Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 10:59   #4051
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
Just worried on roll over. Reading that there is not any improvement on new Storme compared to old one on this area. Do we have any incidents like this before? I am a hatchback / SUV guy. Any thing to keep in mind? Like quick overtake, curvey roads, sharp bends etc. Your suggestions would help finalize the car.
Dear Black Beast - hello to you. Please remember that tire pressure plays a critical role in determining vehicle dynamics performance. This is as elementary as ABC, but in India, a vast majority of normal customers do not pay attention to this very basic need. So, as mentioned by Vistasp (ebonho), first please determine what tire pressure you are running when you evaluate any vehicle. Your understanding and compliance with this very simple requirement will transform your every drive from total drudgery to pure enjoyment.

On a lighter note: this actually happened with me in my last job. A vehicle in XYZ city was "pulling to one side", "making noise from suspension" and "generally misbehaving"! As per the instruction "go immediately to XYZ city", I took the morning Jet Airways flight from Mumbai, enjoyed the nice cheese omlette breakfast and "tea please" in my usual 10F seat, went to the dealership in the middle of the city, saw the vehicle, took it out (alone), came back after an hour (enjoyed a chicken maharaja mac, medium fries and large coke), told the service advisor to drive it himself and check it out, he was surprised because he found it very good, "Saar, now aabsolootely no peerablem Saar"! So I told him to wash the car, vacuum it, perfume it and deliver it back to the "kush-tum-ber". As I had a platinum card, I preponed my evening flight and by 4PM I was back in office in Mumbai! The tire pressure as recieved was 19psi, I corrected it to 32psi. So, I went to XYZ city and came back, to fill air in the tires! These things happen! Jet Airways Platinum Card Zindabad! Airport lounge Zindabad! .

ENJOY! .

PS: I am not shine maroing! TeamBHPians should know, so that they can be careful, hence I have mentioned. It takes not less than 3 months for you to determine your personal perfect tire pressure for your vehicle!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 23rd May 2015 at 11:01.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 11:18   #4052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
It takes not less than 3 months for you to determine your personal perfect tire pressure for your vehicle!
Agree 100%.

Sir with all due respect to Tata Motors R&D and Bridgestone R&D, for me personally it is 33 PSI all four when driving solo. Not 32. Best neutral rolling feel-jumping negation combination.

Then there is the usual game of Russian Roullette trying to guess which of the 5-6 air places you generally frequent is the "correct" one .....
Old 23rd May 2015, 13:41   #4053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Agree 100%. For me personally it is 33 PSI all four when driving solo. Not 32. Best neutral rolling feel-jumping negation combination. Then there is the usual game of Russian Roullette trying to guess which of the 5-6 air places you generally frequent is the "correct" one.
Dear Vistasp - now I agree with you 100%. You are a real expert now (so if you face a recession in the medical profession, you can find an alternate avenue now). .

There is a huge difference in the performance between 32psi and 33psi, provided air is filled correctly with a calibrated gage. In Pune, I have found that the gage of the petrol pump bang opposite Pune RTO is correct. The staff are differentially challenged, so you have to convey your requirement to them in sign language. They are very good in their work. I fill from there only, on my way to work at around 0745 hrs. Try it out.

By the way, I am now doing the same exercise on my new "perk car", which I got about a month back! I'll tell you some extremely interesting things about the optimization of tires and tire pressure when we meet. Since last Saturday when I took it to Mumbai, I am in the middle of the third iteration. The nuances are so fine, I had to repeat one manoeuvre at least 50 times to even begin to understand what is happening. After optimizing with air, I'll move to Nitrogen, I have not tried so far.

Don't try anything on the stretch of the Mumbai expressway from its start at the Pune end to the first toll booth, the surface in this stretch is not good, movement in the Z axis is very high here. After the toll booth, it is fine. .

Best regards,

Behram
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 13:50   #4054
Senior - BHPian

Any news related to the facelifted Storme? I saw the facelifted model standing in Tata showroom, but its not yet launched officially. Whats going on?
Old 23rd May 2015, 13:53   #4055
BHPian

Thanks guys. Appreciate and will get the rotation done next week.

BD - I will try and send you the photos soon.
Old 25th May 2015, 08:49   #4056
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs BD Sir and ebonho Sir. Shall keep these things and try my drive.
Black_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 11:44   #4057
Senior - BHPian

Dear Behram Ji,

Can you please comment on the question below ? In case this is a thread spoiler I will move it elsewhere , Basically only 4X4 VX is with LSD and all others have open diff what happens when friction modifier meant for LSD is added in open diff.
My own theory is that modifier is reducing friction so should not harm ?

Any inputs ?

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
As this concerns Storme owners as well and BD sir is active here posting it on this thread as well.

What happens when friction modifier is added in differential oil in an open differential ( no LSD). I think only 4X4 storme VX has LSD and others are without. Is it harmless or can decrease life of diff ?
Old 25th May 2015, 11:56   #4058
Senior - BHPian

I think "rolling over" is something you dont need to worry about, unless one tries to drive the truck insanely, in which case any car which is driven in dangerous manner the result will be similar.

I have been driving dicor/3yrs/20+k kms on mostly winding/hilly roads and the truck's handling is fantastic!

Go for it!

Quote:
Just worried on roll over. Reading that there is not any improvement on new Storme compared to old one on this area. Do we have any incidents like this before?
I am a hatchback -> SUV guy. Any thing to keep in mind?

Like quick overtake, curvey roads, sharp bends etc...

Your suggestions would help finalize the Car.
lohithrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 12:21   #4059
BHPian

Quote:
Just worried on roll over. Reading that there is not any improvement on new Storme compared to old one on this area. Do we have any incidents like this before?
I am a hatchback -> SUV guy. Any thing to keep in mind?

Like quick overtake, curvey roads, sharp bends etc...

Your suggestions would help finalize the Car.
A novice's opinion - I had the 4X4 Safari 2.2 for a good 6yrs and I graduated from a Ford Ikon to the truck. And really with Hyderabad's erratic traffic and subsequent sudden turning/braking I never ever felt that the thing would topple. The one thing always on my mind used to be whether this 2k+ Kg beast would stop crisply when braking suddenly. Mine was the EX and didn't have ABS.

People say that everything's so much better in the Storme compared to the Safari, hence I feel there is no need to worry. GO GET IT.

I should hopefully be getting my new STORME tomorrow or day after
xbox360 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 09:48   #4060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post

Concorde guys told me that mine is going to be the very first Storme Refresh delivered in AP/Telangana region.

Have been told to come around 12 to take delivery. Wish me luck guys
xbox360 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 10:46   #4061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Concorde guys told me that mine is going to be the very first Storme Refresh delivered in AP/Telangana region.

All the best buddy! Do post photos and initial impressions here, before starting your formal ownership thread.
Old 26th May 2015, 11:26   #4062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A novice's opinion - I had the 4X4 Safari 2.2 for a good 6yrs and I graduated from a Ford Ikon to the truck. And really with Hyderabad's erratic traffic and subsequent sudden turning/braking I never ever felt that the thing would topple. The one thing always on my mind used to be whether this 2k+ Kg beast would stop crisply when braking suddenly. Mine was the EX and didn't have ABS.

People say that everything's so much better in the Storme compared to the Safari, hence I feel there is no need to worry. GO GET IT.

Congrats Brother.....time to test the baby on saturday
Old 26th May 2015, 12:36   #4063
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats . Wishing you happy mile crunching on the beast.
It has tremendous ride quality. A very very comfortable long distance cruiser.

Eagerly looking forward to the pictures and then the ownership thread.
Old 26th May 2015, 15:59   #4064
BHPian

Quote:
....I do understand the disappointment of losing a lot of the stuff the old LX came with and still being asked to pay the same. But then you could offset a bit of that disappointment by the fact that its now more than two years down the line, so inflationary impact....

....Long and short of it, personally the LX with the rear drums, no ABS, and smaller wheels is a big no-no to an individual buyer....
Guess TML is still planning to sell the pre-facelift storme along-with the new one for some time? (Concorde SA said so, but only till stocks are cleared, I guess). Anyway, if one was planning to buy an LX varient, he could probably book the older version. He would be entitled to an additional discount of 95k (50k- Cash discount + 45k exchange Bonus). I feel, this is a catch.

Quote:
I definitely do not like the look of the new steering (a truck should have a truck's steering - simple and raw, with no fiddly bits)
Second you on that buddy. I really liked the feel of the old steering and the fact that the audio controls were located on the RHS stalk, rather than the steering, making it uncluttered (unlike ARIA, XUV5OO, etc.).

Also, I felt that the angle of steering wheel is changed now, (other could confirm, maybe?) to make it a little more car-like perhaps. That might hamper the feel to some extent IMHO.
nerd1200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 16:11   #4065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Also, I felt that the angle of steering wheel is changed now, (other could confirm, maybe?) to make it a little more car-like perhaps. That might hamper the feel to some extent IMHO.
May be TML engineers have tried to answer the problem of steering brushing thighs/knees by changing the angle of steering.

Last edited by madhu33 : 26th May 2015 at 16:39.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks