Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2015, 13:05   #4111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You get an engine making 148bhp(10 more)
For a 2 year old 2+ ton vehicle, I would not upgrade for 10 bhp more (or is it actually 8?). Yes, its a great upgrade from Dicor (or older) vintage guys.

Quote:
, no clock
I could never understand why the old first gen Storme LX did not get a clock. I understand less why they have taken it off now. Such a nice touch, and would be costing peanuts.

Quote:
Well not reclining, but safari rear seat is still the most comfortable place you can be south of 15L
Agreed. But reclining would make it so much comfier. That's the impression I got the one time I sat in the middle row of a test Storme being driven to the dealer yard by a dealer guy. I do Mumbai Pune quite often in company Innova's with the middle row captain seats, and I sear by the comfort and flexibility of those. Given a choice, I would pick those over the Storme's middle row.

Quote:
Your prayers have been answered, it has a 63L tank
Will it fit the old Stormes? Any idea how much it would cost (I understand its not a normally replaceable item ....)?

Quote:
Again prayers answered. No more kneeing the steering wheel even for 6 feet + drivers!
That was not what I was referring to. I was referring to the center console fascia (the place which houses the music system , AC vents and controls, and the cup holders etc.) The left leg in driving position rests against it, and while its not a sharp edge, its not soft either. Padding it with some upholstery would give a plush feel and be a nice touch.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-15.jpg
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 15:54   #4112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Got the car yesterday folks, few pictures are attached.
Hi xbox360, heartiest congratulations. And eagerly awaiting an initial ownership report of sorts from you!
Old 1st June 2015, 23:21   #4113

WOW so many storme lovers...

I see some of TB & few personal friends (TATA its always 'NO') have already booked the newer version of this amazing vehicle (you live only once), there is nothing wrong about storme (current or new gen), and it is probably the best enginnered vehicle from TATA, for many it was all about fulfilling a childhood dream to own one of these magificient vehicles.
And, to reprimand, TATA had an amazing vehicle called SIERRA (my ex).
Now pardon my ignorance, if not for tsk1979, have you even considered about your service center? If not (RUN AWAY),
Now, to be one of the TATA's privileged customer, please visit their service centers and check for yourselves before you even conclude your decision on whether you really want to be associated with TATA.
Visit their service centers and you will be
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:37   #4114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Congratulations!
When you do PDI, try engaging 4L also. Once 4L light comes on, try turning the vehicle and you should face resistance.

In PDI they often neglect to check 4L. So you should always check it yourself.
Thanks Tanveer for the input. This time though I have bought the 2WD and not the 4WD and hence there's one less piece of tech to worry about.
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:41   #4115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I am having morning tea in front of my computer daydreaming about my first gen Storme EX exactly as it is, with the engine having an overnight shot of steroids and EPO and now pumping out 175 bhp with 400 Nm torque and a 6 speed manual box with similar throws and shift quality as in my Storme. With tyres to match. And the improved/tweaked suspension and handling to be able to utilize all of the above and stick to the road with confidence.

I am perfectly ok with my no airbags, purple backlit analog clock (a mini grandfather in Burma teak would be nicer), and my Alpine single DIN music system and the dash as it is.

Reclining seat back for second row would be nice too. Easily doable - wonder why they don't do it. The comfort and luxury level of an already very nice sofa will increase exponentially.

A bigger fuel tank too so that I can do at least 500 kms between fills. Currently I do 350-400.

Also reshape (or pad) the edge of the central console fascia against which my left leg/knee rest. And give the Storme the same comfortable soft flat wide window sills the Dicor has - perfect for resting your right elbow.

Such small tweaks to the key critical contact points can make a world of difference to the drive experience.

Also I don't know if other Storme drivers have experienced this, or I need to modify my seat position, but after driving 300-400 kms, the effort of keeping your right foot on the accelerator pedal starts giving me ankle cramps.
If you are serious about all the above needs Doc, it can be easily done in your truck, right now, no need to wait for a new improved version.
Let me try to list them down.
1) more power: Simple fix a DIY tuning box, available within 20-25k. Can boost your power easily upto 180bhp in the P3 mode. Lot of folks I know are using it in their Dicors and are smoking tyres (wheel spins) in 3rd gear!!! I have not observed any deterioration in their rides either.

2) Better handling: Storme handles well as it is. If you are in doubt, try taking the same corners and uneven roads in a Dicor, in a Scorpio and a XUV and you will have renewed respect for your ride. Ofcourse if money is no issue than with higher power one can always Ironman the suspension for better handling characteristics. About 80k only

3)Fuel tank.. I agree, I hate refueling every 450kms during a long trip.

4) Reclining middle bench. I am sure it can be done locally, but I am not bothered about it, I don't sit in the middle row

5) I never faced my knee in contact with the central console or the steering wheel and neither experienced leg/foot pain using the clutch or accelerator in spite of driving 1200kms in 17 hours from Ooty to Hyderabad. I am exactly 6 foot tall.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:15   #4116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
If you are serious about all the above needs Doc, it can be easily done in your truck, right now, no need to wait for a new improved version.
Let me try to list them down.
1) more power: Simple fix a DIY tuning box, available within 20-25k. Can boost your power easily upto 180bhp in the P3 mode. Lot of folks I know are using it in their Dicors and are smoking tyres (wheel spins) in 3rd gear!!! I have not observed any deterioration in their rides either.
A friend of mine has the Race Dynamics box on his Dicor and swears by it. He actually claims it improves the mileage as well. But are these Race Dynamics boxes available for the Storme (and programmed especially for the Storme) or will they try to push off the Dicor one only as a one size fits all?

That said, isn't 180 bhp a very very very TALL claim? An almost 30% increase in power for 25K sounds like the holy grail (or the unicorn - depending how you choose to see it) of budget tuning.

Quote:
2) Better handling: Storme handles well as it is. If you are in doubt, try taking the same corners and uneven roads in a Dicor, in a Scorpio and a XUV and you will have renewed respect for your ride. Ofcourse if money is no issue than with higher power one can always Ironman the suspension for better handling characteristics. About 80k only
The Storme does handle beautifully. Yes, my standard SUV test track/proving ground prior to buying the Storme, for all the dealer vehicles that came home, was to take it to the Bapdev Ghat that is about 15 kms from my place (one way). Clim the ghat pushing the vehicle, then descend and head back home in an equally spirited manner. The Storme was a revelation. The worst was the Innova (simply no climbing legs). The Scorpio was scary. The Xylo actually better than the Scorpio. The XUV was slightly better than the Aria, but the Aria I got was a choked up/sluggish version. I somehow never get people complaining about the turbo and the gearing and how the Storme climbs. The Storme climbs beautifully.

Quote:
3)Fuel tank.. I agree, I hate refueling every 450kms during a long trip.
Have you tried to find out if the new fuel tank wil fit our Stormes? Cost?

Quote:
4) Reclining middle bench. I am sure it can be done locally, but I am not bothered about it, I don't sit in the middle row
LOL my middle row is the nerve center of my long drives. If people over there are happy, then I am happy. The happier they are, the sleepier they are.

Quote:
5) I never faced my knee in contact with the central console or the steering wheel and neither experienced leg/foot pain using the clutch or accelerator in spite of driving 1200kms in 17 hours from Ooty to Hyderabad. I am exactly 6 foot tall.
Where do you rest your left knee? In the air, upright, without touching the side fascia?

What is you seat position setting (I'm assuming the steering is highest setting)?
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:16   #4117
BHPian

Just checked, the new website seems to have gone live:

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-capture.png
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:31   #4118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine has the Race Dynamics box on his Dicor and swears by it. He actually claims it improves the mileage as well. But are these Race Dynamics boxes available for the Storme (and programmed especially for the Storme) or will they try to push off the Dicor one only as a one size fits all?

That said, isn't 180 bhp a very very very TALL claim? An almost 30% increase in power for 25K sounds like the holy grail (or the unicorn - depending how you choose to see it) of budget tuning.

The Storme does handle beautifully. Yes, my standard SUV test track/proving ground prior to buying the Storme, for all the dealer vehicles that came home, was to take it to the Bapdev Ghat that is about 15 kms from my place (one way). Clim the ghat pushing the vehicle, then descend and head back home in an equally spirited manner. The Storme was a revelation. The worst was the Innova (simply no climbing legs). The Scorpio was scary. The Xylo actually better than the Scorpio. The XUV was slightly better than the Aria, but the Aria I got was a choked up/sluggish version. I somehow never get people complaining about the turbo and the gearing and how the Storme climbs. The Storme climbs beautifully.

Have you tried to find out if the new fuel tank wil fit our Stormes? Cost?

LOL my middle row is the nerve center of my long drives. If people over there are happy, then I am happy. The happier they are, the sleepier they are.

Where do you rest your left knee? In the air, upright, without touching the side fascia?

What is you seat position setting (I'm assuming the steering is highest setting)?
Doc, 180 bhp may not be a tall claim, I have not dyno tested any car, but using OBD scanners and applications like torque etc, the wheel bhp on a dicor goes up from 90-95 bhp to more like 115-120 bhp in P3, so yes the claim may be true. The race dynamics box seems standard for the Dicor engine only, not sure how it performs on the Storme's engine, but I believe the 2.2 Dicor and Storme engine are the same sans some plumbing and rerouting of ancillaries.

Fuel tank retrofit may not be possible unless we have a closer look at how Tata have positioned the rear spare in the new Storme to see if the 63 liter tank will fit in our cars.

My left leg is either operating the clutch, or I have a happy space with my foot below the clutch when in cruise on highways in 5th gear, in either case I have no fouling of knees, even when entering or exiting the car. My seat position is highest and the steering position is highest too. I like the bus/truck like position this provides...

Some OT you may find interesting: Using the OBD2 scanner, I observed that in the 2.2 Dicor the turbo boost is almost 16-18 psi in the torque band!! this compared to my Storme, the turbo boost is 11-13 psi.. so I believe Tata have lowered the peak boost, in interest of longevity or to make the torque more linear.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:39   #4119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some OT you may find interesting: Using the OBD2 scanner, I observed that in the 2.2 Dicor the turbo boost is almost 16-18 psi in the torque band!! this compared to my Storme, the turbo boost is 11-13 psi.. so I believe Tata have lowered the peak boost, in interest of longevity or to make the torque more linear.
That's what most Dicor guys exclaim about the first time they drive a Storme. The "hit" they get in the Dicor is missing in the Storme.

I might gift myself the RD box once the extended warranty is over. Right now I am most happy with my truck.
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:00   #4120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's what most Dicor guys exclaim about the first time they drive a Storme. The "hit" they get in the Dicor is missing in the Storme.

I might gift myself the RD box once the extended warranty is over. Right now I am most happy with my truck.
That turbo kick is addictive TML got a lot of bashing from know-all reviewers about torque not being linear etc back in the days of 2.2 VTT dicor :-) probably that's why they toned it down.
May be I am mistaken and memories might have faded so please check old threads on TBHP itself to cross verify.

No "knowledgeable enthusiast auto expert" however deemed it necessary to write that pushing pedal is purely optional and user has a choice to go soft.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:10   #4121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clim the ghat pushing the vehicle, then descend and head back home in an equally spirited manner. The Storme was a revelation. The worst was the Innova (simply no climbing legs). The Scorpio was scary. The Xylo actually better than the Scorpio. The XUV was slightly better than the Aria
Though a bit here and we can very well debate this in other relevant thread, but would like to know, what exactly was your experience with the Innova, when you say "simply no climbing legs". I have at least not come across any such situation in the last 7 months (12K kms) driving my Innova. If you can accompany me I would be glad to carry out the same test of Bapdev Ghat in my Innova
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:24   #4122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Though a bit here and we can very well debate this in other relevant thread, but would like to know, what exactly was your experience with the Innova, when you say "simply no climbing legs".
Its sluggish. And needs to be kept on the boil, keeping the momentum. If you lose it, in slow moving traffic, it takes a long time to start picking up momentum again.

This is all of course in relation to the other vehicles being tested.

Quote:
I have at least not come across any such situation in the last 7 months (12K kms) driving my Innova. If you can accompany me I would be glad to carry out the same test of Bapdev Ghat in my Innova
I'm glad you are happy with your Innova, and I think its an awesomely comfortable and refined 7 seater. Probably the best in the business. Which is why I very much wanted to like it and even after the disappointment of the first test drive, called for another from a different dealer.

Sadly, the same story. In fact this time on NIBM road heading towards Corinthian (coming back to NIBM). Got caught behind some slow moving morons on the steep narrow section and after that the Innova just died and took ages to build up steam again.

Had the same experience in a friend's full laden (5 adults) Innova coming back to Pune from a trek to Torna when I was driving.

When I say died, ages, etc. my points of reference are the other cars being driven (the SUVs, Crossovers, and MUVs being discussed) or which I have been driving regularly (Esteem, Zen, Baleno).

The reason I (at the time) wanted to like the Innova (there are still many posts by me on the subject, even a thread) is that I wanted a proper 7 seater to have my parents along on drives as well. None of the SUVs can do that. The Crosovers can. Sadly, the Innova just did not appeal to me, so there was no point in pushing beyond a point.

P.S. A few of these test drives were pre Storme and I actually did a cursory re-test of the Innova once again (my kids and wife just rolled their eyes and wondered why I bothered) when the Storme was launched and I got to test it before making my decision.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd June 2015 at 18:32.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:29   #4123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though a bit here and we can very well debate this in other relevant thread, but would like to know, what exactly was your experience with the Innova, when you say "simply no climbing legs". I have at least not come across any such situation in the last 7 months (12K kms) driving my Innova. If you can accompany me I would be glad to carry out the same test of Bapdev Ghat in my Innova
Even an auto rickshaw will climb the ghat, or that matter even the Khardungla. Will I enjoy driving the short geared and underpowered Innova on any highway forget a ghat? IMO No. That coupled with the horrible booming sound and coarse sounding engine post 2500 rpm is irritating as a passenger, forget as a driver...
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:30   #4124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its sluggish. And needs to be kept on the boil, keeping the momentum. If you lose it, in slow moving traffic, it takes a long time to start picking up momentum again.
I can undertsnad and would agree with you if you are referring to tripple digit speeds here. Innova looses it steam beyond 100-110 kmph. But in slow moving traffic you can easily catch up, provided you are in the right gear. In my daily drive from office to home and back (60 kms) I have never been left behind in slow moving traffic.

Quote:
Sadly, the same story. In fact this time on NIBM road heading towards Corinthian (coming back to NIBM). Got caught behind some slow moving morons on the steep narrow section and after that the Innova just died and took ages to build up steam again.

Had the same experience in a friend's full laden (5 adults) Innova coming back to Pune from a trek to Torna when I was driving.

When I say died, ages, etc. my points of reference are the other cars being driven (the SUVs, Crossovers, and MUVs being discussed) or which I have been driving regularly (Esteem, Zen, Baleno).
Ok, now I understand your refernce points. The cars you mentioned above (Esteem, Zen, Baleno) are quite zippy and petrol driven. Moreover Innova weighs almost twice of the above cars if not more. Diesel engines being inherently sluggish and bulky cannot match the zippiness of the above cars.

Quote:
The reason I (at the time) wanted to like the Innova (there are still many posts by me on the subject, even a thread) is that I wanted a proper 7 seater to have my parents along on drives as well. None of the SUVs can do that. The Crosovers can. Sadly, the Innova just did not appeal to me, so there was no point in pushing beyond a point.
This is such an irony to my choice of the Innova. No other SUV/MUV (Scorpio, Safari, XUV etc) or pseudo MUV (Ertiga, Mobilio, Enjoy etc) can carry 7 adults in decent comfort over long distances, hence I zeroed in on the Innova. Moreover Innova is such a breeze to drive even in crowded cities and most importantly it fits in my apartment parking perfectly. None of the SUVs mentioned above (Scorpio, Safari, XUV etc) could do that.

Quote:
Even an auto rickshaw will climb the ghat, or that matter even the Khardungla. Will I enjoy driving the short geared and underpowered Innova on any highway forget a ghat? IMO No. That coupled with the horrible booming sound and coarse sounding engine post 2500 rpm is irritating as a passenger, forget as a driver...
I completely agree with you if you are the lone person travelling in your car and want to enjoy driving thoroughly. But then why go for a MUV when you alone want to enjoy, any two seater sports car will serve the purpose. MUVs are meant more for the comfort and convinience of the passengers, leave alone the adrenaline rush for the driver. I am yet to see an autorickshaw crossing the Khardungla. If you have some pictures of a rick doing that, I would appreciate if you can share that as an evidence. I agree on plain straight highways, Innova will be huffing and puffing to keep pace with other cars, but on the twisties and ghats, it still shines. Ever wondered why you find so many Innovas in the higher reaches of Himachal, Uttaranchal, Leh-Laddakh etc?
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:36   #4125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree with you if you are the lone person travelling in your car and want to enjoy driving thoroughly. But then why go for a MUV when you alone want to enjoy, any two seater sports car will serve the purpose. MUVs are meant more for the comfort and convinience of the passengers, leave alone the adrenaline rush for the driver. I am yet to see an autorickshaw crossing the Khardungla. If you have some pictures of a rick doing that, I would appreciate if you can share that as an evidence. I agree on plain straight highways, Innova will be huffing and puffing to keep pace with other cars, but on the twisties and ghats, it still shines. Ever wondered why you find so many Innovas in the higher reaches of Himachal, Uttaranchal, Leh-Laddakh etc?
A bike will also be sufficient for a single person. The reason I chose the Safari earlier and now the Storme is the pure pleasure in driving and covering/cruising vast distances in great comfort.

Rickshaw up the ghats is not new, there are enough articles out there which a simple google search will provide.
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/ladak...ickshaw-583322 OT

Innova is not a sports car to shine up twisties, it can barely keep up modern traffic, and the body roll in the last row is puke inducing, I have experienced this first hand for 15 days with my family in Kashmir, where we traveled in a hired Innova.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed