Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:13   #3496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

I personally think the interiors of the Storme are just great. Elegant, classy, not overdone, good quality materials and finish.
Feels good to have company!! Really The interiors are best in class. Even the dash may seem simplistic at first glance but is great when driving. Doesn't disturb in any way. Is made with possibly best materials on this side of 13L.

I'm certainly one of those who like the current steering without audio controls. It's a perfect size, perfect fit piece. Pleasure to hold. Keeps safari the brute beast it is. Unlike the inflated cars that really are cars in soul.

The ICE - while driving a safari I'll never need one! It's odyssey to be in harmony with the car! But the glitch is, all other cars have it. Biggest flaw is that an 8L On road sumo gold has a good usb/bluetooth enabled ICE... Without infotainment, the safari looks incomplete. Especially for the asking price, even knowing that under the body is a highly complex and capable machine. The thing is, I'll probably not want to take my 13L new safari to some accessory store to install ICE. I'll feel comfortable if it's factory installed.

For 3rd row, I agree totally that butterfly windows will be a boon. (Unless one of our frequent flyers regularly opens them and forgets to close )
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 12:40   #3497

@ebonho well I do not agree that all products are not about technology I find it extremely contradictory where you say you want a better engine and gear box but when it comes to interiors you want them to be archaic I am not speaking of the material finish I am speaking of things which make a drive more comfortable
I just can't believe how a harman kardon high end entertainment unit, a built in gps, climate control a/c, mid which shows me at least how much fuel is left make my storme a less of a storme, since I spent 30 k only on my music system because of the inferior one provide by the company I know the value of the good one and it's amazing how absolutely every review I saw before purchasing my storme said that it lacks the very basic features a vehicle should have and that's why it's not even selling impressive numbers it's amazing how we have criticised all Tata cars for lack of basic equipment and today when they may be doing some thing right we all want them to live in 1998

And u seem to inadvertently agree when I said having a third row with openable windows and Innova type seats is what you would like which is nothing but a people mover SUVs are not about only 7 seater they are about other capabilities there's is not a single suv incl fortuner endeavour pajero sport whose 3rd is better than Innova coz they are not people movers, get higher to a Range Rover cayenne etc there is no 3 row at all, so I think to have for a comfortable 3 row its muv s not suv that you need SUV s are meant for off-roading not just moving a bunch of people around and with openable windows I don't even want to imagine a storme like that

Ideally it would be wrong to compare the involvement levels of a car to a bike but just a gentle reminder royal Enfield was also down & out for quite a while & were struggling until they re launched the thunderbird with electric start etc, today even the 500cc comes with electric start disk brakes etc and most of the other competition is similar, but with XUV & now Scorpio there's too much more available with the competition & it shows with the sales numbers

Finally I have a question a Scorpio was recently launched, who says the interior of the old one were better ? Is there even a comparison between the two ? And does it make it less of a Scorpio having all that inside ?
And anyone who doesn't like the latest Tata has continued with the safari dicor I thinks it's for people who want to still continue to be connected to the original safari, storme is anyways a complete aberration of it ,wonder why buy a storme when dicor was available ?

And I know this argument is not ending soon but I would just like to say "let the new storme come" which is definitely happening and we shall discuss good or bad then.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd October 2014 at 20:23.
angad.bawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 19:19   #3498
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

I find the Storme's interiors as well as exteriors appealing with good quality & design. I would also say that the same 2.2 AVL Austrian sourced engine is tuned better in Scorpio. Electtonics & gadgetry are different things, you won't miss till you use one feature.

Say, you can do without autofold mirrors, but it is nice to have.

I personally would want a more refined engine or a better tuned engine. Must say, the Storme or Dicor(2.2) have better FE than the Scorpio. Unsure about new Scorpio. By refined, I mean, to my ears it sounds gruff/laboured when comapred to Scorpio.

The 5th gear is good & cruise ability is good, I don't cruise over 110 at a sustained period, so makes up for it.

If a new Storme is being launched, hope it is better in every way and with no or minimal price increase.
Old 23rd October 2014, 23:12   #3499
BHPian

First issue now surfacing on storme after almost 6 months of ownership and 9000 kms on ODO. Though I am sure its a minor issue and happens occasionally at least for now:

Some last week during a saturday i was heading out for breakfast and after i parked my car and about to get down my driver side door refuses to open. After 2-3 failed attempts, i finally lowered the window put my hand outside and tried to open the door from outside and it finally opened. I thought it might be an issue with central locking system going kaput. Same day went to TASC and discussed the problem with SA. As i mentioned above the problem is occasional and happened only once that day, SA advised me unless the problem still exists currently they cant diagnose. SA tried opening and closing door from inside repeatedly but there was no problem. SA finally told it might door getting jammed due to less greasing and he will get the door greased and asked me to check again if the problem occurs and report back.

after that day the problem occurred today again that too only once like last time. Didn't repeat again. What might be the issue? Only the driver side door gets jammed.

PS: this issue happens only when it rains and the car is wet after heavy downpour. I dont have a covered parking and i park my storme outside in the open in front of my house!
Old 24th October 2014, 09:32   #3500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
First issue now surfacing on storme after almost 6 months of ownership and 9000 kms on ODO. Though I am sure its a minor issue and happens occasionally at least for now:

Some last week during a saturday i was heading out for breakfast and after i parked my car and about to get down my driver side door refuses to open. After 2-3 failed attempts, i finally lowered the window put my hand outside and tried to open the door from outside and it finally opened. I thought it might be an issue with central locking system going kaput. Same day went to TASC and discussed the problem with SA. As i mentioned above the problem is occasional and happened only once that day, SA advised me unless the problem still exists currently they cant diagnose. SA tried opening and closing door from inside repeatedly but there was no problem. SA finally told it might door getting jammed due to less greasing and he will get the door greased and asked me to check again if the problem occurs and report back.

after that day the problem occurred today again that too only once like last time. Didn't repeat again. What might be the issue? Only the driver side door gets jammed.

PS: this issue happens only when it rains and the car is wet after heavy downpour. I dont have a covered parking and i park my storme outside in the open in front of my house!
Trey simulating the rain scenario by taking the car for a pressure wash . You might be able to reproduce the issue . INfact TASS might have pressure wash systems that might help you do this .

I used to have this problem too , during rains , with my punto central locking system . But the central locking on my car was Autocop ( aftermarket ) . I had no clue what would cause this .
Old 24th October 2014, 12:42   #3501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Even the dash may seem simplistic at first glance but is great when driving.
Possibly the empty slot under the music system is where they could have had a larger rectangular screen with all the information Angad feels he needs.

Quote:
Is made with possibly best materials on this side of 13L.
The seat fabric was really nice. I regret having it Autoformed. Should have enjoyed it till it got shabby and then got it done.

Quote:
I'm certainly one of those who like the current steering without audio controls.
Me too. Especially on rough patches where the steering is moving this way and that, as is the entire tank. My kids love that incidentally ... as do I. My wife not so much.

Quote:
It's a perfect size, perfect fit piece. Pleasure to hold. Keeps safari the brute beast it is. Unlike the inflated cars that really are cars in soul.
Can't agree more with you. The essence, without the candy floss. Just wish it was a tad fatter to hold. I don't want to spoil the nice smooth finish by fitting one of those after market steering leather covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angad.bawa View Post
@ebonho well I do not agree that all products are not about technology I find it extremely contradictory where you say you want a better engine and gear box
There is nothing contradictory in my position.

The engine and the gearbox is the HEART of any vehicle. Its what you ride or drive. More power, more torque, is as old as the internal combustion engine. Older! Its as old as the wheel itself. When more horses meant hitching more to the chariot. Literally. A gearhead will always want more in that department. Does not make him a gadget/farkle/gizmo junkie. It just makes him a gearhead.

Everything else you have mentioned, to me at least, is best reserved for a fancy high end sedan. Or a crossover trying to look like an SUV ....

Incidentally, the quintessential SUV, the old Pajero, has the most gorgeous comfortable third row front facing flip over and side fold away seats (exactly like the Innova).

Does that mean the Pajero is not a thoroughbred SUV and the Safari is?

Last edited by ebonho : 24th October 2014 at 12:44.
Old 24th October 2014, 18:06   #3502

@ebonho my friend I thought we are looking ahead and not back By quoting a design of mid 90s I wonder where you want to take the 2014 storme I was a fan of that pajero till early 2000 today it's not even in the consideration set

And I am sorry but the slot you suggest for the screen is ergonomically extremely inappropriate, a scree should be not too far from the vision of drive and not low down so I loose complete sight of the road

And yes engine is the heart but the point is almost all cars today have acceptable engines or similar engines in the category, it's the interiors of the car which is the soul, which make you select one over the other, which make a vehicle bare bones or luxurious

The skoda Octavia and superb use the same engine etc etc but see the difference when you ride in them

I still don't understand how can some one say no to luxury features at the same price I can understand you may not use all of them but how can you be so stuck with a pleasant change which only gives you more options and you are working on an amazing assumption that if anything changes in the storme it will make it worse, may I understand why such suppositions ? In history of the safari which upgrade was genuinely inferior to the previous one ? Or in general automobiles?
Old 25th October 2014, 22:49   #3503
BHPian

Ok. Need some advice. I had gone today to the nearby TASS (Delta Vehicle Support, Gurgaon) to get the car checked for what I suspected as an oil leakage from under the car. No leakage whatsoever was found anywhere after a thorough check (I suspect the oil that I saw in my parking lot may have been from some other car). However, when they checked the service history, they saw that the differential oil was not changed during the 15K service (done at Aristo Motors, one of the worst service experiences I have ever had). Delta guys have advised me to get in touch with Aristo and sort out the issue before bringing the car to them for service, due to concerns on warranty validity (car has done 25250 odd km till now).
Need your expert advice on how to deal with this. Should I go to Aristo, get the oil changed and get a letter from them that it was a mistake from their end? Or should I just ask them to put it on the vehicle's database that they didn't change it? Or simply ignore the issue?

Last edited by sasi405 : 25th October 2014 at 22:52. Reason: needed to copy the text again.
Old 25th October 2014, 23:23   #3504
Team-BHP Support

Your extended warranty is now gone
Old 26th October 2014, 07:32   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Your extended warranty is now gone
This is a mistake from their end (Aristo Motors). How can I be held responsible? Also, what is the way to get this sorted out?
Old 26th October 2014, 09:23   #3506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
This is a mistake from their end (Aristo Motors). How can I be held responsible? Also, what is the way to get this sorted out?
First of all talk to Aristo and get the oil replaced if not done yet. Do try to get a printed and signed letter from them confirming it was missed by them. Speak tothe service GM directly for this.

One of the primary terms of warranty is all services and fluid replacements being done on schedule. So technically Aristo have managed to void it. It's not all lost yet, it may be retained intact by TML. They are the most lenient I've ever seen when it comes to relaxing warranty terms for customer's benefit. At least they won't trouble for any other parts mostly.

As for the mistake, of course Aristo messed it up. But as owners it's a best practise to have a look at the service schedule in the manual and know what is to be done on a particular visit. Certainly you'll do that for every visit henceforth.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 15:39   #3507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
First of all talk to Aristo and get the oil replaced if not done yet. Do try to get a printed and signed letter from them confirming it was missed by them. Speak tothe service GM directly for this.

One of the primary terms of warranty is all services and fluid replacements being done on schedule. So technically Aristo have managed to void it. It's not all lost yet, it may be retained intact by TML. They are the most lenient I've ever seen when it comes to relaxing warranty terms for customer's benefit. At least they won't trouble for any other parts mostly.

As for the mistake, of course Aristo messed it up. But as owners it's a best practise to have a look at the service schedule in the manual and know what is to be done on a particular visit. Certainly you'll do that for every visit henceforth.
Thanks a lot! I wrote a strongly worded but factual email to CS@TML and the SM at Aristo. I got a call within the hour from Aristo, apologizing for their mistake. I am at Aristo now and the diff oil has been changed. They have promised to update the correct info on the TML vehicle database so that warranty issues will not emerge later on. I hope they are going to do the right thing.
Also, a mild leak was found on the rear left shock absorber, which is being replaced under warranty.
So, so far so good. Let's hope it doesn't pose any problems in the future.
Old 26th October 2014, 17:48   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Although both left and right shocks have the same specs as per TASS not sure why many of us have leakage only at the rear left ? Is that shocks facing greater stress due to some other issue ?
Old 26th October 2014, 21:14   #3509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Although both left and right shocks have the same specs as per TASS not sure why many of us have leakage only at the rear left ? Is that shocks facing greater stress due to some other issue ?
Interesting observation indeed. However, entire rear axle assembly, including suspension parts, anti roll bar, trailing arm etc are all very symmetrical and balanced, as I could see. This is unlike the Dicor set-up where there is a cross arm that diagonally goes from the right to the left. So, I don't see why only the left shock absorber should leak.

On another line of thought, the fuel tank is located on the left side, just ahead of the axle assembly. And I guess if you are someone who drives on a full tank most of the time (like me), I guess there is 55kg extra on the left side. And especially if you drive on relatively rough roads, this might create extra fatigue on the shock absorbers. This is obviously not the case in other cars (and the DICOR), where the fuel tank is balanced in the centre of the car.

Last edited by sasi405 : 26th October 2014 at 21:16. Reason: Additional input
Old 27th October 2014, 01:35   #3510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Was on phone, so could not get detailed reply.
Tata motors(or whatever authority handles their extended warranty) has a principle. Its very simple. No matter what the validity of the claim, always try to reject it on every possible technicality you can find.

For example. Clutch oil was not changed once in my safari.
Slave cylinder went.
Normal warranty was active, and clutch oil, clutch plates, master, slave basically the entire box was changed.

Now previously even if they had put the shit from the million open drains in NCR instead of oil, it wouldn't have mattered.

But they anyways refused to change slave cylinder under extended warranty.

So this is how they work.
You get your diff oil changed now, and get from them in writing, that this should have no bearing whatsoever on your extended or normal warranty.

If any claim is rejected due to this, Tata motor will ensure you do not have to pay.

Get this in writing.

Or, ask them to put an entry in their database at 15000kms that diff oil was changed.
Or an entry at 15200kms.

When you call customer care and stuff they will be all nice and stuff, but 3 years from now, when you want warranty everyone will vanish. So do not trust anything, unless you can get it in writing or get the record altered.

Quote:
I guess there is 55kg extra on the left side. And especially if you drive on relatively rough roads, this might create extra fatigue on the shock absorbers. This is obviously not the case in other cars (and the DICOR), where the fuel tank is balanced in the centre of the car.
If a vehicle cannot take extra 55kgs on one side, I guess people who drive alone should never buy such a vehicle, since that is extra 70kg on one side.

It can just be confirmation bias I guess, rather than the extra 55kg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th October 2014 at 01:38.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks