Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2014, 12:41   #2566
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
But would the aftermarket ones have the heating function ?
A naive question that I've always wondered about - Are the heating coils actually embedded in the mirror glass? Or they are attached on the rear of the glass without actually passing through the glass? Or are they "glued on" on the rear side of the glass like those on rear window de-mister? I've not found a satisfactory answer and design details on the internet through whatever lazy searching I did.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:42   #2567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what about constant niggles, rattles and creaks? Are they not a sore point? The pain of paying so much and yet owning a vehicle that isn't built up to the mark and a company that offers terrible after sales that too in a metro like Bombay.
The Storme is much better in terms of build quality, the so called niggles are usually blown out of proportion by owners and more so by non owners who go by hearsay.
I currently have a Storme that's clocked 8k kms in 3 months and there's absolutely no squeaks, rattles or niggles, I also own a Safari which has run 95k kms in 4.5 years and there too I've not faced unusual issues or breakdowns, I have serviced my vehicles on time and all I can say is that the Safari or Storme is as good as any other large SUV as along as it is maintained properly.
When it comes to unreliable service, there are service centres and there are service centres, one's rapport with the crew there and ability to identify the problem in one's car to pin point faults if any, goes a long way in having a trouble free ownership.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 14:09   #2568
Distinguished - BHPian

@Reinhard, a slight OT, but my 7 year old Sumo was better than my 4 year old Ikon TDCi
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 15:29   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
A naive question that I've always wondered about - Are the heating coils actually embedded in the mirror glass? Or they are attached on the rear of the glass without actually passing through the glass? Or are they "glued on" on the rear side of the glass like those on rear window de-mister
Best way is to break them and find out anyway what I see is a flexible circuit on a plastic piece that's stuck to the back of the glass and wires go in and out of this
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 16:11   #2570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
But what about constant niggles, rattles and creaks? Are they not a sore point? The pain of paying so much and yet owning a vehicle that isn't built up to the mark and a company that offers terrible after sales that too in a metro like Bombay.
I do agree that the squeaks do take away from the ownership experience. My Storme has had its share of squeaks. Initially, it was the rear hatch and eventually all 4 doors started squeaking. I think it is because of my daily route (85km both ways), which consists of approx 14km (both ways) of perennially broken road due to crusher trucks. In fact, I bought the Storme so that I could drive on this road everyday without much care; I changed the suspension of my earlier Aveo 3 times in a year because of this road. Also, I drive over this road at 50-60kmph almost all the time, which I think very few cars can manage. While I agree that a 12-13L vehicle's doors ideally should not squeak, I think any car that's run on a bad road every day at that speed will develop some squeaks.

However, there is nothing else that has rattled, squeaked or broken in the 7000km that I have driven the truck so far. It is built well enough to give you peace of mind over bad roads, deep deep potholes, flooded roads etc. I have cut down 15 minutes (one way) in my daily driving time due to the truck.

Recently, I applied the 'insulation tape' remedy for all the doors and there is absolutely no squeak now. I suspect that the squeak is not really due to bad build but a defect in the design of the internal latch. Otherwise, I cannot explain why simply winding one layer of insulation tape on the little metal 'U' on the door sill resolves the issue. Also, if it recurs, I am quite sure the DIY tape remedy will work again.
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 16:36   #2571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Recently, I applied the 'insulation tape' remedy for all the doors and there is absolutely no squeak now. I suspect that the squeak is not really due to bad build but a defect in the design of the internal latch. Otherwise, I cannot explain why simply winding one layer of insulation tape on the little metal 'U' on the door sill resolves the issue. Also, if it recurs, I am quite sure the DIY tape remedy will work again.
I will need to try this for the rear and last row door

Last edited by narayan : 14th April 2014 at 16:38.
Old 14th April 2014, 19:32   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
A little more info on this please, would be interested in trying this out.
Old 14th April 2014, 20:51   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
A little more info on this please, would be interested in trying this out.
Simply wind some insulation tape on the metal 'U' clamp that's there on each door. For the 4 main doors, one layer will do. Otherwise, it gets too tight and becomes difficult to open. For the rear hatch, I have used 2 layers, as it was still squeaking with one layer. However, opening the hatch will need some strength, especially since there is no handle to pull.
I had done this on the rear hatch a month ago and it is still squeak free. The doors were done about 4-5 days ago. They are under observation right now. :-)

Last edited by sasi405 : 14th April 2014 at 20:53.
Old 15th April 2014, 11:41   #2574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Simply wind some insulation tape on the metal 'U' clamp that's there on each door. For the 4 main doors, one layer will do. Otherwise, it gets too tight and becomes difficult to open. For the rear hatch, I have used 2 layers, as it was still squeaking with one layer...
A pic can speak a thousand words and clarify the questions too. Could we request some pics please?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 00:59   #2575
BHPian

It was already mentioned in this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3388573
Just for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20140106_085028_aalokgaitonde.jpg  

kaymant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 09:39   #2576
BHPian

Finally after dithering for 2 years I went ahead and booked an Urban Bronze VX 4x4.
Hope this lasts -- I am looking at at least 10 years.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 09:59   #2577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Simply wind some insulation tape on the metal 'U' clamp that's there on each door.
I think duct tape would be better than insulation tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Finally after dithering for 2 years I went ahead and booked an Urban Bronze VX 4x4.
Congrats, Chinkara ! Wishing you the best & a long happy ownership. When are you driving into the club ?
Old 17th April 2014, 11:18   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Congrats, Chinkara ! Wishing you the best & a long happy ownership. When are you driving into the club ?
End April / beginning of May.
Old 17th April 2014, 11:39   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow!

If possible, can you PM me the details of on road price, freebies, discounts etc. I want it too.
Old 17th April 2014, 12:11   #2580
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats chinkara. Personal experience and feedback of many others on and off the forum indicate that it is going to last much longer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks