Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 06:42   #3511
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Or, ask them to put an entry in their database at 15000kms that diff oil was changed.
Or an entry at 15200kms.
This is exactly what they did after changing the oil and the rear shock absorber. They have promised that there will be no problem with the extended warranty since now the record has been set straight. I have also got an email stating that this was a mistake from their end and that they have addressed the problem. So I guess it is all ok now. In any case, no one can expect the customer to know / point out / address such technical issues when they bring their cars for service. On my part, I will double check each and everything before and after the next service.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:01   #3512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Also, a mild leak was found on the rear left shock absorber, which is being replaced under warranty.
I was under the impression that when shock absorbers are changed they are always changed in pairs so that the damping characteristics are identical on both sides. Or am I mistaken in my assumption.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:33   #3513
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Had a query. Just done 400 KM with my Storme. When the windows are rolled down, I can hear a squeaking / air wheezing noise from the engine when I accelerate & the RPM is at 1500 to 2000. Is it normal?

The noise is not loud & completely not audible in the cabin with the windows rolled up.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:44   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
Hey Guys,

Had a query. Just done 400 KM with my Storme. When the windows are rolled down, I can hear a squeaking / air wheezing noise from the engine when I accelerate & the RPM is at 1500 to 2000. Is it normal?

The noise is not loud & completely not audible in the cabin with the windows rolled up.
No, it's not normal. You should take it to the service centre at your earlieast convenience.
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 13:19   #3515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
No, it's not normal. You should take it to the service centre at your earlieast convenience.
Thanks psurelia, was thinking I'll wait it out till the first service since the noise comes only when I hard accelerate & not otherwise, but I think I'll have it checked out earlier.
Old 27th October 2014, 22:48   #3516
Senior - BHPian

@ Rohan : to me this sounds like the Turbo whistle which is normal

@arulpeem : I thought so as well but TASS refused to change the other shocks and said that since it hadn't leaked they can't replace it under warranty
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 10:59   #3517
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks psurelia, was thinking I'll wait it out till the first service since the noise comes only when I hard accelerate & not otherwise, but I think I'll have it checked out earlier.
It seems like the sweet sound of turbo whistle to me. On a safer side, get it checked and enjoy it later.

I saw a pearl champagne colour yesterday on kalindi kunj bridge, number 6061. I saw this colour in flesh for the first time. it was looking elite, beautifully maintained, very urban and the only word that escaped my mouth was -GORGEOUSS. Now if TATA has not discontinued the production of this colour even on special order, i would love to go for it.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th October 2014 at 12:03. Reason: Back to back posts.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 13:37   #3518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I saw a pearl champagne colour yesterday on kalindi kunj bridge, number 6061. I saw this colour in flesh for the first time. it was looking elite, beautifully maintained, very urban and the only word that escaped my mouth was -GORGEOUSS.
Yes it does look good but only if alloys are also there IMO. Likewise for the Sardina Red.

by the way, I think the only pearl champagne Storme in TBHP would be condor's i guess
Old 29th October 2014, 15:49   #3519
BHPian

I also own a Pearl Champagne dear friends , and must say it suits the beast most after Black (based on admirers' opinion!). Specially if you see from rear, it looks more premium than any other color of storme. And it goes well without the alloys too..
I've recently completed 8k kms, and over past 9 months it has proved to be a robust and reliable vehicle on a variety of terrain. Highlights of the experience so far are:
1) Recently I noticed that Rear right suspension is a bit more compressed than left (IIRC Ebonho had also reported similar problem at some point of time). Have checked under different parking conditions with no load, but rear Right side is about 15 mm closer to ground than rear Left. On bumps, the rear right suspension feels softer than left. I have yet to report this issue at TASS.
2) Prompt and satisfactory response from TASS (Chambal Motors, Kota).
3) RHS tweeter replaced under warranty.
4) Once right headlamp developed slight fogging inside the glass during heavy rains. However i never noticed it again. Don't think it will cause any harm.
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 16:28   #3520
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

It's normal. It's the turbo spooling up. It will come in between 1600-1700rpm and 2000rpm and will go after that. If you notice while driving, at about the time this whistling noise comes, you will feel an increase in the acceleration too. The turbo really kicks in after 1800rpm and once it spools up completely at about 2000rpm, there will be a strong push.

I usually roll down the windows deliberately to listen to the turbo whistle...
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 16:51   #3521
BHPian

Quote:
It's normal. It's the turbo spooling up. It will come in between 1600-1700rpm and 2000rpm and will go after that. If you notice while driving, at about the time this whistling noise comes, you will feel an increase in the acceleration too. The turbo really kicks in after 1800rpm and once it spools up completely at about 2000rpm, there will be a strong push.

The Whistle sometimes is the problem. I own a vista qjd and it used to whistle and I ignored because it is said everywhere that it is not a problem. But over the period whistle was becoming louder and louder. Then after diagnosing the problem we found that inter cooler was leaking. Changed intercooler now whistle is gone. So do not ignore, check it.. Whistle means a problem.
sushantr5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 17:06   #3522
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks sasi405, the noise occurrence is exactly as you have mentioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
The Whistle sometimes is the problem. I own a vista qjd and it used to whistle and I ignored because it is said everywhere that it is not a problem. But over the period whistle was becoming louder and louder. Then after diagnosing the problem we found that inter cooler was leaking. Changed intercooler now whistle is gone. So do not ignore, check it.. Whistle means a problem.
Thanks for the info sushantr5, will definitely ask the SA once I take it for the 1st service to just look into it. But from the feedback exactly described by sasi405, I think it sounds precisely like the Turbo Whistle.
Old 31st October 2014, 08:57   #3523
BHPian

Hi everyone, I test drove the Safari Storme VX 4wd yesterday. This was my second test drive. I did it because I wanted to compare it with the Scorpio S10 4x2 I had driven 2 weeks back.

This is my inference:

LOOKS: I love the sedate look of the Safari Storme. I know that looks differ from individuals, but the quality of the paint job is much better in the Storme, and it looks superb in Urban bronze.

DASHBOARD: a lot has been said about the Scorpio dash, that it got this and that on it. But I'm from the old block. Gadgets are good, but not a deal breaker for me. Even thou the Storme lacks an infotainment system the dashboard with its wooden touch oozes class. The Scorpio feels very plasticy. I am not a big fan of chrome.

SEATS: What has happened to the Storme? The front seats in the Safari were much, much better. The seats now are stiffer, and not comfortable. Compared to this, the Scorpio front seats are very comfortable now.

PICK UP: The Storme feels like a lazy bull which has just awaken from its siesta. Pick up! There isn't any. On the other hand, Scorpio feels like a steroid injected sprinter. Once you get in the 3rd gear, its then only that the Storme awaken.

FIT AND FINISH: Storme anyday. It feels more upmarket, even thou it lacks the electronics.

HANDLING: The Storme rocks and rolls. It feels planted, but the body roll is still there. I know its lesser than the Safari, but the Scorpio now feels wonderful to drive. The vehicle feels so stable at speeds.

BRAKING: I felt the Safari Storme with its all disc brakes, EBD and ABS thrown in has better braking. I know all these are available in a Scorpio also. But mind you, the Scorpio has these features minus the all disc brakes only from S8 onwards. The base Storme comes with these.

STEERING: I felt the steering in the Safari Storme a bit too light and vague at times. The vehicle I had driven had already clocked 21000km, but it was no where near the Scorpio which was more precise.

GEAR SHIFT: The safari still feel notchy. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd requires a bit of effort. The Scorpio feels smoother and much easy.

VIEW: man this has to be handed to the Safari Storme. The view from the front through the sloping dash and the front bonnet is awesome in Safari Storme. Scorpio just cannot match it.

My take on this has to be the Scorpio, it is a better vehicle to drive. The drive has much more fun in it. You don't have to hit the highway to enjoy it. Even thou, the Safari Storme makes 30ps more power, but it feels lethargic. City drives with their congested traffic will be task.

I love the Safari, it occupies a special place in my heart, but when it comes to buying, it just has to be the Scorpio.

My only grievance is the fact that Mahindra should have provided ABS across all variants. Come on, this vehicle needs ABS, S6 has ABS. But to avail the dual airbags, you have to choose S8. That is bad.

Please note: The Scorpio 4wd version isn't available as yet. So couldn't make any comparison. So kept it limited to the 4x2 only.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 31st October 2014 at 09:03.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 09:11   #3524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Hi everyone, I test drove the Safari Storme VX 4wd yesterday. This was my second test drive. I did it because I wanted to compare it with the Scorpio S10 4x2 I had driven 2 weeks back.

This is my inference:

LOOKS: I love the sedate look of the Safari Storme. I know that looks differ from individuals, but the quality of the paint job is much better in the Storme, and it looks superb in Urban bronze.

SEATS: What has happened to the Storme? The front seats in the Safari were much, much better. The seats now are stiffer, and not comfortable. Compared to this, the Scorpio front seats are very comfortable now.

te
Please note: The Scorpio 4wd version isn't available as yet. So couldn't make any comparison. So kept it limited to the 4x2 only.
Thats a good unbiased review.

From what I have read, Storme seats dont get too soft as times passes. 21k is a good odo read and if you TD'd a test drive vehicle, then one should appreciate the improvement in quality.

Can I also suggest that you wait for the new Storme people say would come? And, why not the Duster/Terrano?
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 09:12   #3525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ortho_surgeon : SEATS: What has happened to the Storme? The front seats in the Safari were much, much better. The seats now are stiffer, and not comfortable. Compared to this, the Scorpio front seats are very comfortable now.
The seats are firm & good, as we have seen on long drives. Yes, I also feel that the base is short. But we should be able to change the base to that of the Dicor.
Note: get the foam & fit it into the current seat base.

Quote:
ortho_surgeon : GEAR SHIFT: The safari still feel notchy. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd requires a bit of effort. The Scorpio feels smoother and much easy.
Must be a problem with the TD vehicle. No such problems faced. I have done 27k now in my Storme,
condor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks