Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2015, 20:26   #4006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
The guys at Concorde mentioned that since wires are less in EX, they can't do it. This is frustrating.

Thanks storme_on_d_way.
Do the across-Storme dive-and-retract in super quick motion that I do.

Always remember to unlock the seat-belt first

P.S. Always make it a habit to stare into ORVM and glare menacingly at two wheeler guy inching forward about to make burst through impossibly narrow opening.

And after all of that, sit back and pray .....
Old 13th May 2015, 18:36   #4007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I am manufacturing ORVM's and supplying them to some OEMs (read: OEM vendors, and not the car manufacturers) and into replacement market primarily. To the best of my knowledge, they cant be retro fitted on the older variant. Retractable ones have got 6 wires compared to three of normal ones. You need to give an external switch along with proper wiring that does include cutting n slicing the wires which invariably leads to a lapse of warranty. In company fitted ones, they are already equipped with the wiring and switch both of course.
The engineers should design parts in a more compatible way. This will generate some additional revenues for TML from upgrading parts. So, if someone from TML management is reading this, please sell this idea, that I am giving you free of cost, to your boss and grab an early promotion. All we want as customers are more practical choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
The guys at Concorde mentioned that since wires are less in EX, they can't do it. This is frustrating.

Thanks storme_on_d_way.
I really feel sorry for you.
Old 13th May 2015, 20:26   #4008
BHPian

Checked out the new Storme displayed and what I found was the steering wheel is not exactly the zest's just that the design has a family resemblance now. The size ,thickness and the horn pad all are different. Its also softer to touch compared to zest and definitely felt good.
Also found that there is no change in pricing except LX which now starts at 9.99 lakh. New Storme starts with a a 30000rs exchange bonus!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20150513_193224154.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20150513_193430564.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img20150513wa0003.jpg  

Last edited by damodar : 13th May 2015 at 20:43.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 21:22   #4009
BHPian

If I remember correctly, the old storme LX was launched at 9.95 lac too ( ex.showroom delhi), which was equipped with all the features this new facelift misses out on. They had later on increased the price of LX to 10.4 lac. What have we gained here ? Why do they wait to see the sales plummeting and then try to do the damage work by giving discounts. In storme's case, even that strategy has not worked so far and those discounts have never managed to bring the sales up to a respectable level. They should instead price the variants sensibly.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 13th May 2015 at 21:31.
Old 13th May 2015, 21:31   #4010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
If I remember correctly, the old storme LX was launched at 9.95 lac too ( ex.showroom delhi), which was equipped with all the features this new facelift misses out on. They had later on increased the price of LX to 10.4 lac. What have we gained here ?
The increased price was because of higher excise duty post December 2014. It has effected all SUVs by 6% from 24% to 30%.http://m.economictimes.com/industry/...w/45688963.cms

Last edited by damodar : 13th May 2015 at 21:38.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 21:34   #4011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
The increased price was because of higher excise duty post December 2014. It has effected all vehicles above 1500 cc engines by 5 % from 22% to 27%.
True. My point is when the LX variant loses out on so many features which were there in the earlier version launched at the same price, does this make sense here? I was hoping that the base model here could start from 8.99 because it has literally been stripped off. Despite that, it would have drawn customers had they cut down on the prices as well.
Old 13th May 2015, 22:50   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Are the prices out? I would have expected the Lx to be 7.99, Ex at 9.99, Vx at 10.99 and 4x4 at 12.49 ex showroom. When will Tata learn that they are not really 80% fortuner at 50% the price. They are in reality between Xylo and Scorpio. With brand recall down in the dumps, they need to be aggressive. New Storme will also be a dud and then the wait for the Hexa starts. Grow up Tata.
Old 14th May 2015, 09:21   #4013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Are the prices out? I would have expected the Lx to be 7.99, Ex at 9.99, Vx at 10.99 and 4x4 at 12.49 ex showroom. When will Tata learn that they are not really 80% fortuner at 50% the price. They are in reality between Xylo and Scorpio. With brand recall down in the dumps, they need to be aggressive. New Storme will also be a dud and then the wait for the Hexa starts. Grow up Tata.
You are grossly off mark. Now a days hatchbacks are costing 7.99L. In my view base version will cost 9.49L and will go all the way upto 14.49 for top end 4x4.
DieselFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 09:30   #4014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about the basis of your pricing expectations. You want a full-size SUV with very good engine to cost only as much as a 4 meter compact sedan or a premier hatchback? And that too just because its Tata? I think you need to think practically. If you want a Safari Storme at 7.99, you will get a 1.3 MJD engine in that, at max.
ajay_satpute is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 11:04   #4015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am not sure about the basis of your pricing expectations. You want a full-size SUV with very good engine to cost only as much as a 4 meter compact sedan or a premier hatchback? And that too just because its Tata? I think you need to think practically. If you want a Safari Storme at 7.99, you will get a 1.3 MJD engine in that, at max.
I agree.

Also did not get the part about the Storme being placed between the Xylo and the Scorpio. I personally consider the Storme to be a lot more SUV than the Scorpio and the Xylo is neither here nor there as the Bolero gets pitched against the Sumo.

I do understand the disappointment of losing a lot of the stuff the old LX came with and still being asked to pay the same. But then you could offset a bit of that disappointment by the fact that its now more than two years down the line, so inflationary impact, and the better state of engine tune and the improved self adjusting concentric clutch. I don't see any of the other bits (grille, seat fabric, etc. as improvements per se).

I definitely do not like the look of the new steering (a truck should have a truck's steering - simple and raw, with no fiddly bits). Not only that, the loss of the lower stalks on both sides means that I cannot hold the new steering (with fingers wedged on either side) as I hold mine. The upper "stalk" now is (1) too high up (shoulder and upper arm pain over long distances); and (2) it has various buttons which prevent you from gripping properly there for fear of inadvertently pressing some of them. Admittedly though, the right stalk which is the one I usually grip, is pretty barebone and free except for a single button placed far away. So I guess someone must have given this some thought. This may come across as an incongruous argument to those of you who are used to having and driving cars with steering controls, but its what I feel.

Long and short of it, personally the LX with the rear drums, no ABS, and smaller wheels is a big no-no to an individual buyer. Maybe bulk purchase discounts (and tax write-offs) for car fleet owners will offset the price dichotomy otherwise. I personally would not buy it, and would look at the EX or above alone for family use.

Last edited by ebonho : 14th May 2015 at 11:17.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 11:12   #4016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. At 7.99, 9.99, and 12.99 please consider what vehicles you will get at those price points currently. At the lowest you will get a sub-4-meter 'sedan', while at the highest you may get a couple of wannabe crossovers with 1.1/1.3/1.5 engines shared with several other hatchbacks and sedans.

2. When will Tata learn that they are not really 80% Fortuner at 50% price? You're right - they are much more than that.

Tata has grown over a half century and more from a manufacturer of locomotives and assembler of Benz trucks, but when will the never-customer-forever-critic grow up?

Never, I guess.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 11:24   #4017
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
when will the never-customer-forever-critic grow up?
When the newer version of vehicle does not have lesser features than older version of the vehicle. Like the Storme LX coming without ABS and Discs all around in new Avatar, but with the same in the older version.

And maybe when you can just make a phone call, get your car picked up for service, and returned unmolested, not requiring multiple trips to the workshop.

A manufacturer is not just the factory. The After sales service is also a big part of the equation. when over 10% of your customers are unhappy, your reputation takes a beating.

I remember reading a study is that all it takes is a about 8.2% of unsatisfied customers to bring upon a brands downfall.

The Storme was the biggest opportunity Tata had to turn the tables. When I reviewed the vehicle, I could make out what kind of solid engineering effort has gone into it.
Even today, the first gen storme is a much better vehicle than Scorpio. Handling, space, comfort... Scorpio does not come close on any of these fronts.

But go to any Tata forum, and you will see that even in big cities with 10 workshops, there is just one which everybody recommends. That peace of mind is missing.

Until Tata starts pulling up their service centers, things will not improve. Just making a good vehicle is not enough. The Zest and Bolt show that amply. They are probably the best vehicles in that price range, but people are scared what will happen once warranty is over.

Unlike the west, we keep our vehicles for ten years or more. After 7 years with the Safari, I am fully aware about what happens once the warranty gets over. Part of it is product quality, and part of it is incompetence on part of service centers.
Product quality bit is 90% taken care off, but the service center bit, I do not see Tata getting strict with their service centers yet.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 11:39   #4018
Senior - BHPian

Absolutley agree to what you say Tanveer.
Having said that , my own take is that- the ever crtic - never customer - regardless of the price points, will still find a way and reason to critisize and still not buy the car.
Old 14th May 2015, 11:40   #4019
Senior - BHPian

A Storme Base or Mid Variant with 4WD + LSD on one hand, and Airbags + ABS on the other, would have met the needs of a large market segment. I was hoping that this mid life refresh would have seen TML introduce these variants. True that this would have cannibalized the sales of the VX 4wd, but I think it would have generated far more in sales numbers terms. What a miss from TML! Again! :(
Old 14th May 2015, 11:40   #4020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
And maybe when you can just make a phone call, get your car picked up for service, and returned unmolested, not requiring multiple trips to the workshop.
Check!

I agree with the points you have made, and pleased as punch at your opinion of the first gen Storme.

Tanveer one thing I have noticed (in my Baleno and now with my Storme), is that the "first" sales and delivery and service rapport you make is the one that lasts you the lifetime of your vehicle.

Sure, per the rules any authorized service center is supposed to give you equal attention. But the reality on the ground is that special sense of ownership ("yeh apni gaddi hai" in shopfloor talk) is just not there. Forget going that extra mile to please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks