Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 21:08   #4756
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

So this weekend got the headlight upgrade done for the Storme. Like @viXit had suggested tried to speak to a couple of shops for the Osram Nightbreaker Laser lamps but none of had them in stock and even my regular accessory shop mentioned he will have to pre-order them. He then went ahead to suggest that we can try replacing LED bulbs instead as nowadays that's what is in vogue.
So I gave it a try and got the Blaupunkt LED 9X ProH7 lamps installed for both the projectors. Kept the high beam lamps as is for the moment since wanted to give this a try first before replacing them as well.
It's a mixed output for me, the brightness definitely is much better than the existing projectors, though there is almost zero difference in the throw. Add to that there is substantial cut-off in the beam on the left hand side near the car, though that gets taken care of by the fogs to an extent. For the area that it covers, the visibility definitely is much better though not a huge difference. The last sore point is that because of these headlamps they had to make a cut in the rubber cover behind the headlamp assembly for the wire to come out.
Will be munching in some kms before taking a final call on whether to replace even the high beam lamps and the fog lamps with LED's.

Some pictures to see the difference. PS: in the before pictures, the driver side projector is not working.
Pic 1: Original Projector Low Beam Only
Pic 2: Original Low + High Beam
Pic 3: New LED Low Beam only
Pic 4: New LED + Original High Beam
Pic 5 & 6: The Blaupunkt LED lamps installed
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20211017_185322.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20211017_185402.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20211017_221224.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20211017_221329.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20211019_202438.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20211019_202508.jpg  

zadoom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 01:43   #4757
BHPian

Question to Storme users in general and especially the ones who have their steed running on AT tyres. I remember the normal tyre pressure recommendation to be 32 Psi (unladen) and 34 Psi (laden). However does this need to change especially for AT tyres on the car.

The reason for this doubt is I always used to have all 4 tyres filled to 33 Psi, however with the AT tyres (Yoko Geolanders) visually I felt they were under inflated. So when I went to top up the nitrogen and correct the pressures, almost all tyres were inflated to 35 Psi (except 1 which was at 36 psi). Since I recently picked the car pre-worshipped this was the first time I got the tyre pressure checked. I have since got all 4 tyres back on 33 Psi but thought will check with what other users follow.

Thank you for your inputs.

Cheers,
Old 25th October 2021, 08:14   #4758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoom View Post
The reason for this doubt is I always used to have all 4 tyres filled to 33 Psi, however with the AT tyres (Yoko Geolanders) visually I felt they were under inflated.,
32/34 is the recommended pressure. I use 33 psi on my Yoko Geolandar AT G015 tyres.

The problem can be with the calibration of the pump at the bunk. Check another bunk / get a good pressure gauge (and check the gauge too).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th October 2021 at 09:55. Reason: As requested
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 09:25   #4759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoom View Post
Question to Storme users in general and especially the ones who have their steed running on AT tyres. I remember the normal tyre pressure recommendation to be 32 Psi (unladen) and 34 Psi (laden). However does this need to change especially for AT tyres on the car.
It depends on the tyre. But as a general rule stick to OE recommendation (Cold air pressure) Over inflating even by a few PSI can lead to excess wear on the center of the tread.

In certain AT tyres even maintaining OE recommend PSI will lead to increased wear at the center, in such cases we need to drop the pressure by 2 PSI.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 18:21   #4760
BHPian

Thanks @condor @Kosfactor. I think I realise the 2 things which I had ignored like you both pointed out. Gauge error and the other which most likely was the culprit in me getting those high pressures, I topped up the Nitrogen after driving some 50 - 60 Kms on the expressway so obviously it was not cold tyre pressure.

thanks for your inputs.
Old 18th November 2021, 14:29   #4761
BHPian

So I have a niggle - the lid of the dashboard recess has broken and it stays open.
Wanted to get it closed. It seems the clip or even the lid is not available and I need to replace the entire dashboard.

I will probably it fixed in an accessory shop / hardware store. Fit and finish - really.
Old 18th November 2021, 14:51   #4762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
So I have a niggle - the lid of the dashboard recess has broken and it stays open..
You have not mentioned which trim level your Storme is.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-top_...embly-6617884/

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-glov...y_rhd-6617859/
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:13   #4763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
So I have a niggle - the lid of the dashboard recess has broken and it stays open.
Wanted to get it closed. It seems the clip or even the lid is not available and I need to replace the entire dashboard.

I will probably it fixed in an accessory shop / hardware store. Fit and finish - really.
The clip only indeed is not available, at least at TASS. since you mentioned lid, I am assuming yours is a VX. I had the same issue and the TASS had ordered the entire storage unit (not the dashboard). It was delivered last week and my Storme is currently at the TASS getting that replaced along with some of the other things for which as well a lot of parts had been ordered.

If haven't yet picked up the car but let me know in case you need the part number for reference, shall be able to provide in a couple of days once I pick up the car.

Cheers,
Old 1st December 2021, 18:42   #4764

Hello All,

Happy to report my Storme has now completed 100000 kms and still going strong. During a long trip with the family last week I was quite impressed with the power and handling on the highways. I had been driving the other cars Ciaz and Celerio in the city mostly and really loved the torque blast from the Storme. It didnt feel too old in the tooth at all though 8 years have passed. The ride quality was pretty good till we hit some bad roads, the suspension which had started deteriorating has now turned pretty bad especially with a full complement of passengers and a combination of bad roads.

Previously it used to glide over small potholes and bad roads but now I need to drive it like a low GC sedan, it was very annoying. Earlier I had replaced the bushes etc. which had helped a little but this is getting quite bad now so I am thinking of a suspension upgrade.

I would like to hear if anyone has done this and what to watch out for? Is there any benefit in upgrading both front and rear together? the problem is only with the rear at the moment. Are there any after market upgrades that are recommended instead of the stock one? etc. Also, one of the headlights had faded is it possible to only replace the outer case? Please advice.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st December 2021 at 18:57. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 1st December 2021, 19:18   #4765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madred15 View Post
Is there any benefit in upgrading both front and rear together? the problem is only with the rear at the moment..
Congrats on completing the 1L mark ! My Storme has crossed that earlier this year, but no such issues - more likely because of my driving style.

You can go either way. Replacing just the rear can help control the service bill. You could get the part from Boodmo, and have it changed outside.

I dont think it is possible to replace only the lens part of the headlamps. Sealed units. One option is to check with detailers if they can do it for you. However, do compare the cost of new HL vs charges by detailers.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st December 2021 at 20:03. Reason: Capitalising the starting sentence / word. Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2022, 19:59   #4766
Distinguished - BHPian

A long drive to our native was on the cards, and it happened.

As luck would have it, folks at home asked if I need to get the Storme serviced before that. A quick check of the condition of the oil showed that an oil change was required. My running being mixed mode, I was expecting the oil to be ok - but was a little thick.

So rushed to Prerana motors Kudlu gate office on 27th morning, and waited while the minor service was done. My service advisor obliged me for the walk-in, and I was out in about 2.5 hours. Cost: 6950 (Oil, Diesel filter, Fuel filter and some sundry items). Coolant and PS fluid topped up.

We had to leave on 29th morning, and a 5 am start helped us get out of city by 6.15 am. Updates about the Tumkur road elevated section meant I had to avoid that. I skipped NICE road till the Magadi road intersection - a good call since there is white-topping just before that - else we would have lost time.

One bio break & one refuel break - both before Tumkur, and it was a non-stop drive for the next 4 hours. Lunch, and another 2 hours before destination. Return was via Hubli-Hospet-Chitradurga. A 5 day, 1310km run and the odo is now at 107902.

FE has been around 13-14km. Chitradurga by-pass is fantastic.

However, looks like the PS unit may need servicing now. Last time it had become hard at bout 48k. Hope not a big one this time. Fingers crossed.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_4922.jpg

Last edited by condor : 2nd January 2022 at 20:18.
Old 2nd January 2022, 20:20   #4767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
FE has been around 13-14km. Chitradurga by-pass is fantastic.
I did bangalore - Shirdi - bangalore via Hubli, Belgavi and Pune 3rd week of December last year

Tanked up diesel near my residence before starting and next fuel I filled up after nippani just before Karnataka- Maharashtra border. FE I got was 13 kmpl

On the way back I had to tank up at Shirdi before proceeding to bangalore and my storme this time gave me FE of 15.5 kmpl

Really commendable for 7.5 years storme now and almost 90K on ODO

Throughout the journey AC was full time ON ECO mode
Old 2nd January 2022, 21:01   #4768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Really commendable for 7.5 years storme now and almost 90K on ODO
Cool ! Do you have the refreshed Storme (400 ) ?
Old 2nd January 2022, 21:51   #4769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Cool ! Do you have the refreshed Storme (400 ) ?
Mine is May 2014 safari storme, Not storme 400
lazybrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 12:51   #4770
BHPian

Fellow Storme owners,

I want to replace the stock fog lamp units with something a little more useful.

I came across this video where he uses HELLA projector units with halogen bulbs. I plan to do the same. I remember BHPian Condor mentioning somewhere that he had a similar setup, but couldn't find the post. Please do share any feedback if anyone has a similar setup.

The projectors he used in the video seem to be these, Amazon LINK

they are very cheap in comparison to the other IPH, BlazeIndia etc. options and I trust HELLA so I wanted to go ahead with these. WHat do you guys think?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks