Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2013, 19:50   #586
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

ALL,

My Pearl white storme VX 4x4 arrived. Already covered 800 KM. Will do the ownership review by next week. So far I am very happy with the Vehicle. No single issue. 70 % Higway and 20 % Village Road and 10 % City Drive
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-cam00033.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-cam00034.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-cam00035.jpg  

g_prajeesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 19:52   #587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
ALL,

My Pearl white storme VX 4x4 arrived. Already covered 800 KM. Will do the ownership review by next week. So far I am very happy with the Vehicle. No single issue. 70 % Higway and 20 % Village Road and 10 % City Drive
Congrats man! Hope the tribe grows wider & taller!
Old 14th February 2013, 20:25   #588
BHPian

Quote:
ALL,

Prajeesh, Just amazing man ! Looks awesome. Someone mentioned in the other [Fortuner71] thread all colours in STORME look gorgeous and I agree 100% to it

Fantastic on the drive of 800 KM so soon, Create your thread, enjoy the ride and keep your thread posted !

Prem.
Old 14th February 2013, 20:51   #589
BHPian

Quote:
ALL,

Congrats and wish you miles of happiness and safe drive
Old 14th February 2013, 21:10   #590
BHPian

Quote:
ALL,

First of all congratulations for your beast. Glad to know you re happy with her. 800 kms done already !! seems you re enjoying some good escapades with your new member. Wish you miles & miles of happiness & i am getting a feeling that the t-bhp Storme army is just getting ready
Old 14th February 2013, 21:47   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ALL,

Congrats on the Storme. The storme numbers in Teambhp is slowly picking up.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Storme
Old 14th February 2013, 22:23   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ALL,

Congrats, Prajeesh. Wish you miles of safe journey.

Looks like the VX4x4 is the favorite, regardless of it being priced the highest in Bangalore.

Looking forward to your ownership thread.
Old 15th February 2013, 06:56   #593
BHPian

Quote:
ALL,

So far I am very happy with the Vehicle. No single issue. 70 % Higway and 20 % Village Road and 10 % City Drive
Many congratulations Prajeesh.

It seems its raining stroms here on t-bhp.
Enjoy your ride & do share lots of pictures pls.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:07   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ALL,

Congrats bro! A white Safari always has its own stately splendour.

Enjoy your car and keep updating us please.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:43   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymant View Post
Thanks for the response. However, the two vehicles which I drove were not the demo vehicle. So probably that much of vibrations are acceptable in Storme.
Did you mean the "play" after slotting into gears? Means the gear lever will be moving left & right freely, especially in 2nd & 4th gears?
Old 15th February 2013, 18:20   #596
BHPian

Yesterday, I went to the dealership to book a Storme LX 2013 in Astern Black.

Went through the usual process of haggling for a discount knowing full well that I was too charmed to walk away. Put down 50K as advance and was promised delivery by Feb 28. Got back, made a call to HDFC to know if that loan offer they were bugging me for all this while, still held good. Yes it did. I went off feeling very happy with myself.

Today morning, I received a call from the dealership saying that there were no Black 2013 Stormes available, only 2012. Apparently, Tata Motors had forbidden its dealers from delivering 2013 black Storme LXs until the 2012 inventory was exhausted. The earliest I can hope to get the car is Apr 2013.

"How 'bout a white?"
"How 'bout we don't negotiate my choice of color, especially one that is not even mine?!"

I had made it amply clear at the time of booking that I was NOT OK with anything but a Black 2013 Storme.

"Are you OK with a VX?"
"Sure. But I only have money for an LX."

But I'm sure it is experience that teaches them to persist.

That was soon followed by a call from the Tata Motors ASM. Same questions, same answers. He finally said that there were 64 black 2012 Storme LXs in the inventory, and I could get my Storme only once that was exhausted. He promised that I could have the car by March end, and I promised to look at their competition. He trumped that with another promise of keeping me posted on how the stocks were moving and I reciprocated that too. I promised to let him know how their competition was doing to get me into their *UV.

I sent an email to the dealer telling him to hold off on the booking as the promised delivery date was Feb 28, which has gone out of the window and flown half way across the world by now. Called up another dealer I had been in touch with and he said that he knows of 1 black 2013 Storme LX lying in stock.

"Then? What are you waiting for?"

"But to get that allotted, I have to get a lot of approvals and talk to higher ups. So, you have to confirm that you will book today if I get that."

"I will reach Bangalore by 8 PM and meet you at a location of your choice at 10. Get the car."

Calls back in 10 mins to let me know that, apparently, that car was booked in the morning. Where is such luck when I need it! The earliest he can get me a black 2013 LX is in 2.5 months! May 2013.

The funny thing is - each of the 3 parties I spoke to had a different estimate of how long I would have to wait. Each of them were also from a different link of the supply chain, such that they had different level of visibility and access to the ground reality. Which is what makes it a little hard to take in.

So I turn to team-bhp, which has provided me so much insight into the various stages of arrival of the Storme and enabled me to make an educated choice: Should I just cool my heels off and wait? We have seen a lot of cars with astonishing waiting periods. I am fine with waiting in a queue. But it is a little different here - It is not that they cannot get me the Storme I want; just that they won't. I will NEVER buy a 2012 Storme in 2013 without being compensated for it. Isn't it better to keep a customer by pushing a black Storme through production instead?
Old 15th February 2013, 18:27   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Did you mean the "play" after slotting into gears? Means the gear lever will be moving left & right freely, especially in 2nd & 4th gears?
Now that you mention it, probably it is this "play" which I felt. Usually driving in the city, I have my right hand on the steering wheel while my left hand rests on the gear knob. The vibrations which I felt were definitely right and left. It was as if I was holding a cantilever vibrating at high frequency. In fact the frequency was in the audible range as I could definitely discern a whining noise (which my wife also noted). I haven't driven any other SUV so I have no way of comparing with any other.
If it was the play, can it be reduced by using a thicker gearbox oil?
Old 15th February 2013, 19:04   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymant View Post
Now that you mention it, probably it is this "play" which I felt....
If it was the play, can it be reduced by using a thicker gearbox oil?
I have seen the gear lever having such a play in some TD videos. Hence I asked it. I am not really sure whether you can change it by a thicker oil, mostly the answer shall be negative.
Old 15th February 2013, 19:43   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today morning, I received a call from the dealership saying that there were no Black 2013 Stormes available, only 2012. Apparently, Tata Motors had forbidden its dealers from delivering 2013 black Storme LXs until the 2012 inventory was exhausted. The earliest I can hope to get the car is Apr 2013.
That's surprising, a friend just booked a Black LX at Prerana and was promised delivery under 20 days, no mention of clearing existing stocks or whatever. Of course, there are no discounts being given.
Old 15th February 2013, 20:48   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
That's surprising, a friend just booked a Black LX at Prerana and was promised delivery under 20 days, no mention of clearing existing stocks or whatever. Of course, there are no discounts being given.
The second dealer IS Prerana.

Did your friend book today? In that case, he might be the lucky guy that beat me to the sole black 2013 LX that they said was left with them. He might also have been particular about the 2013 manufacture.

Else, could it be a 2012 they are trying to palm off?

Most Viewed