Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 22:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Awesome review Tanveer, i believe the wait was worth it. All the reviews are pointing positives in this car, and this makes me believe i have found my next ride. A few questions.
  • Folks are comparing it with Duster and the XUV, i would rather compare it to the Rexton and the Fortuner. If cost was not a limiting factor, and everything else being equal, which one would you buy? or maybe recommend to buy .
  • If it gives me everything that a Fortuner gives and (and a little bit more), from the reviews it seems that the car is holding much better from abuse, what is your impression of the same?
  • Not sure if anyone compared, does the Storme's all Disc combination feels better planted when braking from high speeds as compared to others (Like Fortuner, and Scorpio)?
The way folks were getting impatient i would have bet my last $ that they would have had a dharna wherever you work/live soon.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 1st December 2012 at 22:34.
Old 1st December 2012, 22:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Thanks Tanveer. This was one of the most eagerly waited reviews, and this has fulfilled every desire. Though I have a question, Is the AC flow changing knob now Electrical? unlike the old Safari which had a cable operated mechanism.
Yes, electrical both both temperature control and direction control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Awesome review Tanveer, i believe the wait was worth it. All the reviews are pointing positives in this car, and this makes me believe i have found my next ride. A few questions.
  • Folks are comparing it with Duster and the XUV, i would rather compare it to the Rexton and the Fortuner. If cost was not a limiting factor, and everything else being equal, which one would you buy? or maybe recommend to buy .
For somebody buying a 4x2, comparing with the XUV and duster makes complete sense. Both these competitors have SUV look and presense.
However, if you are in the market for a proper 4x4, only thing in the similar price bracket is the scorpio

Quote:
  • If it gives me everything that a Fortuner gives and (and a little bit more), from the reviews it seems that the car is holding much better from abuse, what is your impression of the same?
If Tata sorts out their long term reliability issues, then there is no reason for anybody to spend close to 30L.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 22:16   #18
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2012 at 15:05.
g_prajeesh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st December 2012, 22:17   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

was waiting for this for ages, a zillion visits later, the sight of manna.
awesome review tsk,loved the detail. the effort made is evident.
now let this thread go viral while i re-read it.
Old 1st December 2012, 22:31   #20
Team-BHP Support

This is the mother of all reviews! Superb Tanveer! you made me glued to the comp for last 30+ minutes Very exhaustive review and those nitty gritty made all the difference.

But.... the product is really not my cup of tea. Its old, and its time that they give it a respectable end. I hope, atleast this would be the last time they would try to play around with this body. Like GTO said, this was like a golden opportunity lost!! Imagine a more contemporary shell design which moved away from the double decker looks!

I would recommend this only for the die hard fans like the Royal Enfields. If you are buying it, set your expectation right.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 22:39   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for a stunning review. Am sure you just brightened up a dull weekend for many.

While I am happy with the improvements, am disappointed with the niggles, especially for the time they took to introduce the product.

Some comparo questions

1. Duster is one of the benchmarks in ride quality, does Storme grab the place or Duster continues to be the king (over same rough patches)?

2. For purely on road usage & broken patches, for a 5 seater & looks NOT withstanding, do you prefer a Storme or Aria? Since the base variants are priced closer, it should be easy to decide / suggest.

3. For a 15L budget, which 4x2 is the best bet for a complete (jack of all trades) package (5 seater, on road purpose)?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 23:00   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for a stunning review. Am sure you just brightened up a dull weekend for many.

While I am happy with the improvements, am disappointed with the niggles, especially for the time they took to introduce the product.

Some comparo questions

1. Duster is one of the benchmarks in ride quality, does Storme grab the place or Duster continues to be the king (over same rough patches)?
I have not sat in a duster. However, the storme does not give any complaints when you talk about the ride quality. Its excellent
Quote:
2. For purely on road usage & broken patches, for a 5 seater & looks NOT withstanding, do you prefer a Storme or Aria? Since the base variants are priced closer, it should be easy to decide / suggest.
If looks do not matter, then of course Aria seems to be a better package(more kit for same money)
But again, never drove an aria, so do not know how is the ride quality.
Quote:
3. For a 15L budget, which 4x2 is the best bet for a complete (jack of all trades) package (5 seater, on road purpose)?
Duster is actually a 4 seater from my POV(center passenger is extremely uncomfortable)
So I guess XUV takes the cake here.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 23:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Tanveer.
Good to see lots of genuine improvements on the technical fronts.
What would it cost them to add a guard for the transfer case...
The ugly panel gaps still exist after over 2 years of development and testing. And add the small knick knacks falling off inside is certainly not expected.
But i will agree with GTO - a case of too little too late.
TASS still remains a sore point.
With the same engine as on the Aria, reliability is still a question mark.
But for someone looking for a capable suv south of 20 lakhs, the Storme seems to be a contender if you can live with the negatives.

One question - Is this Storme built to last?
Old 1st December 2012, 23:06   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post

One question - Is this Storme built to last?
You own the old safari, you very well know if you sneezed inside the engine bay, half the stuff would fall off. However, in the storme, you can actually tug at the hoses and cables(I actually did). Its definitely built better than the old safari, and even after 5000kms, there was no complaint from the suspension(bush noises we are so used to). Infact, the heavily abused 4x4(it had cracked its rear bumper due to frequent hits), also had the suspension in perfect working order.
The old safari suspension would last 2000kms with such abuse.

So it does seem built to last, but again only time can tell. Within 6 months the picture will be clear.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 23:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Super review!! Everything was covered nicely in a systematic way just like all other reviews. The timing was also perfect; Saturday evening. I think this is an important car for Tata. I like the way things (related to engine, gearbox) have improved a lot over the previous generation. QC checks are definitely lacking though and it shows a lot in the panel gaps and a lot of other niggles. However I think these niggles is what makes the Safari ownership so fun!!

2 things which I fail to understand ...

1. Last row has absolutely no space. And the curvature of the roof worsens things. Why didn't anyone think of this part?

2. The 4x4 transfer case picture, is that exposed on the under body? Why?Would it not be soaking wet in any off roading trail?
Old 1st December 2012, 23:08   #26
BHPian

All star rating !!
The Best Review I have ever read about Safari, added with Tanveer's experience its an unmatched review.
As GTO mentioned TATA should have replaced the existing line of Safari Dicor with Storme.
The long wait is some what over, because at this point I have to still wait for TATA to launch the vehicle in Bangalore.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 1st December 2012 at 23:10.
Old 1st December 2012, 23:14   #27
BHPian

Excellent review there, Tanveer! Rating 5* - some very good insight into the several improvements as well as existing niggles.

It would appear that Tatas have chosen the option of incremental improvement of design - that would explain their cautious approach to the whole Storme concept. "Why fix it if it ain't broke?" That may explain why most of the outer body panels are retained. Having said that, they could have effected a major visual change if they had chosen to makeover the rear end of the vehicle.

The usual problem of production QC appears to remain - which showed up in all those little bits falling loose.

I suspect the vehicle will do well especially the 4x2 version- there is a sizable market out there in the 2nd and 3rd tier towns where size, road presence, roomy interiors and ride comfort on broken roads count for a lot. As far as the more urbane and choosy SUV buyers are concerned, well I suppose they would be more strongly drawn to the pull of the XUV or other options.
Old 1st December 2012, 23:32   #28
BHPian

Honest, Detailed & crisp! Thanks for the excellent review. I ve been waiting for the "Storme" to be unveiled, but the current product disappoints me. Though the improved driveablity are welcome changes but there's lots more which could have been done/picked up from Aria to make Safari a more competent product.
Rajat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 23:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey Tanveer thats an awesome writeup with great shots. Even the minute details which we tend to overlook most of the time are covered.
This review is a must read for anybody who is going to consider the Storme for new buy as it comes from a long term Safari owner himself. In fact i was looking forward for this myself from a long time as Storme is in my shortlist for a new car.
The body panel gaps look appalling by todays standards and the rear most jump seats are shockingly uncomfortable for a 7 seater SUV.
I feel Tata could have done so much more in terms of quality.
Thanks for a great review. Cheers!
Old 1st December 2012, 23:45   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post

I suspect the vehicle will do well especially the 4x2 version- there is a sizable market out there in the 2nd and 3rd tier towns where size, road presence, roomy interiors and ride comfort on broken roads count for a lot. As far as the more urbane and choosy SUV buyers are concerned, well I suppose they would be more strongly drawn to the pull of the XUV or other options.
I guess ride comfort over broken roads will be most required in bangalore
That said if size does not matter, that class, always had a pull towards things like the swift.
As far as SUV buyers are concerned, whether urban or rural, the XUV is the current market leader in segment, whether its the choosy urbane SUV buyer, or the other tiers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks