Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2021, 09:36   #4726
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Storme reached a milestone today:
And before anyone asks - no, no plans to change. The Storme is running beautifully. Will see how long I can stretch before another clutch replacement.
Any reason why you changed the timing belt at the 4.5 year mark?

And wish you many more KM's of happy motoring with this Storme.
Old 25th July 2021, 09:48   #4727
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of points I had missed in my prev post:

Have changed battery twice so far. Stock battery lasted 4 yrs, The replacement was an Exide which lasted exactly 3 yrs. And then back to Amaron 105D31L.

Looking at the Storme now reminds me of the thread that GTO had started - hold or sell your 5 year old car. The answer is hold. For multiple reasons: The Storme is running just fine. I have spent on some repairs, and dont expect any thing big for the foresee-able future. And the big question - what's the alternative ? To add - that 2.2 litre engine is a gem. Further add: It's a BS4. So dont have to think of stuff like DPF / AdBlue etc.

And all this is not even considering the cost of replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Any reason why you changed the timing belt at the 4.5 year mark?
Thanks, HappyWheels.

The recommended interval for changing the belt is 5 yrs or 1L, which ever is earlier. At that point, the Storme was at TASS for some work, and upon checking, the belt had frayed. The floor supervisor at that time was someone I knew well, and trusted. Based on his advice, went ahead with the change.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:24   #4728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the big question - what's the alternative ?
When I was looking at buying a SUV in 2018 (and eventually bought my XUV5OO), a friend and mentor of mine, who owns the Storme (and works in the Mahindra group) discouraged me and for valid reasons. I still went ahead and bought the XUV5OO, knowing fully well that the middle bench is definitely inferior than the Storme - even the Hexa, in my opinion, does not have "it" like the Storme did.

When I met this friend couple of weeks back, learnt that he's moved to a Creta AT from the Storme (lack of upgrade options, wife has to drive, Bombay traffic), but I can see the regret in his words even though he's appreciating what the Creta offers.

There is no replacement for the Storme. There may never be - don't let him go
ph03n!x is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:44   #4729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Thanks, @ph03n!x. I have learnt my lesson the hard way after letting go of the Sumo. A big mistake that I wont repeat. Like I was telling a few folks, there have been times, as I made my way through traffic, being grateful for the comfort it offers. It may be a big vehicle and traffic density is not getting any less. Space and care required to drive in city are a small give compared to what I get from this beauty. On another note, apart from the automotive aspects, I am focusing on building a future activity, which is taking a fair bit of resources. So definitely, keeping him.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 21:07   #4730
Distinguished - BHPian

Had to do an unplanned trip to native this week. Back after 5 days, 1384 km of high-ways and rural roads. As before, a comfortable drive to & fro, good FE on the highways, and the Storme loaded on the return.

One such road: 7.45 pm, using low beam & projector fog lamps. This part of the road was actually ok . For about half of this stretch, I used to drive with one set of wheels on the mud shoulder (left or right, depending on the conditions).

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_4466.jpg

Odo now at 102182 km.

Last edited by condor : 12th August 2021 at 21:20.
condor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 00:27   #4731
BHPian

So the truck was due for its 5th year service since May month but I was just not able to take time out for it; for far important priorities.

Anyway, so it went in for the service finally, last month and it was a biggie! I was kind of prepared as the timing kit was due for replacement, but some incremental ones like the front disks and pads got added too. With some random thud/squeak sounds from the front end too, I was worried if the suspension needed attention as well; thankfully it was given an 'all-good' by the SA/mech, post service.

Couple of concerns cropped up, post the service though:

1. Took it for a wheel-balancing/alignment check (was long overdue again) and sure enough, the signs were apparent. The inner treads on the front tyres were mostly gone. But the concerning part is, the guy gave me this sheet (attached pic), which apparently has the max/min values for the various parameters (castor, toe, camber), against what my car's final numbers were - some are way off actually! He was off the view that there's some suspension issue, which is causing this. In fact, these no.s are post the alignment correction; the initial ones were even worse off! Thing is, I didn't notice any tell tale sings during normal drives, both pre/post this balancing & alignment session.

2. AC has again started acting up - this time though it just stops throwing cold air into the cabin, if the car's in B2B traffic conditions, with the ideal engine operating temp. Starts working fine when I hit a clean piece of road, with decent speeds.

While I maybe able to go back to TASS for the AC issue, not so sure off the wheel alignment issue, TASS folks do a worse job than even the independent tyre shops, have experienced it first hand as well! Would it make sense to compare these sheet's data with what TASS have; maybe then try to diagnose the actual problem?

Requesting gurus to help with some pointers for these issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20210815_235228__01.jpg  

Last edited by avinash_m : 16th August 2021 at 00:30.
Old 16th August 2021, 14:04   #4732
Senior - BHPian

Beastie is into her 9th year now and she is rocking. Purrs like a baby and just puts a smile on my face every time I start her up and drive her.

Over the years though I have had my share of heartburn, and off late every time she visits the workshop I'm getting a big bill.

Once the Warranty and the AMC got over in addition to the regular annual service I've spent out of pocket on:

1) Gearbox bearings (25k+)

2) Rear latch assembly (7k+)

3) Rear shock absorber (6k+)

4) Engine and Gearbox Foundation mountings

5) Front suspension bushes

6) Battery (conked off in 2 years and replaced free of cost in Warranty by Amaron thanks to some black magic by my dealer ... the warranty was only for 18 months, and after that I would get some pro rated discount on a new battery)

And how the front wipers got stuck suddenly while I was refuelling. Right diagonally in the center of my windshield.

The wiper blades went up very slowly (its happened many times before, but frees up afterwards) and finally got stuck in the middle.

The whole linkage and motor assembly would cost me something around 24k to replace, so I threw my customary fit, and they got the assembly serviced at the vendor.

Bushes were changed. Brushes were cleaned (NOT replaced as I had been told when the initial estimate of 7-7.5k was given to me).

(1) The truck was returned with the wipers working well. The brushes were not replaced. And they only reduced 1k off the initial quote. Is that okay for the job?

Also, the wiper blades were replaced, and I noticed that the left side one looked much shorter than my original ones.

(2) When I asked them why, I was told that the original Storme front wipers had been discontinued and these are the new ones that come in their place. Is that correct guys?

Looking forward to replies from the expert old timers on the two queries in bold please.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 16th August 2021 at 14:06.
Old 16th August 2021, 14:31   #4733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
1) Gearbox bearings (25k+)

4) Engine and Gearbox Foundation mountings

Bushes were changed. Brushes were cleaned (NOT replaced as I had been told when the initial estimate of 7-7.5k was given to me).

Also, the wiper blades were replaced, and I noticed that the left side one looked much shorter than my original ones.
Doc, what were the symptoms to get 1 & 4 done ?

Which bushes / brushes, pls ?

Regarding Wiper blades - not an issue, isnt it ? I replace these myself (purchased outside). I dont wait till I go to the TASS for work. However, I dont understand their statement that wiper blade size has been changed.
Old 16th August 2021, 14:48   #4734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, what were the symptoms to get 1 & 4 done ?

Which bushes / brushes, pls ?

Regarding Wiper blades - not an issue, isnt it ? I replace these myself (purchased outside). I dont wait till I go to the TASS for work. However, I dont understand their statement that wiper blade size has been changed.
The gearbox bearings (main shaft as well as some other one) were shot. What started as a annoying little ticking sound on initial acceleration early on in its life, which I had pointed out to the TASS guys a couple of times and they had not diagnosed it during the Warranty and AMC (saying it was either lugging in a higher gear or fuel, or dashboard plastics harmonics, etc etc) became louder until even they could not BS their way through.

The foundation bushes was the shudder that I so loved, but which they said was bad for the engine and gearbox mountings. After they replaced those, the shudder nearly disappeared. Almost (not fully) like a car.

But within a few thousand kilometers post that work it is again apparent, to a degree, though not near as much as before.

Any help on the wiper assembly work and charges buddy?

Let me explain about the length. The old (original) ones, the left one was longer, and at a lower level, and overlapped by the right one, that was at a slightly higher level. Correct?

Now the left one is pretty short (I think visually almost as short as the rear glass wiper) and both wipers are in line with one another at the same height, and there is a 1-2 inch gap between the end of the left wiper and the beginning of the right wiper. No overlap stagger.

Cheers, Doc
Old 16th August 2021, 14:56   #4735
BHPian

The truck is 8 years and approaching the big 1 milestone. The family has been begging for a change since they are finding ingress and exit uncomfortable. Plus with my aged mom and sister traveling with us, it is becoming very difficult for them. I started my lookout for a replacement and I have to say, nothing has caught my fancy yet. It's been a year plus now negating the korean twins, the Psuedo Safari and Harrier, and the likes.

Up to now, the truck has been worked upon by a combination of TASS - I plan to start giving to a local chap in South Bangalore who has been working on my co-brother's truck and has done a good job for the last few years

The big spends have been

1. Clutch assembly replacement - 1 at 35k and the other at 85k. To date the clutch has been slightly hard, but totally manageable.

2. Shock Absorbers - changed twice at 37k and 82k

3. Timing belt - at 65k

4. Brake Pads, brushes etc - twice in the last 95k

5. The usual suspects such as wiper blades changed once every 2 years. Me and wiper blades have a bad equation

6. The only change I haven't managed to get is the wiper fluid tank which cracked and has been sealed with mseal.

7. Did put DRL's within the lighting housing, but that was 5+ years ago and the LEDs have started flickering. So quietly stopped them. They do work as indicators now and does a good job

8. Headlights changed to LED for the low beam but don't provide much throw. Need to change it back to maybe Nighthawk

9. A couple of dents and beyond that, the truck has been driving like butter. I get about 10kmpl within the city, but i also don't drive with a heavy foot. A few squeaks have started coming through from the seats

Lastly, to whet the appetite of my family, i am thinking of getting the Kushaq 1.5DSG trim. This should help within city driving, although my better half keeps saying that i drive the truck like the maruti 800
subraiyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 15:31   #4736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And before anyone asks - no, no plans to change. The Storme is running beautifully. Will see how long I can stretch before another clutch replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
I started my lookout for a replacement and I have to say, nothing has caught my fancy yet. It's been a year plus now negating the korean twins, the Psuedo Safari and Harrier, and the likes.
This is the common refrain of many (most) Safari and Storme owners. Especially Storme owners, because Safari owners might have moved on to the Storme, but after the Storme there was literally nothing to move on to.

As I mentioned in my post above, I am a long term car user. I still have my 2005 Baleno.

But the Storme has had a LOT more expensive issues inside 8 years than my Baleno in over 16. That is just the way it is. Suzuki versus Tata. There is really no comparison in terms of build quality and parts and vendor quality between the two.

Both I love. One still rips with silky butter smooth punchy motor and gearbox like when she was new.

The other is my truck and I cannot see another truck to replace her with.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 16:26   #4737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The foundation bushes was the shudder that I so loved, but which they said was bad for the engine and gearbox mountings. After they replaced those, the shudder nearly disappeared. Almost (not fully) like a car.

Let me explain about the length. The old (original) ones, the left one was longer, and at a lower level, and overlapped by the right one, that was at a slightly higher level. Correct?

Now the left one is pretty short
Thanks for the first point above: I see a shudder, sometimes when starting -esp in reverse. I kept thinking it was my clutch - have run 75k now since the warranty replacement. Otherwise, running is smooth, and no drop in FE or performance.

As far as I can remember, the right wiper was longer than the left, and no over-lap. I would say not to split hairs on that. 22"/20" will be fine, or even an inch lesser for both.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 17:44   #4738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
With some random thud/squeak sounds from the front end too, I was worried if the suspension needed attention as well; thankfully it was given an 'all-good' by the SA/mech, post service.

Couple of concerns cropped up, post the service though:

1. Took it for a wheel-balancing/alignment check (was long overdue again) and sure enough, the signs were apparent. The inner treads on the front tyres were mostly gone. But the concerning part is, the guy gave me this sheet (attached pic), which apparently has the max/min values for the various parameters (castor, toe, camber), against what my car's final numbers were - some are way off actually! He was off the view that there's some suspension issue, which is causing this. In fact, these no.s are post the alignment correction; the initial ones were even worse off! Thing is, I didn't notice any tell tale sings during normal drives, both pre/post this balancing & alignment session.
I suggest you to take the vehicle to an alignment shop that does not use digital machines, ask them to inspect first before doing any changes. If they are of the opinion that suspension needs to be repaired, that is the way to go. considering the caster and camber values being out of spec, it could very well be due for a suspension overhaul.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 15:55   #4739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
The truck is 8 years and approaching the big 1 milestone. The family has been begging for a change since they are finding ingress and exit uncomfortable.
Can understand the situation for the elders. But coming to replacements, if I were in the market, I would have checked out the S-Cross, though they dont have a diesel at this time. Kushaq is good for 4, I hear.
Old 17th August 2021, 16:03   #4740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can understand the situation for the elders. But coming to replacements, if I were in the market, I would have checked out the S-Cross, though they dont have a diesel at this time. Kushaq is good for 4, I hear.
What are your views on the Kia's Condor?

Cheers, Doc

Most Viewed