Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2013, 16:47   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I tried checking your garage and did not find any commonality with mine, hence for the lack of common car between us, how would you compare Storme's braking with Fortuner (Not sure if you have driven it). If someone else has driven both and can comment it will be helpful.
Sorry - haven't driven a Fortuner and hence cannot compare. My comparison/observations were with reference to my Safari (2.2 VTT).
Old 11th January 2013, 19:20   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to the Xtreme Drive event yesterday (10 Jan 2013). Thanks Hari (Lukeskywalker) for the invites & Karthik from Prerana for extending help to give us the first slot. My friends were quite happy too. Am SMITTEN by the capability of this car.

I had taken a short TD of Safari Dicor 3 weeks back. And could not TD Storme (might happen this week). Comparo will come after that.

The moment you step into the car, the feel is different. The interiors definitely feel ages better. I had a ride back in the Safari Dicor & the difference is too much. Loved how effortlessly the car was doing all those obstacles. Was in the front seat as well as the middle row. Found it nice. Could not check on the driver seat much. Climbed on to the driver seat once & had a fight (with myself) to get my left leg to the other side of the steering. Not sure the seat was set high or my height problem (6'2"). Will update on this after the TD.

Not much noise inside the car, but would have loved a silent cabin. Loved all the stunts & the car never felt losing composure. The BEST part was the getting down from the see-saw. Was thinking the rude shock will be transferred back into the cabin (on landing) & was pleasantly surprised! Absolutely NO shocks transferred into the cabin. That one moment was enough for me to buy the car (if I was in the market).

Other points:

The vehicle had done ~4K & absolutely NO rattles! For the kind of abuse done, I believe the car will hold well. But the grab handle in the middle row behind the driver was making some stupid noise.

Leather felt / looked premium.

Suspension suspension suspension! Lovely.

Some of the interiors started wearing out at less than 4K kms. One was the gear knob & second near the door handle (front passenger). Not a good sign!

Overall, I am sold except

1. No urban bronze on LX.
2. 4x4 only on top end.

Kudos TATA to keep LX price at 9.95L ex showroom Bangalore. Please do offer 4x4 on all variants or atleast from EX onwards. It's insane to expect people to shell out 17L for a 4x4 in Bangalore.

Will I buy one? Which version?

Yes. LX seems worth the dough if I don't need a 4x4! Still need to go thru the specs & features of other variants. If TATA is indeed bringing a 2 DIN & some more stuffs, will be super!

Report on Xtreme drive will be done in some time. Do NOT expect the obstacle course pics please. Will post something new. Please hold on! :-)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th January 2013 at 19:25.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 19:49   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
1. No urban bronze on LX.
No, urban bronze in LX! That is surely disappointing : TATA
Old 11th January 2013, 20:22   #349
Team-BHP Support

Happened to check the Storme in person. No, I didn't drive the Car and it didn't feel much different either, but I think I like the Storme's interior & exterior when compared with the 2.2 VTT Safari.

The only thing I remember is, I opened & closed the door 5 - 6 times. It sounded nice & closed with precision.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th January 2013 at 20:24.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 20:53   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
...The only thing I remember is, I opened & closed the door 5 - 6 times. It sounded nice & closed with precision.
+1. How did I miss posting it! It sounded so nice & premium too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Hope such events are done at Chennai as well. Any Chennai members aware of this ?
From what I know, next is Hyderabad and Chennai after that. Please check with your dealer & request for a pass. Am sure they will oblige.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th January 2013 at 20:57.
Old 11th January 2013, 22:34   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Went to the Xtreme Drive event yesterday (10 Jan 2013). Thanks Hari (Lukeskywalker) for the invites & Karthik from Prerana for extending help to give us the first slot. My friends were quite happy too. Am SMITTEN by the capability of this car.
Report on Xtreme drive will be done in some time. Do NOT expect the obstacle course pics please. Will post something new. Please hold on! :-)
I too had very similar findings after the xtreme off road event, however it wasn't taken in the right spirits by the few current safari owners.

Very happy to read your experience.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th January 2013 at 10:30. Reason: See note in post
Old 11th January 2013, 23:11   #352
BHPian

Good evening everyone!!! Happy New Year to all. I have been a die hard fan of Tata Safari since 2000. My last safari was the 3.0ltr Dicor VX model. Today I visited to see the Storme. The fit and finish is good but i felt the space inside has been reduced and even the height has been reduced. I could not td as there was no demo vehicle.

I was hoping to go for the new storme but there are few issues which is delaying the decision -

1) My dad is 6ft tall and he mostly prefers sitting in the front seats, when he sat in the storme he felt the roof had was low compared to old safari and his head was almost hitting the ac blower roof.

2) Even the seats at the last row have become smaller.

3) i enquired with the dealer about the 2.2 vx model If available he enquired and said an 2011 model vx is there. He can offer 1 lakh discount on it

What should I do should i try to grab this offer.?

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2013 at 10:37. Reason: PM coming up
Old 11th January 2013, 23:57   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what I know, next is Hyderabad and Chennai after that. Please
May be Kochi! Probably Keralites perception about Tata may change with Storme.
Old 12th January 2013, 09:25   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyquest View Post
I was hoping to go for the new storme but there are few issues which is delaying the decision -
1) My dad is 6ft tall and he mostly prefers sitting in the front seats, when he sat in the storme he felt the roof had was low compared to old safari and his head was almost hitting the ac blower roof.
2) Even the seats at the last row have become smaller.
3) i enquired with the dealer about the 2.2 vx model If available he enquired and said an 2011 model vx is there. He can offer 1 lakh discount on it

What should i do should i try to grab this offer.?
I believe, you meant 2012 VX for a lakh discount.
I suggest you take a better/long test drive before deciding on existing Safari. Reason being the price difference b/w Storme VX and Safari VX is very much justified [positive towards Storme] in all aspects - both mechanical and features/ride/handling.

It might be a matter of getting used to the new [Storme] seats & interior compared to Safari's.

Prem.
Old 12th January 2013, 10:45   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
May be Kochi! Probably Keralites perception about Tata may change with Storme.
May be Kochi also gets an event. The events are actually parallel. When the Bangalore event was going on, there was an event happening in Kolkata also, was what I was told.
Old 12th January 2013, 10:58   #356
BHPian

I was at the xtreme drive event in Bangalore yesterday with my wife and mom. My wife was very impressed seeing all the stunts that safari was performing. Mom was not comfortable seeing all that and didn't join the ride. I have driven the older safari for a few thousand kms, mostly on Highways. I was always impressed by the ride quality but was never happy about the braking and the steering vagueness. The Storme is definitely miles ahead in terms of braking. The steering has better feedback now. I am 6 feet 2, did not have any issues with the seating position. The vehicle was driven around 3.9k kms, a few squeaking noises were coming from the back. I was not too impressed with the interiors. I feel the Aria kind of interiors would have done justice to the Storme. I had a long chat with the marketing guy Ankit. He said he was in the team which came up with the concept of this event, and when I enquired if there were any other new things coming up from tata, he said that the nano diesel would be coming out soon. Overall a very good experience, not mightily impressed but a very good improvement over the existing safari.
Old 12th January 2013, 13:15   #357
Senior - BHPian

I had gone to the Great India Place Mall in Noida where I was driven around a specially laid out course in the Strome . I was impressed with the capabilities of the vehicle and asked for a test drive vehicle to be sent to my residence the next day.

This was about 4-5 weeks back. Since then I have been given 3 commitments about a TD but the vehicle has nevere turned up. I have got a number of calls from the dealer and Tata Motors telecallers ( who by the way speak to you in chaste Hindi which is not what people speak every day andputs you off) asking about my response to the TD. I believe either the vehicle is being sent some where else or not being sent at all.

As has been the case Tata Motors Dealers ( Oberoi Motors Noida in this case) need to learn about meeting commitments and treating potential customers ( of a Rs 15 lakh vehicle) better. If this is the attitude of the dealer now before the sale, I fear the post purchase experience will be a lot worse.
Old 12th January 2013, 14:52   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhu_Bengaluru View Post
I feel the Aria kind of interiors would have done justice to the Storme.
The export model has beautiful black interiors with front facing 3rd row. I was hoping the Lx would come with this. The Indian fascination for Beige is the reason for this I guess. Also I feel the Storme with black body cladding would look really cool. Am quite sure there would be a variant slotted below the Lx with all this minus music system, ABS later this year maybe
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 11:50   #359
BHPian

Just saw the storme VX (demo car) outside ABS motors gurgaon. The car had a PEPS system, with a sensor on the driver side door handle and the 'start stop' button instead of the regular key hole. Wonder if its an acter market fit, on a demo car. Or is TML offerring it on all VX's now. Attaching a couple of pics of the same.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130114_114948.png
Views: 1878
Size:  423.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130114_115028.png
Views: 1769
Size:  413.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130114_115020.png
Views: 1902
Size:  385.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130114_115013.png
Views: 1831
Size:  227.7 KB
em17 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 13:31   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
The export model has beautiful black interiors with front facing 3rd row. I was hoping the Lx would come with this. The Indian fascination for Beige is the reason for this I guess. Also I feel the Storme with black body cladding would look really cool. Am quite sure there would be a variant slotted below the Lx with all this minus music system, ABS later this year maybe
Hi Narayan, where did you see this?

From my sources, they are yet to even begin production of the export models. And those who have sat on the front facing third row seats find them pretty uncomfortable (in comparison to the jump seats).

Also, there "might" be a cheaper no-frills version coming out "soon" which will be positioned below the LX.

Most Viewed