Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2013, 18:22   #421
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

I am a little surprised at the huge amount of Tata-bashing on the thread..

Personally, I am quite happy with my Safari which is 115,000 on the ODO and just completed 5 years. In fact, for a long while, I had thought I will replace my Safari with another Safari.

I have had problems with it, no doubt. Especially in the initial stages. I am also not entirely happy with the service - but other than the initial days when 2.2 timing belt/ECU problems were being sorted out - I have mostly not visited the A.S.S. more than once in six months.

For me, it's a car which is solid - in the city and outside. In Bangalore traffic where somebody or the other keeps nicking the car, I seldom worry too much about it in my car. I have driven very long rides without ever worrying the car will heat up or I should give it some rest, etc. Some friends who have a Captiva and ML and who have sat with me in BLR-Sakleshpur rides have always commented how they were totally surprised with the Safari.

One time, I have taken more than 13 people + 1500 kgs material in the car over 20 Kms of country roads and not had it complain.

For me bottom-line was - I could buy this SUV at a price point which I could not buy any of the others, except Scorpio. I think on a price/value comparison, I am willing to build into my expectations that there would be a few niggles and problems.

Of course, if I had the budget, I would buy a Pajero or Land Rover - but I don't. Hence I don't expect the Safari to become a Pajero and continue to stay in its price range.
anand_saraf is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 18:33   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
This could be true, but if so, is only the part truth. Honestly for a sub 10L (ex-showroom SUV) what are the options for a buyer.

- Storme
- Duster
- Scorpio
- Safari 2.2L
Surprisingly, the Sumo Grande comes in now at almost 10 lacs, so I guess you could probably add the Sumo Grande as well as the top end Bolero to the low end (around 9-11 lacs) mix as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
The W6 scores over Storme mostly in terms of Safety as well - The W8 won 4 stars in ANCAP and the W6 minus 4 airbags and the ESP is probably 3.5 stars as structurally the vehicle is the same otherwise. The Safari on the other hand has never been crash tested by an independent body and has some inherrent safety disadvantages like its height leading to more body roll and roll over risk and its weight and ladder frame chasis which would result in a worse performance in case of a crash. For all of us enthusiasts of SUVs, most of the usage would be over paved highways (big and small, good and bad surface, etc) and safety is crucial in such a scenario.
This is a good point. I know ladder frame chassis vehicles do not do as well as monocoques in high speed crashes. But the tall/roll over risk does seem to have been mitigated in the Storme to a large extent - if all reports and some of the Terrapod photos are anything to go by. I have briefly driven the Dicor, and the Storme a bit more, and there is a big difference in the way the two move and stop and turn and maneuver. The only thing I have not yet checked is how the Storme behaves in those big dips one hits at speed on undulating highways (butterfly in stomach feeling).

Last edited by ebonho : 16th January 2013 at 18:37.
Old 16th January 2013, 18:37   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Hey guys!
safari storme EX UB booked on 14 Jan at Concorde Delhi
Expecting delivery around month end.
Congrats! First on TBHP to book the machine! Expecting a detailed initial impression/report from you.
Old 16th January 2013, 18:43   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Hey guys!
safari storme EX UB booked on 14 Jan at Concorde Delhi
Expecting delivery around month end.
Congratulations Vignesh! Urban Bronze is really pretty - especialy in the sunlight. At night it looks almost black.
Old 16th January 2013, 18:56   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Congratulations Vignesh! Urban Bronze is really pretty - especialy in the sunlight. At night it looks almost black.
Thanks a ton ebonho!
it's a dream buy after contemplating over very many months.,between x u v and storme.
Happy that I waited for the beast.hope TML doesn't disappoint me.i am sure storme won't.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 19:02   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The W6 scores over Storme mostly in terms of Safety as well - The W8 won 4 stars in ANCAP and the W6 minus 4 airbags and the ESP is probably 3.5 stars as structurally the vehicle is the same otherwise. The Safari on the other hand has never been crash tested by an independent body and has some inherrent safety disadvantages like its height leading to more body roll and roll over risk and its weight and ladder frame chasis which would result in a worse performance in case of a crash. For all of us enthusiasts of SUVs, most of the usage would be over paved highways (big and small, good and bad surface, etc) and safety is crucial in such a scenario.
Bobbafett,
I am hardly bothered about NCAP ratings. Crashes (uncontrolled) don't exactly happen the way NCAP works (controlled simulations). Most true blood SUVs are ladder-frames while the pseudo SUVs tend to be monocoques. They were never designed to be driven at insane speeds or be shunted through curves.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 19:08   #427
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Also, I have read (you guys are the experts here and may corroborate) that in the mountains and the rough stuff, a rear wheel driven (push) vehicle actually does better than a front wheel driven (pull) vehicle.
The Safari 4x2 is a bad vehicle to have in tricky conditions. It simply sinks in. driving extensively in the vehicles, the Ladder on frame SUVs/MUVs with RWD fair much worse in getting out of tricky spots than light vehicles.
Their only advantage is high GC. If you want a 2WD vehicle to go places, go for the lightest one in the market. As far as diesels are concerned, the Duster FWD is going to be the most capable. Scorpio, safari, sumo etc., in 2WD will be the first to get bogged down.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 19:13   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The Safari 4x2 is a bad vehicle to have in tricky conditions. It simply sinks in. driving extensively in the vehicles, the Ladder on frame SUVs/MUVs with RWD fair much worse in getting out of tricky spots than light vehicles.
Their only advantage is high GC. If you want a 2WD vehicle to go places, go for the lightest one in the market. As far as diesels are concerned, the Duster FWD is going to be the most capable. Scorpio, safari, sumo etc., in 2WD will be the first to get bogged down.
Good info bro (sobering).

I'm having visions of wheelspin in the mud soup of Marhi. Can't think of anything worse I would attempt with my family honestly.

So in your experience, an Innova would fare better than a Safari 4x2 (equally loaded) in those conditions?

Last edited by ebonho : 16th January 2013 at 19:15.
Old 16th January 2013, 19:31   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Aria also had a 4 star safety rating, IIRC. Storme, which is based on the same platform shouldn't far off, IMO. I could be wrong though!

Last edited by safari_lover : 16th January 2013 at 19:38.
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 20:32   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Forget TBHP, I haven't heard from any of my friends/relatives/colleagues regarding someone booking the Storme. That might spell doom for the product, even at such a early stage of life.
Now my word may not be anywhere close to facts, but Storme has been well received atleast in Punjab (where a likeness for the Safari always existed). It is quite easy to spot a Storme here...in the cities, as also on the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
doesnt borse me in heavy traffic, i very comfortable in normal as well as sports mood, than buying a car just for its resale value or what brand it is.
Curious which car is that, that doesn't bore you either in traffic situation or when you are in a sports mood?

I for one, as I did in my most recent purchase, buy a car which at the point suits my needs best. And in the passing if it happens to belong to a brand which holds its value well & provides the best customer service (in the most recent case, a Toyota), I don't see the harm. So I really didn't understand what you wanted to convey?

And sir, for Gods sake, I am not pro Toyota and anti Tata. If the Storme appears to me a very good vehicle, I say so and similarly when Toyota provides me with enough reason to praise them I will be as vocal about it.

Last edited by rrsteer : 16th January 2013 at 20:46.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 20:36   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Safari Storme Test Drive impressions.

Went to Prerana with 3 of my friends to check out Storme. Run within the City, not many high speed dashes either.

FYI - I am 6'2".

Superlike:

The middle row! The BEST middle row I have ever sat on (among XUV, Duster & hatches / sedans)

Tall driving position
Interior quality
Space inside
Ride quality
Decent handling + low body roll (we didn't push it hard)
Good brakes - very confident
Better gear shift than Dicor

Dislikes:

Refined looks
Steering position - had tough time getting inside (confirmed again after Xtreme Drive event)
Hard front seats (compared to Safari Dicor
Low on equipments
Music crackled at slightly higher volumes
No turbo kick (Dicor was fun from that perspective)
Gear shift is a bit notchy still

Suggestions to TATA:

More power - The car can easily have more of it.
At least Auto AC on top variant
Give us the turbo kick too please - its whole lot more fun!

Some of the comments from my co-drivers

Quote:
Capable, Spacious, Huge Nimble SUV.
Quote:
biggest improvements in engine & interior refinement.Lots to be done on pricing& differentiate with legacy Safari
Quote:
though refined in a lot of ways,feel its a bit late to the market.Not a fwd looking car
Note:: Talked to Karthik from Prerana for a long time on the improvements / problems with Storme. And also got an opportunity to interact with Ranganath, AGM Sales - Passenger vehicles, Prerana. Had a nice time chatting, discussing a lot of points on Storme.

Comparo with Storme, Duster & XUV:

Storme LX is my pick of the lot. Loved the package - Size, Space, Comfort, Interiors, Power. I believe this car brings in a beautiful balance among all parameters. Hope it turns out to be reliable too.

Why should I pick Duster? If I need a small SUV with great FE! (loses on build quality, interiors, size, power! Features NOT drastically different)

Why should I pick XUV? FEATURES, BEST space in middle row, peppy engine. (loses on bouncy ride quality, spongy brakes)

Why should I pick Safari Dicor? LOOKS! (Loses on almost every aspect to Storme)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th January 2013 at 20:44.
swiftnfurious is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 21:47   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
....Climbed on to the driver seat once & had a fight (with myself) to get my left leg to the other side of the steering. Not sure the seat was set high or my height problem (6'2"). Will update on this after the TD.

...Some of the interiors started wearing out at less than 4K kms. One was the gear knob & second near the door handle (front passenger)...
Update on these two points.

1. Problem with steering is correct. I could NOT sit on the driver seat unless I push the seats all the way back. But then, while driving, I dont have to push it all the way back. Design issue I guess!

2. The front passenger door does NOT have any issue. The new cars had some plastic strips on it and the edges had peeled off. From a distance, it looked like the handles were worn out. Correcting myself on it.

But the gear leather definitely was worn out.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 00:15   #433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good info bro (sobering).

I'm having visions of wheelspin in the mud soup of Marhi. Can't think of anything worse I would attempt with my family honestly.

So in your experience, an Innova would fare better than a Safari 4x2 (equally loaded) in those conditions?
Innova is not very light. Plus it has smaller tires. Even innova would sink in quickly. Have seen enough innovas sinking
Old 17th January 2013, 00:43   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Innova is not very light. Plus it has smaller tires. Even innova would sink in quickly. Have seen enough innovas sinking
Yes agree the 4X2 with a 2 tonne weight will sink in sand. To just have a glimpse of what exactly can the Safari or Storme do which 95% of public will be doing at the max, as far as offroading is considered is as below

A nice ad too.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 17th January 2013 at 00:48.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 00:51   #435
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Scorpio - Transmission fail in Leh(our members) = Defect? Yes/No
While I do agree that the Storme could turn out to be a reliable vehicle, the Scorpio AT tranny fail at Leh was NOT a defect. It was a one off case.

Despite all the debates we might have, the Scorpio has proven to be more reliable than the Safari, till date.

I m hoping the Storme breaches this record, honestly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks