Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2014, 15:17   #2356
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

All
Modification 2 complete over the weekend. I managed to put in some DRLs into the vehicle. I did not like the one's that Philips comes out with which hangs on the fender. It looked tacky somehow. So got some tube based DRL which can be introduced into the HL unit itself. This however means that the HL assembly needs to be opened up and then the whole unit needs to be heated to remove the seals and then the DRL needs to be fitted in.
There are 3 fittings in total. The HL unit being the first one that needs to be taken out. Then the reflectors are attached to the glass casing and that needs to be taken out. The DRL sits in the reflector as the space in the glass sleeve is not much and the unit does not close well.
Took the guys close to 6 hours to do both the lights. There was 42 screws on the right side that need to be removed and 36 on the left to take the HL unit out. Not sure if they knew how to take it out though easier than that.
I added the DRL to the ignition so that it starts off as soon as you turn on the ignition. The DRL comes with 2 colors. The running light is white and the second color Orange is connected to the indicators.
After effect of it is as below. I couldnt get a better picture out as the lights were glaring the image badly. Let me know your thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20140309_018.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20140309_023.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20140309_024.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20140309_028.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20140309_029.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20140309_030.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20140309_031.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20140309_032.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20140309_033.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20140309_041.jpg  

subraiyr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 16:22   #2357
Senior - BHPian

subraiyr - this looks good but the process looks very cumbersome. what was the damage in terms of cost ? hope no impact on warranty
Old 10th March 2014, 17:00   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
subraiyr - this looks good but the process looks very cumbersome. what was the damage in terms of cost ? hope no impact on warranty
Warranty is a big question. Obviously by removing the casing and adding additional wiring to the electrical system, the warranty would stand void as per legal terms. However, i guess if the issues are minor and you have a good rapport with the service station, you can manage it. I dont see too much of issues coming up excepting for bulbs giving up or the HL unit breaking due to external issues.
As for the cost, this set me aside by 6300 including equipment and labour. I was quoted 5500 for the lights and 2500 for labour, but when i got the bill it bit down to 6300. This included changing the parking bulbs to LED. I dint negotiate. I guess it was thanks to Team-BHP stickers
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 17:28   #2359
BHPian

Hey Stormers,
Was wondering if it is possible to get a steering mounted remote for the Alpine HU.Saw a couple of threads in the Forum with an Universal learning remote which works with IR.Anyone using anything like these currently.? Online I can find only Pioneer SR 100 strap on remote.Not sure if it will work with Alpine. I simply can't stay on the same FM station and hence willing to trade a little protrusive discomfort for convenience.
Old 10th March 2014, 17:42   #2360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Hey Stormers,
Was wondering if it is possible to get a steering mounted remote for the Alpine HU.Saw a couple of threads in the Forum with an Universal learning remote which works with IR.Anyone using anything like these currently.? Online I can find only Pioneer SR 100 strap on remote.Not sure if it will work with Alpine. I simply can't stay on the same FM station and hence willing to trade a little protrusive discomfort for convenience.
@Vignesh - Wouldnt it be nearly the same amount of work to use the steering mounted remote unless it is completely integrated. Even then, you can still use your left hand from the gear shift to quickly flip across stations as long as it is present. Else, the stalk has a seek function. I havent come across steering mounted remotes unless of course you want to wondertape the normal remote.
Old 10th March 2014, 18:07   #2361
BHPian

My doubt rose when I bumped on this old thread,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...e-control.html
Old 10th March 2014, 18:54   #2362
Senior - BHPian

I was just checking the TML website and noticed that not only the the music system missing from the Storme, but even the VX now comes with Fabric seats- no more leather- so TML has effectively saved 30 K in costs for each VX trim storme....Cmon Tata- don't be such a cheapskate!
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 19:19   #2363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's my 1 year ownership wish list. Everything else perfect!
One addition from my side is rear blower fan should operate/work without switching on the rear AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Dropped my Storme at Concorde Motors, Mathura Road to fix the door rattle issue today. After the third free service, I almost thought that the rattle was gone. But, it came back at me, with a vengeance like never before, on all 3 rear doors and squeaks got so loud it felt as if the doors will fall apart. These rattles spoil the overall experience of driving an otherwise impressive SUV.
Hi Last week went to Tata ASC for rear door rattling noise, GM Service showed me new storme in the showroom. Apprantely they have redeisgned the rear door latch (4 parts where door sits at bottom and corner)...sorry don't know the names of these parts. He said that this has fixed door rattling issue and he has placed order for these parts, once received he will replace and this should fix the noise issue.

Keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for the the parts to come. Once installed will share the experience.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th March 2014 at 07:54. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
sunit5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 20:47   #2364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Warranty is a big question. Obviously by removing the casing and adding additional wiring to the electrical system, the warranty would stand void as per legal terms. However, i guess if the issues are minor and you have a good rapport with the service station, you can manage it. I dont see too much of issues coming up excepting for bulbs giving up or the HL unit breaking due to external issues.
The lights look very nice. But just so you know, there are at least two Stormes here on Team BHP, mine and Storemrider's, which had the entire assembly changed in warranty for internal fogging and condensation. Very early on in our ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I was just checking the TML website and noticed that not only the the music system missing from the Storme, but even the VX now comes with Fabric seats- no more leather- so TML has effectively saved 30 K in costs for each VX trim storme....Cmon Tata- don't be such a cheapskate!
The HU is around 20K from what I heard from the Alpine dealer in Pune. The price differential between VX and EX seats (only the leather upholstery) is around 45K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
One addition from my side is rear blower fan should operate/work without switching on the rear AC.
Sunit, can you please explain why this would be important? Oftentimes the kids leave the A/c blower on at the back. This way, even solo (on way to office next morning), I can control and put it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
Hi Last week went to Tata ASC for rear door rattling noise, GM Service showed me new storme in the showroom. Apprantely they have redeisgned the rear door latch (4 parts where door sits at bottom and corner)...sorry don't know the names of these parts. He said that this has fixed door rattling issue and he has placed order for these parts, once received he will replace and this should fix the noise issue.

Keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for the the parts to come. Once installed will share the experience.
These are the door strikers. Were modified and changed early 2013 onwards (my February truck had the new ones). Unless they have been changed once again .....

Last edited by ebonho : 10th March 2014 at 20:50.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 21:27   #2365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
These are the door strikers. Were modified and changed early 2013 onwards (my February truck had the new ones). Unless they have been changed once again .....
Could you pls post a pic of these strikers. I have a rattling sound from the rear left which I though was the seat but it seems to be the rear left side door although I'm not sure how the door can make this kind of a squeak cum rattle sound. I will have to take this up really strongly in the 3rd service
Old 11th March 2014, 01:27   #2366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a rattling sound from the rear left which I though was the seat but it seems to be the rear left side door although I'm not sure how the door can make this kind of a squeak cum rattle sound.
I was actually referring to the tailgate and not the rear doors. The creaking/squeaking sound goes by door adjustment and some silicone spray they use on the rubber beading of the doors. Pity they cannot do anything about the driver seatbelt adjuster sound. Like a mouse next to your ear.
Old 11th March 2014, 07:02   #2367
BHPian

I have an Oct 2013 Storme and the rear hatch still squeaks. So I don't think they managed to resolve the issue fully. Maybe there are additional improvements done? Would like to get rid of that noise. Also, there is some rattle from within the roof mounted ac. During the last service (Saturday), they seemed to have gotten it fixed. However, yesterday it has started off again. There was an earlier discussion on a home remedy for the rear hatch squeak; anyone able to point it out?
Old 11th March 2014, 07:14   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I have an Oct 2013 Storme and the rear hatch still squeaks. So I don't think they managed to resolve the issue fully. Maybe there are additional improvements done? Would like to get rid of that noise. Also, there is some rattle from within the roof mounted ac. During the last service (Saturday), they seemed to have gotten it fixed. However, yesterday it has started off again. There was an earlier discussion on a home remedy for the rear hatch squeak; anyone able to point it out?

Hi sasi, where do you for servicing of the storme.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:09   #2369
BHPian

I have been only to Concorde Mathura Rd. so far (1500km and 5000km). There is a company called Delta very near my house in Sec56 Gurgaon, but I haven't checked them out yet.
Old 11th March 2014, 15:48   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
I have a rattling sound from the rear left which I though was the seat but it seems to be the rear left side door although I'm not sure how the door can make this kind of a squeak cum rattle sound. I will have to take this up really strongly in the 3rd service
I just identified that the black rubber stopper for each door can be adjusted simply by turning it clockwise / counterclockwise. Made some adjustments myself and the sound is less now.
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks