Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 15:10   #826
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As for cult following, the Safari original does have cult following, but the spare wheel removal has lead to a drastic decrease in the followers, esp in the Safari's biggest market(Punjab)
Dealers are now offering to retrofit a spare wheel on the tail gate of the storme
This is a bit like the false Bonnet Scoop option. But seriously the rear of the new Strome Safari looks quite good. To me even better than the older one and a lot better than the Aria Rear. They have managed to break the flat back look with the dual exhaust and the chrome covers for them, the black panel below the rear glass, the chrome stip in the middle and the back cladding in the bumper center. It all works well together.

Do agree that like the Bullet has it's look so does the Safari and the Rear tyre does take a bit away from it. Yet I actually like the rear of the new storme more than the front. And putting the tyre on the door would not be a good Idea now as the hinge is not designed for the load as also the fact that one is raising the centre of gravity of the vehicle and mounting a tyre at the rear extreme will only add to a front rear boat like movement on braking and accelerating. This movement is very reduced in the storme and adding the tyre on the rear door will add it back on.

Also the space where the tyre is mounted presently in the Storme will just get wasted.

Sometimes we go to great lengths for just the "look". I guess the guys who put the tyre on the rear door will also put a metal guard up front. Yep I did like that look myself when I had the Safari TCIC but the new front bumpers do not easily provide a space to mount the front guard (with mid support rather than just base support) as was possible in the TCIC without cutting the bumper.

Would suggest those who want the tyre out on the rear door to skip the storme and stick to the previous Safari which is also available.

The Safari would not look good with the spare mounted closer to the hinge on the rear. The Endy is shorter and wider so it works for it vs the taller Safari.

Last edited by ACM : 10th April 2013 at 15:17.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 15:50   #827
BHPian

Quote:
As for cult following, the Safari original does have cult following, but the spare wheel removal has lead to a drastic decrease in the followers, esp in the Safari's biggest market(Punjab)
Dealers are now offering to retrofit a spare wheel on the tail gate of the storme
Surprisingly, I have noticed the reverse happen since the past few months. Increasingly, the old Safaris can be spotted without the spare wheel on the tail gate!

Not sure why, but it could be the case that with the launch of Storme, people have started to think that the Safari sans spare wheel doesn't look so bad after all
avisidhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 16:49   #828
Distinguished - BHPian

TD'ed the Storme again.

Was too easy getting used to it, esp with my feel of the Sumo.

1. Engine sounds a little coarse on hard acceleration
2. Fair amount of engine noise comes into cabin
3. Driver door - mild/soft creaking noise.

Storme owners only- pls respond, esp regarding #3.
Old 13th April 2013, 17:48   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

Surprisingly, I have noticed the reverse happen since the past few months. Increasingly, the old Safaris can be spotted without the spare wheel on the tail gate!

Not sure why, but it could be the case that with the launch of Storme, people have started to think that the Safari sans spare wheel doesn't look so bad after all
Yes you are absolutely right and spot on.I have seen many old safaris with sparewheel removed in punjab and in chandigarh as well.
I think its not a matter of coincidence and seems like its wilfully done. I am curious, next time i spot one I will definitely ask the reason.
Old 13th April 2013, 18:03   #830
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Can the spare wheel be floor mounted in a Safari? If not, the last thing you want is a flat tire on your hands and no spare.
It would certainly help in better rearward visibility and reduction of rattles though.
Old 13th April 2013, 18:12   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Can the spare wheel be floor mounted in a Safari? If not, the last thing you want is a flat tire on your hands and no spare.
No, but the tyre is possibly inside the cabin
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 18:32   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
TD'ed the Storme again.

1. Yes, the engine sounds coarse if pushed hard, but I have realized that this happens only if I am one gear lower than where I should be. I find that shifting down causes the engine to emit a higher pitched, but seemingly more controlled grunt

2. Yes, you are right - the cabin is very very quiet, except for the engine noise. It blocks out road noise better than nearly any other car I can think of. Only one thing though - one of the windows is not very well insulated in my case, and lets in a little wind and also just a little road noise too. NVH levels are far superior to any other Tata car, including the Aria. If you exclude noise from the engine, I would say NVH levels are top-class. However, engine noise is a problem. I am now used to driving at around 1800 RPM, or asking my driver to stay between 1800 and 2200. Dont have a noise problem at all at these levels. When I am on the phone in the Storme, the person on the other side of the phone can barely tell that I am in a car.

3. I dont have a creaking noise in the driver door. I have a creaking noise in my tailgate though. My 1000 KM service is due now - I will get this checked up. My only problem with the driver door is that I need to slam it shut, otherwise it gets only 'half shut'.
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 18:58   #833
BHPian

Quote:
TD'ed the Storme again.

I have not seen any of the above issues 😃. No creaking noise what so ever . I regularly do highways in the nights at 3 digit speeds listening to dire straits hope this helps . I have logged 8000km on my beast .
Fortuner71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 20:09   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is smoothening out at 1100 kms. I like it whatever it is.

Quote:
Not really. I cannot hear the typical "diesel" sound ever. The horn sounds like its a million miles away.

Quote:
From Day 1. I think its something internal to do with the glass power mechanism.

The other day when I was putting the glass up, a small piece of black thermocol type material (you know the soft foam packing type thing -like yoga mats?) with a pinch in the center popped out and on to my lap, with the glass making a loud squeaking sound.

The sound repeated (on up and down) a few times later. Difficult to reproduce. Sometime it happens, sometimes not.

Now I see that my driver side glass has a few vertical scratches.

I think it needs to be checked. Somethings touching or not right inside.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 11:41   #835
Distinguished - BHPian

Question regarding auto-lock feature:

The doors auto-lock at/after 20kmph.
What happens when we stop at a signal ?
What happens if I switch off the engine at a signal ?
Old 15th April 2013, 17:36   #836
BHPian

The doors unlock when the key is taken out of the slot. If you stop at a signal and switch off the car, doors won't unlock till the key remains inserted.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 20:12   #837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pictured here is the gear lever's faux leather @ just 5,000 kms. Like in the old Safari, these seams will prematurely fray, tear and develop holes:
Looks like a consistent problem. NOticed the same in the TD vehicle here, which had run just about 4300 km.

Storme owners - have you faced this yet ?
Old 15th April 2013, 20:24   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like a consistent problem. NOticed the same in the TD vehicle here, which had run just about 4300 km.

Storme owners - have you faced this yet ?
Not but this looks very feeble and will not last long
Old 16th April 2013, 15:40   #839
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep had the chance to use a 5000 km driven storme for about 3 days and the gear shift cover was not in great shape, the gear knob itself had worn out leather and this is quite odd considering that the leather on the Aria gear knob does not get spoilt even after 50,000 kms and 2+ years - so they do have the skill and source but have selected a cheaper option. - The Seats of the VX though were of good quality leather and felt good as new at 5000 kms.
Old 16th April 2013, 16:33   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
.. the gear shift cover was not in great shape, the gear knob itself had worn out leather and this is quite odd ..
agreed.

On an another note, had a quick TD of the direct competition. The XUV felt a little more car like, while the Storme has the SUV in it. IMO, the two are polarizing vehicles -who likes one is not likely to like the other. Needless to say, I feel much more at home in the Storme.

But would miss the 6th gear & the air-bags. I think TML should also have done the same 3 trim line-up as with the XUV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks