Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 11:07   #4201
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviddenis View Post
I do not have much knowledge of pricing but Seat covers in art leather seem to be very highly priced at 13K. Look forwards to all of you to guide on what makes sense and at what cost. Also, should I explore accessories from outside and if so any reliable source in Gurgaon?
Depends on the quality and brand to a large extent. 13K for full Safari/Storme is actually pretty cheap. Mine (Autoform) cost me considerably more about 2 years ago. But my experience with Autoform has been top notch. The genuine MGA provided black seat covers in my Baleno lasted me over 10years and have just now frayed on the driver seat only in just two spots (both due to metal rivets of jeans).

Last edited by ebonho : 15th June 2015 at 11:09.
Old 15th June 2015, 15:57   #4202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I'm far from being an expert, but a few details you should provide that will help the experts answer are:

1. Model of your vehicle (LX...)
2. 2WD or 4WD
3. Where the vehicle is located, and to which airport did your father drive
4. When was the vehicle serviced last

If your father applied the hand brake, it could be do to the brakepads sticking, esp if they were hot due to a lot of application during the drive to the airport. Assuming your father took it easy on the way back fearing that the issue may reoccur, this may not have happened again. The ASC should try and replicate the conditions your father encountered when driving to the airport.

If the vehicle is 4WD, was any 4WD mode engaged at any point during the journey? Accidentally?

Sorry, just my 2 bits from a layman's perspective.

I apologize for not including all the details. Let me add more information.

(1) Model Storme EX
(2) 2WD
(3) Vehicle is located in about 100 kms from Nagpur (and it gets very hot there around this time of the year). The drive was to Nagpur airport during the afternoon.
(4) Vehicle was last serviced in May 2015 (3rd service, if I am not wrong, which included first oil change etc.)

The hand brake pads getting hot during the drive is unlikely since our region is mostly plains and my father does not have a habit of using handbrake during regular driving. His previous car was a 3L Safari Dicor for eight years, so he is used to driving a vehicle of similar size/power.

In my previous post I had mentioned that my father was planning to take the vehicle to ASC last Saturday, but that had to be rescheduled due to other priorities. I will update the verdict from ASC once they check the vehicle, until then I welcome your speculations, questions etc.
Old 15th June 2015, 18:29   #4203
BHPian

Quote:

What is being suggested are Seat covers (Rs. 13000), Navigation System (Garmin for Rs. 9800), GPS Tracking device for Rs. 8000, Nudge Guard for Rs. 16000, and Day running Light for Rs. 12385.
Few more days to go, everyday would be like a week to pass time. Enjoy the delivery. Are you not planning for Rear View Camera? Wanted to ask rest of them using Storme. Is installing a Rear View Camera safe in terms of warranty? Any suggestions on the brand?
Old 15th June 2015, 19:42   #4204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Depends on the quality and brand to a large extent. 13K for full Safari/Storme is actually pretty cheap. Mine (Autoform) cost me considerably more about 2 years ago. But my experience with Autoform has been top notch. The genuine MGA provided black seat covers in my Baleno lasted me over 10years and have just now frayed on the driver seat only in just two spots (both due to metal rivets of jeans).
Thanks for your inputs. What you say makes sense. My own experience with MGA for my Esteem has been very good. Guess, I will go ahead with the dealer recommended seat covers after seeing the quality and fit.

Any views on the DRL? 12,000 for DRL actually seem outrageous, given the fact that I have almost burst my budget to fullfill the dream of getting the beast home. Are there cheaper options without voiding the warranty. Otherwise, I plan to skip this accessory. Dealer has given me a discount in the form of accessori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
Few more days to go, everyday would be like a week to pass time. Enjoy the delivery. Are you not planning for Rear View Camera? Wanted to ask rest of them using Storme. Is installing a Rear View Camera safe in terms of warranty? Any suggestions on the brand?
So true. Each day seems to crawl. Waiting eagerly for the delivery day.

Yes. I am planning to install a Rear View Camera, especially as I will be graduating from a sedan. One of the challenges I foresee for myself to overcome, in the first few days is reversing the huge beast. My SA has quoted Rs. 5200/ for the rear view camera. Getting the same from outside will save me approx Rs. 1000/ but warrantly will be voided (again as per my SA - no independent corroboration)

I am sure of Rear View Camera & Alloy wheel for the spare steel rim. Also sure of the explorer decals. My dealer has given me a discount in terms of free accessories worth Rs. 4000/ so mats, car perfume and window visors get covered in that. For other accessories, still trying to weigh in the cost and balance my desires against a looming bankruptcy
Old 16th June 2015, 06:38   #4205
BHPian

My vehicle too completed 1 year in May. No issues so far.

But the windows have started getting stuck at times.
Old 16th June 2015, 11:17   #4206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
Wanted to ask rest of them using Storme. Is installing a Rear View Camera safe in terms of warranty? Any suggestions on the brand?
I had got a reverse camera from crosslink wheels installed at the time of my purchase, it was being offered in Tata Motors dealerships as an official accessory and has a Tata logo on it. Here is a link to my previous post regarding the same:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3264033
DragonRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 11:27   #4207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs. What you say makes sense. My own experience with MGA for my Esteem has been very good. Guess, I will go ahead with the dealer recommended seat covers after seeing the quality and fit.

Any views on the DRL? 12,000 for DRL actually seem outrageous, given the fact that I have almost burst my budget to fullfill the dream of getting the beast home. Are there cheaper options without voiding the warranty. Otherwise, I plan to skip this accessory. Dealer has given me a discount in the form of accessori
I don't think a rear view camera will void warranty in anyway. I think it a good idea to fit it. The two times I have banged my Storme into something behind - once into a telephone pole and once into my wife's Zen which she parked haphazardly because of a sudden downpour (!) - both times I had banged before/just as the rear sensor beep went off.
Old 16th June 2015, 11:56   #4208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any views on the DRL? 12,000 for DRL actually seem outrageous, given the fact that I have almost burst my budget to fullfill the dream of getting the beast home.
I am sure of Rear View Camera & Alloy wheel for the spare steel rim. Also sure of the explorer decals. My dealer has given me a discount in terms of free accessories worth Rs. 4000/ so mats, car perfume and window visors get covered in that. For other accessories, still trying to weigh in the cost and balance my desires against a looming bankruptcy
My 2 Cents just take the Vehicle and whatever comes as free accessory .
Assess your needs after few days of driving.
Rear view camera is one of the most useless thing once you get used to look over the shoulders which you should do in any case.
Old 16th June 2015, 12:48   #4209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCynic View Post
Let me add more information.

The hand brake pads getting hot during the drive is unlikely since our region is mostly plains and my father does not have a habit of using handbrake during regular driving.
Thanks for the info. As far as I know the brakes are the same, just that the hand brake is a separate cable/hydraulic system that activates the rear ones only. However with the information you've provided, it could be a differential issue or something to do with the brakes as far as I can make out. Since the gears were slotting correctly and this is not a 4WD car, I don't know of anything else that could have caused that behaviour.

Let us know the outcome of the visit to the ASC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Rear view camera is one of the most useless thing once you get used to look over the shoulders which you should do in any case.
Disagree with that observation. I find the reverse camera very useful when parking in the city, and with the size and limited rear-view available through the rear window, I would think that it would be even more useful than in a sedan.

Last edited by VeluM : 16th June 2015 at 12:50. Reason: Added quote.
Old 16th June 2015, 13:21   #4210
BHPian

Quote:
I would politely disagree with you, Amit. The IRVM reverse camera in my Dicor VX is a must have feature for me. When backing up on tight jungle and mountain roads without a navigator, the camera is a life saver. Shows me the edge of the road and how far I can back up safely. Sensors would be useless in this case and looking over the shoulder also wouldn't be of much help. So the usefulness of reverse camera depends on how good it is and also where you use your truck. The Dicor VX IRVM reverse camera is the best I've come across in any vehicle, including the ones that display on ICE LCD. The IRVM shows me the view I would get if I look over my shoulder through the boot glass and the camera shows me what the boot hides. Awesome!

OT. The couple of times in 6 yrs that I've backed into something due to my own negligence, the spare wheel on boot has taken care of things for me.
param22k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 16:28   #4211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Disagree with that observation. I find the reverse camera very useful when parking in the city, and with the size and limited rear-view available through the rear window, I would think that it would be even more useful than in a sedan.
OK individual choice , I applied for US driving license many years back and one of the standard test trick is to ask to reverse the vehicle. As per DMV rules in many states of US it is mandatory to look back while reversing. Camera or no-camera you must look back else you will fail the driving license test. Check backing up the vehicle in this link from DMV California.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1.../drivingskills

Actually IMHO this is because however good is the camera the distance projection is not correct since the focal length is not normal FL and least distance of ultrasonic sensor is approx 0.5 meter and it covers only conical projection from the point of sensor.
So may be they created this and rule religiously follow.

I had camera earlier, Once at Concord they broke my bumper and gave a new bumper to me FOC admitting the mistake. Here is the T-BHP thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2026653

however they didn'd had the cutting drill bit to fix the camera at service centre and politely asked me to get it fixed at accessories section in Concord Showroom. Since going there was a hassle I never got it fixed in last many years and have been happier since I developed habit of looking back in safari and it is safer and more accurate.

Last edited by amitk26 : 16th June 2015 at 16:32.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 16:48   #4212
BHPian

Quote:

however they didn'd had the cutting drill bit to fix the camera at service centre and politely asked me to get it fixed at accessories section in Concord Showroom. Since going there was a hassle I never got it fixed in last many years and have been happier since I developed habit of looking back in safari and it is safer and more accurate.
From my own experience, I do not agree that having no camera is safer. Of course looking back is important too. But when there is a technology to help safety even by a small fraction, please dont hesitate to use it. I managed to knock down a parked bike while reversing since the biker managed to perfectly park it in such way that it was neither visible in ORVMs nor through the rear window.
There was another instance where a friend of mine nudged a little girl playing hide and seek behind the car. A camera wont help you avoid every adverse situation, but it does help you at times.
Holyghost is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 16:56   #4213
Senior - BHPian

If you negotiate hard, you get the goodies. I got if you may call an explorer kit package last year with my VX. For Rs 45000 I got the decals, floor mats, explorer edition touchscreen music system with 4 speakers, door visors, tyre inflation kit, front judge guard, leather seat covers, rear cargo net and some car perfumes.

IMO the reverse camera doesn't provide dept perception, that's why the sensors are more accurate than a camera, yes a camera with sensors is better. The ultrasonic sensor provided with the Storme is very accurate and helps a lot provided one reverses at slow speeds, to allow her to detect obstacles. The manual also claims that the sensor may not work in heavy rain, but I have faced no such issues. Also adding contraptions such as a rear bull bar may render sensors ineffective.
Old 17th June 2015, 12:41   #4214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The ultrasonic sensor provided with the Storme is very accurate and helps a lot provided one reverses at slow speeds, to allow her to detect obstacles.
The slow speed bit is VERY important, from painful (to my truck and pocket) personal experience.

I personally agree with Parm about the oout of the box use for his camera (overhang etc.)

But in urban situations, I think the ORVM motorized tilt function (to judge kerbs), looking in all three rear view mirrors, backing SLOW, yes looking back as well, and keeping your ear on the sensor beeps all provide for pretty good judgment.

What is also important is to not be in your own thoughts, be alert, and look around the vehicle and observe (and register) its rear environment BEFORE getting into her. Helps!
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 17:32   #4215
BHPian

Hi All,

Just completed 1600 KM long drive to Uttrakhand mountains from Jaipur - delhi, ramnagar, Manila devi, Chaukhutia, Ranikhet, nainital and back. This was my first driving experience on uttrakhand mountains and I never felt any issue.

Odo reads at approx. 32K Kms in 18 months of ownership and I have never regretted owning this vehicle so far.
sunit5 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed