Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:48   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Great review buttt....

I think Team-Bhp must break the mould of always having their official reviews done in the these controlled environments. The reviews were more interactive and stood out as " WHAM!!!....... this is how its done all you auto mags!!" when this amazing team used to take the vehicle out into their own domain and make merry with the car exactly how they would want to in real life. for eg: The 4x4 section in this review is designed for the storme, not designed by team-bhp!.

Atleast have an additional section added into this official review once the vehicle is available in the market. Just as an example - Khan Sultan's THAR review was mind-blowing, TSK's very own Cruze review had a lady's perspective thrown in. All these small widgets are getting lost when the sponsor of the event is the manufacturer. Everyone knows that Official review thread is the 1st option to be read, but the detail and experience is lost because value of team-bhp will be hidden in the ownership section.

Hmm, seems like I've woken up on the wrong side of the bed today but hope you guys know i mean well
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:05   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I think Team-Bhp must break the mould of always having their official reviews done in the these controlled environments.

.. for eg: The 4x4 section in this review is designed for the storme, not designed by team-bhp!.
I think only the 4x4 version was on the closed circuit, but the regular 4x2 was reviewed out in the open, without any one from TML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
TSK's very own Cruze review had a lady's perspective thrown in.
Looks like you missed the point that Mrs. TSK mentioned about the Storme. Check this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2978328
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:53   #48
BHPian

Tanveer, A very nice and detailed review. I need a clarification on this though - When you say "panel gaps still being a problem", you mean "Uneven panel gaps" OR panel gaps are too large ?

Nevertheless, a superb review. Appreciate your efforts and its sure a weekend treat to most of us !

Prem.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:10   #49
BHPian

Amazing review as usual with no exceptions . Glad I have booked a 4x4 strome , now to think of how to cover the transfer case team bhp makes my weekend . Tanveer will reach out to you and other safari owners as this will be my first SUV and Safari , but will still retain my black panther a 2003 Honda City.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2012 at 15:11. Reason: OHC = Honda City. We do NOT permit the use of acronyms when referring to cars
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:53   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
Driver Ergonomics was never Tata's strongest point (if my Indica is anything to go by) ..
Actually, the Indica is not what one should go by. Looking back to the seats in our old Indica, I am actually horrified. Compared to that, the Safari itself has seats that are better by miles. Even my 2005 Sumo has very good seats, esp front row.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

Great review tsk1979 and kudos to TeamBhp for continuing filling our hunger for details.

While the flaws as mentioned by the reviewer are apparent, I can never forget the ride in the (old) Safari I had a few years back while going to Panna National Park from Jhansi. While most of my other partners had broken lumbars in their Scorpios at the end of the journey, I was riding in Maharajah comfort in the front seat of a brand new Safari LX. Its comfort levels blew me off and were unparalleled and I would go as far as to say even better than my current Fortuner. I hope that same ride is carried forward or even bettered in the current Storme.

I would have liked a more detailed review of the ICE as that's a major point with many owners though its certainly a huge disappointment to see no provision for a double din system system in today's day and age.

Its understated outer looks somehow don't gel very well for me and look disproportionate from some angles. I would go as far as to say that the older Safari somehow looks better. Yes, Safari is the 'Bullet' of India and everybody want's to own one at some point of time in their lives. I test drove the older one twice and almost put my money on it but thankfully eventually opted for a better engineered product. Though I still want it and maybe someday soon. Rated the thread a very well deserved 5 star.

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd December 2012 at 10:02.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:02   #52
BHPian

Mind-Blowing review Tanveer! 5-Stars is the bare minimum I can give for this thread. Tata could've used this oppurtunity to iron out all the niggles of ol' Safari. Well, nonetheless, good to see that safari is now a whole lot better to own and mainly overtakes ol' Safari in terms of everything but ICE is a big letdown here. The HU looks like an aftermarket fitment and the one they remembered after making the whole vehicle. The interior could've been influenced by Range Rovers. is there an Automatic for Safari? Is there any probability of coming of Jaguar's rotary-style gearknob in Safari anytime? If so, then my cheque-book is ready to be used!

Again, your attention to the most minute details is appreciated and deeply respected. This review would help a lot of BHPians like me!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:48   #53
BHPian

Tanveer, forgot to ask the important question in my post. Not sure if you have already answered this anywhere, but, "would you replace your existing safari with the new storme now"??
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Great review Tanveer,

One question for you. Will it replace the White Elephant in your garage ?

Your review also makes it a part of the consideration set for the SX 4 replacement. I will take the decision after I have driven the Storme, the Duster and the Ecosport (once it is launched)
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review, and completely justifies the time spent. Kudos for the effort for us forum members. Your perspective is especially valued wrt the Storme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If Tata sorts out their long term reliability issues, then there is no reason for anybody to spend close to 30L.
This is a very telling comment. Six months from the first Team-BHP ownership should give us a really good idea of what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I would recommend this only for the die hard fans like the Royal Enfields. If you are buying it, set your expectation right.
True. However RE fans are not really shelling out 10+ Lakhs. While parts falling off and oil leaking is acceptable, and possibly even wanted based on comments from some on the RE threads, at 1-2 Lakhs is generally unacceptable at +10.
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:13   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

These are my suggestions for Safari Storme Mark II

1) Double DIN System with Inbuilt Sat NAV
2) Grey Dual Tone Dash & Seats
3) Rear Camera integrated into Double DIN System
4) Reclining Middle Row
5) Front facing Third row.
6) Reduce the weight. If Toyota can bring in the Fortuner with bigger engine, All wheel drive system including center differential and much bigger tires for under two tons. There is no justification for the Safari to weigh over 2 tons.

Given Tata's financial and engineering clout, this is is not too much to ask for. If they can incorporate these changes, I feel Storme will appeal to a larger audience including your's truly.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:19   #57
BHPian

Finally, the most awaited review of this year. Thanks a lot tsk for covering the +ves and -ves in great detail.

Have nothing much to ask for. Just waiting for a drive to experience it further.

TATA were always good in equipment levels right? why going the other way now? A Simple example - Removing a reverse cam from an exsiting model. while other manufacturers are giving more and more for a new launch or facelift.

Much more is said by others and am tired of saying for the last year or so about what TATA could do or could have done. Lets wait and watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If the 1st and 2nd seat rows were a lesson in indulgence and comfort, the last row is something of a torture chamber. Getting in requires a lot of effort due to the high floor and diminutive foot rest (which incidentally doesn't fold). Shockingly, Tata hasn't provided any rubber scuff plates here. You can expect the paint to get scratched pretty soon:
Pretty Bad. Wont it look like a sore thumb when looked from behind? Thank God, they have at least given the mini step a rubber/plastic cladding unlike the test mules spotted with an exposed sharp plate that would hurt in case a biker hits that spot accidentally.
And buyers has to figure out some thing to protect paint surface in that area by themselves.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:28   #58
BHPian

Brilliant review Tanveer Sir.
I had been waiting for this since ages.
One aspect which I would like to know about is whether there is scope for fitting in a touch screen-double din HU(The workshorse should have some jazz too), or would it be too tedious a task?.
Thanks for the most to-the-point review
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:56   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
These are my suggestions for Safari Storme Mark II

1) Double DIN System with Inbuilt Sat NAV
2) Grey Dual Tone Dash & Seats
3) Rear Camera integrated into Double DIN System
4) Reclining Middle Row
5) Front facing Third row.
6) Reduce the weight.
You said it right. In addition, I think they will introduce ACC, Steering controls, good MID, Cruise controls as well. All this ofcourse at an additional cost to the Top variant. I speculate this to come in the next year (read second half). Then, it will be a real competition to the now market leader XUV.
Old 2nd December 2012, 12:13   #60
BHPian

Excellent review Tanveer, I must say you have covered every minute detail of what I would've actually missed out. I have mixed feelings after the release of Storme, One way Tata has continued with the legacy of the Safari by keeping the same looks just like in the case of the range rovers but on the other hand Tata has also missed a great opportunity to change the Safari into something much more better than what it is currently.

Other vehicles like the XUV and the Duster have changed people's expectations and mindsets from what a typical SUV should look like to what all features it can have and I expected Tata to grab the opportunity since they had ample of time to do this.

Saying this I am happy that there are some much needed improvements like the turning radius,the body roll and others but still these changes don't make me go out and buy the Storme as am still happy with my Safari Dicor and its butch character.
richie4u is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed