Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 12:29   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Buying a vehicle is an emotional decision, some how practical thoughts foul this process
Example: Practical thought says for the city a 3 lac hatchback is enough or may be a 5 lac hatch with auto everything. For 2-4 people this much is more than enough. So the Storme doesnt fit here at all.
If you need to haul 7 people there are better MUV available starting from a humble Versa. Why need 150bhp/2.2 liter?

So if one has decided from his heart on the Storme, waiting for supposed ironing out of supposed glitches is futile. I believe TML honors all kinds of warranties in the worst case, so the fear of paying for a part is not correct.
Plus delaying an emotional decision spoils the pleasure big time, maybe waiting for a few months may make one buy a boring hatch after .
PS: IMO make rational decisions when buying a mixer or a washing machine (an appliance), for us autoheads a car/bike is not an appliance
Agree to every word. Somehow in all my purchases, bikes and cars, I have always known from the very begining what I was going to buy. That comes from the heart and is reinforced solid the first time you ride or drive the vehicle. You just KNOW this is the one. All the other bad press associated (if so), you accept gladly as part and parcel of your decision.

Of course that still does not stop me from spending a lot of time doing a huge amount of research and what if scenarios and tabulated comparos on the backs of old envelopes. Reading all reviews and comparos. Calling up juorno big wig friends and eating their brains for their opinion (leading questions!). And striking up conversations with totally unknown owners on the road when I spot the vehicle I am interested in.

But as my fed up daughter and long suffering wife once told me (when I was trying to persuade them into one more test drive in an Aria), "Why are you doing all this? You know in the end you are going to buy the Storme!" (ditto for when I asked their opinion on the Urban Bronze, and we had yet to see a clean shiny Black anywhere in the flesh - "You know in the end you are going to buy the black!").

Last edited by ebonho : 6th April 2013 at 12:33.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 12:42   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Agree to every word. Somehow in all my purchases, bikes and cars, I have always known from the very begining what I was going to buy.
Same feeling here. When someone asks me why, the answer usually is: because.
I cant explain rationally why did I choose the GX over an XUV, or why a TB500 when I can buy a Ninja or a Duke. IMO with no offense to anyone, XUV is too wannabe with chinese gizmos and not long, wide or big enough for my inflated ego
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 23:09   #813
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
So if one has decided from his heart on the Storme, waiting for supposed ironing out of supposed glitches is futile.
I could not understand any logic in this. Why is having a relatively glitch free vehicle futile?
Quote:
I believe TML honors all kinds of warranties in the worst case, so the fear of paying for a part is not correct.
Many parts are not covered under warranty. Secondly, as far as I know, Tata has not invented a time machine which gives you the days you spent at the service center.
Quote:
Plus delaying an emotional decision spoils the pleasure big time, maybe waiting for a few months may make one buy a boring hatch after .
PS: IMO make rational decisions when buying a mixer or a washing machine (an appliance), for us autoheads a car/bike is not an appliance
IF you cannot wait, they you are just kidding yourself about making an emotional decision. You just want to tell yourself you are making an emotional decision. When you are really emotional about a vehicle, you can wait for years, what is a few months. I know people who did not buy a vehicle for 8 years because they wanted a freelander. So till they could not afford it, they made do with a bike. That is an emotional decision.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 07:31   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I could not understand any logic in this. Why is having a relatively glitch free vehicle futile?

Many parts are not covered under warranty. Secondly, as far as I know, Tata has not invented a time machine which gives you the days you spent at the service center.

IF you cannot wait, they you are just kidding yourself about making an emotional decision. You just want to tell yourself you are making an emotional decision. When you are really emotional about a vehicle, you can wait for years, what is a few months. I know people who did not buy a vehicle for 8 years because they wanted a freelander. So till they could not afford it, they made do with a bike. That is an emotional decision.
Replies below

Who said its futile to wait for a glitch free vehicle?

I understand many wearables and consumables are not covered under warranty. Parts which shouldnt fail are covered. If you had a bad experience otherwise please share for us to know

So if you wait for a decade riding a bike waiting for a car which you cant afford, then you are making an emotional decision. If you buy what you like on the spur of the moment because you have the money, then you are not?
I have nothing to say to your comment above.
Cheers.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 12:31   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How long do you wait? Is there a golden mean? Or like the time machine do we also now need a magic ball?

Personally, what I believe is that all that happens when you wait is that you get older.

P.S. Credit for the above line goes elsewhere - just cannot remember where at the moment.

I guess since I waited close to 2 years for the Storme, and did not buy the Safari and get it over with, I must be a pretty emotional guy.

Just kidding Tanveer. Veterans need to support newbies.

Plus I do not think "time spent at workshops" ever figured in the lexicon of any Bullet rider. If anything we get withdrawal pangs if everything is going ok and we do not have anything to be looked at for more than 3 consecutive weeks in a row.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP.
Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th April 2013 at 13:17.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 12:41   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Plus I do not think "time spent at workshops" ever figured in the lexicon of any Bullet rider. If anything we get withdrawl pangs if everything is going ok and we do not have anything to be looked at for more than 3 consecutive weeks in a row.
Very well said. If there isnt a bit of maintenance, or a bit of jazzing up the interiors, or shodding it with better tires, and all the other works, then there isn't much to a Safari or Bullet.

I yearn for the former and own the latter and nothing in my stable can claim the doting that the bullet does. When I do buy my storme, nothing will change except I will have two things to dote on.

I have bought a new car from Tata and did not have major issues and when parts failed, they did replace them without much fuss. However, having to spend time in the garage is not to anyone's liking unless if it is for the Bull. With the bullet, Its more like a community time, catching up with other bulleteers and checking out their rides. But for the Storme, I would like to spend more time at the Cardecor and on/off the highway and less time at the service centre. When it comes to cars, i would any day appreciate the quality and reliablility of a Honda or Toyota. But we all are emotional here and for good reasons.

Cheers!
teja484 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 14:07   #817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How long do you wait? Is there a golden mean? Or like the time machine do we also now need a magic ball?

Personally, what I believe is that all that happens when you wait is that you get older.

P.S. Credit for the above line goes elsewhere - just cannot remember where at the moment.

I guess since I waited close to 2 years for the Storme, and did not buy the Safari and get it over with, I must be a pretty emotional guy.
Two years! Well you are pretty emotional. We flogged our aging indica for 2 years more than I would have liked, because we were able to save enough for a 2.2 EX 4x4 (Used to cost 9L ex showroom).
For Tata's a 6 month wait is a good. The "major" strand you on a highway issues are usually sorted in most cars by that time, unless you get a vehicle like mine. I kept getting severe issues well into extended warranty. The parts replaced are worth lakhs, and finally, at almost 100,000kms on the odo I have a relatively reliable vehicle now.
That said, the way Storme sales are falling, I expect discounts of 25-40K to being rolling in around May June timeframe. So waiting a few months more can get you a cheaper vehicle.
Old 8th April 2013, 15:41   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two years! Well you are pretty emotional. We flogged our aging indica for 2 years more than I would have liked, because we were able to save enough for a 2.2 EX 4x4 (Used to cost 9L ex showroom).
Yup. Mentioned in my ownership thread here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...storme-ex.html

Though to be fair, the Baleno was going strong and purring along as always and there was no real flogging involved.

Just got her serviced and polished and new oil and filters and fluids and plugs. Now new tyres coming next. She is super smooth and flying. Love her!

Quote:
For Tata's a 6 month wait is a good. The "major" strand you on a highway issues are usually sorted in most cars by that time, unless you get a vehicle like mine. I kept getting severe issues well into extended warranty. The parts replaced are worth lakhs, and finally, at almost 100,000kms on the odo I have a relatively reliable vehicle now.
Agree with you there. But after nearly 2 years I was done waiting. Now I hope all that extended testing pays off. Fingers crossed. Otherwise Extended Warranty + Silver AMC. (Hope I do not regret the decision of not extending it to Gold).

Quote:
That said, the way Storme sales are falling, I expect discounts of 25-40K to being rolling in around May June timeframe. So waiting a few months more can get you a cheaper vehicle.
The flip side is that all the early bird Storme buyers bought their vegicles 70+K cheaper than what they are available for now anyways (this is Pune I am speaking of - am sure place like Bangalore would be much more).

That said, yes when the 2 DIN comes, I will surely try and get that one retrofitted into Beastie!
Old 9th April 2013, 12:41   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The flip side is that all the early bird Storme buyers bought their vegicles 70+K cheaper than what they are available for now anyways (this is Pune I am speaking of - am sure place like Bangalore would be much more).

That said, yes when the 2 DIN comes, I will surely try and get that one retrofitted into Beastie!
Ebonho - you are correct - due to the excise duty hike, prices have increased but as TSK mentioned, definetly discounts are round the corner. As such 20k is something you can extract from the dealer even now. Many dealers also have 2012 stocks which they are willing to bill at pre-excise duty hike rates. I hope the 2Din unit comes in and will help me take the plunge

Also I just got to know from the previous few posts that the Safari has the same cult following like the RE Bullet ! Seriously didnt think the Safari is seen in the same light as the Bullet - Wow !

Last edited by narayan : 9th April 2013 at 12:43.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 12:50   #820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
also have 2012 stocks which they are willing to bill at pre-excise duty hike rates. I hope the 2Din unit comes in and will help me take the plunge

Also I just got to know from the previous few posts that the Safari has the same cult following like the RE Bullet ! Seriously didnt think the Safari is seen in the same light as the Bullet - Wow !
Willing to Bill? Its your right. Excise duty is at factory gates. All vehicles which arrived at stockyard before budget will be billed at 27% excise instead of 30% excise.
As for cult following, the Safari original does have cult following, but the spare wheel removal has lead to a drastic decrease in the followers, esp in the Safari's biggest market(Punjab)
Dealers are now offering to retrofit a spare wheel on the tail gate of the storme
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 13:05   #821
BHPian

I am talking to atleast 3 dealers here in Bangalore and they claim they have none of 2012 models in stockyard. There are a few in Factory which need to be ordered for delivery. Total discounts going now is 12k for 2012 model + a gold coin + 20k xchange bonus (if vehicle sold to them - they are as is undervaluing the cars to make that 20k). So billing at pre budget rates is that a possibility?
Old 9th April 2013, 13:13   #822
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer is correct. Billing (and Exise) is at factory gate.

Narayan, that said, even with increasing discounts, a total discount of 70+K is near impossible. It will be more 20-40K.

And I do not expect these to kick in before Diwali in any case.

Ditto for the 2-DIN.

@Tanveer, ya I heard about Delhi dealers doing this "dummy" stepney fitment. Would love to see a photo! Who knows ......
Old 9th April 2013, 23:38   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Willing to Bill? Its your right. Excise duty is at factory gates. All vehicles which arrived at stockyard before budget will be billed at 27% excise instead of 30% excise.
As for cult following, the Safari original does have cult following, but the spare wheel removal has lead to a drastic decrease in the followers, esp in the Safari's biggest market(Punjab)
Dealers are now offering to retrofit a spare wheel on the tail gate of the storme
Now you are talking..
I thought this might happen.
Any further info? Which dealers? What cost? Is warranty valid? Any pics available?
Old 10th April 2013, 13:40   #824
BHPian

I think part of the problem with the old Safari's stepney on rear door, is the fact that the tire sits in the middle of the door as opposed to the Endeavour which has its wheel on the extreme right. With the positioning of the wheel closer to the hinges, the force applied on the hinges will surely be reduced. When Ford has got it right, why not Tata. Maybe a design change like that can revive the Safari to some extent. The butch presence is a must for somehting like Safari.

However, only the older safari owners will better know the problems associated with the door hinges and the rear door rattles. I too got the idea of picking up the older Safari wheel cover and retrofitting a light metal frame that can hold the wheel cover but then there is so much more to fabricating something that is durable and also does not look like an eyesore. I am positive that there will soon be some good options in the market.
Old 10th April 2013, 13:51   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Punjab still is relatively a bigger market for Safari than other states. But it is a trend which is on the wane. My 3 year old safari had no takers in the Safari hotbed - Jalandhar, when i wanted to sell it last year. Ultimately, 6 months after I put in on the dock, I found a buyer - and if you haven't guessed it the typical NRI from Punjab.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks