Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 18:55   #2941
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Please do post pics of these, many safari owners will be interested.
will do. What i came to know is that the curtains are different for storme and Dicor since the design of the rubber beading for both is different.
Old 26th June 2014, 20:52   #2942

Thanks for the valuable inputs Stormerider. I also went through Tanveer's detailed review of the Storme 4x4. He has mentioned that the handling of the 4x4 was not as good as the 4x2. In addition,as my wife would also be driving it , would the heavier steering cause any difficulties? Could you do the yellow routes, especially alon pangong tso lake in your 4x2? More importantly, after the 4700 km Cct, do you have any regret of not having bought the 4x4? I do not want to lose out on the ride quality and the handling of the 4x2 which I would be using 99% of the time for the thrill of having a 4x4 (which as per my understanding from your inputs I may not need at all).
Please advise. I would love to go in for the 4x4 if it were not for Tanveer's critical analysis. At the same time, I would be perfectly happy with the 4x2 if it meets my requirements of comfortably doing the yellow routes at least of the leh Cct and light off reading( only when absolutely necessary) as in case of some national parks like Jim Corbett, kazi ranga etc.
Old 26th June 2014, 21:36   #2943
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
uploading a pic of the Storme. Hope it gets uploaded now

Sorry to be late to the party. Congratulations Himanshu for getting a classic cult SUV.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 22:07   #2944
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats buddy. Wish you many happy miles on your truck.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 18:16   #2945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram mehra View Post
Thanks for the valuable inputs Stormerider. I also went through Tanveer's detailed review of the Storme 4x4. He has mentioned that the handling of the 4x4 was not as good as the 4x2. In addition,as my wife would also be driving it , would the heavier steering cause any difficulties? Could you do the yellow routes, especially alon pangong tso lake in your 4x2? More importantly, after the 4700 km Cct, do you have any regret of not having bought the 4x4? I do not want to lose out on the ride quality and the handling of the 4x2 which I would be using 99% of the time for the thrill of having a 4x4 (which as per my understanding from your inputs I may not need at all).
Please advise. I would love to go in for the 4x4 if it were not for Tanveer's critical analysis. At the same time, I would be perfectly happy with the 4x2 if it meets my requirements of comfortably doing the yellow routes at least of the leh Cct and light off reading( only when absolutely necessary) as in case of some national parks like Jim Corbett, kazi ranga etc.
Dear Vikram, I really can't comment on the 4x4 handling as I never had a chance to drive it, so would rely on tanveer's review as it has been the best and most critical and detailed review I came across. As for the routes, yes we did the yellow routes from spangmik to chulshul (were not allowed tsagala despite proper permits). And from Tso moriri to Tso kar and further to pang.
Mild off roaring can be done in 4x2 also, but even after careful driving, there are some situations you might get stuck in. So I still say that extra kit would always be welcome.
On a side note, my wife also drives my storme, but parking it and pulling hand brake is not her cup of tea. It does require a man force!

Last edited by stormerider : 27th June 2014 at 18:17.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 22:33   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Sir, the vehicle looks brilliant in that colour with that nudge guard. Did you get the Touchscreen system from TATA installed?. If yes, does it also get integrated with the stalk on the steering column that has controls for volume and seek?.

I have been wondering what TATA did with the stalk since they do not offer any factory fitted ICE on the 2014 Safari Stormes, must be left as it is (i assume).

Last edited by Vijayraj1890 : 27th June 2014 at 22:36. Reason: Typo
Vijayraj1890 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 22:37   #2947

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Dear Vikram, I really can't comment on the 4x4 handling as I never had a chance to drive it, so would rely on tanveer's review as it has been the best and most critical and detailed review I came across. As for the routes, yes we did the yellow routes from spangmik to chulshul (were not allowed tsagala despite proper permits). And from Tso moriri to Tso kar and further to pang.
Mild off roaring can be done in 4x2 also, but even after careful driving, there are some situations you might get stuck in. So I still say that extra kit would always be welcome.
On a side note, my wife also drives my storme, but parking it and pulling hand brake is not her cup of tea. It does require a man force!
Thanks for the inputs Stormerider.
Its a pity that there aren't any showrooms (at least in NCR) which have a 4x4 available for test drive.

How does one really determine the claimed prowess of the 4x4 without a test drive? No wonder the sales of the 4x4 VX have been so low.

The dealers tell me that I am the first one who has ever asked for a TD and keen to go in for a 4x4. They also tell me that the wait period would be about three to four weeks, whereas the 4x2 could be picked up within a week (depending on the colour).

Though my heart totally goes out for the 4x4, but the dipping sales are making me even more skeptical of taking the plunge. Just by advertising the capabilities of the 4x4, TM isnt acheiving much(i.e. without making the car available to the customers for TD).

Stormerider, you have still not answered whether on your entire Ladakh cct you ever regretted not having gone in for the 4x4 . As of now, what I am made to understand is that for the Ladakh cct, 4x2 is better than the other hatchbacks only by virtue of its Ground Clearence.

Or are there any other features that I am overlooking. I already have a Ford Fusion TDCi, and am amazingly pleased by its performance, quality control, reliability and comfort levels. The only reason that I am wanting to buy the Storme is for its ability to seat > 5 people comfortably and be able to negotiate a bit of 'essential' off roading.

Awaiting your inputs (on each of the queries please).
Old 27th June 2014, 22:44   #2948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayraj1890 View Post
Congratulations Sir, the vehicle looks brilliant in that colour with that nudge guard. Did you get the Touchscreen system from TATA installed?. If yes, does it also get integrated with the stalk on the steering column that has controls for volume and seek?.

I have been wondering what TATA did with the stalk since they do not offer any factory fitted ICE on the 2014 Safari Stormes, must be left as it is (i assume).
thanks Vijay

Yes i got the touchscreen and 4 Balupunkt speakers installed from Tata.

the steering stalk is a dummy now. only used for the indicators.
Old 27th June 2014, 23:35   #2949
BHPian

Quote:
thanks Vijay

Yes i got the touchscreen

Can you please share a pic of the same? It would be very interesting to see the exact placement of the touchscreen.
Old 28th June 2014, 11:51   #2950
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vikram Mehra - from your posts, I understand that you will be driving in the mountains, therefore 4*4 is required. When you will get stuck in the middle of nowhere with no other vehicle in sight, only 4*4 will get you out of trouble. Please believe me, I have got out of numerous situations in numerous locations only because of 4*4, particularly low range.

Using low range with 2.48:1 reduction ratio is an experience that you must go through, you will cherish it forever. It's not only about getting unstuck, the real relevation will come when you interplay the transmission / transfer case combinations to get the exact output performance that you want in a particular terrain, that's what sets 4*4 apart, in a class of its own.

Your call! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 20:49   #2951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaniv14 View Post
Hello to all Safari owners, going by the thread has led me to truly accept the fact the the Safari Storme is indeed a good bet.

My only worry is that will it be too much too soon for me wrt to the brutal power and the stance the vehicle commands. I currently drive a sedan, Verna fluidic and have been doing rounds of dealers to find my first SUV. Will this shift from a sedan to a SUV require a change in driving style?

I have heard that the knee often rubs the lower steering, especially if you are tall. My height is around 6.2".

I am guessing all you proud owners would be able to help me make the right decision.

Cheers,
Vinay.
Just go with your heart , storme does make us overlook the shortcomings and infact reason out a few of negatives as blessings in disguise. Thats the sheer magic of this beast. Coming to your concern, the steering column does foul with your legs especially if you are above 6 ft or so but that depends more on the way you place your leg and also the steering and seat adjustment might just help you find a perfect driving position. Take more TD and try to find one. Rest assured, this machine will never stop amusing you with its capabilities. Good luck mate
Old 28th June 2014, 21:23   #2952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
Gold AMC as per yesterday rate list was for 4 years and is being offered at 23k. Strangely though, the Concorde showroom is offering the same for 38k for 5 years. The concorde SA sent me an excel whereas the other dealer had a proper printed rate card on Tata's letter head.

In the quote presented to me, the EX registration amount for my state is shown as 92k by one dealer and Concorde quotes 100K.
Got a quote for Storme Ex from Oberoi motors in noida.here is the break up:
ex showroom - 10,98,000
Insurance - 32000 ( getting a 3 year 0 Dep by paying this one time amount )
Tax. - 92,448 ( pls add 54000 for delhi reg as this is for noida, UP. )
Logistics. - 7500
Basic kit. - 2500
Gross- 12,32,000
Less
Dealer discount and kit price waiver - 4500

Net total - 1228500.

Let me know if its fine please. Also mr. Sachin tyagi, the sales rep quoted Rs. 37332 for a 3 year gold AMC which seemed very high.
All comments would be highly appreciated.
Old 29th June 2014, 08:20   #2953

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
ex showroom - 10,98,000
Logistics. - 7500
Basic kit. - 2500
Gross- 12,32,000
Less

Net total - 1228500.

Let me know if its fine please. Also mr. Sachin tyagi, the sales rep quoted Rs. 37332 for a 3 year gold AMC which seemed very high.
I was able to fetch 8560 discount,try to avoid 2500 basic kit if you are looking ahead to buy the god idol and 3d mats from outside rather consider the extended warranty@7K.

Gold AMC was 19895 for 40000 km/4Year and insurance - 36000 (3yrs including 0 dep) considering mine is VX version. I bought the vehicle in May from Urmil Motors (Ghaziabad).

My 2 cents consider other dealers too.
priyanknauni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 09:09   #2954
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post

ex showroom - 10,98,000

Logistics. - 7500

Basic kit. - 2500

Gross- 12,32,000

Less

Net total - 1228500.

Couple of things

Give my reference to Sachin Tyagi

Say himanshu goswami bought storme thru him from Aristo motors and he should match the deal

Also discount offered is ludicrous

Just to give some perspective I got almost 40 k cash discount, explorer edition audio with 4 speakers free and fifth alloy free- cumulative worth 70 k

All this when I didn't even take insurance from dealer since my company covers it under lease

Please check with some other dealers as well and if you are anyways planning for del regn then you should talk to Aristo. Another bhpian Gaurav also bought his storme from them last week and we can help you get a good deal

PS- mine was a factory fresh piece so it's not like I got the discount because of old dealer stock. In fact dealer didn't have pearl white and had to order it. Mine is June 14 manufactured

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 29th June 2014 at 09:12.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 09:40   #2955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram mehra View Post
Thanks for the inputs Stormerider.
Its a pity that there aren't any showrooms (at least in NCR) which have a 4x4 available for test drive.

How does one really determine the claimed prowess of the 4x4 without a test drive? No wonder the sales of the 4x4 VX have been so low.

The dealers tell me that I am the first one who has ever asked for a TD and keen to go in for a 4x4. They also tell me that the wait period would be about three to four weeks, whereas the 4x2 could be picked up within a week (depending on the colour).

Though my heart totally goes out for the 4x4, but the dipping sales are making me even more skeptical of taking the plunge. Just by advertising the capabilities of the 4x4, TM isnt acheiving much(i.e. without making the car available to the customers for TD).

Stormerider, you have still not answered whether on your entire Ladakh cct you ever regretted not having gone in for the 4x4 . As of now, what I am made to understand is that for the Ladakh cct, 4x2 is better than the other hatchbacks only by virtue of its Ground Clearence.

Or are there any other features that I am overlooking. I already have a Ford Fusion TDCi, and am amazingly pleased by its performance, quality control, reliability and comfort levels. The only reason that I am wanting to buy the Storme is for its ability to seat > 5 people comfortably and be able to negotiate a bit of 'essential' off roading.

Awaiting your inputs (on each of the queries please).
Stormerider,

Oberoi Motors did have a Storme 4X4. I had taken a short test drive a few months back but did not use the 4 WD option at theat point in time. This dealership is located in Sector 1 Noida.

BTW I have just returned from a trp to Ladakh. I was driving a SX4 and met with Vaibhav while stuck in a traffic jam at Sonmarg. Vaibhav was driving a petrol Fusion and both the cars did the trip without any problems. We however did not try any off- roading and stuck to the roads.

One advantage which a 2 WD store ( or any similar vehicle) will have over most sedans is the tremendous low end torque and rear wheel drive which is a big help when climbing steep inclines with poor road surface. With petrol engines you have to keep the revs high and depend on momentum to get you through . Starting from a stand- still involves a lot of clutch slipping which is not exactly what you would want in such situations.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 29th June 2014 at 09:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks