Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 16:12   #736
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post

how do you get guys who are paid very little with no incentives, to perform a repeatitive task with consistency and rigour. The answers to this will be different from each person to whom it is asked. My philosophical bent will make me say that training, ethos in the company, and responsibility, pride and leadership that the company manages to evoke in the workers will be the best way to solve this. So if Tata Motors is a quality control disaster, it is the failure of the management, no one else.

Let me share my experience with TATA service.

Once in a while i will be standing when the service is done.

I was talking to a service supervisor. He has come from Ford service centre to TATA.
I asked him why?
his response " service and pay conditions are good. His family is covered for medical benefits etc etc"

I have asked him about problems in upgrading to safari/aria.

His advise is avoid TATA . He joins TATA group for better benefits and advises its customers to avoid TATA.

He forgets that fact that if the customers take his advise and moves away from TATA, it is his job is at stake over a period of time.

Many times i see lot of workers moving here and there without doing anything in the workshop.

Only thing they fear is call from Pune. They literally beg customers for better grades.

I hope they pay more attention to the work in hand rather than begging customers for better grades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
No, i am talking about their famous quality control, why should door panels be loose, why must they forget to tighten nuts and bolts, why should mechanics dismantle 20 screws and then put back only 10? If this is not sheer laziness then I dont know what is...
It is 100 per cent true. more than 50% of the problems in TATA cars are due to the laziness in service centers. They do not fix all the screws which they removed.

my brother's philosophy is do not tell any minor issues to TATA service guys. They will make it a big issue
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 17:46   #737
BHPian

Just did a td on the Storme. Its a MAJOR improvement over the older version. Refinement was an area which really surprised me. They had laid out a obstacle course as part of a promotion drive and I came away suitably impressed by its capabilities. Imagine I could perform donuts with ease and minimal body roll. Worth looking at now I think if only the service issues are sorted out.
Old 13th March 2013, 17:05   #738
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Worth looking at now I think if only the service issues are sorted out.
Very frankly speaking, Safaris post 2010 had 2 major issues:

1. Interior fit and finish. This has been very evidently sorted out in the Storme and apart from scuffing of the gear lever leather (which is common to most leather gear levers in India including those of the Innova), the interiors had held up pretty well in the 2500km example that I drove.

2. Pre mature suspension wear and tear. This should be sorted out by the usage of the Aria platform and suspension components since we are yet to see Aria owners report of pre mature suspension wear.

Hypothetically speaking, the Storme doesn't seem to have these issues and we are yet to hear of any niggles, on TBHP, or otherwise, yet.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 17:48   #739
BHPian

Definitely true. They also had a Storme on this off road show that clearly had undergone some major abuse.......but it still was holding up pretty well with a few issues though. What I would also like to see is a little more kit like auto climate control, more airbags and a navigation system. I bet then it will give the XUV smthing to worry about. What say?
Old 13th March 2013, 18:10   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, i am talking about their famous quality control, why should door panels be loose, why must they forget to tighten nuts and bolts, why should mechanics dismantle 20 screws and then put back only 10? If this is not sheer laziness then I dont know what is...
+1 to this, in the case of TASC, all the checklists are in place for proper service of the cars but they are seldom adhered to, all a TASC needs to do is strictly follow every point in the checklist and educate their mechanics to also get habituated to following it strictly, if this is done one can see that the components do not fail prematurely in most cases.
Old 13th March 2013, 22:59   #741
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

I really like the Analog clock on Strome. It is classy. The black knobs below spoils the overall look though!
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-tatasafaristormeclock.jpg
Now a days, more and more luxury cars moving to Analog clock. 2013 Audi A8 is one such example.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-audi_clock.jpg
Which looks better Tata or Audi

Last edited by teamveevee : 13th March 2013 at 23:01.
Old 14th March 2013, 00:06   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

2. Pre mature suspension wear and tear. This should be sorted out by the usage of the Aria platform and suspension components since we are yet to see Aria owners report of pre mature suspension wear.

Hypothetically speaking, the Storme doesn't seem to have these issues and we are yet to hear of any niggles, on TBHP, or otherwise, yet.
As mentioned in my earlier post I can very well say that Aria platform is very good and mature in Storme. Driven 11k kms in my Storme and no sign of any kind of issue with suspension. Maybe its too early yet.

But one thing I can surely say that I am impressed with the Aria platform. Camber adjustment in Storme just takes 15 minutes to be fixed! That too without even removing the Tyres. If you have experienced Camber adjustment in any of your cars, it certainly takes more that an hour to fix/adjust it!

And here are some of the pcs for all of you!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5931.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5934.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5941.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5952.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5957.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5969.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5976.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5978.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5987.jpg  

Navsangeet is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 12:07   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I really like the Analog clock on Strome. It is classy. The black knobs below spoils the overall look though!
It looks even classier at night bro, with a soft semi translucent purplish backlight effect.
Old 14th March 2013, 15:54   #744
BANNED

Quote:
Ranganath profusely apologized and told me that he would do the needful to set things right and promised to try his best to get a 4WD TD car for me in a couple of days.
Did I speak too early??

I m yet to get a call from Ranganath and it has been more than 3 days now.

I did get a call from the Tata Motors customer service number yesterday and I told them that I needed to test drive a 4WD Storme. Let us see what happens.
Old 14th March 2013, 16:01   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did I speak too early??

I m yet to get a call from Ranganath and it has been more than 3 days now.

I did get a call from the Tata Motors customer service number yesterday and I told them that I needed to test drive a 4WD Storme. Let us see what happens.
Dev, Ranganath did speak to me about your request for a 4x4 TD, he is currently held up in some meetings with the parent companies and hence not accessible this week, but he has put out word to try and get a 4x4 in Bangalore.
Old 14th March 2013, 16:26   #746
BHPian

I always thought the new Safari Storme could get a more smarter front end and here are few designs I created in ppt!!

Some designs, the car strikes resemblance to other SUV's here in India!

Take it with a pinch of salt and nothing serious about this stuff! just fun!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-safari-1.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-safari-2.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-safari-3.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-safari-4.jpg  

vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 17:04   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pre mature suspension wear and tear
Mines lasted till 60k. Never stopped for humps etc till then.
And its 1,16lac kms! all's ok till date!

Yes, had to change those tie roads twice. Yet to check it after the 60k suspension work.
Old 15th March 2013, 20:43   #748
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic catch this is. All 3 bulls seem ready to start a triangular fight soon. Or the other two are too intimidated by the Silver Beast. Or they have agreed to live in harmony with each other ever after

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-edit2.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th March 2013 at 20:52. Reason: Resized image
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 22:45   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navsangeet View Post
As mentioned in my earlier post I can very well say that Aria platform is very good and mature in Storme. Driven 11k kms in my Storme and no sign of any kind of issue with suspension. Maybe its too early yet.

But one thing I can surely say that I am impressed with the Aria platform. Camber adjustment in Storme just takes 15 minutes to be fixed! That too without even removing the Tyres. If you have experienced Camber adjustment in any of your cars, it certainly takes more that an hour to fix/adjust it!

And here are some of the pcs for all of you!
Gill saab, if you dont mind telling, was the registration number 6111(Gill) expensive to buy?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5987.jpg  

Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 23:39   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

Gill saab, if you dont mind telling, was the registration number 6111(Gill) expensive to buy?
Luckily I got it for Rs. 5000 extra (additional to regular registration charges), otherwise in Chandigarh It generally goes for bidding.

Thanks for asking!

Most Viewed