December 2012, 13:48   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
The ad just makes a case for the nimble dirt bike, over buying a big fat bouncy Safari for all your off roading fantasies!

No Seriously, hadnt it occured to me before, the enduro bike seems like it could be so much more fun!
1) You need a bike like that; available here other than Impulse?
2) You certainly need lot of ... courage to ride like that

In short, its easier to do that in the Safari ( or any other SUV) rather than on a bike unless you are experienced. More comfortable too and you can have passengers.

Carry a bike with you, do the circus and pack it back and go home.

I would really like to inspect that Safari in the video!.

Storme is here at Trivandrum with Mohandas motors as per their ad in todays paper.
Old 24th December 2012, 14:03   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
1) You need a bike like that; available here other than Impulse?
2) You certainly need lot of ... courage to ride like that
Agreed on both points.Courage + fitness is definitely a pre-requisite for mountain/dirt biking.

With Bajaj's ever flourishing partnership with KTM, I think such bikes are not for from being available in India.
Old 26th December 2012, 11:36   #225
BHPian

Just came across this. It says the Storme will have a 10 speaker Harman - Kardon music system , alongwith the touch screen Navigation. Also mentions about a 6 speed auto for the storme.
Source :- http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...usive-9434.htm
em17 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks