Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2014, 16:15   #2371
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

In the 2.2 Dicor, the tail gate squeaking issue can be fixed by wrapping some insulation/duct tape on the latch. Credit should go to BulZire:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3311393

I can vouch for this fix. A friend of mine has a September 2012 Dicor, and the tail gate used to squeak like anything. After this quick fix, all the rattles have vanished. The tail gate does not squeak anymore. (But the effort required to open the tail gate increases). Heres a picture of what I had done:

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20140106_085028_aalokgaitonde.jpg

Will this fix work with the Storme too ?
aalokg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 16:54   #2372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
In the 2.2 Dicor, the tail gate squeaking issue can be fixed by wrapping some insulation/duct tape on the latch. Credit should go to BulZire:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3311393

I can vouch for this fix. A friend of mine has a September 2012 Dicor, and the tail gate used to squeak like anything. After this quick fix, all the rattles have vanished. The tail gate does not squeak anymore. (But the effort required to open the tail gate increases). Heres a picture of what I had done:

Will this fix work with the Storme too ?
Hi,

I have Sep 2013 Storme, and facing the tail gate noise (cant call it squeak) since begining, after many visits still remains. Just saw change in design in shape of striker in Feb 2014 Storme, awaiting for the same and hoping it will fix this.

I have tried duct tape, noise is less but it is still there and now only I can open the tailgate door...needs lots of efforts to open or close it.

Regarding rear blower (minus AC), I feel the need some times when front AC is enough for middle row, one just needs the blower to blow out air.
Old 12th March 2014, 10:47   #2373
BHPian

Am at the Tata motors facility at Pimpri. Saw a storme with bumpers like the safari LX (grey and not body coloured). Are they launching a stripped down version?
storme'd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 11:06   #2374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Am at the Tata motors facility at Pimpri. Saw a storme with bumpers like the safari LX (grey and not body coloured). Are they launching a stripped down version?
If you check out the storme user manual, there is reference to non ABS brakes and LPSV at the rear axle. So I guess, they may launch a stripped down non abs version sitting below the LX to take on the base version of scorpio.
Old 12th March 2014, 13:27   #2375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
In the 2.2 Dicor, the tail gate squeaking issue can be fixed by wrapping some insulation/duct tape on the latch. A friend of mine has a September 2012 Dicor, and the tail gate used to squeak like anything. After this quick fix, all the rattles have vanished. The tail gate does not squeak anymore. (But the effort required to open the tail gate increases). Will this fix work with the Storme too ?
Dear aalokg - this fix has worked on the rear seat backrest anchorage points of the Maruti 800 for more than 25 years now, almost all Maruti 800 cars used to have this thingy done to them. I used this fix in my Maruti 800 for 1,88,000 kms. I used to change the tape once a year, just before the monsoon, no squeaks whatsoever! Enjoy! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 14:56   #2376
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear aalokg - this fix has worked on the rear seat backrest anchorage points of the Maruti 800 for more than 25 years now, almost all Maruti 800 cars used to have this thingy done to them. I used this fix in my Maruti 800 for 1,88,000 kms. I used to change the tape once a year, just before the monsoon, no squeaks whatsoever! Enjoy! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Are you recommending this to fix rattles from a 2012 launch Car, in 2014 ?
Old 12th March 2014, 18:31   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
The same was done on the right side seat backrest anchor/lock post in my Storme too by the National service crew. Probably unthinkingly based on years of experience with the Dicor.

Till I looked at the problem myself and suggested a much more elegant solution to them - which per their own admission post that time was implemented in many more Stormes that came in with the same complaint (i.e. seat back unlocking and folding when Storme slams over bumps or potholes)

Old 12th March 2014, 19:41   #2378
Senior - BHPian

All Storme owners must have faced the issue where the top part of the rear bumper gets scratched when someone climbs in or while trying to load luggage into the boot. It would have been nice if the manufacturer had given an anti scratch material or finish to counter the problem.
I read about Plastidip here on the forum and tried my hand at DIY, here's a pictorial of the same:

This is the piece of the rear bumper, it can easily be removed by unfastening 6 screws and then disconnecting the reverse sensor connections and a rear view camera if fitted.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-1-1280x768.jpg

After thoroughly cleaning and masking the parts which do not need to be treated, a first coat of Plastidip was applied
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-2-1280x768.jpg

After the second coat (applied after 20mins after initial coat)
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-3-1280x768.jpg

A third and final generous coat applied, this was done after an hour of the second coat was applied
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-4-1280x768.jpg

The piece after it was fitted back on to the car
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-5-1280x768.jpg

This is how it looks from the back now
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-6-1280x768.jpg

I used a can of Clear Plastidip costing about 1150/- per can, (it's in aerosol form so it's very easy to use)there is still some of it left which may be just enough for another coat

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-7-1280x768.jpg

The advantage as I understood after reading material about Plastidip is that it can be peeled off anytime one wants without damaging or altering the original finish, it's a very simple DIY job, the product feels like a rubberised coating on top of the bumper.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 12th March 2014 at 19:42.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 20:43   #2379
BHPian

I have just enquired for the product from Cosmotech in Mumbai (one Mr Gandhi). Could you clarify a couple of things;
1. Does the clear coat show the original colour fully or is it relatively translucent?
2. How much sqft do you think their 311gm can cover?
Old 12th March 2014, 20:50   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Does the clear coat show the original colour fully or is it relatively translucent?
2. How much sqft do you think their 311gm can cover?
1. It's not completely clear, I don't know about how it will look on a white car
2. The can is just about enough for 4 coats of the part shown above if done as recommended by www.dipyourcar.com

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 12th March 2014 at 20:52.
Old 13th March 2014, 05:56   #2381
Distinguished - BHPian

Speedo vs GPS reading

Checked the Speedo for errors by comparing it with the speed on my GPS unit.

Upto 20kmph on Speedo : Speedo shows less than GPS.

Beyond 20 kmph (till about 100 kmph ) - the Speedo is always 4 kmph more than the speed shown on the GPS unit. I did not check beyond 100 kmph in this trip

Last edited by bblost : 13th March 2014 at 08:13.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 09:40   #2382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
The advantage as I understood after reading material about Plastidip is that it can be peeled off anytime one wants without damaging or altering the original finish, it's a very simple DIY job, the product feels like a rubberized coating on top of the bumper.
I was thinking on the same lines so as to protect this part of bumper from scratches, but didn't try Plastidip as I thought that it can get peeled-off too easily. IMHO if the coating gets peeled-off at places on its own (due to rubbing by shoes / luggage) I'd rather not spent on it. But now your experience with Plastidip can help us all.
In particular I'd like to know:
1. Does it stick to the pained surface strongly (i.e. not likely to peel-off with use?
2. Is the surface finish scratch-resistant (rubberized)?
3. Will it spoil the look of Pearl-champagne bumper?

Apart from this, has anybody tried the canned spray paints like this?
http://www.com-paint.com/consumer.aspx

Last edited by YGarg : 13th March 2014 at 09:43. Reason: minor typo error
Old 13th March 2014, 09:52   #2383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Does it stick to the pained surface strongly (i.e. not likely to peel-off with use?
2. Is the surface finish scratch-resistant (rubberized)?
3. Will it spoil the look of Pearl-champagne bumper?
1. Yes, it's adhered quite nicely on the painted surface, it does not look too easy to remove, it looks just like a paint job.
2. The surface feels rubbery to the touch, it feels like a shrink wrap of rubber.
3. My car is Urban Bronze, so the clear plastidip used makes it look matte black now, don't know how it would look on a white surface.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 09:59   #2384
Senior - BHPian

I'm thinking of just getting a strip of that matte black rubberized non skid type of flooring/matting which they use in factories on shop floors and stick it there. Initially I used to make it a point to lift the smaller kids in and out, but have just kind of given up now.
Old 13th March 2014, 10:09   #2385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Dear M35 - I just mentioned a factual statement, that's all. .

Dear Vistasp (ebonho) - thanks a million!

Dear Lukeskywalker - great job there, looks nice and elegant! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks